http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The mediocre hulk - how is it?  (Read 2090 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:55:39 PM »

I'm all for smashy-smashy, but I'm thinking I don't wanna trade in Burnout 3 and GTA:SA for a "maybe". Hrmm... anyone play it? Or should I hold off for the next Burnout ?

Oh, and can you set off nukes in the Hulk? (try finding any OTHER thread with nukes and games in the body . . . slywink )
biggrin just teasin' .. heh.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 08:15:32 PM »

No impressions here (Hulk doesn't interest me) but I don't know why you assume a title with a Game Rankings score of 86% is mediocre.  All of the impressions I've read are very favorable with many calling it the best comic book based game yet.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:35:52 PM »

I rented it but I havent had a chance to get into it yet.  Once I do I'll post some impressions.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »

On the back of the case it has a quote from some review saying it is like a GTA game because of the free-roaming.  When I read that it was GTA-like I immediately lost interest.  I absolute can't stand those games.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »

The demo is quite fun.  I'll pick it up when it's $20, though (HATE the Hulk, HATE).

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 01:39:20 AM »

I played through the tutorial and the first few missions.  This game is pretty damn fun, the ability to destroy or use just about and item in the game as a weapon is pretty cool.  The game it reminds me of the most is Spiderman 2.  I am enjoying this game more than Spiderman so far though.  The game looks and sounds alright, nothing special there.  So far, I would probably give it somewhere between a 3.5-4 (Adam Sessler voice)out of 5(/Adam Sessler voice).  I'd say rent it first!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »

a 3.5-4 (Adam Sessler voice)out of 5(/Adam Sessler voice).

Though really that doesn't capture the long, unnecessary pause before the 5.

I think this game is great.  Absolutely a blast.  If you've ever wondered what it'd be like to stomp around smashing a city as the Hulk, this'll show you.  But what I find really interesting is the depth hidden here.  The last Hulk game was fun for a while (though the free roam smashing in the new game blows that one to hell), but this seems like it'll have legs.  There are lots of things to find and moves to unlock (and they all seem pretty useful so far).  But the story missions seem to have some variety to them.  And there are challenge missions much like in Spiderman 2.  And if you're scared off by GTA references, just know that this game is about as GTA as Spidey 2 was (GTA-lite).

Really, when you're leaping around the city tearing up the side of buildings then slamming down into a pile of police cars (while civilian vehicles impulsively drive out of your way and into buildings), the game just feels right.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zoyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 07:23:41 AM »

How could you be scared off by GTA comparisons? GTA III was by any measure brilliant for it's time, and San Andreas is certainly an instant classic, anyone who says otherwise hasn't played it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 09:53:33 AM »

Quote from: "Zoyd"
How could you be scared off by GTA comparisons? GTA III was by any measure brilliant for it's time, and San Andreas is certainly an instant classic, anyone who says otherwise hasn't played it.

I hated Vice City, and truly despised the half an hour of San Andreas I played.

I also got tired of GTA 3 after about an hour.

Next.

On the other hand, I loved the demo of the new hulk game and plan to pick it up today.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 06:46:42 PM »

The only thing this game has in common with GTA is a free-roam kind of approach.  Aside from that, the game isnt really like GTA at all.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 08:51:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
No impressions here (Hulk doesn't interest me) but I don't know why you assume a title with a Game Rankings score of 86% is mediocre.

80-90% is an average game, as 70-80% is low grade, and 90-100% is considered above average.

oh, to help us all out on the word mediocre (which isn't a BAD thing) :

1: moderate to inferior in quality; "they improved the quality from mediocre to above average"; "he would make a poor spy" [syn: poor, second-rate]
2: of no exceptional quality or ability; "a novel of average merit"; "only a fair performance of the sonata"; "in fair health"; "the caliber of the students has gone from mediocre to above average"; "the performance was middling at best" [syn: average, fair, middling]
3: poor to middling in quality; "there have been good and mediocre and bad artists"

86% his high average, but since the graphics and the overall story arc leave a lot to be desired, at least according to the one review from a "reputable professional reviewer" *cough*IGN*cough*; I'd prefer to ask the people I associate my tastes with more directly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 10:48:31 PM »

But when that site starts handing out Editor's choice awards at 80% and higher, mediocre hardly applies.  Even if you only meant that it in not a BAD way.

Also, when dealing with a range of 0-100%, 86% isn't really average, but I'll grant you few games score below 50%.

However, for IGN, they're average score is 70.5%, making their Hulk score of 84% well above average.  Gamespot's average is 68%.  They gave Hulk a n 82%.  And Gamespy has an average score of 74.1%.  And the Hulk got a whopping 90% from them.  

So, mediocre?  Hardly.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 11:02:48 PM »

Yeah, what Bullwinkle said.  I'm well aware of what mediocre means and a 86% Game Rankings average ain't it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 11:22:28 PM »

Quote from: "Zoyd"

Played it start to finish and completed everything. It's not even close to the ballpark of being a classic.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »

I put somewhere close to 20 hours into GTA:SA and had to give it up.  Not an instant classic by any means.  Unless instant classic mean guaranteed to get good reviews and high sales because it is a GTA game.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 01:23:30 PM »

Well, went back and played the demo again to see what I have may have missed and it just ain't there.  But it's better than Geist that's for sure.  Rented that sucker and argh, worst first person controls in the world.  Hate that scheme.  I wouldn't give $10 for it.  

I think my problem with Hulk is that sandbox type of gameplay they are going for.  Have never cared for that.  I like story, story, story and to be driven along by what unfolds and NOT just roaming around and reeking havoc.  Absolutely less than zero appeal.  But that is just my preference and certainly doesn't mean the game is not a mainstream liked game.  Not my cup o tea is all.  

Those who dig that stuff, enjoy your little hearts out.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 01:26:08 PM »

mike did you adjust the options in Geist, I had to turn off inverted control and switch the type of control and I think it's almost perfect. It's not Timesplitters good, but it's solid enough. Shame is I am almost done with the game, I've enjoyed it very much, but could easily finish it in a rental.

However, if no one trades for it from here I'll just put it to Hulk, which I enjoyed the demo. I just really liked the intensity and all the crazy things you could do. It was very cool running up a building then jumping from building to building. Then dropping down on a car and scattering everything near it. A lot of fun.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »

Is the time limit in the demo (after which it expired you turn into Bruce and lose) a constant obstacle in the game, or did they just put that in the demo to limit gameplay?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 03:24:53 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Also, when dealing with a range of 0-100%, 86% isn't really average, but I'll grant you few games score below 50%.[..]So, mediocre?  Hardly.

Really? I rarely find entertainment in games that score less than 70%. The range below that is that there is something that hinders enjoyment and  since I have limited time, I'd say that the range of games I'll touch are generally 70-100%. There are exceptions*, but they are due to other factors. We can blame the wonky grading system used (based more on GPA scoring than true percentile grades).

That means 86% is nestled comfortably on Mediocrity Boulevard in my neighborhood.

Keep in mind guys, I don't have to prove you wrong on this sub-topic; someone asked how I got to the term mediocre. Evidenced above and supported by personal taste, I'd say we're sitting with case in point.

Moving on, I've tried the game. the fact that there are only two attack buttons, and then the jumping, roaring, dashing, throwing and (wacky) targetting, it feels good but the fun is about as deep as the textures. Hulk is gonna be a rental for me. I may have it for a week or two, but I'm not dropping $50 on this. GTA:SA taught me that lesson.

*- Dynasty Warriors series on xbox traditionally gets low scores but I love the games and the characters.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 03:48:03 AM »

Is the time limit in the demo (after which it expired you turn into Bruce and lose) a constant obstacle in the game, or did they just put that in the demo to limit gameplay?

I've played several hours worth of Ultimate Destruction now, and there have not been any instances where the Hulk was in danger of turning into Bruce Banner.  There are some timed missions, like one which tasks the player with protecting a building for a set amount of time, or others which require a target to be destroyed before it reaches its destination, but nothing along the lines of what you've described.

I think that time limit in the demo was just added to limit the gameplay.

Incidentally, I thought the game was an entertaining diversion at first, but once the game started pitting me against flying Hulkbuster assault mechs, the fun *really* got started.

-Autistic Angel
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »

Yeah, I bought it too and the farther into it I get and the more moves I unlock the more fun I keep having.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: