http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The man behind MGS says Consoles are DOOOOMED!  (Read 528 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2420



View Profile
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100407/1725458918.shtml

Yep it appears that the people in the know feel that the day of the video game console is numbered.
Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »

I don't really think that's what he's saying.  It's more like imagine that you could play Street Fighter 4 on your 360 or PS3 at home, save the game to Capcom's servers, and then load that save when playing SF4 on your iPhone, iPad, etc.  You still need the console (or handheld device) to play the game but since multiplatform is becoming so popular there should be a degree of mixing and matching.   

Even on a single manufacturer's platform this should be achievable now. Imagine playing a game on PSN on the PS3 and then loading that save for the same game on your PSP.  Nintendo could do the same with the Wii and DSi stuff.  And if Remote Play improved then you could conceivably play a PS3-level experience on your PSP. 
Logged
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8784


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »

Yeah, but most of his games can just be "played" in a DVD player as it is. Kidding, kidding!  smile
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15692


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 08, 2010, 07:54:33 PM

I don't really think that's what he's saying.  It's more like imagine that you could play Street Fighter 4 on your 360 or PS3 at home, save the game to Capcom's servers, and then load that save when playing SF4 on your iPhone, iPad, etc.  You still need the console (or handheld device) to play the game but since multiplatform is becoming so popular there should be a degree of mixing and matching.   

Even on a single manufacturer's platform this should be achievable now. Imagine playing a game on PSN on the PS3 and then loading that save for the same game on your PSP.  Nintendo could do the same with the Wii and DSi stuff.  And if Remote Play improved then you could conceivably play a PS3-level experience on your PSP. 

And the Windows Phone 7 series is already started doing that, and it's not even coming out until the Fall!  Granted, it's only for some games, and only on MS platforms (360, Windows Live and WP7), but it certainly looks like we're headed in that direction.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12847



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »

They've been calling for the death of consoles forever!  Too much money to be made to have them all mesh into one.
Logged
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2420



View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »

I can see where youre coming from KG but the article is titled as  "  Japanese Video Game Guru Says Console Days Are Numbered "  Seems to be pretty straight forward as to his opinion of the consoles future.  and then theres also this quote  " Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid surprised a lot of people by saying that the video game console is dying, and the future is a much more open solution"  One of the reasons I think the whole open source idea is coming strong is the concept of the home entertainment pc.  Its the new niche product in computing right now but it is a growing force.  Microsoft itself has been working on getting the pc out of the home office and into the entertainment center for awhile and I believe the day is coming.  Computers are smaller and far more powerful than just a few years ago and the TV's we have in our living rooms now are fully capable of displaying fantastic pc graphics.  Why game on a 19" monitor when you can bust out with a 50".  The adaptability and upgradability of a computer is a huge advantage over a locked in console.  Dont be suprised if the whole console is making the pc obsolete thing is reversed and the home entertainment pc ends up killing the console.
Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15692


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 08, 2010, 08:16:00 PM

I can see where youre coming from KG but the article is titled as  "  Japanese Video Game Guru Says Console Days Are Numbered "  Seems to be pretty straight forward as to his opinion of the consoles future.  and then theres also this quote  " Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid surprised a lot of people by saying that the video game console is dying, and the future is a much more open solution"  One of the reasons I think the whole open source idea is coming strong is the concept of the home entertainment pc.  Its the new niche product in computing right now but it is a growing force.  Microsoft itself has been working on getting the pc out of the home office and into the entertainment center for awhile and I believe the day is coming.  Computers are smaller and far more powerful than just a few years ago and the TV's we have in our living rooms now are fully capable of displaying fantastic pc graphics.  Why game on a 19" monitor when you can bust out with a 50".  The adaptability and upgradability of a computer is a huge advantage over a locked in console.  Dont be suprised if the whole console is making the pc obsolete thing is reversed and the home entertainment pc ends up killing the console.

I'm not saying you're wrong (as I haven't fully looked into it), but technically the title and quote you mention are pretty straight forward as to what the article writer's idea is of Kojima's statement, not so much what Kojima's opinion is.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:52:06 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 08, 2010, 08:16:00 PM

I can see where youre coming from KG but the article is titled as  "  Japanese Video Game Guru Says Console Days Are Numbered "  Seems to be pretty straight forward as to his opinion of the consoles future.  and then theres also this quote  " Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid surprised a lot of people by saying that the video game console is dying, and the future is a much more open solution"  One of the reasons I think the whole open source idea is coming strong is the concept of the home entertainment pc.  Its the new niche product in computing right now but it is a growing force.  Microsoft itself has been working on getting the pc out of the home office and into the entertainment center for awhile and I believe the day is coming.  Computers are smaller and far more powerful than just a few years ago and the TV's we have in our living rooms now are fully capable of displaying fantastic pc graphics.  Why game on a 19" monitor when you can bust out with a 50".  The adaptability and upgradability of a computer is a huge advantage over a locked in console.  Dont be suprised if the whole console is making the pc obsolete thing is reversed and the home entertainment pc ends up killing the console.

I'm going directly from what Kojima is quoted as saying in the article.  It's probably more of a case of semantics but when you have the media expansion capabilities that Sony, MS, and even Nintendo are putting in the consoles and hardware followed by the gaming expansion in more utility driven devices like smartphones, then I think it's more a matter of a merger of technologies instead of consoles dying and PCs taking over, etc.  

Just look at the 360 and PS3- in terms of software they aren't really that different since like 90+ percent of titles can be played on both with remarkably similar experiences.  They differentiate from each other by other capabilities and services.  

As far the PC vs console stuff, I'll just say that considering how little of Konami's output is on PC compared to consoles and handhelds, I feel reasonably comfortable saying that Kojima isn't referring to what we traditionally think of as "PC gaming" taking over.  
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5291


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 08, 2010, 08:10:15 PM

They've been calling for the death of consoles PC forever!  Too much money to be made to have them all mesh into one.

fixed
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2420



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »

agreed,  I do believe it is more a merger of technologies, so as you say its more about semantics.  The concept of a home entertainment pc ( or HEPC ) is not that different from what both the xbox 360 and the PS3 have been headed towards.  To that effect, the HEPC can be viewed as the next incarnation of the console.  A box for streaming video, net surfing, communication, gaming, social networking, programming and productivity....  etc.  So I guess in truth you can say this is really about the evolution of home entertainment and the articles author splashed with a bit of sensationalized doom for effect.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:43:09 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6538


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 08, 2010, 08:41:12 PM

The concept of a home entertainment pc ( or HEPC ) is not that different from what both the xbox 360 and the PS3 have been headed towards.  To that effect, the HEPC can be viewed as the next incarnation of the console. A box for streaming video, net surfing, communication, gaming, social networking, programming and productivity....  etc.  

But why buy an $800 PC to do all of that when a $300 console can do it, except for the programming and productivity, which 99% of consumers don't care about anyway?
Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 45 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.032s, 2q)