http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:57:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3/360/PC] Remember Me  (Read 2153 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »

I'm working on the review and it's embargoed, but I wanted to pop in and tell you guys that I'm really surprised at how unique and cool this game really is.  We'll have a review up at 12:01 on Monday morning, a full day before you have to throw down cash.  If the first few hours are any indication, this may be a surprise gem....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:26:07 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »

Are you playing with access to the three exclusive PressenTM moves: Flash Kick, Spinning Bird Kick, and Dragon Punch?  Most DLC of this sort is either completely disposable or terribly unbalancing.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »

I decided I was going to take a chance on this one a few weeks ago and pre-ordered. Glad to hear it's looking positive.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »

Same here.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »

I'm keeping an eye on the PC version; hopefully they do a good port.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2013, 04:28:38 PM

I'm keeping an eye on the PC version; hopefully they do a good port.

Well, I'll defer to David - he's tackling the PC version.  We'll have an answer for both.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:38:22 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 01, 2013, 11:45:48 AM

Are you playing with access to the three exclusive PressenTM moves: Flash Kick, Spinning Bird Kick, and Dragon Punch?  Most DLC of this sort is either completely disposable or terribly unbalancing.

-Autistic Angel

Surely you are joking....right?   I didn't get those, and I can't say I'd want them.  They don't make any sense in the context of the universe. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 02, 2013, 04:38:22 AM

Are you playing with access to the three exclusive PressenTM moves: Flash Kick, Spinning Bird Kick, and Dragon Punch?  Most DLC of this sort is either completely disposable or terribly unbalancing.

-Autistic Angel

Surely you are joking....right?   I didn't get those, and I can't say I'd want them.  They don't make any sense in the context of the universe.  

This is on the Steam page for Remember Me:

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

I didn't think this game was out so soon,i was expecting it later on in the year perhaps around the same time as Watchdogs

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 02, 2013, 04:38:22 AM

Are you playing with access to the three exclusive PressenTM moves: Flash Kick, Spinning Bird Kick, and Dragon Punch?  Most DLC of this sort is either completely disposable or terribly unbalancing.

Surely you are joking....right?   I didn't get those, and I can't say I'd want them.  They don't make any sense in the context of the universe.  

Didn't realize that melee combat was that much a part of the game. From the wiki:

In terms of combat, the game will allow players to create and customize their own move combos in the Combo Lab, which uses four families of fighting moves called Pressens that players can reorganize by creating chains, earned through gaining PMP (Procedural Mastering Power), with a limit of four combos being active at any one time. The four Pressen families are "Regen" (healing), "Power" (damage), "Chain" (duplication and doubling of previous moves) and "Cooldown" (regeneration of S-Pressen energy). Moris has said that there are 50,000 possible Pressen combinations. The special moves, S-Pressens, are made available to the player through the course of the game: the moves enabling them to do things like stun groups of enemies, move at high speed and land more hits, or turn hostile robots into allies which then self-destruct.

And according to Capcom the DLC "Includes all three unique pressen fighting moves plus the exclusive dragon punch, spinning kick, and flash kick moves".  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

Dragon Punch?  does the character go 'Hadoken' while doing it?  icon_lol

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »

Looking forward to the PC review.  btw, if you are interested in the PC version, GMG has it for 37.50 after using this code.  GMG25-PLPFE-BCSAS

code is valid through 6/7

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »

FYI --  IGN trashed this game.    5.9 rating out of 10.     Titled the review article "Forget about it"
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »

The review itself wasn't really negative enough to justify the score. They didn't hate any part, just found it repetitive and wished it had more exploiration of the world and memory hunter sequences. Thought the story, camera, cutscenes were all good, and combat passable.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

the memory remixes were what sounded most interesting, and there's only 4 that come with the game?  I thought those were the major draw of the game... wait... anyone else smell DLC?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »

So because everyone else feels like tossing their reviews out early, so have we.   

http://www.gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/you-will-never-forget-remember-me/

If you want, you can see a botched remix and about 10 minutes of combat, climbing, etc.    I stand behind my review.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:27 AM »

As the guy who played the PC port, I also stand by it. It's really weird and damned exciting. Reminded me of Enslaved or P.N. 03.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

Reviews are all over the place with this game.   I think I might wait for a price drop

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

Ron, you should change the thread title to include PC and 360.  I thought this was a PS3 exclusive due to this thread.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 03, 2013, 12:26:55 PM

Ron, you should change the thread title to include PC and 360.  I thought this was a PS3 exclusive due to this thread.

Done!  Good thinkin!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »

Really enjoyed the review guys  (I'm thinking I read the PC review?).  And you've really made me want the game.   (Edit:  It says right on there it is the ps3 review, duh)

But honestly - I have no idea which platform to get it for.  Can you offer any recommendations with that question in mind?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:07:34 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »

One of the more dispersely review games I've seen in a while. Reviews are all over the map.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »

what I'm seeing I like, and if this had come out later in the summer (or in May) I'd be grabbing it on day one, but with my recent re-addiction to Skyrim and classes I'm forcing myself to wait.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »

Played up to right before the bar.  As I suspected, I'm loving this.

It reminds me of Mirror's Edge, both in the dystopian (though much dirtier) world that needs to be overthrown and in the critical reception and how it connects with me.

I do find the characters a little bland so far.  Like they cast pretty faces who can't act in the movie.  But that's a minor issue.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2013, 09:20:22 PM

Played up to right before the bar.  As I suspected, I'm loving this.

It reminds me of Mirror's Edge, both in the dystopian (though much dirtier) world that needs to be overthrown and in the critical reception and how it connects with me.

I do find the characters a little bland so far.  Like they cast pretty faces who can't act in the movie.  But that's a minor issue.

That won't be the case long term.  You'll get into the characters right after the bar. 

As for platform, the PC version has more bugs but better graphics (or seems to - I honestly thought the PS3 was gorgeous). 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »

Playing on PC with maxed graphics and the game is beautiful.  I'm playing with a 360 controller and the movement is a little off, maybe a touch to fast on the camera controls, I didn't see an option to change any controller settings. 

So far I like the combat, I like having to time your combos so it isn't a button masher, there is thought involved of when to attack and evade.  Some review I read said they didn't need the regen in their combos because they never got hit, he must have played on the easy difficulty.  I'm just starting out on normal and had to find the right time to use the regen combo as I had one life bar left, not sure what happens when you do lose all your health.  I'm still early in the game and they do show you where the jumps and platforms are with an icon, I hope that goes away soon, I'd like to find out on my own.   

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:23 AM »

Is that an option that can be turned off as well?  (the help icons that is)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »

My initial impressions were after 30 minutes and now I've played 2 hours and the game is still great.  The platforming prompts are still there, I haven't tried a harder difficulty to see if that eliminates them but I think it won't.  They do have traps so you have to time some jumps, but for the most part the platforming feels like Uncharted.  The movement still feels a little clunky and I've had some camera problems, but they aren't that big of a deal, those two small things are my only gripes. 

The architecture in each area is amazing and the lighting is unreal.  I was hitting the wrong key to take some screenshots so I only have a couple to show.  I have experienced a little lag every once in a while, it only lasted a couple of seconds each time and it isn't very often so maybe a patch can fix that issue. 

The combat keeps on expanding, I just opened up my 3rd combo.  The button patterns stay the same for each combo, but you put different types of hits on each button press so that you can create custom combos.  Some types are for power, health,  or focus time, so the system has some depth but is easy to execute. 

I'm not sure why other sites have such bad reviews for the game.  I didn't take the time to read them through so I'm not sure what their points were, but so far I'm enjoying the game and hope that others aren't swayed by those reviews and give the game a chance.  It's a new IP that is fun to play and should be supported. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

I'm almost through the first 4 episodes (0-3) and so far my major issues are with the movement and camera.

With a controller, there are 2 speeds - walk with a slight push on the stick and run with a normal push. There is no in between and the transition is a bit clumsy. This has led to some difficulty moving around, particularly initially jumping onto the walls or getting on to ladders. Once you are in traversal or in the middle of a fight it's not much of an issue, but I actually found myself getting a little dizzy from the jerky movement coupled with the tight camera (next topic).

The camera - it's just too close. They should have backed it off a bit, and there is no way to adjust it on the console (maybe you can hack the fov on pc?). Often Nilin is taking up almost the entire screen top to bottom and it takes a bit a right stick fiddling to see what's around. This can be particularly troublesome during fights, where you can wind up in a corner without any idea what's going on.

I agree about the traversal hints - they've removed any challenge from finding where to go. A good deal of the game is dark, so they kind of had to either do that or go the Enslaved route and make all the hand-holds flash. There's really nothing in terms of alternate routes (the occasional hidden item) so it's not that important, really. It's very much along the lines of Uncharted, where the traversal serves to break up the combat. They do make up for it a bit by inserting obstacles/puzzles along the path.

On the console at least, the gameplay options are extremely minimal - there is no way to remove any of the hints in traversal or combat.

Outside of that I am enjoying the game - I like Nilin as a character (I loved the one bit where she twists her ankle and says "suck it up, Nilin" - quite a contrast from Tomb Raider). The build your own combo system is pretty cool and I'm finally getting the hang of the combat. In particular, once I realized the dodge was very similar to the Batman Arkham counter, fighting made a lot more sense. As noted, the game is quite unique looking, and I am very impressed by the cinematic orchestral score.

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »

Impressions, based on about 2.5 hours of play, through Episodes 0, 1 and 2 (out of seven, according to Steam), on PC (tl;dr: seems good, having fun, a few minor quibbles):

I'm digging the world building so far. The central conceit of commoditized memories and the Sensen devices that facilitate their sale / sharing seems well integrated into the world: memory addicts beg for a hit on street corners, there are "memory vending machines", for lack of a better term, lining the streets, etc. And there seems to be a decent amount of written lore and backstory (tied to the collectibles system, sadly). I'm reminded of Mass Effect's Codex in that regard.

The story also has potential. The set up has seemed pretty straightforward and cliched, granted (the game starts with you having amnesia and proceeds with you trying to remember yourself and your place in the world, which has been done many, many times before) but I've just reached a point where something I did had... wider consequences than I might have expected, and Nihlin has started to question some things, which suggests the possibility of a decently complex story to come.

The combat is pleasantly reminiscent of the Arkham games, so far, although not quite as good. Maybe it was just playing as The Goddamned Batman that made the combat in those games so good but my impression here is that, while the mechanics are very similar, Remember Me's combat is a little less visceral and the animations are a little less elegant (the Arkham games were memorable for me in large part because of how seamlessly the various moves interwove). The game is doing a good job of requiring me to use the abilities that I've "remembered", introducing new enemies and bosses at an appropriate pace to up the complexity of the gameplay without overwhelming me.

I like the idea of the combo-based system but I'm not sure about its implementation. There are a large number of individual combat moves (distinctly animated punches, kicks, and blocks), which are divided into categories: damage moves, health-regeneration moves, and cooldown-reduction moves. In practice, the only thing that seems to matter is the category. I haven't noticed combat playing out any differently whether I kick or punch, and all of the moves within a category seem functionally identical: every damage move has the same effect as every other damage move.

There's some platforming, which reminds me (most recently) of Tomb Raider. There's too much interface hand-holding here, however, with an orange arrow on-screen telling you where to jump or climb at pretty much every moment. It is also all very linear, with none of the larger explorable areas of TR. It can look nifty and does provide variety from the combat portions of the game but it feels too simplistic, so far.

I do find the camera to be locked a little too close to the action, and panning around the world seems oddly awkward with my mouse: horizontal panning seems fine, but trying to look significantly up or down seems sluggish). I've also had one CTD.

I'm certainly enjoying the game, so far, with the obvious huge caveat that early impressions here are especially meaningless, as games with this sort of narrative are largely made or broken at the back end: if the twists and resolution to come are compelling, I'll be impressed; if not, no amount of good first impressions will make up the difference.

- Ash
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:15:50 PM by Asharak » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

Enslaved also had a similar problem with platforming being too obvious about the path, as do many games. I wonder if a shift in design could make these segments based more on using skill to navigate these paths, and less just following the path, or at least have a lot more paths.

Something like Mirror's Edge, although not the best example since it had a lot of linear paths. However its platforming also required a good amount of execution to get right.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »

I'm only in the second chapter still (maybe third), and I've already seen a couple of spots that are not clearly labeled and are off the "main" path.  One kind of went nowhere, but the other lead to a collectible, IIRC.  Both of these were easy to miss if you were just following the obvious route.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »

Hm, don't know if I am going to end up finishing this. I am in chapter 6 and getting my butt kicked by
Spoiler for Hiden:
Johnny Greenteeth. Even dropped it down to easy and died. I think I'll try to change my combos a bit so I can heal more easily.

I really dislike the jerky movement and tight camera, it's been making me a tiny bit dizzy even. I've also never quite gotten used to the combat and I'm always missing the dodges or at least breaking my combo during a dodge. Kind of a shame, I think the game had real potential.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:53 AM »

I haven't played this game yet, but the soundtrack is ridiculously awesome and actually makes me want to play.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 19, 2013, 04:44:53 AM

I haven't played this game yet, but the soundtrack is ridiculously awesome and actually makes me want to play.

And now you've got over 100 awesome remixes of one of the tracks from the soundtrack:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2013/08/09/remember-me-soundtrack-remix-winners-announced/

Awesomesauce!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »

been playing this on the PC.  The Madame boss fight was particularly annoying as it seems like they left the final quicktime prompt out.  I got past the punching, kicking and grabbing, but the game failed to inform me I needed to mash the space bar when the two started falling.  Took 3 tries, one of me watching the sequence then going WTF?, then me going through the sequence and carefully watching for another prompt before going even more loudly WTF?, then finally me alt-tabbing out of the game, looking up gamefaqs, finding mention of hitting the space bar, then doing so to beat the fight.

all I got to say is:

Version 1.0.2
----------------------------------------------------------
BUG FIXES

- Fixed issue during the last QTE event of the Madame fight

NO YOU DIDN'T  icon_evil  you <bleep>ing <bleep>eating mother<bleep> <bleep>heads.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:59:18 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »

Wow. That is a clear sign of them pushing it out the door.

Sad too, since the game actually had a lot of potential.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »

other than that boss fight it hasn't been bad.  True, there could have been a bit more polish but it still has been fun.

I think I'm in the last chapter now, and the fighting system just finally clicked for me in the previous chapter.  granted I hadn't been paying attention to how I could set up combos, but I now have a nice 3 hit combo that helps with some the enemies that damage you when you hit them; after I pull it off I end up healing more damage than what I took.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »

and done.  the final boss fight was kind of dumb and mainly felt like it was designed to add extra time to the game.  a final thought:

Spoiler for Hiden:
while the memory remixes were cool the way they did them to make people feel miserable made Edge and Nilin out to be kind of dickish.  I wish they had made them with a couple of different outcomes, like Nilin suggested a couple of times, but as far as I can tell there seemed to only be the one acceptable outcome.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2013, 11:30:34 AM

and done.  the final boss fight was kind of dumb and mainly felt like it was designed to add extra time to the game.  a final thought:

Spoiler for Hiden:
while the memory remixes were cool the way they did them to make people feel miserable made Edge and Nilin out to be kind of dickish.  I wish they had made them with a couple of different outcomes, like Nilin suggested a couple of times, but as far as I can tell there seemed to only be the one acceptable outcome.

Sadly so.  It's just sad that there was only 3 of them too.  You could do other things with them, but it always ended the same way - Game Over.   Maybe for the sequel?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: