http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:01:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GT Scariest Games Ever Thread  (Read 2625 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 27, 2007, 07:31:34 PM

EDIT- Having the proper level of brightness is key to enjoying the Thief games.  Since so much of the environment is dark it's important to play in a setting where you can actually see some detail in all of that shadow.  I even wonder how the series fares on today's LCDs since their black levels are much weaker than the CRTs that everyone used when Thief 1&2 were released. 

I have a CRT at my computer, so I did adjust the gamma.  I have no excuse - I'm just a chicken.  Well and the level I stopped at had tunnels that went off at odd angles.  My stomach can't handle that (see Jedi Knight).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 07:43:36 PM »

Definitely, definitely try Thief 2.  I think you stopped at The Burrow or something and as I recall that's the single most hated level in Thief 1.  Thief 2 is much more urban- you'll be stealing from mansions, banks, dock warehouses, etc.  Much less scary too.

Thief 3 is also highly recommended but if you can't handle the first game I'm guessing you won't make it through the Cradle (about 3/4 of the way into the game).  It's not very scary before that though. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 27, 2007, 07:43:36 PM

Definitely, definitely try Thief 2.  I think you stopped at The Burrow or something and as I recall that's the single most hated level in Thief 1.  Thief 2 is much more urban- you'll be stealing from mansions, banks, dock warehouses, etc.  Much less scary too.

Thief 3 is also highly recommended but if you can't handle the first game I'm guessing you won't make it through the Cradle (about 3/4 of the way into the game).  It's not very scary before that though. 

I think it was called "The Bonehoard".  OK, maybe I will give it a try.  I liked the first level where you rob a guy's house - I would be quite happy with a whole game like that.  I was thinking it would be more like an old-timey Splinter Cell and I was quite wrong (in the setting, not the mechanics).  I was interested in Thief 3 because I am much more of a fan of 3rd person games, but I guess I'll put that on the "if I see it real cheap used" list.  I still haven't played Splinter Cell 3 and 4, so I have plenty of go to games in that genre if I get the urge.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:49 PM »

If you liked the first mission in Thief you'll be in heaven in Thief 2. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 27, 2007, 08:10:13 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 27, 2007, 07:43:36 PM

I think it was called "The Bonehoard".  OK, maybe I will give it a try.  I liked the first level where you rob a guy's house - I would be quite happy with a whole game like that.  I was thinking it would be more like an old-timey Splinter Cell and I was quite wrong (in the setting, not the mechanics).  I was interested in Thief 3 because I am much more of a fan of 3rd person games, but I guess I'll put that on the "if I see it real cheap used" list.  I still haven't played Splinter Cell 3 and 4, so I have plenty of go to games in that genre if I get the urge.

Down In the Bonehoard.  Such a completely awesome, creepy level.  Second only to Return to the Cathedral.  I still need to play Thief 3.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »

So here is how it's tallying up so far, some interesting results:

System Shock 2 - 11 votes

Silent Hill 2 - 7

Undying - 6

AvP 2 - 6

Resident Evil - 5

Doom 3 - 5

Silent Hill - 4

Fatal Frame - 4

Fatal Frame 2 - 3

Resident Evil 4 - 3

Bioshock - 3

Thief - 3

Alien Trilogy (includes 1-3) - 3

Half-Life 2 - 3

Thief 3 - 2

Alone in the Dark - 2

Fatal Frame 3 - 2

Resident Evil 2 - 2

F.E.A.R - 2

STALKER - 2

Eternal Darkness - 2

Condemned - 2

Resident Evil: CV - 1

Silent Hill 3 - 1

Silent Hill 4 - 1

Phantasmagoria - 1

Land of the Dead - 1

Gabriel Knight 1 - 1

Gabriel Knight 3 - 1

Thief 2 - 1

Far Cry - 1

Haunted House - 1

Pac Man - 1

Counter-Strike - 1

Day of Defeat - 1

No surprise that System Shock 2 takes the cake, but I thought Condemned would be higher on the list as I recall many GTers mentioned it in other threads.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:20:00 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:20 PM »

previous 'console only' poll...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »

From the ones I finished, I'd rank them:

1) Fatal Frame 2
2) Silent Hill 2
3) Silent Hill
4) Resident Evil 2
5) Silent Hill 3

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »

I must have been too confused as to what the heck was going on to be scared in Silent Hill 2-  coincidentally someone else brought up the game today and said it was really scary.  I think I need to manufacture a massive Pyramidhead mannequin and sneak it into his apartment on a night when he's out so it's the first thing he sees when he opens the door after getting back  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:51 AM »

Undying was just simply one of the greatest games ever.

And +1 to "Alone in the Dark", too.  It's really a shame that game is so dated now.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2007, 03:15:15 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 28, 2007, 03:08:51 AM

And +1 to "Alone in the Dark", too.  It's really a shame that game is so dated now.

a new alone in the dark was originally planned for the 360(and prolly others)for late spring but it got pushed back,it will be interesting to see what they can do with the light effects in that game...talking about light effects in a game i am still very much looking forward to Alan wake

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2007, 03:41:00 AM »

Silent Hill 2 was more creepy than it was scary. The thing that got me though was the noise those shufflers made when you knocked them to the ground. All of a sudden they scuttle away quickly and the sound effect for it freaked me out for weeks.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:05 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2007, 03:15:15 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on August 28, 2007, 03:08:51 AM

a new alone in the dark was originally planned for the 360(and prolly others)for late spring but it got pushed back,it will be interesting to see what they can do with the light effects in that game...talking about light effects in a game i am still very much looking forward to Alan wake
Alone in the dark screenies

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »

I heard the new AiTD is supposed to have a format similiar to 24 this time around, which has me interested.

Because I can,
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 01:40:54 AM »

Isn't the new alone in the dark going to be released as episodes?  I was interested in it 'til I heard that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 04:02:02 AM »

Quote from: Interloper on August 29, 2007, 01:40:54 AM

Isn't the new alone in the dark going to be released as episodes?  I was interested in it 'til I heard that.

I don't thinks it's going to be released as episodes, but the gameplay is designed to be episodic:

This next-gen Alone in the Dark is also built around a unique episodic game structure -- the story is split into a number of distinct 30-40 minute episodes, doled out one at a time as you play. Each time the player launches a saved game, the episode will begin with a video summary of the previous episode to quickly re-immerse the player in the story and removing the need to remember where they were or what they were doing. Every episode will close with a nail-biting cliff-hanger ending to rattle players’ nerves, and if the player is leaving the game a video teaser of the next episode will play to leave them wanting more.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: