http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:33:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Most Important First-Person Shooters of All Time  (Read 1998 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2006, 04:45:04 PM »

Gamasutra has an article up entitled "The Most Important First-Person Shooters of All Time".  It's an interesting read for fans of the genre.'

You can probably guess what #1 is.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »

I'll take Wolfenstein #1.  It seemed to really start everything off.  I'm not as huge on Half Life as a lot of people are either.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »

Half Life did nothing for me.  I can't stand the game at all, and saved my money when HL2 came out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:23:10 PM »

Well, there's a difference between liking a game and thinking it "brought the genre forward" in the biggest way. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:33 PM »

I'd have put Halo on the list for a truly excellent co-op experience, or Rainbow Six for the one-shot death. The "storyline interaction crap" for HL doesn't cut it though; Duke3d did it just as well (both were Sci-Fi, one was campy and the other was "legit").

AvP should have been higher on the list; I also would have put an honerable mention to TimeShift (IIRC).  And WHAT about Jedi Knight??? Christ, that storyline was WAY better than HL1...

* Purge is now grumpy

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »

Halo only made a difference for the console and even for a console, it was pretty bland.  Poor level design.  What halo did for the console was, made FPS games workable using a joystick, and offered great multiplayer.    It did nothing significant for the pc crowd.  The pc version was bland and offered nothing new.

While FPS games were popular before Half Life, Half Life was the one that merged everything together, solid graphics, awesome sound, great AI, and a compelling story.  Before that, you would get pieces of that in different FPS games, never found in one game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2006, 06:40:33 PM

I'd have put Halo on the list for a truly excellent co-op experience...

I think the original Doom had pretty great co-op so Halo didn't really distinguish itself there.

Rainbow Six should have gotten a nod for starting the whole "realistic-tactical" shooter genre.  I think it came out before Counter-Strike was developed right?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 07:18:05 PM »

The list is solid and Half-Life does deserve #1.

Ultima Underworld was too much of an RPG to make the list, apparently, despite its stronger-than-anything-else-for-years engine.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »

There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's guys trying their best to ignore the 800 lb gorilla. icon_biggrin

I remember when major companies had to specifically enact rules against playing any of those top 5 games during company time...Oh, wait, that never happened.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 08, 2006, 08:01:12 PM

There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's guys trying their best to ignore the 800 lb gorilla. icon_biggrin

I remember when major companies had to specifically enact rules against playing any of those top 5 games during company time...Oh, wait, that never happened.
I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.  Are you saying that since the top 5 games weren't played during company time they didn't advance the genre very much?  I'll try my best not to ignore the 800 lb gorilla but at this point I think he just flew right over my head.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:43:35 PM »

No Duke 3D?  Wasn't it the next big game after Doom?  It should have at least gotten an honorable mention.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 01:55:57 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 08, 2006, 11:43:35 PM

No Duke 3D?  Wasn't it the next big game after Doom?  It should have at least gotten an honorable mention.

they mentioned it in the opening.

As to Co-op, Halo didn't punish people for dying, and their waypoint system kicked ass. I agree with LE (I was trying to remember the nagging title I couldn't recall). UU was freakin' awesome, and since you could shoot a bow, it was a first person shooter.

ROTT was a standout for gore, Serious Sam for the 10000000 monsters rushing you, and Hexen / Heretic for the goth stuff.

I'd also add Unreal / Wheel of Time for storyline, and Q3 Arena and UT series for multiplayer.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 02:20:39 AM »

I loooooooved Half-Life, and would defend it to the death.

And Goldeneye rules - I was happy to see that inclusion.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 03:05:26 AM »

Don't mind the list overall as none of these is ever going to make everybody happy. The only game missing IMO is the previously mentioned Rainbow 6. Should have at least gotten an honorable mention.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 03:27:17 AM »

Pssh...we all know Duke Nukem Forever is #1... .... ......bhahahhaha I can't say it with a straight face!   icon_lol

Personally, I'd bump Tribes up a notch or two.  With a good team that was one hell of a great game.  I'd also deflate the hypemachine that is Goldeneye.  I've played it.  It isn't all that and a ham sammich.  I'll totally agree with the number 1 pick though.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 12:36:48 PM »

I am mad that Tresspasser didn't make the list. I mean come on the crate stacking in that was incredible.

Tribes should definately be further up the list.  I also feel Deus Ex for me personally advanced FPS by the most.  Actually every FPS I have played since Deus Ex has been a major let down. 
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »

The question is "The Most Important First-Person Shooters of All Time" The real question should be is "what was the First Person shooter that started it all".

There have been Many Many great First person shooters as mentioned in this Post. I feel without the creative Wolfenstein this Genre would be different if it existed at all...

Briko

Briko
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »

I have to say that I appreciate Marathon being on the list.  I remember so well working my way through those creepy hallways - for its time, the suspense level was awesome.

xbox live: nude rick james
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 02:57:02 AM »

You know, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, while not strictly a shooter in the traditional sense did bring normal mapping to the table first.  That has gotta count for something, give its widespread use now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 03:26:49 AM »

It's kind of silly for Halo not to be on the list.  Goldeneye may have brought FPS games to consoles, but Halo opened the floodgates (no pun intended  icon_biggrin).  If there had been only Goldeneye and no Halo, I doubt we'd see anywhere near the number of FPS games on consoles that we do now.  Regardless of what anyone thinks of the game, it definitely had a large impact on the FPS genre.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:17:45 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 03:33:17 AM »

I'm ok with the list but don't agree with Goldeneye really. Halo should be there, Marathon is iffy for me.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 04:02:45 AM »

Halo needed at least an honorable mention (for the same reason Doom is on the list).  Goldeneye is a little iffy to be on the actual list but I can understand it's importance.

Just Hiro will do.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 08, 2006, 08:07:14 PM

I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.  Are you saying that since the top 5 games weren't played during company time they didn't advance the genre very much?  I'll try my best not to ignore the 800 lb gorilla but at this point I think he just flew right over my head.

Wonderpug, the 800lb gorilla I'm talking about is the one game on that list that had a cultural impact on NON-gamers.  Doom transcended gaming, and brought attention to gaming like no other title on this list.  No, it was not the first, no it wasn't that best, no, it's not event the best selling (in total numbers sold) FPS.  What it is is the first game to broaden the market IMMENSLY.  All of the other titles here were great/important/etc to Gamers, and Doom went well beyond gamers, which is why I had the point that corporations started having rules of using network connectivity for Doom.  All of the geeks can whine all they want, Doom is the most important game on this list, by a mile.

As an aside, what are the chances we will ever see another Descent game?  I loved those.  That, and how do you mention Marathon (I've always included it on my list of favorite games ever) and not mention the physics editor?  The Phorte editor still blows almost any non-map editor I've seen out of the water. Hell, most games don't even have such things yet.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 02:24:04 PM »

Yeah, Doom as an honorable mention?  That's laughable.  Who did the voting?  Kids who were in diapers in 1993?
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »

I don't know, I'm glad Tribes got an honorable mention but I think it deserved more. Pretty much any FPS that features multiplayer borrowed something from Tribes.

In-Game Chat (IRC), thank you Tribes.
In-Game Quickchat, thank you Tribes.
Multiple Character classes, thank you Tribes.
Vehicles in multiplayer, thank you Tribes.
Energy meter (think Stamina), thank you Tribes
Purchasing a loadout of weapons, nades, equipment, thank you Tribes.
Deployable Turrets, Mines, and even Shields, thanks Tribes
Introduced / Enhanced Tons of gamemodes (CTF, C&H, King of the Hill, Multiple team games, ect), thanks again Tribes.

It's really hard to think of any recent Multiplayer FPS that hasn't borrowed multiple features from Tribes...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:36:37 PM by Mattc0m » Logged

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »

I agree that Doom should absolutely be high on the list if not number one.  As Big Jake said it brought gaming to a huge audience and had a level of immersion that surpassed everything before and after for years.  It also introduced elements that would mold the industry such as it's multiplayer options and open architecture that allowed player-made maps and mods. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 12:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on September 10, 2006, 02:34:51 PM

I don't know, I'm glad Tribes got an honorable mention but I think it deserved more. Pretty much any FPS that features multiplayer borrowed something from Tribes.

In-Game Quickchat, thank you Tribes. (1)
Multiple Character classes, thank you Tribes. (2)
Deployable Turrets, Mines, and even Shields, thanks Tribes (3)
Introduced / Enhanced Tons of gamemodes (CTF, C&H, King of the Hill, Multiple team games, ect), thanks again Tribes. (4)

It's really hard to think of any recent Multiplayer FPS that hasn't borrowed multiple features from Tribes...

1] What, T and S aren't good enough? (TeamSay and Say) Available in almost any iD game after quake2. (1997, Tribes 1 is 1998)

2] Team Fortress (1) mod had classes before Tribes 1.

3] CounterStrike again.

4] is a mishmash of examples, multiple game types for FPSs dates back before Tribes.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 12:14:08 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 11, 2006, 12:48:24 PM

Quote from: Mattc0m on September 10, 2006, 02:34:51 PM

In-Game Quickchat, thank you Tribes. (1)
Multiple Character classes, thank you Tribes. (2)
Deployable Turrets, Mines, and even Shields, thanks Tribes (3)
Introduced / Enhanced Tons of gamemodes (CTF, C&H, King of the Hill, Multiple team games, ect), thanks again Tribes. (4)

1] What, T and S aren't good enough? (TeamSay and Say) Available in almost any iD game after quake2. (1997, Tribes 1 is 1998)

2] Team Fortress (1) mod had classes before Tribes 1.

3] CounterStrike again.

4] is a mishmash of examples, multiple game types for FPSs dates back before Tribes.

1) Was referring to QuickChat, very much similar to BF2's "CommoRose" or whatever you call it. And a lot of games picked up on it, Counter-Strike was the first to somewhat automate it, though the "Fire in the hole!"s get kind of irritating.

2) I never played the original Team Fortress, but I was under the impression you couldn't customize your class beyond just a basic few selections... no custom load outs, ect.

3) I'm going to assume you meant Team Fortress, and I never played the Quake mod. I know they were in the HL mod... but again I'm not too sure what was in the original Team Fortress.

4) I don't actually remember all of them... it shipped with like 7 different game types out of the box, though, if I remember correctly. I don't think too many where that unique, the point I was trying to get at more was how they were laid our with turrets, inventories, power generators, ect - enhanced gametypes.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: