http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 08:19:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing  (Read 7217 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »

While I was chatting w/ EngineNo9, I had another "duh" revelation that instead of dropping one point into each powerup in the setup combo (to trigger by spacebar), I finally realized it was maybe smarter to put 2 or 3 into an effect I really want.

So, say, 2 points in explosive round to get a larger damage radius (3M instead of 1.5)

Or 2 points to have 60% more dmg instead of 30%:

It's really quite a flexible system, adjustable to one's play style. I just think the tutorial should better explain it. And since it's not an "active" system (clicking spacebar or # keys don't activate the powerup - it just modifies the applicable skill with those benefits next attack). While I'm still not sure I'm crazy about that system, at least I can't accuse it of not attempting to be different.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:59:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 27, 2013, 09:52:09 PM

I gotta say the Defend the Lair stuff, around early L20s, is unbelievably fun and insane. And bloody.  icon_cool

I've gotten to the Lair and the ability to set up traps, but I only just turned level 15.  I cleared out absolutely everything I saw up until this point in the game, how are you 5+ levels above me?  Or do you really stay in this same area for that long before you do the defense part of the Lair?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 03:28:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 28, 2013, 12:44:49 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 27, 2013, 09:52:09 PM

I gotta say the Defend the Lair stuff, around early L20s, is unbelievably fun and insane. And bloody.  icon_cool

I've gotten to the Lair and the ability to set up traps, but I only just turned level 15.  I cleared out absolutely everything I saw up until this point in the game, how are you 5+ levels above me?  Or do you really stay in this same area for that long before you do the defense part of the Lair?
There is all sorts of questing to do in areas connected to the lair before the Defend The Lair fun begins. And I have been ultra-thorough in combing all areas of all maps to this point.  icon_smile

However, there's an enormous, game-breaking bug that the dev's aware of and will hopefully fix soon -- if you let ANY monsters get past you into the lair during the Defense Against the 3 Waves, they damage generator(s) in the lair. And due to some major bug, then if you get anywhere near the Vlados vampire contact, you're prompted to repair a generator or add an accumulator, and asked "Yes or No," and then the game just dims and freezes at that point.

It's described here at the Steam forum:
Bug in secret lair breaks the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/215530/discussions/0/828939978631511185/#p2

So until such time, better just try to be perfect when defending the lair.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:29 AM »

Rage can also be auto-triggered when available - go to options and then it'll just enable it when you have enough rage, though if you took a skill that rewards you for running around with a full rage meter, you might wanna turn that off.

FWIW, that option should be ON the combo screen (as well) so that it's immediately obvious.

Unless you take skills that boost rage, you accumulate it from killing (not just hitting).

You can create any combos at any given time - you can also set up two sets of combat skills (TAB toggles between) but if you have the same type in both , the combo screen doesn't allow you to have two different combo settings for that skill.

Eg: you have scattershot on both sets of ranged attacks, so:

-- LMB,  RMB (Tab to toggle)
1: Shoot, Scattershot
2: Scattershot, Lightning

You can`t load the rage combo to be different on each of those attacks.
So: R toggles from ranged to melee, and TAB toggles between two sets of skills of each, giving you a possible grouping of eight different skills. You can also use Fkeys to assign skills - simply click on the skill in the bottom of the UI and when your mouse is over a skill, choose the Fkey you want to assign it to.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:08:32 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 05:16:08 AM »

I finally made it through the first act - took me three tries to beat the boss but when I finally did it felt very gratifying.  I had to make some adjustments to my skills and gear, go back and find a spot I hadn't covered so I could level up, and also gain another feat level that provided extra points to spend on Kat.  During that stint I also got my first green set drop which was a pretty nice cape.  All that combined with knowing better what to do allowed me to beat the boss pretty handily.  (Note I think during the boss fight you don't accrue xp from the trash mobs so don't count on that; also you aren't allowed to continue with money if you die, the boss resets to full.)

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm finding this game extremely fun and challenging, even on Normal.  It reminds me so much of TQ, but in many ways I think I like it better.  There's so much optimization you can tweak, both on yourself and with Kat.  I've tried to play with her as a tank and me as dps + healing but it's been pretty tough.  She dies a lot leaving me to run and kite.  I'm trying to make myself more self-sufficient just in case but it's easy to get spoiled having her tank and provide all those nice buffs.

Gear-wise I don't feel it's got the excess of TL2 or the uselessness of D3.  There are a lot of drops for sure, and lots of trash, but the big difference is there are a lot of magical and rares that are generally useful, but in different ways.  Some might have a particular effect you really want (for me it's +mana/hit as I drain mana like there's no tomorrow), another might provide better protection but less dps.   But pure dps isn't necessarily always what's important depending on what skills/spells you are using and how you are using Kat.  A semi-good item which can be customized through essences might be preferable to a good one that can't.  So anyway, I'm finding far more loot with useful possibilities compared to D3 or TL2.  This kind of slows the pacing a bit so that you can breathe and consider what you've got after almost every major fight, which actually I enjoy.  It captures that sense that I can tweak my character (and my pet) to the way I want it and (hopefully) see the benefits immediately in the next fight. 
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »

Well this turned out to be a surprisingly fun game.  I'm doing pretty well with my mage build.  But they really needed a better tutorial and the controls are a bit lacking.  Mapping to function doesn't seem to be documented anywhere and it is pretty much a requirement if you are going to use more than one power.  I guess they assumed everyone remembers Diablo 1 controls.  I guess I will look into moving them to number keys.  You really don't need to press 1,2,3 when you have already setup combos.

I'm a bit confused with the Veteran Hunter (?) perk.  Does anyone know if it makes items harder to use or easier?  There was a warning when I tried to train it so I assume it makes same level items unusable?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

I'm really enjoying the game too.  What a nice surprise to find a gem like this that I had never even heard of 2 weeks ago.  I need to spend more time learning how to setup combos and using the function binds (thanks for those of you who explained this). 

This game has a lot of good things going for it.  The art, music, setting, characters, companion feature, flexible skill tree system, balanced loot!, pacing, and combat are all good.  Best $13 I've spent in a long time.   
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 28, 2013, 03:47:15 PM

I'm a bit confused with the Veteran Hunter (?) perk.  Does anyone know if it makes items harder to use or easier?  There was a warning when I tried to train it so I assume it makes same level items unusable?
I think it warns you on certain perks that you can't change your mind. Like I took the Mentor perk that gives you 3 skill points and it warned me that way. On the other perks, it'd just give it to me. So... I'm a bit confused too.  icon_confused

I think the Veteran Hunter perk makes it easier to wield items that are a higher level than your character. I don't really see how 1 level higher items is all that cool though.  icon_smile

It does my heart good to know some nobody indy dev in western Europe (not that there's anything wrong with that  icon_smile) can do something this fun. If it's not always polished, if the tutorials could be a lot more instructive, if there's a gamebreaking bug that stopped me in its tracks for now... well... the big devs have that sort of problem too.  icon_smile

And I just can't stop raving about how fun the Lair Defense sequence is. I really do think there's some sort of Diablo meets Dungeon Keeper/Dungeon Defender spinoff game waiting to be made there. And the game engine seems adept at handling huge numbers of enemies without gagging.  icon_cool

Caveats? Well, doesn't seem like we can set up a new "instance" of the game. afik, in both SP and MP it seems to save your progress, and you can't go back into older areas to grind (monsters don't respawn in cleared areas). They do at the forums promise some upcoming DLC that will add some new levels. The post said it won't raise the level cap, but will provide I think some new perks/achievements etc.

Also, I'd like just a bit more variety in Van Helsing's attack animations. I got that sword attack that's supposed to "strike 3 times quickly" and... well... it just looks the same as a regular sword animation. Maybe in a followup game...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:58:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 02:42:25 AM »

Quote from: Blacjavascript:void(0)kjack on May 28, 2013, 10:56:14 PM

I think the Veteran Hunter perk makes it easier to wield items that are a higher level than your character. I don't really see how 1 level higher items is all that cool though.  icon_smile

Except this Perk also has +3 Ability and +2 Skill.  Why would you take "Teacher" (+3 Skill) when you get so much more with this?  Which is what made me wonder if the item level thing was a negative perk to balance it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »

There is an unlock path too - Teacher IIRC comes out long before Veteran Hunter.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »

The game stopping bug I mentioned apparently got fixed today, and I was able to progress. Still get the dialogue box about generator troubles, but  now just an OK button you can click, and then move on to the next quest.

Got really tough in the next area, particularly the bomb-tossers...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:45:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:44 AM »

damn, almost missed the 'deal' on this thinking it'd expire at 1pm EST tomorrow, but it actually expires at midnight PST for a change.  grabbed and downloading, but I just started a new playthrough of Skyrim so it may sit there for awhile.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »

Here was that free DLC post. It will add a respawn feature for the new levels, they seem to say.

Free DLC plans
http://steamcommunity.com/app/215530/discussions/0/828939978638869805/
Iíd like to share some info about the close future content of Van Helsing. You can expect Scenario mode by a FREE DLC pretty soon. It will be playable in single player and in co-op mode as well.

It kicks off with two levels featuring 30+ level monsters and you will have a Lair (with merchants, laboratory, etc.) Monsters respawn in the Scenario (if you leave the game to the main menu and go back).

Later we will add new levels, interesting end game scripts, boss fights and unique items. Although we will not increase the level cap instead you can collect ďheroic deedsĒ which boost your character.
Although NeoCore has its own forum at its web site, they have a couple moderators monitoring the Steam forums and posting, which is nice.  icon_smile

As far as perks go, some higher skills require 3 skill points to get, so I like the perk that lets you get that in one swoop. I might in ensuing characters choose differently. I'm just eager to work up the trees and try stuff.

I cut some lair defense footage together and will try to get that onto YouTube tonight. It's crazy bloody  icon_cool
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:47:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

I like that there are perks that support rage spending, and perks that support someone who doesn't want to mess with power ups and rage.  It's nice to have that option.

I've been picking perks that toughen up Katarina as a melee tank.  She looks badass in her Aliens/Species looking melee form.  Once I figured out that I could drop potion stacks into Katarina's inventory (and that she will use them based on the slider setting on her behavior tab), she's been decent as a tank.  I've also maxed the heal trick, which works well to keep her going.  So far so good.

I've been working on ranged Occult Hunter skills for VH.  I'm just using Shoot (default) and Explosive Shot (RMB), but I'd like to try out Poison Shot too.  The + damage power up x3 on shoot is good for bosses and tougher enemies.  I use the + damage powerup x3 for Explosive Shot to help clear out packs.  Lots of Rage spending.  I also picked up the passive that heals every time I spend Rage.  It doesn't seem that useful now, but maybe at higher skill levels?     
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

One thing I noticed last night (finally progressing into the area, past the fixed "game stopper bug" that has those techno guys using what appear to be poison guns?) is that I just didn't seem to build rage up hardly at all. I don't know if those enemies have some ability to deter rage- building, or if I'm suddenly doing something wrong.  icon_confused I don't think I'm playing any differently, but the rage meter, at least in that area, now just hardly ever seems to build to the point I can use powerups.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

Weird, I put every point and perk in making Katarina tanky but she still seems almost as squishy as me (glass cannon build for myself with almost all points in willpower).  In fact I have better survivability than Katarina since I can use defensive tricks.  Maybe I need to get a good set of elemental resistance gear for her.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »

Yeah, I briefly flirted with the idea of making her my tank, but she kept dying so quickly that I gave up in short order.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 29, 2013, 05:08:17 PM

Weird, I put every point and perk in making Katarina tanky but she still seems almost as squishy as me (glass cannon build for myself with almost all points in willpower).  In fact I have better survivability than Katarina since I can use defensive tricks.  Maybe I need to get a good set of elemental resistance gear for her.
I set her to Ranged attack most of the time via the icon stuff in upper left corner. You can just use her as a ghost that buffs your resistances but doesn't otherwise fight. Sometimes that's more useful. In fact, maybe that's what I should be trying in the tougher late level areas.

Isn't her ranged attack some sort of elemental thing? It doesn't look like she's shooting, it's something flying from her hands.

Given her glass jawness, the Perk that shortens Katarina's respawn time might be most useful (I've resisted getting that, cause I'm selfishly getting self-perks mostly  icon_smile).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:45:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »

To help her live a little longer I equipped her with the best gear I could buy/find with + Body, +Hitpoints or + Defense.  I try to find melee weapons with those stats too for her.  I put most of her attribute points into Body, with some in Willpower to boost her resistances.  I also make sure she has at least 25 health potions in her inventory.  You might try bumping her potion drinking slider a little higher, maybe to 40-45% health, so she doesn't get killed by spike damage before the potion kicks in.  I also do my best with my 5/5 heal skill to keep her healed up.  

I've found that in combination with her drinking potions earlier and me healing off cooldown, she doesn't die nearly as much.  That said, she still dies, and I still have to kite on occassion, but it works ok.  She mostly goes down when I encounter those super huge swarms of baddies, or when I pull 2 large swarms at the same time with champions mixed in.  I look at her as buying me time to kill, with some kiting and moving required.  If she dies, I have the perk that shortens her cooldown.

Enemies that have large amounts of spike damage are a problem for her (and me).  The companion AI doesn't seem smart enough to move out of the way of the obvious power moves from certain enemies. I end up kiting on some of those.          
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 29, 2013, 05:45:16 PM

You might try bumping her potion drinking slider a little higher, maybe to 40-45% health, so she doesn't get killed by spike damage before the potion kicks in.
Hmmm, I know she can use potions but didn't realize she had a slider for adjusting usage of them. Is that on the Behaviors tab? The list of things I didn't know just gets larger...  icon_redface

Definitely seems to be happening with my games. I gave her 30 health potions but she's used maybe one or two in recent days.
=============

Found some interesting tips in a "did you know...." thread by NeoCore at the official forums:
http://forum.neocoregames.com/index.php?/topic/374-did-you-know/
A few that stood out to me:
...that you can pick up all items around you at once by pressing "G"? (You can change that key in the Options of course.)

...that you can spend multiple points at once on Skills and Abilities? Holding down the Shift key will spend 5 points and holding down the Ctrl key will spend all available points at once!

...that you can hold the Alt key while giving a command to Van Helsing? This will make him disregard any enemies near the mouse and instead of attacking, he will try to go straight to that point. Otherwise he prefers spilling blood over moving around.

...that Reputation is calculated the very same way Experience is? This means that if you have a bonus for Experience, you will also have a bonus for Reputation! (But only for special monsters (Minions, Elites, Champions and Bosses) of course.)

...that Perks can be made available by quite a wide range of activities? This includes but is not limited to increasing Abilities, learning Skills, or even looting corpses and spending money at the Laboratory!

...that you don't need to deliver the killing blow to gain XP, only to be present? This is most important in Multi-Player but you can also benefit from this when monsters fight eachother around you! (Also note that Lady Katarina always gains XP when you do, even when she's gone shopping or temoprarily disabled.)

...that the Sphere of Timelessness spell will work even in Multiplayer? It will be a bit different though. Every player will receive the circle showing how much time you have left and every player will be able to act during the spell but all of them will deplete the circle with their actions! Using this spell will require some cooperation but it can be devastatingly effective!

...that the icons in the lower left corner are separated by their effect? Helpful effects like buffs from Lady Katarina are in the lower row while harmful ones (like being bitten by a rat) are in the upper row.

...that you can compare a ring in your inventory to both your equipped rings? Holding the Ctrl key while hovering your mouse over a ring in your inventory will compare it to your second ring while normally it would compare it to your first one. Right-clicking while holding the Ctrl key will also swap the ring with the second one instead of the first (ie. you always switch with the currently examined ring). The currently examined equipped ring is indicated by a '*' after its name.

[player-suggested one] That you can press N to zoom in where your mouse cursor is pointing? It is a quite interesting feature you can use to take a closer look at your equipments and monsters.
And one player found a wiki page with a list of the default keyboard bindings:
http://orcz.com/Incredible_Adventures_of_Van_Helsing:_Keyboard_Controls

I promise to get my Lair Siege/defense video posted tonight. Lets say, 8:30 pm EST or so.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:11:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 01:19:23 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 29, 2013, 06:34:53 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on May 29, 2013, 05:45:16 PM

You might try bumping her potion drinking slider a little higher, maybe to 40-45% health, so she doesn't get killed by spike damage before the potion kicks in.
Hmmm, I know she can use potions but didn't realize she had a slider for adjusting usage of them. Is that on the Behaviors tab? The list of things I didn't know just gets larger...  icon_redface
Yes, on the behaviors tab, near the middle.  It's a slider that says HP Threshold, or something like that.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »

Man, for a 4 min 50 sec video, this is taking forever to finish. My little movie is now live, at....

Lair Siege gameplay from The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
http://youtu.be/k74jRkTcVEE

*It's a 720HD FRAPS gameplay movie, so you may need to fiddle with the YouTube menus for the best picture quality.  Bring your own! Aaah, phooey. I guess my 720HD file was so big, that YouTube cut it down to 480HD. Oh well...

Alas, my skills assortment is fairly dull, so you won't get to see too much flashy stuff this go around.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:41:05 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

It's 720, youtube processes from less to more, so lower res shows up earlier.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 30, 2013, 08:33:20 AM

It's 720, youtube processes from less to more, so lower res shows up earlier.
Thanks.  icon_smile Yet More Stuff I Did Not KnowTM

You guys have any favorite skills? I've really only put much point-age into Strike and Reave on the melee side; and the basic shooting skill (forgot the name) and Explosive on the ranged side. I tried the scattershot a bit, and that's kinda fun.

I was a little disappointed that the melee skill in the lower left corner of the skill screen, which is supposed to have you strike 3 targets quickly or one target 3 times, just didn't seem to have an accompanying animation specific to it (my guy still seemed to just strike in one swing when using that skill).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »

I just did the lair defend mission.  It was really easy, I barely needed the traps.  Ray of Destruction is so OP in those narrow lanes smile  I also have the rage skill that increases damage for the first 3 seconds.  The whole column of monsters die in less than 3 seconds.

I'm basically cycling between Ray for single target or lined up mobs and the Fireball skill (with rage to increase radius) when they are more spread out.  I use Time Stop/Heal as my defensive tricks.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »

I've gone ranger but maxed out that line and am branching out to elemental ranged.

Kat is a decent enough tank as long as you support her (as in kill the enemies she's going after).

The only thing that can kill me is those damned (forgot name ... ARGH!!)... I dunno, a boar with an elephant trunk-shaped horn?

When they're about, it's who I focus on.

Scattershot with increased penetration is great when kiting. Since you end up killing so many, your rage fills up, and you keep going. biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »

WOAH! Major update tonight, guys. Stop the presses!  icon_smile Many multiplayer fixes.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update 1.07 Released
http://store.steampowered.com/news/10749/
Updates to The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client (in on-line mode) is restarted.

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.07

Known issues:
- The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please play it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer:
- The Server Browser periodically refreshes the list.
- A new column and filter is introduced for searching regional games. (Regional games have lower Ping and thus less lag.)
- "Safety" column removed. Games are available to play if your selected Character shares this option. (Characters stored solely in Steam Cloud can join games featuring similar Characters only. Same rule applies to Hardcore Characters.)
- Fixed an issue which sometimes applied after rejecting to join a Bossfight.
- Fixed an issue with the Drunken Man (remained clickable if the client clicked on him).
- Being invited to a Bossfight automatically cancels any teleportation attempts.
- Players see the traps placed by the host.
- Players can be kicked from the game during the waiting period before Bossfights.
- The client returns to the Main Menu if the host disconnects during loading (loading screen).
- Fixed an issue where conversations got stuck on the screen sometimes.
- NPCs and critters synchronized.
- When a conversation starts all the players are halted.
- Fixed some issues with scripts restarting sometimes.

- General
- Fixed an issue with the Lightning Collectors quest.
- Fixed an issue with the Lost in the Ink quest.
- Fixed an issue with Lady Katarina when she wandered off to gather loot after you respawned, leaving you all alone...
- Fixed a rare crash near the Gorgon Pass Bridge.
- Fixed an issue with the Harpies coming out of the Wishing Well.
- Fixed an issue with the effect of the Earthquake spell.
- Your latest Character appears in the Main Menu (even if you only have Online Characters).
- Fixed an issue with Skill reset.
- The Credits button in the Main Menu closes all other windows.
When I was resuming my single player game using a character for multiplayer (so it saves to Steam Cloud), there seemed to be a new little menu that at least for now just has a "Story" button on it.

I would wild guess that maybe this is the first step towards an option for a "non-story" mode, or grinding or "new instance," whatever, since that's what lots on forums have begged for. Or it may just be a "hook" that will help them attach the free DLC, something like that?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:32:07 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »

Woah! That was fast. The free DLC released today!
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Free DLC Update Now Available
http://store.steampowered.com/news/10753/
Included in update v1.1.00 for free

The Scenario DLC enables players to fight high-level monsters that are above the level 30 threshold throughout the new levels reachable from the Secret Lair. Additional levels will be added to the Scenario DLC throughout the year along with unique in-game items and spectacular boss fights.

After future updates, players will earn ííHeroic DeedsĒ to boost their character to an even more legendary status as they slay the mysterious threats to the world of Borgovia.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:03 AM »

Finally finished the storyline. Took me about 24 hours.  icon_smile Fun, though I worry about the Return of Titan Quest Tendinitis. So far I'm OK.  icon_smile Hoping to try some co-op this weekend.

I checked out the new scenarios briefly. Although L30 remains the cap, the Mines scenario is L31, and the other's L32.

Here's some screenshot love, starting with I guess we'd call it portraits? Character-wise, the N key zooming is pretty cool just for closeup pix. It's not playable at this zoom level, but makes for good eye candy.  icon_cool

It's really quite refreshing to play this kinda game and not be stuck in the medieval dungeon crawl attire motif.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »

A few action shots. What I love most is the game really is about tackling seemingly impossible odds, just about all the time.  icon_cool

*I think I got out of this briefly by cutting some space up north.  icon_razz

*When action gets hot and heavy, there's a cool brief blur effect (don't adjust your glasses  icon_smile). I respec'd to electrical strike melee, and this was a time I caught it on film, so to speak. So that's my successful whack, zapping adjacent targets.

These Elyctircal whip lash dudes are among the more distinctive beasties in game.

The game has some very cool terrain effects. I had some blur shots around here where the larger enemies were stomping the ground, and making dust and dirt fly everywhere.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »

I just finished it, steam says 20 hrs played.  I don't think there is much replay value but it was fun while it lasted.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »

What level were you guys when you finished?  I think I'm 25 or 26 now, wondering how much further I have.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 03, 2013, 01:55:37 AM

What level were you guys when you finished?  I think I'm 25 or 26 now, wondering how much further I have.

Just hit level 30 before the final boss.  But I pretty much did every single side quest and cleared every map completely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

another patch hit yesterday:

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.1.05

Known issues:
The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please play it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Balance changes:
- Will-o-Wisps and Ornithopters are slightly nerfed.
- Monsters on the roof maps are slightly stronger.
- The Marquis of Soot is stronger and got some new friends.
- Igorís range of the mine laying ability reduced.
- Some new chests added to the Industrial Port.
- Damage of Traps is scaled to Difficulty, the number of players and also as the story progresses.
- Losing Generator Capacity after a failed Siege may result in traps being destroyed randomly.
- Levels of Quests give appropriate Item rewards.
- "Point of no return" is removed from the game. You can go back to the first chapter after getting to Borgova.
- You can no longer farm for Ability Points through special conversation rewards like the Gluttoner Idol or Saffi's magic potion if you play in the Multiplayer game of someone else. You will receive such rewards only once.
- The inherent Magic Item Find bonus in Hardcore reduced.

Fixed bugs:
Multiplayer:
- Fixed a bug with the bossfight when the master died and respawned in town.
- Fixed some bugs with the game list window.
- Fixed bugs with the effects
- Made some improvements with the scripts.
- Made some optimizations in the network code.
- The amount of the XP received by killing a monster is individually calculated for each player. (I.e. killing a lower level monster with a higher level character can give XP for a lower level character on the same map.)
- The XP range has been removed. You receive the XP from the monster even if you are far away as long as you are on the same map.
- Made some countermeasures against the "file too old" bug. Backup creating checks if the previous save was correct and if it wasn't, it does not overwrite the proper game save with a broken one.
- Fixed a bug with the "Werewolf on the run" quest.
- When synchronizing with the Steam Cloud, if no appropriate save has found on the Cloud, the local version is moved to the Backup\Cloud folder.
- Synchronizing with the Steam Cloud is much safer.
- Fixed a random bug with the Multiplayer game list not showing any games even though there are available games.

General:
- Fixed a bug where the "Find the Engineer" quest got stuck.
- Fixed an issue with the experimental gate in the Abandoned Research Station.
- Spells reapply correctly when changing maps.
- Fixed a bug with the "Kill Fulmigati's General" quest.
- Fixed the spiders in the Worm's cave in the Orichalcum Mines scenario.
- Fixed a display inconsistency with Skill resets.
- Fixed an issue that caused monsters to attack during a cutscene.
- Fixed another issue where items could be dropped inside terrain objects.
- Fixed a recent bug with the one liners of the final boss.
- Fixed an issue with the Merchant in Croakwood.
- Fixed some localization issues with the Scenario mode.
- Fixed the Obsessed Alchemist hidden achievement.
- Fixed an issue with the Forge: you can no longer forge Trophies with more than 5 enchants.
- Fixed some consistency issues with the different Scenarios.
- Improved the AI of the Dreadknechts and the rats with rifles.
- Behemoths can no longer be knocked down.
- The chests give loot based on their own level.
- Fixed the 3% Life Steal for the 50 Mastery bonuses on the Occult Hunter tree.
- Fixed a missing localization string for the poodle of goo in the Rookery.
- Fixed an issue with the calculation of Mana Steal on the Character Sheet.
- Fixed a crash in the Forge window.
- Fixed the missing icon in the Achievement window for the Treasure Hunter DLC bonus.
- Fixed an issue with skill respec.
- Fixed an issue with the Ray of Destruction and switching skill sets.
- Fixed the additional levels of the Elemental Damage Skill.
- Fixed the progress window when you are invited to a bossfight in different resolutions.
- Fixed an item duplication bug with the Laboratory.
- Fixed an issue with the activation of the Mentor Perk.
- The Explosive Rounds powerup of Shoot no longer causes friendly fire.
- Some skill descriptions have been changed for better reflecting their actual effects.
- Rats in the Lair for the Clear the Tunnels quest fixed.
- The lag when changing to the Excalibur fixed.
- Fixed certain minor bonuses you could receive through conversations.
- When you leave the Secret Laboratory with the help of the Inventor the nighttime version of the Industrial Port becomes unavailable. At this point you will automatically fail "The orichalcum shipment" quest, if you haven't finished it yet.
- Fixed some issues with equipment models.

New features:
- Some new resolutions supported: 2048x1152, 2880x1620, 3200x1800 and 3840x2160.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »

Interestingly, they have announced a sequel already

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »

Iím guessing itís more of an expand-alone expansion pack.  Given that itís a $15 game Iím ok with that.  I do wish they would fix multiplayer first though since Iím holding out for that.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

Just curious, does the co-op play now work for this game?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 15, 2013, 06:02:00 PM

Iím guessing itís more of an expand-alone expansion pack.  Given that itís a $15 game Iím ok with that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.  I'm just glad that this one was successful enough for them to justify making more. 

Quote from: kronovan on June 15, 2013, 06:12:10 PM

Just curious, does the co-op play now work for this game?

They have released several patches with fixes for multiplayer, but I haven't exactly seen the "all clear" yet.  But I haven't been trying it out, either, so maybe somebody else knows for sure.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »

is this a loot driven game?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:09 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 26, 2013, 02:56:31 AM

is this a loot driven game?

Partly, it also has a decent storyline but yes there is plenty of goodies to loot if that is your thing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: