http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:02:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GT5 Prologue CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT Thread  (Read 12914 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »

Um wow, looks really good.  I don't like realistic racers and even I'm impressed.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »

Cockpit view only baby!!!!!  I think what makes this work in a game is pulling back from the steering wheel enough so you don't feel claustrophobic, and these vids seems to show that.   

Already pre ordered.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

With Motorstorm 2, Wipeout HD, and GT5 Prologue I think exclusive racing games are covered on the PS3 for 2008.

Is the 1080p at 60 FPS only for the menus, or is that in game?  I suppose it's doable while racing since the tracks, while detailed, are all closed so their detail levels can all be very controlled.  If this is true that could be the big advantage GT5 has over its competitors, despite the problems with Prologue.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:35:24 PM by Turtle » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

All I have to say is this: ouch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 07, 2008, 01:51:02 PM

OUCH.

If the reviewer's complaints are valid, here's hoping the Prologue complaints are loud enough to get things fixed for GT5 proper.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

Boom...town?  That's a new one...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 07, 2008, 02:00:24 PM

OUCH.

If the reviewer's complaints are valid, here's hoping the Prologue complaints are loud enough to get things fixed for GT5 proper.

The interesting thing about that review is his glossing over of the whole physics engine.  That's the whole reason to buy the game.  Every other flaw is something we all know about.

Basically, no one is going to be surprised by GT5 Prologue.  Anyone familiar with the series knows exactly what they are going to get from a graphics, sound, and gameplay standpoint.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 07, 2008, 04:54:19 PM

OUCH.

The interesting thing about that review is his glossing over of the whole physics engine.  That's the whole reason to buy the game.  Every other flaw is something we all know about.

Exactly. 

I don't think people will be expecting great driver AI or detailed and dynamic environments.  GT is about car physics and getting the feel of driving the different cars exactly right.  The online problems still worry me though.  I have zero interest in GT single player anymore.  I have read about the online lag in more than a few articles.  So it does seem to be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:16:16 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 07, 2008, 04:54:19 PM

OUCH.

Basically, no one is going to be surprised by GT5 Prologue.  Anyone familiar with the series knows exactly what they are going to get from a graphics, sound, and gameplay standpoint.

The things that stuck out to me in that article were the poor online implementation, graphics problems like screen tearing and FPS issues, and real-life car owners thinking the handling of the virtual versions of their cars isn't realistic.

The only "typical GT series" complaint I might insist on being fixed by now is the forcefield collision model, which seems to still be present.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 07, 2008, 07:07:24 PM

The things that stuck out to me in that article were the poor online implementation, graphics problems like screen tearing and FPS issues, and real-life car owners thinking the handling of the virtual versions of their cars isn't realistic.

My thoughts exactly, and as such why I posted it to begin with.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2008, 01:21:06 AM »

i'll admit i'm really interested in this for sure.   however, i have some questions for you sim/racing gamers.

i usually try most, if not all racing games.....but i truly suck and quit after just a few sessions out of frustration.  for example, i really really liked Dirt, but i couldn't keep the damn cars on the road, so i quit.  that kinda summarizes my history of racing games.

now, my question is this...how much of a difference does a racing wheel make?   i realize these games (like any other genre) takes practice.   but does using a wheel make it that much more "responsive" and "easier to learn?   i'd love to be able to be decent at racing games, but the frustration with a controller for me is not worth the effort anymore.   so i'm wondering if a wheel makes that much more a difference and if it's worth considering purchasing one?

lastly, with all that said....is anyone using a wheel with the PS3?   and if so could you recommend it?

i looked and saw the G25, which looks incredible.   but damn, for that price i'd better be sure i'd get use out of it.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2008, 04:13:32 AM »

Yeah the G25 is such a nice looking wheel... but something I'm just not sure I would get the investment out of.

I personally don't use a wheel, so I'm no help there   icon_neutral

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2008, 04:59:40 AM »

If you don't play racers past the point of frustration and get to the point of really learning them, than a wheel probably won't help.

A wheel does two things:
1) Increases the sense of immersion.
2) Allows you to use a lot more nuance when driving.

If you think that the increased immersion might help you stick with a racer longer, than the wheel might help.  However, I suspect that the wheel might get you to stick with it for a few days longer, and then you'll probably quit again, leaving you with an expensive paperweight.

The second point is much more subtle.  A wheel can help you take corners differently, and allow you to be more subtle with how you use your gas and brake.  For example, there might be a wide turn that, with the controller, you can only take at ~65 mph, due to the stick and triggers not being sensitive enough to let you make fine adjustments as you take the turn.  With the wheel, the increased sensitivity might allow you to take that turn at ~74 mph, shaving seconds off your lap time. 

The thing is, the wheel doesn't really make the game easier to learn.  It makes it harder, but in a different direction.  I remember when Forza 2 first came out, Hark, who played a ton, got the wheel, and it took him several days to get used to it (Hark, correct me if I'm wrong).

It sounds like you may just not be able to get into these types of racers.  The Forza/GT games take a lot of dedication.  Rally racers, like Dirt, are also very hard to learn, but in a different direction.  You might try the PGR series, which is about halfway between Burnout and Forza.  Burnout is, of course, and excellent driving game in the arcade style.  You might also try Stuntman: Ignition.  It's a deceptively demanding racer without being stupidly frustrating, plus the stunts give you much more visceral payoff than executing a perfect pass in GT does.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »

ya i'm not sure what to try.   i do know that i absolutely love the Burnout series.   i have gotten tons of hours off the new Burnout as a matter of fact....simpoly because it's easy to jump into and control and play.   i'd like to think that a wheel would get me that type of enjoyment with the more sim type games like GT5.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

Personally I can turn faster laps in Forza 2 with the controller than the wheel.  It sounds crazy but the 360 controller feels much more precise to me.  Especially using the triggers versus using the pedals for speed control.  I like using the wheel for games with in car dashboard cams like PGR and Dirt.  But on external view games like Forza 2 and Burnout it throws me off.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

well i got GT5 Prologue at the top of my Gamefly list and will get it when it releases.   If i really like how it plays with the gamepad, i might consider an upgrade to a wheel.  what i've thoughts fits my budget a bit more than the G25 is the Logitech Drving Force pro.

i've always loved driving games, but always sucked at them as well.   i've always wanted to try a wheel too but never splurged on one.   

we'll see i guess.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

Things added / edited in NA release:

Online play
- The award of race credits are now allocated at a fixed rate regardless of the number of race participants.
- The High Speed Ring course diagram has been fixed.
- Some online ID's were appearing in grey in the entry list, this has been amended.
- Some online opponents appeared to "blur", this has been amended.

Rankings
- Country and area information now appears next to the online ID in the ranking boards.
- Unusually high scores had been recorded in some Drift Trials, this has been rectified.
- When Drift Trial replays were saved, occasionally these appeared in the "Load as Ghost" option of Time Trials.
This has now been rectified.

Performance Points (PP)
- The method of calculating Performance Points has been revised, to balance vehicles in events with PP upper limits.

Miscellaneous
- LCD display has been added in the F2007 interior view.
- Some interiors and exteriors of some vehicle models have been revised.
- On occasion the Quick Tune gear ratio became impossible to reset in some cars, this has been amended.
- The manual has been updated.

Caution
- The button assignments will be reset when the update is applied.
- In line with the application of the update, all ranking data will also be reset.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 15, 2008, 03:38:08 PM

This game is so pretty it's ridiculous... Urge to buy PS3... rising. I'll probably cave when the full game comes out.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »

Isn't this supposed to be out today?  Still not available on the PSN store.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »

damnit i'm tempted to buy a damn wheel just to get this game as well!!!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 15, 2008, 03:54:33 PM

Digital release - it's out on the Thursday PSN store update.  If you want the disc version, retail locations should be getting it (like 98% of releases) on Wednesday.  And if you don't know the difference between the two, the only difference is the blu-ray disk has a sort of "making of" video that's supposed to be quite extensive.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 15, 2008, 04:09:34 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 15, 2008, 03:54:33 PM

Digital release - it's out on the Thursday PSN store update.  If you want the disc version, retail locations should be getting it (like 98% of releases) on Wednesday.  And if you don't know the difference between the two, the only difference is the blu-ray disk has a sort of "making of" video that's supposed to be quite extensive.

Right-o, thanks!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

well i am weak....

just called my Gamestop and they have a Driving Force Pro GT in stock......gonna go grab it.   might pick up DIRT again and will probably buy GT5 off PSN.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 15, 2008, 05:14:40 PM

well i am weak....

just called my Gamestop and they have a Driving Force Pro GT in stock......gonna go grab it.   might pick up DIRT again and will probably buy GT5 off PSN.

How much are those again...?  Just wondering.  I've toyed with the idea but I dunno.

nvm, just looked myself...

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »

just picked it up.............$150, just setting it up it feels freakin sweet.   http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/4172&cl=us,en

grabbed F1 as well.   gonna get GT5 from PSN as soon as its available.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »

X - does F1 support the Force Feedback of the wheel?  It didn't when I first got the game so if it does now, I will have to redig my wheel out.  REPORT BACK, GOOD SIR.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »

X - that is awesome.  PICS OF THE SETUP PLEASE!

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »

well, i can't get the damn wheel to steer.   everything else works ok on the wheel......brakes, gas, etc.   but it won't steer.   am i missing something?   you have to configure something?

this thing sets perfect on my coffee table too.   i'll take some pics later to post.  my wife is gonna crap when she walks in and looks at this thing connected to her table, lol! 

depward

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

IGN has their review up.  Headline:

"Much more than a demo, Prologue is a fan's taste of perfection."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/866/866698p1.html
8.0    Presentation
The cars are the star of the show and are presented brilliantly. The small track selection is obviously a drawback, but to be expected.
9.0    Graphics
The in-car view is fantastic, and the lighting models are awesome. There are some lingering filtering issues here and there, but it looks amazing overall.
9.5    Sound
Engine sounds are, bar none, the best anywhere. Decent soundtrack too.
8.5    Gameplay
No game drives better or more realistically than this. If only there were more tracks and cars, this score would go way up.
8.0    Lasting Appeal
The limited number of tracks may be disappointing, but it's so fun to drive that hardcore fans won't care too much. The online stuff, while basic, is also good.
Great    OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »

Exactly what I have expected - I AM PLEASED.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:28 AM »

I usually don't play racers, except games like motorstorm, but I'm thinking of getting that wheel and GT5 for my Dad.

Xmann, did you get the wheel working?  The thing does look like it needs some kind of configuration as it seems pretty advanced.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2008, 07:16:34 AM »

I was going to maybe pass on this, or wait to download it. Screw it, here I come EB!!! nod I`ll grab it when I`m out running around today. I guess the only running around will be to get this Tongue!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »

ok, got the wheel working (plugged it into another usb slot and it worked)

some quick initial impressions of the wheel for those considering one for GT5...

first off, this is my first wheel and the first time i've even tried one period.   as mentioned several posts back, i love race games but suck bigtime at them.   i buy and try most, but quick after just a few sessions.   the Driving Force GT is the official wheel for GT5.

the first thing i noticed is this sucker is no plastic toy.  the wheel itself is heavy and sturdy and once clamped to my coffee table, it's stuck and doesn't move.  the gas and break pedal is sturdy too and sitting on my wood floor, it doesn't slide.  construction seems great and i forsee this thing outlasting me.

now gameplay impressions.   again, being the first time i've tried a wheel, i was shocked.   this thing is tight and strong!  no way can you drive with only one hand on the wheel.   again, playing F1 this sucker was pulling me all over the track.   it was alot of work to get a few trips around the track.   my 5 year old son was watching and he commented on how much i had to fight the wheel to keep the car on track.  if it's any indication on how realistic this is, man do race car drivers get a serious workout.   other than working hard with the wheel, the immersion is incredible.   i had to really concentrate on my line and how tight to take a turn and when to hit the gas and when to hit the brakes.   after just a couple hours with F1, i already stuck to it alot longer than i would have without a wheel.

i'm no racer and have no working knowledge of tweaking a vehicle, but theres the ability to fine tune breaking and other things on the fly with a control knob by the wheel itself.  i didn't try shifting gears, but i am gonna try the sequential gear shifting to get an idea of how that works too. 

theres alot of other aspects of the wheel i didn't comment on.    but just from a wheel standpoint from someone who wanted something to immerse themselves more and motivate them to learn to drive better, i'm highly impressed.  i'm excited more than ever for GT5 now.   for anyone with the extra $$ (and not another $100 for the G25), i can't do anything else but suggest to buy this wheel.  i'm gonna go grab a copy of Dirt as well, should be awesome with this wheel.

awesome awesome awesome!

too bad i gotta work tonight tomorrow and Friday evening.   won't get to try GT5 until Saturday evening.   

and yo gellar, FF does work with F1.   damn wheel dragged my sorry butt all over the track with the force feedback!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:37:09 PM by Xmann » Logged

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »

Hey X,
When I first got my wheel and Forza 2 I felt like I was working way harder with it that with the control pad. It would be found evident  when I would review the races, forza has a telementry telemetry option where I see my car habits as well as those of other drivers. I would notice my steering is all over the place and the other drives are barely moving their wheel and some how manage to staying on point. After doing some research and you tubing  icon_biggrin I would soon discover the error of my way, was the bad habit I have of holding the wheel at 10 & 2 or 11 & 1 not to mention sitting on my lap. For best driving results with as little effort as possible you will need to grip the wheel at  9 & 3 with your arm fully extended and the wheel leveled with you nose some will say your chin.  So yeah the whole wheel in your lap thing don't make for good driving, Its a plus you have the coffee table to lock on too. Hope this tip helps you, let me know.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »

I was always IN on this one.  Going to pick it up now as a matter of fact.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

ya i'm sure it's gonna take alot of practice to get the steering down.   good thing is that it's a hell of alot of fun in the process.   don't think i'll ever be able to get the wheel mounted in a spot that is level with my nose or chin.

regardless, i'm so psyched for GT5 now.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks for the news.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »

Picking it up today, succumbed to my inner desire to pick up just a cheapo Driving Force Pro, and looking forward to racing!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

It's not available for download till tomorrow, right?

gellar
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 16, 2008, 03:30:15 PM

It's not available for download till tomorrow, right?

gellar
Right.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: