http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:04:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - any old school Spyro fans curious?  (Read 677 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »

Gamerankings has it ranking highest of all the current-gen Spyro games, and I have read some interesting things about it.  The production values are supposed to be very high, but I have seen it referred to as a "kid's game". Anyone had hands on experience with this one?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:44:44 PM »

No experience, but I am interested.  I've been working toward finishing the last Spyro game (which I enjoyed) on the 360.  Hopefully this one will join the BC ranks soon.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:54:16 PM »

Ya i would like some ps2 opinions as well.  I've been looking to pick up one of these type of games and i've liked what i have seen thus far in Spyro.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »

Color me impressed that there are Spyro fans at all, much less "old school" ones.  icon_lol

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »

My wife is an old school Spyro fan, she beat all 3? of them on the ps1.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

The PS1 Spyro's are great - these are the same guys who did Ratchet and Clank, after all.  I played all 3 to 100% completion (actually I think one or two of them went over 100% if you played the bonus world).  The property was sold off for the current generation, and the quality has suffered.  I haven't played any of the current gen versions due to the reviews.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 07:20:25 PM »

I'll get it eventually, although it does seem really combat-heavy from what I've seen.  What's odd is that they seem to have put a lot of money and work into making the game, but I have seen very little in the way of advertising for the game.  You'd think that if they wanted to relaunch the series, they'd at least advertise it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 23, 2006, 05:38:23 PM

Gamerankings has it ranking highest of all the current-gen Spyro games, and I have read some interesting things about it.

This isn't real hard to do, IMHO, as the current-gen Spyro titles have all sucked ass (console and portable). The PS1 titles were all fantastic in comparison however.

So yeah, I'm curious about this, but I don't have the time to pick it up without looking fully into reviews first.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »

Another vote for the PS1 Spyro games.  All were excellent!
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:56 PM »

Gf is a huge spyro fan as well.  I saw this at the store the other day, I may have to give it a rent for her.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 11:22:15 PM »

I really liked th first couple of Spyro games on the PS1.  They were very bright and didn't try to do too much with the limited texture memory which made it look vivid and move very smooth.  They were great fun since they never got too difficult.  Spyro had spunk!

I really wanted to like the GBA Spyro games but my brain couldn't handle platforming with the isometric view.  Or maybe the controls were just awful.

To be honest, I didn't like when they tried to make Spyro hardcore and the reviews were poor.  I don't know if I'd try again because I doubt they could recapture the magic of the first Spyro.  I'll have to look into reviews.

I'd gladly download the first Spyro game on the PSP.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: