http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:53:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing  (Read 4621 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 15, 2013, 06:12:10 PM

Just curious, does the co-op play now work for this game?
Co-op works -- Mirage and I played it quite a bit before Marvel Heroes came out. Does it work "well"? Well... *shrugs*  icon_smile We had fun when one or the other person's connection wasn't dropping, and the game on occasion kicked our asses in co-op, but the patch notes still keep saying multiplayer isn't fixed yet per se.

I'm not crazy about the way the game handles your view when another player is talking to a quest NPC. I think it sort of jerks around your camera view at times, and I find it annoying. Like a player would be chatting with an NPC on the far side of a town map, and it would jerk my view over there so I couldn't interact properly with the vendor on the far side of town.

I think the main thing hindering the game is they didn't pay attention to how Diablo, Torchlight et al handle subsequent difficulty levels. After finishing the single player game at Easy, you should be able to take your developed character (L25, L30, whatever) into the next character level and go from there. That's generally how Action RPGs work.

In Van Helsing, you have to start from scratch again to tackle the next difficulty level, and I didn't particularly feel like starting my character all over again. The game's a blast to run through once, but I don't feel it's properly designed to encourage going through the single player game a 2nd or 3rd time. I don't think being a cheap game excuses that -- they just didn't pay attention to how other popular games in this genre handle difficulty modes and going back through quests.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:48:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »

I see there is some DLC up on Steam's new release list.  It' mainly new skills for Katarina, with a couple of things for Helsing.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »

Has anyone played this recently, because wow are there some pissed off customers in the Steam forum - many asking for refunds! I was looking to pick up 2 copies in the summer sale, but it almost sounds like things gotten broken along the way due to the proliferation of patches. I'm wondering if anyone''s recent experiences are different?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »

Pretty sure that 90% of the complaints come from the (still) broken co-op and the fact that they released paid DLC before fixing said co-op.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »

But is the co-op now stable? Based on the threads in the Steam forum, it doesn't sound like it is
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »

Probably too late to be useful now but I tried out the co-op for about 2 hours this morning and it seemed to work fine.  I do know there are still people having problems but so far it seems fine.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »

The so-called DLC is really a joke. I still think spinning off the wild Fortress Defense mode into a separate co-op game would be fun and give the game a bit of replayable joy beyond completing the campaign.

And as I've broken record said, forcing you to start a character from scratch for the next difficulty mode is ridiculous and totally not in keeping with how Diablo-style games traditionally handle it (i.e., letting you take your developed, L30 or whatever character into the next difficulty mode). It's on sale, and certainly worth the few bucks on Steam imho, it just really has no replay value unless you just want to start over from scratch at the next difficulty level with a noob character.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:06:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »

I just found the Secret Lair and every time I enter to talk to the vampire the game freezes. I lowered the graphics to medium with no result. Any other ideas?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: