http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:57:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Halo 3 launch title.... I bet  (Read 2014 times)
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004, 04:16:31 PM »

I figure that Halo 3 will be an Xbox Next launch title. It seems pretty clear to me that Bungie cut Halo 2 in half.  They either couldn't finish the game, or Microsoft forced them to do it so that it could have a Halo launch title for Xbox next.

Whatever the reason for the chop, Bungie now has a year to do polishing on (what is hopefully) a completed game, along with some better level design and better graphics (no texture "popping" please!).

I'm sure I'll have the feeling I get when a studio double-dips with a special edition DVD.... but I'll buy it anyway.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:28:34 PM »

Nah, I'm betting on a simulateneous launch against the PS3.  I can't believe they can have Halo 3 running on a next-generation engine in a year's time.

Most speculation seems to be that MS will be using Perfect Dark Zero as the big Xbox 2 launch title and hopefully a return on that $375 million that MS purchased Rare with.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 09:06:40 PM »

A new Perfect Dark game would be cool but I don't think it could be the "it" game at release.  I don't think the series is that recognizable to the masses.

I'm sure Bungie is under a ton of pressure to get a new Halo game complete for X-Box 2's release.  Especially after Halo 2's media coverage.  Every where I looked, magazines, TV shows there were Halo 2 articles and segments.  Even my parents, who are clueless when it comes to games, were asking if I got Halo 2 yet.  The first game, while popular, didn't come close to that kind of attention.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »

A formerly scheduled Gamecube game, and last seen on the N64, is going to be THE Xbox 2 lauch title? I can't believe that.  It's got to be a killer app that will get lots of attention.  It would be impossible for Bungie to get an entirely new game done in a year; the only thing that makes sense is if they've got a majority of that game already done (i.e.,  the second half of Halo 2's storyline).
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 09:28:27 PM »

I think you guys are underestimating the appeal of the Perfect Dark series. Both Goldeneye and the Perfect Dark games went far beyond hardcore gamers in popularity. Perfect Dark is very recognizable to mainstream gamers.

It may be a case where too much time has passed since the last game, but Perfect Dark won't suffer from lack of brand recognition.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 09:34:42 PM »

Popular enough for a sequel, but it's not going to move hardware the way a Halo title could.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 09:54:43 PM »

True enough, but it may be the best they have. I doubt they'll be able to get a Halo sequel out in time for launch, or, at least, a sequel that people want. I think releasing Halo 2.5 on Xbox 2 with the exact same gameplay and slightly updated graphics would cause more of a backlash than anything else. People will want an Xbox 2 Halo to be mind-boggling and jaw-dropping. Having just wrapped Halo 2, can they get it done by launch?

Keep in mind that the "games as cultural event" phenomenon didn't really happen until this generation of games (if you discount Pac-Man and the arcades of the early Eighties) with GTA. I don't think any of the systems are going to launch with a GTA, or Halo 2, or Zelda.

The folks who played Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are now in the age bracket where they can afford to buy a system at launch. And, ultimately, that's what you need in your launch lineup.: games that will move your initial shipments and first refills. You don't need a Halo 2 until the supply chain is full of product.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 10:04:19 PM »

The idea for Perfect Dark will be that they probably won't reference the previous title in their previews.  Previous players of the N64 version will already know about it but to the general masses it will be portrayed as a new franchise with no prior knowledge required.  

Assuming that Rare can produce a game that stuns graphically (which shouldn't be a problem for them) and plays well they could very well come out of E3 with tons of buzz and easily become *the* launch title.  Remember- launches are great times for new franchises.  With little other competition you only need to be the standout title in your genre to get a lot of notice.

Quote from: "Shifter"
I'm sure Bungie is under a ton of pressure to get a new Halo game complete for X-Box 2's release. Especially after Halo 2's media coverage. Every where I looked, magazines, TV shows there were Halo 2 articles and segments. Even my parents, who are clueless when it comes to games, were asking if I got Halo 2 yet. The first game, while popular, didn't come close to that kind of attention.

Yeah, but Halo 3 has to blow everyone away visually as befitting a next-gen title.  While Bungie may well know exactly where they want to go story-wise and level-wise in a follow up if Halo 3 is just the Halo 2 engine with higher-resolution textures then it won't be up to the standards of a next generation title.  They need a whole new engine which will probably require an order of magnitude greater art content than current Xbox titles.  I just don't see that happening in a year considering it took three years to create Halo 2 on a platform Bungie already had experience in.

Plus, MS doesn't want Halo to become another Tomb Raider or Hitman.  Anticipation is good and a year between releases just doesn't give the series the breathing room it needs to properly build up another head of steam hype-wise.

[EDIT]- Looks like I said largely the same thing as Andrew.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 11:47:32 PM »

It took them 3 years to make a sequal for a game on a system that they had experience with. They arn't going to push a sequal out in one year on a brand new system.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 01:14:17 AM »

Who cares whether Perfect Dark is a well-known series or not?  Look what Halo did for MS.  Most people think the whole Rare deal is a huge screw-up on MS's part, but I'd be willing to bet they've had this Perfect Dark game planned for the Xbox2 and in the hopper getting better and better since Day 1.  Here's hoping at least.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 02:14:02 AM »

About the rare thing, rare still makes GBA games as well. So, just because they are not making Xbox games doesnt mean some payoff isnt already coming for MS.

And Halo 3 should wait a few years. I agree, I hope they dont make this like tombraider. Now, if they make it amazing by next year, then why not? But too much rushing ruins games. But we all know that smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 02:16:59 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
About the rare thing, rare still makes GBA games as well. So, just because they are not making Xbox games doesnt mean some payoff isnt already coming for MS.

$375 million for some GBA ports of old Nintendo games and Grabbed by the Ghoulies?  That's 8 million units sold assuming that the full $50 sale price goes directly to MS (when its only a fraction of that).

I think Bungie ended up being the bargain of the century for something like $40 million.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 02:33:55 AM »

Well I dont think MS thought it would be paid off right away. This is definatly more of a long term investment. But over time those GBA game sellings will really really pay off. If MS ever decides to enter the handhel market, it would be nice to have a developer with some experience onboard as well.

And yes, bungie was a steal. MS saw some real potential there, and im guessing they must have seen some real potential with Rare. MS doesnt make too many huge mistakes like that. Everyone thought the XBox was a mistake, but its paying off for MS.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 02:59:10 AM »

I know I would'nt be in line to buy an xbox 2 just to play perfect dark now Halo 3 woulld be a different story.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 03:03:30 AM »

Quote from: "pingwrx"
I know I would'nt be in line to buy an xbox 2 just to play perfect dark now Halo 3 woulld be a different story.

But you haven't even seen anything on the new Perfect Dark game.  How can you say that?
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 03:23:05 AM »

Does anyone know that Bungie only worked on Halo 2 the last three years?

Bungie's roots are in the PowerPC platform and if anyone would know about programming for it (like the Mac developer kits), it would be them.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 03:59:14 AM »

I can say it Kevin, because Rare isn't the same Rare of 4 years ago. Half the damned employees left and they haven't made a good game in over 3 years.

If you want the next great FPS made by the Rare employees who made PD and Goldeneye then you need to be buying Free Radical games, and waiting for  Zoonami's Zero Project.

I just don't buy Rare being a great studio. Shoot look at Kameo, been working on it for over 4 years and now it's being completely retooled. Their next release is a remake/re-envisioning of Conker's bad Fur Day, which wasn't a bad game, but it sure wasn't amazing. Hopefully Live! play expands on what was allready good multiplayer, but it's still a remake/rehash of a N64 game.

I can't see the "maintstream" really getting excited by another Rare game without some creative and interesting marketing and advertising.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 04:02:33 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I can say it Kevin, because Rare isn't the same Rare of 4 years ago. Half the damned employees left and they haven't made a good game in over 3 years.

I just don't see how anyone can write off a game without knowing anything more than the title.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 04:23:02 AM »

In Tebunker's defense, it would be hard for Rare to re-create the greatness of Goldeneye or Perfect Dark simply because most of the people responsible for those games have left for greener pastures (Free Radical and Timesplitters for instance).

I was very much for Rare being bought until they showed what they had post acquisition.  We only have Grabbed by the Ghoulies and the upcoming Conker (which could be great) over the 2+ years it has been since Rare was acquired.  Kameo was recently pushed back, which may or may not be a good thing.

Yes, Perfect Dark is a strong name, but without the same people behind it will it be as good as the original or as good as current FPS games?  I hope Conker will be a homerun because Rare and Microsoft need one badly from their partnership.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: