http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GTA4 impressions thread (that has no impressions)  (Read 16179 times)
Mr. Fed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2008, 02:59:58 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 02:53:05 AM

[ It's not up to YOU to decide what an artist (in this case, the developer) puts into their game, as long as what they put into the game falls within the boundaries of the law. Whether it's a virtual handjob or not is irrelevant - if your morality is allowed to dictate what is in a game, then Jack Thompson's morality is going to be allowed to dictate what is in a game.

That's a fine rule for limiting censorship, but not for limiting criticism.

And I obviously realize none of you have called for the removal of the material from the game. And you all will be buying it and playing it despite your objections. But your attitudes are indicative of mainstream media who label games as juvenile and cringe whenever an adult topic is put into a game. Again, I find the hypocrisy amusing and neither of you have really explained it. How is running over innocent pedestrians within the boundaries of good taste again? How does it contribute to the storyline and overall artistry of the game? Why is violence getting a free pass here? How do you reconcile that double standard?

You're assuming that people do find the running over of pedestrians in good taste.  But it's possibly because for whatever reason, violence in games is more frequently executed in a convincingly gritty fashion, whereas sex in games is generally executed in a mawkish and adolescent fashion.  The first is as directed by Quentin Tarantino; the second is as directed by Beavis & Butthead.

But that's just my opinion.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:52 AM »

Quote from: Travis on April 29, 2008, 02:59:42 AM

Quote from: Caine on April 29, 2008, 02:01:56 AM

i'm expecting raging media news whores espousing the dangers of letting game companies police themselves. 
And that, is exactly the problem with it.  They did it to fire up the conservatives.  Well, grab a bull by the horns...
Let me just point out that moral outrage over video games is not constrained to one side of the isle.  Not by a long shot
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:08:19 AM by Laner » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2008, 03:20:00 AM »

everyone keeps saying it's done "poorly" how, praytell, is that so? You go up to a street corner(like in real life, not that i have experience.  paranoid ). You pay money, once again in real life. You get a service. THE only thing different is your hp increases in the game. You could still run over that bitch in real life to get your cash back.

it is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. NOT PART OF THE CORE GAMEPLAY AT ALL. You guys saying this is done wrong are just mind numbly confusing. It's done fine. You don't have to see it. You don't have to do it.

WTF do you want? A freakin black bar across the screen instead?

My god.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on April 28, 2008, 11:10:40 PM

Can you take a shit in this game?  Because it will be bland for me without that level of verisimilitude. 

Only if you do it on someone's chest.  And you have to pay for it, unless of course your partner is already dead.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on April 29, 2008, 02:59:58 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 02:53:05 AM

[ It's not up to YOU to decide what an artist (in this case, the developer) puts into their game, as long as what they put into the game falls within the boundaries of the law. Whether it's a virtual handjob or not is irrelevant - if your morality is allowed to dictate what is in a game, then Jack Thompson's morality is going to be allowed to dictate what is in a game.

That's a fine rule for limiting censorship, but not for limiting criticism.

And I obviously realize none of you have called for the removal of the material from the game. And you all will be buying it and playing it despite your objections. But your attitudes are indicative of mainstream media who label games as juvenile and cringe whenever an adult topic is put into a game. Again, I find the hypocrisy amusing and neither of you have really explained it. How is running over innocent pedestrians within the boundaries of good taste again? How does it contribute to the storyline and overall artistry of the game? Why is violence getting a free pass here? How do you reconcile that double standard?

You're assuming that people do find the running over of pedestrians in good taste.  But it's possibly because for whatever reason, violence in games is more frequently executed in a convincingly gritty fashion, whereas sex in games is generally executed in a mawkish and adolescent fashion.  The first is as directed by Quentin Tarantino; the second is as directed by Beavis & Butthead.

But that's just my opinion.

Exactly.

Quote from: Mr. Fed on April 29, 2008, 01:41:29 AM

Criticism, mockery, ridicule, disagreement, condemnation =/= censorship. 

For instance, if I should say that I find PeteRock's "arguing on the internet" pic to be far more embarrassing, obnoxious, pathetic and juvenile than imaginary videogame hooker handjobs, I have not censored PeteRock in any manner that any reasonable adult should care about.  Pete Rock is a big boy and can tell me to fuck off if he disagrees.  If he can't handle me criticizing his chosen form of discourse he'd be better off wandering out of the marketplace of ideas before he falls down and gets an owie.  But I know that PeteRock is far too FABULOUS to make that argument.

Fuck off.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2008, 06:28:37 AM »

30 more minutes for the west coasters!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

Let's hear some impressions already!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on April 29, 2008, 10:12:35 AM

Let's hear some impressions already!

You need to go to the new impressions thread (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,26357.new.)

XBL gamertag: jztemple
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 03:40:54 AM

For instance, if I should say that I find PeteRock's "arguing on the internet" pic to be far more embarrassing, obnoxious, pathetic and juvenile than imaginary videogame hooker handjobs, I have not censored PeteRock in any manner that any reasonable adult should care about.  Pete Rock is a big boy and can tell me to love off if he disagrees.  If he can't handle me criticizing his chosen form of discourse he'd be better off wandering out of the marketplace of ideas before he falls down and gets an owie.  But I know that PeteRock is far too FABULOUS to make that argument.

Love off.  Fabulous

Now, I'm no Fed expert, but I think he was supporting your argument.

But in being no expert, I can't tell if you're being ironic or are in fact telling him to love off.

Oh and Ridah. Let it go! Your thread is dead baby. dead!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 29, 2008, 11:37:52 AM

For instance, if I should say that I find PeteRock's "arguing on the internet" pic to be far more embarrassing, obnoxious, pathetic and juvenile than imaginary videogame hooker handjobs, I have not censored PeteRock in any manner that any reasonable adult should care about.  Pete Rock is a big boy and can tell me to love off if he disagrees.  If he can't handle me criticizing his chosen form of discourse he'd be better off wandering out of the marketplace of ideas before he falls down and gets an owie.  But I know that PeteRock is far too FABULOUS to make that argument.

Love off.  Fabulous

But in being no expert, I can't tell if you're being ironic or are in fact telling him to love off.

I understood that he was supporting my argument and using my pictoral transgression as a poignant example.  The "love" off comment was just a little sarcasm in response to his comments about my being a big boy and having the freedom to disagree.  Perhaps it was yet another example of poor taste, but I was hoping to indicate my lack of seriousness with the fabulous smiley. 

Fed was right. 

Fed is always right.

I also sent him an apology just in case as I did appear to be out of line. 

Ken,

Just as a follow-up, my "love" off comment in GT's GTA IV thread was a poor attempt at sarcasm with a sugarcookie smiley thrown in with the hopes that it would help to better convey that.  However, if my comment was at all offensive or taken personally, that wasn't the intent and I apologize.

I understood that you were agreeing with me and used my photo transgression as an immediate and poignant example of your point.  Yes, the photo was in poor taste and once again I've allowed an internet disagreement to frustrate me beyond the point of reason and I made a stupid mistake.

I should know better.

-Pete
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:01:00 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2008, 02:18:40 PM »

waited by the liberty city statue with a bottle of baby oil and a a pair of surgeon's gloves for over an hour last night and no one showed up.   was it the outfit?  maybe i should rethink the whole hot pink cheerleader thing....  crybaby

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 29, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

I understood that he was supporting my argument and using my pictoral transgression as a poignant example.  The "love" off comment was just a little sarcasm in response to his comments about my being a big boy and having the freedom to disagree.  Perhaps it was yet another example of poor taste, but I was hoping to indicate my lack of seriousness with the fabulous smiley. 

Fed was right. 

Fed is always right.

Ken,

Just as a follow-up, my "love" off comment in GT's GTA IV thread was a poor attempt at sarcasm with a sugarcookie smiley thrown in with the hopes that it would help to better convey that.  However, if my comment was at all offensive or taken personally, that wasn't the intent and I apologize.

I understood that you were agreeing with me and used my photo transgression as an immediate and poignant example of your point.  Yes, the photo was in poor taste and once again I've allowed an internet disagreement to frustrate me beyond the point of reason and I made a stupid mistake.

I should know better.

-Pete

Whoa, you mean that you actually apologized for something you said on a message board?  This is the internet, right?  retard
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »

Love off.  Fabulous

Fed was right. 

Fed is always right.

Ken,

I should know better.

-Pete

As I said in response, I knew exactly what Pete was doing with his "love you" response, so no apology was necessary.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »

DEAD BY DAWN!! DEAD BY DAWN!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on April 29, 2008, 05:03:31 PM

Love off.  Fabulous

Fed was right. 

Fed is always right.

Ken,

I should know better.

-Pete

As I said in response, I knew exactly what Pete was doing with his "love you" response, so no apology was necessary.

Looks like my initial impressions were correct that you were being Ironic.  I apologize for not being more sure of the irony. I also apologize to Fed for not understanding the non-irony in the ironic irony of it all. In any case, you should both go love off Tongue slywink
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:12 PM »

Actually if you want a game where taking a dump is indeed an important part of gameplay, there are many versions of the Sims out there.

Would I play a game where you can get handjobs and blowjobs (and tigers oh my) as part of gameplay? (assuming the health recovery is intact)

Sure.

Would I want to explain it to my wife?

No.

And that right there is enough to be embarrassed over.

Spawn of OO Collective
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »

I wanna thank Rockstar for making that last mission an f'ing nightmare.  I've tried 8 times to finish and 8 times i've failed.  mostly on that f'ing helicopter.  I seriously wanna throw my f'ing controller through the f'ing tv screen right now.  as it stands, i have a feeling i'm just going to trade it in before finishing it.  either that or just never f'ing finish it.  why does it have to be an f'ing multi part mission with no f'ing save anywhere during it??

...i need a drink.   mad

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 26, 2008, 11:42:27 PM

I wanna thank Rockstar for making that last mission an f'ing nightmare.  I've tried 8 times to finish and 8 times i've failed.  mostly on that f'ing helicopter.  I seriously wanna throw my f'ing controller through the f'ing tv screen right now.  as it stands, i have a feeling i'm just going to trade it in before finishing it.  either that or just never f'ing finish it.  why does it have to be an f'ing multi part mission with no f'ing save anywhere during it??

...i need a drink.   mad

yup,last mission was a bitch...but overall,easiest GTA to date(and first GTA i finished)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

FINALLY got it.  Took me about 23 tries.  Cripes was that frustrating.  I promised myself I was trading the game in for something else right before my last (and successful) attempt.   icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 27, 2008, 10:13:55 PM

FINALLY got it.  Took me about 23 tries.  Cripes was that frustrating.  I promised myself I was trading the game in for something else right before my last (and successful) attempt.   icon_lol

Spoiler for Hiden:
now do the other option,LOL

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 28, 2008, 04:29:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

icon_lol  I actually might!

Man, looking back at this weekend's gaming sessions with GTA I have to laugh.  I was so frustrated at one point that I put down my controller after one failed attempt, calmly walked into the kitchen, poured myself a glass of water...then threw it back in sink while cussing up a storm.   icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »

LOL...thats me EVERYNIGHT..with COD4 and Battlefield:bad company(i am not a calm player..and i forsee video games being the death of me)

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 29, 2008, 02:30:10 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 28, 2008, 04:29:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

icon_lol  I actually might!

Man, looking back at this weekend's gaming sessions with GTA I have to laugh.  I was so frustrated at one point that I put down my controller after one failed attempt, calmly walked into the kitchen, poured myself a glass of water...then threw it back in sink while cussing up a storm.   icon_lol

I believe "revenge" was the easier of the endings (the second half of the mission is slightly, but significantly different). Well, the last mission, because the actual "revenge" mission I found harder than the "deal" mission. So if you did the "deal" ending, then you shouldn't find the final mission that hard to repeat. But you'll have to do the actual "revenge" mission, which is pretty hard, but nothing more than an extended firefight.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: