http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:28:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The HL2 OMG that was cool thread  (Read 1796 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 08:29:21 PM »

With a game like this, everyones is bound to have some unique and cool  or funny things happen. Mine so far:

Throwing a pop can at the head of a combine guard and having him chase me around with his baton.

Putting a little doll on one end of a teeter-totter and dropping a cinder block on the other, catapulting the doll through the air.

Running out of shotgun shells-seeing a box just down a side street and running towards them only to have a headcrab zombie come staggering out. He picks up a barrell and throws it at me, which I dodge. Then he picks up the box of shotgun shells and throws them at me. Blammage ensues. Thanks Mr. Zombie  biggrin

Zombie picks up an exploding barrel-I whip out the pistol to try and detonate it in his hands but succeed only in putting it into flames before he launches it at me. Knowing that it's about to explode, ninja-like I whip out the grav gun, catch it and shoot it back

Managing to sneak ub behind a combine trooper on a platform and pinning him to the wall with the crossbow

Those are the ones off the top of my head anyway smile Yours?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:43:57 PM »

Going Wild West with the revolver and six Combine guards, then getting killed by number seven, eight, and nine.

Going up to a device I've never seen, hitting a switch, and suddenly seeing antlions pour out of the sand at me.

The crane.  Especially letting the Combine soldiers come out and start firing at me... picking up a 30 foot metal container and getting a good, heavy swing going before finally nailing them to a wall with it..  I don't think I've ever seen such a satisfyingly final death in a game before.

Sawblades.  Oh emm gee.

Anything with Striders in it.

That's about everything short of spoilers for me.  But there's a LOT of spoilers.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:30:41 PM »

Flying through the canals at high speeds on the airport, hearing an explosion, whipping around a corner then seeing a car flipping towards me at equally high speeds.

Gunfight with Combine in a warehouse. Soldiers up on a ledge. Throwing a grenade up onto the ledge and having it blow one of the Combine through a window. I go outside and look up and he's hanging half way out of the window.

Gravity Gun + Saw Blades = WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 09:57:01 PM »

Heh, thought of another one. Was ambushed by two of the magnetic mines in a house-they came crashing through the ceiling. I grav gunned them and fired them out the window to get them well away from me. Went plunking around the house a little more then back outside and into the buggy. Drove towards the road and promptly discovered where the mines had landed..

Wanting a bulletshield and seeing a barrell way up on a ledge. "Hmmm...wonder if the gravgun will reach that far and pull that down for me?" Cue barrell indentation in forehead.

While under the bridge, lobbing a grenade up ahead on impulse and being rewarded with the sight of a combine trooper taking a very long dive. Rather than a clean splashdown he landed on the base of the bridge support. That had to hurt. In other news, combine troopers bounce when they fall a long ways.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 09:59:37 PM »

in that same area with the two snipers, I threw a grenade in at the second one (he's right over an empty boxcar. When the grenade landed I heard him yell "SHIT!". He then proceeded to get blasted out, landed halfway on the boxcar and then flipped over landing face first in the dirt.

Yeah, it ruled.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:12 PM »

One thing that godhugh pointed out in another thread was the Combine heart monitor. What I didn't hear until last night was that when they flatline, a female voice reports in where the trooper is down and requests backup. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:11:14 PM »

Quote from: "godhugh"
in that same area with the two snipers, I threw a grenade in at the second one (he's right over an empty boxcar. When the grenade landed I heard him yell "SHIT!". He then proceeded to get blasted out, landed halfway on the boxcar and then flipped over landing face first in the dirt.

Yeah, it ruled.

That reminds me.  How cool were the sniper areas?  How many games with "snipertowns" have people bashed because they are no fun, and yet here we have ont hat's a blast.  Simply being able to see that targeter makes possible to actually survive without constant reloading.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 10:20:09 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "godhugh"

Yeah, it ruled.

That reminds me.  How cool were the sniper areas?  How many games with "snipertowns" have people bashed because they are no fun, and yet here we have ont hat's a blast.  Simply being able to see that targeter makes possible to actually survive without constant reloading.

s

As well as adding a lot of tension as that blue laser comes slowly sweeping towards you. This was an area where the physics truly shone. "I'll hide behind that crate." BANG! Crate shatters.  Hid behind a wheeled cart and pushed it worward to keep it as cover, crouching behind it while billets pinged around me. Worked great until I came to the explode-o-barrel that I couldn't see because the cart was in the way. Those carts really hurt when an explosion instantly accelerates them when they're only a foot away.

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 10:35:15 PM »

I love the crane.

I love throwing cans of paint at things

I thoroughly enjoyed defeating combine soldiers by opening up the throttle on the unarmed airboat and knocking the supports out from the bridges they were standing on.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 10:35:19 PM »

DOG
VS
COMBINE

Fetch boy! 'Nuff said!
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »

Don't know how many have finished the game, but...

SPOILER....

How about when you lose all your gear in the last few levels.  You start thinking "How in the HELL am I supposed to..." then you blast a guard with your new Grav Gun... then you smile... a wicked, wicked smile as you realize how to get through these levels. smile

That and using the energy balls as weapons was pure genius.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:45:41 PM »

In trap town I got surprised buy a headcrab zombie dude, only have my grav gun out cause i was messing around earlier and low on health I start grabbing random things and chucking them at him. First grabbed a table and through it at him only shoved him back a bit. Grabbed crate...nothin... trying to find more stuff and grabbed a paint bucket which proceeded to make the redish plane zombie into a new eggshell white zombie. Just kinda stared at that one. finally stumbled upon a saw blade and proceeded to slice the zombie in half slywink

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 10:47:40 PM »

Oh yeah, the gravity gun on the last few levels was awesome!

At first I thought "Here goes one of those lose all your weapons and sneak around missions that every FPS game has".  Boy was I wrong!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 11:57:31 PM »

Quote from: "SkyLander"
In trap town I got surprised buy a headcrab zombie dude, only have my grav gun out cause i was messing around earlier and low on health I start grabbing random things and chucking them at him. First grabbed a table and through it at him only shoved him back a bit. Grabbed crate...nothin... trying to find more stuff and grabbed a paint bucket which proceeded to make the redish plane zombie into a new eggshell white zombie. Just kinda stared at that one. finally stumbled upon a saw blade and proceeded to slice the zombie in half slywink

i'm reminded of that scene in shaun of the dead, where they are throwing random household goods at the zombies' heads.

GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 01:03:18 AM »

The end...oh the end.   :lol:   So much fun, I couldnt stop laughing.

I had one...
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 02:04:22 AM »

I opened a door and was greeted by gunfire. I grabbed a barrel, walked straight up to the guy firing on me without taking any damage, tossed the barrel at him and proceeded to fill him with hot lead.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 02:09:52 AM »

The end...oh the end.  So much fun, I couldnt stop laughing.

Oh yeah!  I really liked it too.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: