http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:58:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the loss of the perfect controller?  (Read 2051 times)
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2005, 08:21:26 PM »

in many ways i think that the current ps2 controller is the best one ever made for a console.

i'm not sure what i think of the new ps3 silver banana controller. was anyone else suprised that they change what many people thought to be perfection?
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:26:38 PM »

"PS2 controller" and "perfect" can't be used in the same sentence. Atleast in a positive connotation =P
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »

I love the Dual Shock.  That said, now that I've got a Gamecube I love the Wavebird.  It's absolutely comfortable.

I suspect they won't change away from the Dual Shock without thoroughly testing the new controller.  It may be better than the Dual Shock.  I hope so.

From the looks it blows but time will tell.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:28:09 PM »

I like the controller s more than any other controller.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:31:51 PM »

i have faith that the ps3 controller does the trick. almost every other controller has copied sony (on some level) since the dual shock. now they go and change it to a steel colored handle bar mustache with buttons? shocked, was i.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 08:34:46 PM »

I'm one of the weird people who really like the original Xbox controller. The new 'S' controller feels like a toy in comparison. I've also never been comfortable with the PS2 controller. I find using the shoulder buttons very awkward and the anlog sticks don't seem to be as responsive as the ones on the GC and Xbox.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »

I like the Duke better too Andrew...you're not alone!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:03:41 PM »

My ideal controller would have been a Wavebird with three kidney buttons (not a round B button) around the central A button, and four analog triggers, instead of the current two and the somewhat useless and forgotten Z button.

That would be teh good.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:11 PM »

Everything Dafones said, plus a larger right analog stick (make them both clickable while you're at it) and a slightly bigger D-pad.

Maybe it's because I bought a PS2 a year after I had the Cube/Xbox, but I've just never really gotten used to the Dual Shock.  I have a hard time playing games without having those analog triggers there....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 10:54:22 PM »

I'd like a giant PS2 controller (Duke size) with XBox triggers and Wavebird wireless.

Thanks!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:36:35 AM »

I fully expect that the controller shown with the PS3 will not be what ships with it next year.  The feedback has been almost universally bad.  Sony has plenty of time to reconsider and will.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 01:26:43 PM »

The perfect joystick:

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 01:37:29 PM »

The best controller ever was the NES Max.  Nice and light, comfortable feel, and the perfect placement of the 'A' turbo button made it easier than ever to fly as Racoon Mario.

The only controller that even comes close (and it's a close 2nd) is the 6 button Genesis controller.  The standard controller was too big, but the sleek 6 button was perfect.  It felt comfortable, the D-pad had the best "feel" to it of any D-pad past or present, and the buttons had great placement.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

I strongly dislike the dual-shock controller, and the new PS3 controller looks even worse.

I love the Xbox S-controller.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 05:26:36 PM »

I'm another (of the few) who really liked The Duke, or the original Xbox controller, if you prefer. It was the only contoller I've ever used that felt like it was designed for me. I really wish they had come out with a first party wireless version, but alas...

When I had a PS2, I had no trouble with the Dual Shock, it just seemed like it was designed for someone with much smaller hands than me. But that new silver banana..., Oy! Maybe it feels better than it looks :shock:

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
markymarklar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 04:29:42 PM »

i've never been comfortable with the dual shock either.  for one, sony needs to trade the d-pad with the analog joystick on the left.  most games are played with the analog now so put it where it's most comfortable to access.  the xbox did this which is why i like it better.  i also think there is somthing weird feeling about the joysticks on dual shock.  don't know if their not sensitive enough or if it's because they seem too easy to move around.  a joystick should have some resistance to it and not so easy to move around that you could move it with a jolt of the controller(if you know what i'm even talking about).
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 02:17:05 AM »

i also think there is somthing weird feeling about the joysticks on dual shock. don't know if their not sensitive enough or if it's because they seem too easy to move around. a joystick should have some resistance to it and not so easy to move around that you could move it with a jolt of the controller(if you know what i'm even talking about).

markymarklar, I know what you mean, but it's not just the Dual Shock controllers, for me.  Many controllers have sticks that are either too easy, or too hard, to move.  With easy - or very stiff - analog sticks, combined with a game that has very sensitive cameras - it's almost impossible to move correctly, let alone aim.  If every game came with sensitivity controls, that would help - sometimes it even totally compensates - but, most don't. frown

About the only controller I haven't been able to use, at all,  is the MadCatz XBox controller.  The sticks were too close to the center, so if I was using the triggers - I could only reach the edge of the sticks (or the reverse).  The Duke was even fine - it was big, but I could reach everything without a problem.

My favorites now are the Logitech wireless, the MicroCon, and the Wavebird.  I've used many Dual Shocks, and I don't mind them, except the sticks take too much getting used to for FPS's.

Now, the new PS3  bat-wing/ banana/ boomerang?  It looks to me that the last few inches of the handles are there purely for looks, an attempt to make a big "modern" splash - not for function.  As Warning says - only time will tell if it's a good controller despite it's looks - unless they change it before then. :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »

ps3 won't work with keyboard and mouse?  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: