http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:54:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Morrowind plugin DVD list [continued from GG]  (Read 3791 times)
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 02:34:50 PM »

For those that missed the original thread on Gone Gold, there was an discussion of various plugins for Morrowind, after which it was decided to get together a DVD of what might be considered a 'standard' set of plugins, along with instructions, to be distributed for free (or at materials/shipping cost) to any Gone Golder who requested it.  

The original thread ('800MB of Morrowind Goodness') was lost, but thanks to Goldy my post with the semi-final list of plugins was saved.  

I don't remember who all was involved with the original thread, or who was willing to burn and ship DVDs, but if they are still interested in doing so, I will continue to write up a master Readme file and burn a couple of master DVDs to send them.

The original list is below.  The formatting has been lost, as have the links (every plugin was originally linked to a download site).  I will re-do the formatting when I get a chance (it took a couple of hours to find sites for everything originally.)
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:35:11 PM »

Ok, here is my base suggested list for a master DVD/Torrent. This isn't intended as a list of everything available - we want it to fit on one DVD. Telesphoro's list is fantastic - but it is a bit unwieldy when deciding what basic mods to install when getting started. Instead, I picked out a selection, a list of those that 1) I think are the best, 2) are of high quality, and 3) aren't particularly troublesome (conflicts, etc). I have only listed mods I have tried myself. These are the mods that I install myself when I want to play Morrowind again, before going searching to see what is new.   Also note that none of these mods help you create 'super characters' or give you piles of mega-treasure.

For those that link to Morrowind Summit, just click on 'Search' and find the name of the mod in the 'Title' dropdown that appears.

Note that I have assumed that the player has both expansions. The Gold version isn't that much, and sorting these by required expansions would be a full day's work - and likely pointless anyway.

My suggested format is to have the DVD's root contain a readme and a number of folders, each folder holding the mods of a particular type.

If there are any mods that you feel are absolutely vital to the game, post and I will add them. Please try to only add plugins that are of high quality and do not have a lot of conflicts.

Folder 1: Visual & Audible Improvements

These do not change the gameplay; they do not rebalance the game. They do not add new features or change Morrowind's style. They simply make Morrowind look and sound better while maintaining the original look and feel.

* NPC Replacer 3.5 - This plugin replaces all of the heads and faces in the game with much, much better looking versions. There are several different plugins that do this, but I have found the NPC Replacer to be the most comprehensive and trouble-free. It includes ~70 heads, including the famed Rhedd's Heads.
* Better Bodies - replaces the bodies with less segmented versions.
* Smoother Bodies - does things that Better Bodies does not.
* Bodies of Morrowind Advanced - This allows Better Bodies and Smoother Bodies to be used together. Be sure to read the readme!
* Landscape Remix - replaces many of the textures in Morrowind with better quality versions. (Note - the original author's site is down (provided link works, though). If anyone has a link to an updated version or to the Tribunal and Bloodmoon versions, let me know so I can post them.)
* Morrowind Visual Pack, and the Visual Pack Update. - these continue what the Landscape Remix started. Install them after the Landscape Remix.
* Visual Pack XT - Install AFTER the Landscape Remix and Visual Packs. This has some incredibly high quality textures, including many that the Landscape Remix didn't affect (if you have a slower system, the Visual Pack XT may affect your framerates). Again, the install order: 1. Landscape Remix, 2. Morrowind Visual Pack, 3. Visual Pack Update, 4. Visual Pack XT.
* Trees Replacement - replaces the trees on Vardenfell with higher quality, animated (breeze, leaves falling) trees.
* Classical Monster Replacer - this mod replaces the textures on one dozen of the original Morrowind creatures with much higher quality versions.
* Windows Glow - Makes light shine through windows - inside during the day, and outside at night.
* Real Signposts, Weather Signs 1.1 OR Weathered Signs Neutral - These replace the blurry, unreadable signs with attractive, readable ones.
* Sharpened Models: Weapon Replacer Patch - replaces the blurry textures on the original Morrowind weapons with better quality versions.
* Ice's Female Robe Replacer - the original Morrowind had all robe wearing females wearing male robes. This fixes that.
* Atmostpheric Sound Effects 1-4 - a huge upgrade in audio quality and quantity. Beware low-end users - this can cause users with slow computers to have a slower frame rate.
* VGreetings - turns on a huge number of greetings that were included with Morrowind but not activated by default.

Folder 2: Game Rebalancers and Patches

These are fixes, improvements, and rebalances of the basic Morrowind gameplay. They may fix bugs, make levelling a bit more challenging, tweak spell damage, or any of a number of similar things.

* Wakim's Game Improvements 9 Modular - a comprehensive set of changes, tweaks, and rebalances that makes Morrowind more of a challenge and removes a number of exploits. The modular version lets you decide which things you want tweaked. (Thanks to godhugh for hosting it.)
* Super Adventurers 3.02 - This is an alternative to Wakims (above), as it changes some of the same things in different ways. They are best not used together. This plugin also includes updated versions of all of the official Bethesda plugins, and should not be used in conjunction with them. It also adds a variety of new NPCs and equipment to the game (nothing unbalancing).
* New Icons. These replace all of the spell icons with high quality versions that are actually identifiable.
* Potion/Scroll Icons and Potion Sort This replaces all of the scroll and potion icons with high quality, visually identifiable ones, and automatically sorts them by type.
* Book Rotate 5.2 - This allows you to control how books are set down. It doesn't sound like much, but there are hundreds of books that might make their way into your home, and Morrowind only lets you stack them flat. This lets you set them upright on bookshelves, open on tables, and so on.
* The unofficial Morrowind Patch - Fixes a bunch of bugs that Bethesda missed.
* Ring Texture Fix - Morrowind shows rings as black, untextured models. This fixes that.
* Fashionable Merchants - Prevents merchants from putting on whatever armor you sell them.
* TimeMod - Allows you to change the speed that time passes (when starting a new game). You can either double the duration of days and nights (the default days and nights change very quickly) or set up a real-time day/night cycle speed.
* Bloodmoon Ammo Fix - Fixes the way Bloodmoon gives you only one arrow, bolt, etc. at a time.
* Bloodmoon Wolf Greaves Fix - Fixes a model problem with Bloodmoon.
* Morrowind Text Patch - Fixes various textual errors in the game.

Folder 3: Player Homes

These are empty houses, huts, shacks, castles, towers, palaces, manors, hovels, or whatever for the player to set up shop in. Some have optional teleporters, but I have avoided listing any that give you Fat Lute.

* A Good Place To Stay v 1.8 - One of the best. A large, underground house in Balmora with plenty of storage, a magic/alchemy room, and so on. A to/from teleporter is available, but entirely optional.
* Wizard's High - an elegant house outside of Pelagiad built in the Mournhold style. Lots of room, storage, armor mannequins, alchemy room, and a set of secret doors to every major town.
* Abu Manor - A beautifully designed house with tons of storage and display areas just outside of Ald Rhun.
* Abu's Retreat - A fantastic house outside of Pelagiad. Just like Abu Manor, the Retreat is a beautifully designed house. Plenty of storage space, even a greenhouse.
* Stonewood Hall v1.2 - A large, comfortable home in Solstheim (Bloodmoon). Great if you don't want to keep travelling back to the main island to store your booty.

Folder 4: Miscellaneous Plugins

These mods are those that add new things to the game. New weapons, new armor, new NPCs, new creatures, new Ninja Monkeys, new areas, new skills, and so on. The focus is on adding variety to the game.

* Morrowind Comes Alive - This adds an assortment of new NPCs to Morrowind. Both town and wilderness versions are provided. These aren't quest related - they are simply merchants, crusaders, pilgrims, rogues, travellers, and so on going about their business. They travel, so which NPCs are in a given are can vary from day to day.
* Cait's Critters Unleashed - This adds regular domestic animals to the world in carefully planned locations. Expect, for intance, to see chickens running around farms. It adds a lot of flavor to the game.
* Vivec Expansion 2.0 - This adds life to Vivec. Adds huts, walkways, shacks, docks, and ships surrounding the various Vivec cantons. This makes it easier to get around, and also makes Vivec feel like a busy city.
* G I A N T S - Adds some 200 new creatures to the game. Make no mistake - the whole purpose of G I A N T S is to add more fighting to Morrowind.
* Curry's Coloured Glass and Daedric and Curry's Coloured Ebony & Dwemer Adds a hidden door in Balmora that lets you enter an underground Dwemer ruin with machines that allow you to change the color of these four types of weapons and armor. Imagine white Daedric armor...
* Silt Striders Are In Vvardenfell - Silt Striders will spawn and walk about.
* The Marksman Mod - Makes bows and crossbows into worthwhile weapons. Adds new bows, crossbows, and projectiles.
* Daggerfall Book Collection - Adds some 60 books from Daggerfall into Morrowind.

Folder 5: Adventure Plugins

These mods add new quests, dungeons, lands, and so on. The focus is on adding new adventures to the game. I have tried to avoid those that provide uber equipment and massive

* The Unused Well of Pelagiad - Adds a dungeon to Pelagiad. Ask about it in town.

Folder 6: Other Plugins

These are mods that don't fit anywhere else. They are likely things that seriously affect gameplay - read carefully before you decide which to install.

* Morrowind Splash Screens Pack 1 - Adds a ton of additional splash screens to the game. Very high quality.

Folder 7: Utilities

These are recommended to make the whole thing work together better.

* Morrowind FPS Optimizer - runs in the background and dynamically changes view distance while you play, extending it up to up to 200% of what is possible otherwise. It also allows you to enable TruForm if your video card supports it, which greatly improves visuals. Allows for seperate indoor/outdoor shadow settings. Allow you to toggle the crosshair. Adds play/pause/skip/volume controls to the music. It is a must-have.
* TESTool - this tool runs through all of your installed plugins, removes conflicts, and combines certain things that can cause conflicts. Run it after everything else is installed, and read the readme!
* [URL=
* Morrowind Interactive Map - a zoomable, searchable map of all of Morrowind. Absolutely indespensible when you are having trouble finding Alamarusarinabaturiabaluritanaturabi.
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 02:57:48 PM »

I offered to be a DVD burner in the original thread and I'm still willing.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 03:26:59 PM »

I'd go for one of these discs.  Sounds awesome.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:27:07 AM »

I'd be willing to pay for shipping/DVD cost for one too.
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »

Thanks for all of your work, Blackhawk (and everyone else who contributed to the original thread).  You certainly kindled my interest in the game with your discussion of all of the mods. Been in a gaming slump lately and I've never tried Morrowind; you've all made it sound excellent.

I'd be happy to burn DVDs once the makeup is finalized. Been looking for a reason to use the darn thing. I'll start working on d/l the mods listed above.

Cheers!
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 02:44:27 PM »

Here is my plan:  As soon as we get the whole Gone Gold disappearance and such worked out (give us a few days), I will focus on this.

What I am doing is downloading all of these, repackaging a few so that they can all just be extracted into /data files to make installation less of a headache.

I just did a reformat of my system, so I am reinstalling Morrowind.  As I reinstall everything (much of which has to be done in a specific order), I am writing up the process as a single, combined README.  Think of it as a manual for the disk.

Once I have finished the readme, sorted and repackaged all of the mods, then I will burn all of them to a few DVDs based on the readme.  I will then send copies of these master DVDs to everybody that is willing to help to copy and send out.
Drum
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 03:25:13 PM »

Put me in for one of the DVDs.  I will pay costs as necessary.
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 03:34:53 PM »

I've started and stopped Morrowind over 2 dozen times.  I would love to get one of these disks and _finally_ finish the game.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »

Count me in as someone who'd love to get all this stuff on a DVD.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Eliot
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 05:20:08 PM »

I am still wiling to burn DVD's and distribute to the faithful. Keep me in the loop.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 06:55:29 PM »

Just reinstalled Morrowind with a couple hundred mods this weekend.  This game is so great!

Anyway, I used your mod list and Telesophoro's to get an idea of what I wanted added to the game.

I had some issues with the Stonewood Hall mod and thought I would let you know, I ended up just not adding it.  All other mods worked fine together, as far as I can tell.  Anyway, just keep your eye on that one, I may just have some isolated issue, possibly related to some mod I got from Telesophoro's list.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 04:28:27 AM »

This is great, I just posted a thread asking for this.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 01:04:17 PM »

Count me in as well. I'd love to have one of these....
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 02:20:58 PM »

I'd love to get my hands on this as well. Now that I have a decent video card (X800XT instead of my 'aging' 9700 Pro), I can play this game rather well now. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 07:48:16 AM »

I've gathered all of the mods in Blackhawk's list.  I will d/l any other mods added to the official list. After that, I'd be happy to burn DVDs once Blackhawk has come up with a comprehensive readme.

What I have not done is install any of them -- since I have no experience with mods as of yet, I thought it best to wait for instructions from the experts.

Blackhawk did mention that he would create a master DVD to send to those willing to burn DVDs for others. I'd be more than happy to assist and can wait for that if it will minimize confusion.

The mods are about 520MB, so there's plenty of room for more.
lep
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 01:49:26 PM »

I would like to get in on the DVD when it is ready!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 01:57:09 PM »

I too would like a DVD and may be able to burn or host it. I say we keep filling it though as it is supposed to be a DVD and not a CD slywink

Also, I would suggest another section on the DVD to cover Fat Lute and "fun" mods (like the Boba Fett one for example).
This is for those of us who sometimes like to play unberleet. smile
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »

I'd like to sign up as well.  I'd be willing to donate money to this cause for sure.

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
TorpidSloth
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

I, too, would be willing to help burn the DVDs and distribute them to those interested. Just let me know.
noblues
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 01:52:15 AM »

I'm in the process of reinstalling Morrowind on to my new computer, so I'd love to have a dvd with the mods on it.  I don't have a DVD-writer so can't burn any but I'm more than willing to pay shipping and help where I can.

Thanks!
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 01:54:07 AM »

Count me in as well.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 07:55:05 PM »

Count me as another willing to pay media/shipping/handling on such a disk.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004, 12:41:10 AM »

Count me in please!
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 12:56:51 AM »

Any word on this?

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
jcompton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 03:56:45 AM »

They're about to close the first wave of signups on Octopus Overlords.

"t's a testament to the determined RPG fraternity that a number of Baldur's Gate II mods have been successfully produced. The best can be found at pocketplane.net." - PC Gamer UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: