http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:51:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Console Catastrophe of 2008  (Read 5586 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 05:07:41 AM »

LOL! That google fight thing is awesome!  If Sony's problem is rather common ( I suppose 13,000 hits is rather common) than I can't even begin to describe what MS's is-endemic?

Quote from: mikeg on June 22, 2008, 02:36:59 PM

Friend of mine sent his console off more than a month ago to be fixed.  He called and found out it was fixed but they were waiting to ship when they had a certain bulk amount ready to go. 

Well that should only take a few hours! biggrin Or are they shipping by cargo container?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:06 AM »

More rating info:

The Sony return box was Next Day delivery:  +1
The Microsoft return box was UPS Ground:  -
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:36 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 25, 2008, 12:16:06 AM

More rating info:

The Sony return box was Next Day delivery:  +1
The Microsoft return box was UPS Ground:  -

Well, Sony charged you $150 to fix their console. They gotta use some of that money to pay for decent shipping.  icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »

So which one had the fastest repair time?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 02:38:22 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 25, 2008, 09:35:50 AM

So which one had the fastest repair time?

They are both still in the shop.   It's a race!   icon_cool
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 06:27:28 AM »

Race war's over!  Whites win again...

What, don't tell me you don't remember that episode of South Park.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 02:36:23 AM »

Sony:  Shows as shipped the 26th.    +1
Microsoft:  Shows as shipped the 26th.   +1
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »

Sony:  shipped 3 day select  +1
Microsoft:  UPS ground  -

(Sony used 3 day when I had warranty service too 6 months ago...so I'm counting it here for out of warranty as well)

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

My PS3 bit the dust yesterday when a freaking electrical charge zapped the house. Apparently the surge protecter was good enough to protect the TV, Computer and Wii that were all plugged into it, but not the PS3.

I have already ordered my coffin and Sony promised me I would either receive the same unit or another unit from the same model line (20 Gig) for backwards compatibility. I hope my turn around is as fast as MSDs.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 12:48:42 AM »

Our parents always made us unplug the electrical appliances (well TV anyways) when we were kids during an electrical storm.  I guess there was actually a good reason for that!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

I think both times my PS3 HDMI issue has been as a result of a lightening strike nearby.    Both times the malfunction happened after a noticable close strike.     For whatever reason the PS3 doesn't take line surges very well -- not as well as any other component I've ever had.   So from now on....EVERYTHING down there get unplugged when I'm not using it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 27, 2008, 04:37:07 PM

My PS3 bit the dust yesterday when a freaking electrical charge zapped the house. Apparently the surge protecter was good enough to protect the TV, Computer and Wii that were all plugged into it, but not the PS3.

I have already ordered my coffin and Sony promised me I would either receive the same unit or another unit from the same model line (20 Gig) for backwards compatibility. I hope my turn around is as fast as MSDs.

I'll be very interested to see if they make good on the promise of returning a 20 gig to you.  I've been incredibly paranoid about my 60 Gig unit biting the dust and not being able to get a new one.  I've heard conflicting reports on how Sony handles it, including giving people an 80 Gig unit and calling it an "upgrade". 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »

I hope they upgrade mine.   I don't give a rip about backward compatability.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 28, 2008, 03:20:53 PM

I think both times my PS3 HDMI issue has been as a result of a lightening strike nearby.    Both times the malfunction happened after a noticable close strike.     For whatever reason the PS3 doesn't take line surges very well -- not as well as any other component I've ever had.   So from now on....EVERYTHING down there get unplugged when I'm not using it.

I have been doing that since day one.  When I am not using it the electrical plug gets pulled from the back of the machine.  AND don't leave the ethernet cord in either.  I believe one of the biggest killers of electronics over time is poor quality electrical current.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 29, 2008, 12:30:31 PM

Quote from: msduncan on June 28, 2008, 03:20:53 PM

I have been doing that since day one.  When I am not using it the electrical plug gets pulled from the back of the machine.  AND don't leave the ethernet cord in either.  I believe one of the biggest killers of electronics over time is poor quality electrical current.

If it is poor quality electrical current in my house, how do I fix that?    Probably amazingly expensive repairs, right?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 02:11:20 PM

If it is poor quality electrical current in my house, how do I fix that?    Probably amazingly expensive repairs, right?

No, just get a decent UPS.  There's a post over at OO on this very subject.  icon_wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:53:41 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

I guess UPS's protect against poor power or power fluctuations?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2008, 06:16:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 06:10:21 PM

I guess UPS's protect against poor power or power fluctuations?

In addition to providing backup power, yes.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 28, 2008, 05:16:10 PM

I'll be very interested to see if they make good on the promise of returning a 20 gig to you.  I've been incredibly paranoid about my 60 Gig unit biting the dust and not being able to get a new one.  I've heard conflicting reports on how Sony handles it, including giving people an 80 Gig unit and calling it an "upgrade". 

From what I've read, Sony kept back quite a few of these consoles in 'reserve' incase of repair reasons. So I'd assume that you'd get back what you bought, especially since they must know that some people want BC in their consoles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »

Would this one work?

Geeksquad one.

I have a gift cert to Best Buy is why I'm asking.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

Do you have any signal noise on your televisions?  What you need, potentially, is not a UPS (which is primarily about protecting your data if you lose power), but a power conditioner.  Best Buy probably has a few inexpensive ones.  How well they work is somewhat in dispute, but serious A/V people often have one for their home theater equipment.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

I dont recall signal noise on the televisions.... however we do have a baby monitor which has two strange things happen periodically:

When the AC comes on either upstairs or downstairs....the monitor reacts by momentarily dipping in volume (presumably in power too).

Periodically -- maybe once every 5 to 10 minutes it seems (not exactly sure the interval) there's a strange electronic sound that comes in over the speaker -- rapid and lasts a second or so.....   sort of an electronic pulse or something.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »

Btw I thought UPS's did basically do power conditioning since it maintains a constant level?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »

They do more than provide backup power. I don't believe you need to buy any kind of dedicated conditioner, pretty much any decent UPS nowadays should also do voltage regulation plus surge and noise suppression. The wiki page for Uninterrupible Power Supply notes that "It also provides protection against all common power problems, and for this reason it is also known as a power conditioner and a line conditioner."

I have this Tripp Lite which works great for our two desktops computers. Picked it up at Costco. Scroll down into the specs for all the gory details. It should stop the 'brown outs' and 'strange electrical sound' phenomena, I would think.

-craig

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 29, 2008, 08:15:43 PM

Would this one work?

Geeksquad one.

I have a gift cert to Best Buy is why I'm asking.

icon_confused I don't know about that one. The description is a little 'light' and it's hard to tell if it does anything other than provide power and surge protection.

-craig

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2008, 12:30:22 AM »

It says AVR under the specs.   That's voltage regulation, right?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2008, 12:45:34 AM »

And I guess the other quetion I have is:

Most of these UPS's seem to be aimed at PC users since they come with software (like the geeksquad one).    They are still useable on the TV, consoles, etc right?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 30, 2008, 12:45:34 AM

And I guess the other quetion I have is:

Most of these UPS's seem to be aimed at PC users since they come with software (like the geeksquad one).    They are still useable on the TV, consoles, etc right?

Sure, you bet. The software lets you monitor the battery levels and auto shutdown the PC when they reach a certain threshold, so wouldn't be useful for other appliances.

You don't really need the 'battery backup' part so that's your call if that's an extra bonus or just an added expense. You can definitely find something that does surge protected, but they're not going to 'condition' the power like a UPS would. I'll bet I could find some sort of Monster branded gizmo that says it does all that but for the cost you'd end up paying I'd get a UPS. icon_wink

My two cents.

-craig

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 30, 2008, 12:30:22 AM

It says AVR under the specs.   That's voltage regulation, right?

Sure... Automated Voltage Regulation. I was looking for something about noise suppression but didn't see anything on the page that mentioned that.

-craig

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2008, 02:34:56 AM »

btw it looks like both of my consoles are due on July 1st.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 03:20:26 AM »

Sorry if this is already here somewhere, but I was wondering how long each was 'in the shop'?

-craig

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2008, 11:22:19 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 30, 2008, 03:20:26 AM

Sorry if this is already here somewhere, but I was wondering how long each was 'in the shop'?

24 hours for each.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »

ok... both consoles just arrived.   I'm going to get my serial numbers and see if any of them were repaired or outright replaced.

Un momento por favor:

Edit to add:   Btw -- the UPS guy identified my 360 coffin and said  "Getting your Xbox back eh?   I've delivered a TON of those things... every day."

eek   Microsoft must be losing a fortune on fixing these things.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:58:34 PM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Sony:   Replaced unit
Microsoft:  Same unit

I'm going to hook them up in a few minutes and I'll report on if they are fixed or not.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 01, 2008, 05:56:08 PM

Edit to add:   Btw -- the UPS guy identified my 360 coffin and said  "Getting your Xbox back eh?   I've delivered a TON of those things... every day."

the UPS Store guy recognized my coffin when i dropped it off back in january....said he was still seeing quite a few of them every week.  you would think it might improve eventually...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

Sony:   Replaced unit

MY biggest question is if your HD needs to reformatted or not? I sure as hell don't want to lose all my save data, especially since I was literally on the last boss for MGS4 and I don't want to have to start all the way over for just 5 minutes of gameplay and likely a 30 minute video.

Let me know.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »

Scraper, even if you did have to reformat the HD, which likely you don't.  I, other forum members, and even GameFAQs can give you a save file right before the final boss, or very close to where you were, and you could easily transfer it to your PS3 via USB flash drive.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »

And also -- I made a backup of my system to a portable hard drive .   I should be able to just restore it onto the PS3 and get all my stuff back.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:59:38 PM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »

PS3 HDMI works.   I restored backup -- works.

Xbox360 is now operational.    No RROD so far.     Will test extensively tonight.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:44 PM »

My 60 gig PS3 bit the dust about a week ago during my second playthrough of MGS4.  It's out of the warranty period as well.  My coffin has arrived...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 01, 2008, 06:33:34 PM

Quote from: msduncan on July 01, 2008, 05:56:08 PM

the UPS Store guy recognized my coffin when i dropped it off back in january....said he was still seeing quite a few of them every week.  you would think it might improve eventually...

Same here.  UPS guy recognized it when I dropped it off and the UPS guy delivering the fixed console made a comment too. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: