http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:16:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GTA4 impressions thread (that has no impressions)  (Read 16248 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2008, 08:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 26, 2008, 07:20:08 PM

The main graphical caveat that made me lean towards the PS3 version is less texture pop-in than the 360 version. Wasn't texture pop-in a huge issue in Mass Effect? Where the textures would load a few seconds late? I can't stand that, it completely ruined the immersion for me in some cases and it is unacceptable to me especially with this particular game. 

GTA has always had it, with this type of game and how big it is, you have to expect that there's going to be limitations.  I'm sure the PS3 will have it as well.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2008, 08:32:45 PM »

As much as I'd like to try it out on the PS3, I'm going 360 for MP goodness and I'm an achievement whore.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

The only other option for me to get the PS3 collector's edition would be to cancel my EBgames preorder and order online.....  But then ebgames.com is charging 17.00 shipping and handling for this thing.    So I guess I have to stick to my 360 collector's edition instead.    I'll be able to play with you guys after all assuming my LAUNCH 360 holds up to this game.      Screw you Microsoft for making such a POS quality console.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »

Buying the game for a non-Sony platform and having it RROD on you on the during the intro: You asked for it.

I don't really understand that line of reasoning (and yes, I've had a 360 RROD on me). If you're that scared of having a 360 RROD on you, then do you ever play games on it? Or do you just keep it in a glass case with a sign that says, "DO NOT TOUCH! MAY EXPLODE!"

I can understand why it's *a* factor in the decision, but I don't understand why it would be THE factor. I'd be far more concerned about features that are fact than the mere possibility of some event that may never occur. And quite honestly, if I did still have a launch 360, I'd rather the damn thing go ahead and RROD so I could get a new one while it's under warranty, rather than treat it with kid gloves and extend its shaky lifespan until it was too late.

drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »

I really wish that they had thought to release a demo that allows you to stand in line outside of a Liberty City video game store waiting anxiously for the game's release.   Maybe with a countdown timer in the corner or something.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 26, 2008, 08:09:26 PM

Quote from: Turtle on April 26, 2008, 08:04:52 PM

Weird, weren't the GTA's always multiplatform?  Just checked, yep, they were, the Xbox 1 had their own versions of 3, San Andreas, and Vice City.  I really don't see why it's a big deal that it's multiplatform.  Yes, there's competition to get either side to buy their version.  And I really don't get the big Sony hate you're spewing, when most people here are just making a simple choice.

All of the GTAs were timed exclusive to PS2. 

Yeah, for years and years.  It took two years for GTA 3 to make it to the Xbox.   icon_eek
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 26, 2008, 08:36:32 PM

The only other option for me to get the PS3 collector's edition would be to cancel my EBgames preorder and order online.....  But then ebgames.com is charging 17.00 shipping and handling for this thing.    So I guess I have to stick to my 360 collector's edition instead.    I'll be able to play with you guys after all assuming my LAUNCH 360 holds up to this game.      Screw you Microsoft for making such a POS quality console.

The evil side of me (which is quite well endowed) is hoping your 360 dies just because you're so damned paranoid about it and mention it in every frickin post man!

You're like that friend of mine that lives in a 'bad' part of town and gets beat up, mugged and/or taunted everytime he goes outside because he always looks like he's expecting to.  Know that it may happen, but don't let it dictate how you act or what you do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »

On the other hand, take out the machismo argument and it's just a product that's supposed to be reliable.  If you have one product that isn't reliable, but can get the same experience with another product that is just as reliable, which one would you go with?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 26, 2008, 10:05:15 PM

Quote from: msduncan on April 26, 2008, 08:36:32 PM

The evil side of me (which is quite well endowed) is hoping your 360 dies just because you're so damned paranoid about it and mention it in every frickin post man!

You're like that friend of mine that lives in a 'bad' part of town and gets beat up, mugged and/or taunted everytime he goes outside because he always looks like he's expecting to.  Know that it may happen, but don't let it dictate how you act or what you do.

LOL.   Well I can see your point.     

I did find a place where I can still order a CE for the PS3.    Amazon -- and get it 2 day shipping for only 10 bucks more.    Now I sit here and ponder whether I should or not.

Because you know..... my 360 might die any minute now.   slywink
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 26, 2008, 10:21:57 PM

On the other hand, take out the machismo argument and it's just a product that's supposed to be reliable.  If you have one product that isn't reliable, but can get the same experience with another product that is just as reliable, which one would you go with?

If only those were the only variables, then it would be simple.  Instead we must endure 'superior system this, superior version that' smile 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:33 PM »

Well for me, part of the point is that the experience isn't the same.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:08:06 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 11:00:14 PM »

Alright I pulled the trigger.    The Amazon preorder is in.   I'll get it Thursday which is fine since I'm out of town Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.      I'll cancel my 360 preorder tomorrow.         

Now my 360 won't RROD on me while I'm playing it.   slywink

Yes.  I'm going to say that in every message now.

BTW -- Since I have gamefly, I intend to rent indefinately the 360 version so I can play with you guys after I get done with single player.     So that's how I justified it.    I've already cleared my gamequeue and set it as the only game in it.    Therefore I should get the 360 for rent so I can do the multiplay thing with ya'll.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:01:51 PM by msduncan » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »

Maybe I don't like the piece of shit controller, the balky online interface, the likely complete lack of voicechat or at least properly support voice communication in online play, no SP DLC, or the lack of the...what 97 people on a friends list? Reliability is a wonderful thing, but it sure isn't the only purchasing factor.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »

I HAVE GTA IV IN MY HANDS! FIRST IMPRESSIONS INCOMING!

(this is what I'll be saying on Tuesday)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:11:35 PM by ATB » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 26, 2008, 11:00:14 PM

Alright I pulled the trigger.    The Amazon preorder is in.   I'll get it Thursday which is fine since I'm out of town Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.      I'll cancel my 360 preorder tomorrow.         

Now my 360 won't RROD on me while I'm playing it.   slywink

Yes.  I'm going to say that in every message now.

BTW -- Since I have gamefly, I intend to rent indefinately the 360 version so I can play with you guys after I get done with single player.     So that's how I justified it.    I've already cleared my gamequeue and set it as the only game in it.    Therefore I should get the 360 for rent so I can do the multiplay thing with ya'll.

Sounds like you have it planned out Duncan.   nod  This way you can also give feedback on what the differences are between the two versions as well.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 26, 2008, 11:08:59 PM

Which stores are selling it early?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 26, 2008, 11:06:39 PM

Maybe I don't like the piece of shit controller, the balky online interface, the likely complete lack of voicechat or at least properly support voice communication in online play, no SP DLC, or the lack of the...what 97 people on a friends list? Reliability is a wonderful thing, but it sure isn't the only purchasing factor.

reliability also won't get rid of the pompous asshattery Sony's Ken and company unloaded before and during it's launch.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

That wouldn't be any fun!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »

"I see what you did there..."

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »

Quote from: kathode on April 26, 2008, 10:43:28 PM

If only those were the only variables, then it would be simple.  Instead we must endure 'superior system this, superior version that' smile 
+1  this ps3 vs 360 bullshit is starting to make me avoid these threads.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 26, 2008, 11:36:06 PM

I'm honestly surprised this thread still exists.  I want a fucking massive, mega-ton GTA4 thread, not a couple split up frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 11:57:22 PM »

Hey other folks are doing PS3 vs 360.   I don't care because I have both.   The only reason I'm counting the breaths of my system is because it's a launch unit.  :p

Anyhows... I can't believe I didn't think of renting one and getting the other.    It's a perfect medium.   I'll enjoy single play on the PS3, and then switch over to my rented 360 copy to play with everyone.     How you like them apples Hark!?  smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »

Agreed.  Unfortunately I *have* to read them  crybaby
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2008, 02:08:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 27, 2008, 02:05:19 AM

Agreed.  Unfortunately I *have* to read them  crybaby

You have to read this too.    Just thought I'd point that out.  smile
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2008, 02:54:45 AM »

another review another 10
http://gamerevolver.com/articlenav-118-page-1.html

plus the greatest review line of all time..

To play Grand Theft Auto IV is like receiving felacio for the first time. It is an amazing, and overwhelming experience that you never want to end, but when it does, itís with a bang.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2008, 03:04:35 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on April 27, 2008, 02:54:45 AM

To play Grand Theft Auto IV is like receiving felacio for the first time. It is an amazing, and overwhelming experience that you never want to end, but when it does, itís with a bang.

Yeah, except that moron can't spell fellatio right.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2008, 03:09:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 27, 2008, 03:04:35 AM

icon_lol icon_lol

i thought he was talking about some type of bread....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2008, 03:37:43 AM »

atb is faking it.  quick, get him!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2008, 04:20:07 AM »

hey, a blow job is a blow job no matter which way you spell it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2008, 04:33:32 AM »

and apparently people have already finished the game.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2008, 04:39:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 27, 2008, 04:33:32 AM

How to get banned until 2099 in one easy step.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 04:41:02 AM »

finger for making me quote to read what you said.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »

Where's Devil and the NIM$ comments? I almost miss Hetz. slywink

K, I think we need a short 360 vs PS3 GTA4 thread. I will contain 1 message, and that is "I have it for X system cuz of Y reasons." No messages will sway anyone, and therefore it's pointless. In light of that fact, I have created and then deleted said thread. Please move on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2008, 04:54:39 AM »

He's never gotten it, is the thing, so he's assuming it will be amazing and overwhelming. Hence the spelling.
How do I know? Why else would the review be so poorly written?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:01:59 AM by Eduardo X » Logged

PSN ID: EduardoX
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2008, 05:40:16 AM »

I'm sorry but as long as I live never will I ever consider a game to be on par with a good blowjob.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2008, 06:09:04 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 27, 2008, 05:40:16 AM

I'm sorry but as long as I live never will I ever consider a game to be on par with a good blowjob.

damn someone for making me agree with Canuck.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 27, 2008, 04:54:39 AM

He's never gotten it, is the thing, so he's assuming it will be amazing and overwhelming. Hence the spelling.
How do I know? Why else would the review be so poorly written?

I know that once I got one my spelling improved tremendously.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2008, 06:21:03 AM »

Getting a blowjob while playing your first game of GTA4?

I think that'd cause someone's head to explode.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 27, 2008, 06:21:03 AM

Getting a blowjob while playing your first game of GTA4?

I think that'd cause someone's head to explode.

I believe that would be the point. icon_twisted

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:46 AM »

Touche.  Tongue

Now all we need is a new hot coffee scandal for GTA4.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: