http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:49:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Console Catastrophe of 2008  (Read 5625 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:55 AM »

Last week, as I posted here, my PS3 HDMI port stopped working.     I'm calling Sony about this tomorrow.

Tonight, after firing up Lego Indiana Jones, my Xbox360 suddenly froze solid with garbled graphics on the screen.     I reset, and it froze in boot.    I reset again -- three rings of death.    I reset again -- frozen but no rings.    Again --  three rings of death again.   I reset again -- it lets me play a while longer.

I just turned it off and will let it rest overnight.    I'm assuming I can count on the permanent three rings within days, is that right?     

Two consoles in a week go out on me.   I'm forced to go to EQ2 and hope my computer doesn't fail me.   I have triple video game redundancy -- so if two fail I can still computer game.      Not sure what I'll do if the computer goes too.   paranoid
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:53:16 AM »

Wow thats some awful luck. Yikes.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:51:28 AM »

Ouch.  My 360 had the same problem.  You can use the towel trick to get a few weeks or so more play time out of the console, but it sounds like the video chip is fried.

Did you try all the steps I posted a while back with the PS3 HDMI connections?  The PS3 and certain TVs are very finicky when it comes to HMDI.  You wouldn't happen to have a Vizio would you?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »

Your 360 was obviously jealous and wanted some attention of its own.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 17, 2008, 04:51:28 AM

Ouch.  My 360 had the same problem.  You can use the towel trick to get a few weeks or so more play time out of the console, but it sounds like the video chip is fried.

Did you try all the steps I posted a while back with the PS3 HDMI connections?  The PS3 and certain TVs are very finicky when it comes to HMDI.  You wouldn't happen to have a Vizio would you?

Towel trick never worked for me. The good news is that MS has streamlined their turnaroudn time and you should have it back in less than 10 days.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »

Why does it still boot?   I don't want it to last, I want it to go ahead and get it over with so I can phone it in!
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »

Maybe it's a sign.

"Goonies never say die"
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 17, 2008, 11:19:23 AM

Why does it still boot?   I don't want it to last, I want it to go ahead and get it over with so I can phone it in!

Phone it in.  Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've never heard of MS refusing to repair a console, or charging for it, because they can't replicate the 3 rings.  I tend to doubt they even do much testing.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 17, 2008, 11:53:39 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 17, 2008, 11:19:23 AM

Phone it in.  Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've never heard of MS refusing to repair a console, or charging for it, because they can't replicate the 3 rings.  I tend to doubt they even do much testing.

+1   Call it in now.  It's only gonna get worse.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »

You wouldn't have any luck if it weren't for the bad luck.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

I recommend moving your consoles off the stovetop and into a more cool environment smile

I would call it in.  If they give you any crap about not having the specific 3 rings of death, hang up, wrap it in a towel, put it in a glass case out in the sun, call back when you do smile
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, that really sucks.

My 360 bit the dust after 2 1/2 years ( a launch day system ) of heavy use. I was able to send it to MS and they repaired it and sent back my original box within two weeks.
It was only at MS for about 3 days and they fixed it for free since it was RRoD.

I know many people experienced a great deal of issues initially, but it looks like they are a lot better at it now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:10:17 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on June 17, 2008, 04:08:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, that really sucks.

My 360 bit the dust after 2 1/2 years ( a launch day system ) of heavy use. I was able to send it to MS and they repaired it and sent back my original box within two weeks.
It was only at MS for about 3 days and they fixed it for free since it was RRoD.

I know many people experienced a great deal of issues initially, but it looks like they are a lot better at it now.

Cool.   I'll call about it.   

BTW -- the 360 is a launch unit.   Do I get the prize for longest lived launch unit 360 on gamingtrend?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:38 AM »

Mine still works.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 18, 2008, 12:24:38 AM

Mine still works.

It won't now Tongue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »

$149 for the PS3 repair.    mad
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Ok 360 they are sending me a box.    Free repair. 

At one time I had one of those fans on the back of my box.    Will they be able to tell I had one and thus claim I voided the warranty?   paranoid
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »

Ok now I can't get the dang thing to do it again (360).   I'm thinking I should call them tomorrow and let them know that it's functioning again and to hold off on sending me the box.   I ***KNOW*** it is going to die, but I don't want to send it to them just for them to turn it on and find nothing wrong and send it back.

I think I'll just cancel and play it until it really dies.

**or do you guys think I should risk sending it in when it's not doing it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:46:05 AM by msduncan » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 06:36:52 AM »

Mine still works.

So does mine.  I wonder who's is technically older?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 18, 2008, 04:31:54 AM

Ok now I can't get the dang thing to do it again (360).   I'm thinking I should call them tomorrow and let them know that it's functioning again and to hold off on sending me the box.   I ***KNOW*** it is going to die, but I don't want to send it to them just for them to turn it on and find nothing wrong and send it back.

Send it in. If it's a launch unit it will probably be out of warranty for the red rings soon and since it's showing signs of dying I'd go ahead and exchange it now.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 09:16:56 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on June 18, 2008, 09:09:27 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 18, 2008, 04:31:54 AM

Send it in. If it's a launch unit it will probably be out of warranty for the red rings soon and since it's showing signs of dying I'd go ahead and exchange it now.

+1, send it in now.  The sooner you get it out there the sooner it comes back.  Get it out of the way so you're not going through this again soon. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »

I know I know... it's just the heavily accented gentleman on the phone said if they couldn't reproduce it they would send it back to me unrepaired.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »

Then log on and play a marathon session of BF: BC with me until we force your system to DIE!  icon_twisted
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 18, 2008, 11:15:51 AM

I know I know... it's just the heavily accented gentleman on the phone said if they couldn't reproduce it they would send it back to me unrepaired.

He's lying.

They won't try to reproduce it; they will still heat-sink it and then send it back.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 18, 2008, 01:22:55 PM

Quote from: msduncan on June 18, 2008, 11:15:51 AM

He's lying.

They won't try to reproduce it; they will still heat-sink it and then send it back.

Exactly. It RRoD'ed once. That's good enough.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

Or you could always keep the box until you can get it to die. I don't think there is a time limit on it. My Xbox died the day I went on vacation. I ended up being gone for a month, so when I was finally able to get home and send it in the box had been sitting at my house for awhile.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

sorry for your badluck MsDuncan,you sound like me when it was a week before GTA4 release and my 360 got 3 rings and my PS3 wouldnt play discs .....both happened on the same day(it was a sunday...a bloody sunday)

the ps3 was reformatted,so i lost all my data,however it started to work again,and still does(fingers crossed)

my 360 had to be sent back and i borrowed my sisters 360(which is mine really anyway)..and MS were pretty swift actually,it took them under a week to get my 360 back repaired as well..so i didnt lose any GTA4 playing time

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 18, 2008, 06:36:52 AM

Mine still works.

So does mine.  I wonder who's is technically older?

Mine is from sitting in line overnight at BestBuy, launch day - no wait, I sold that one on eBay to pay for mine.  That one is from being the 3rd person signed up for a pre-order at EB/Gamestop, picked up when they opened their doors.  I also have one bought the following February, both are still working.

I've had two scares since then, with one or two rings of death, can't remember how many, but not the one that says, Kiss your 360 (or something else) goodbye.  In one case, it was the connections - I swapped the 360's with each other, and it solved it, lol.  The other one was the "Your 360 is overheated but not dead" - and I took my Nyko Intercooler (fan thingie that snaps on the back of the unit) from the downstairs one and put it on the overheated one - then got another Nyko later.  Both are back to full functionality.  I usually don't get this lucky, but I did, for a change!

I figure I've gotten my money's worth from both units now, if one dies of RROD, I'm going to give it to someone who doesn't have a 360 and wants to go through the send-back deal.  Then I'll wait for the model with the newest chip-set (can't remember, think it's the Jasper) which was scheduled to come out in August, if they are still on track.

Also, I've always had all my console units lying flat, with plenty of air flow, but a nephew was visiting the night of the overheating event, and he said all his friends say you should only use the 360 in the vertical position.  Since the PS2's were always a problem running upright, I'm wondering if the 360 is different... anyone know?  Just curious if there is any correlation to RROD and vertical/ horizontal placement.  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 18, 2008, 06:53:30 PM

Also, I've always had all my console units lying flat, with plenty of air flow, but a nephew was visiting the night of the overheating event, and he said all his friends say you should only use the 360 in the vertical position.  Since the PS2's were always a problem running upright, I'm wondering if the 360 is different... anyone know?  Just curious if there is any correlation to RROD and vertical/ horizontal placement.  icon_confused

I used to have my 360 sitting horizontal, but I switched it to vertical after I got the RROD. The second unit has been running ok since then. I like to think that it has more surface area exposed, and only a portion of the console is blocked by the floor, so it should cool off more effectively. I know I am kidding myself, but whatever.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »

My 360 lives horizontally on top of a hardback textbook.  That way there is air flow from all the vents and it doesn't strain the dvd drive.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »

My downstairs 360 is on a wrought-iron stand, on a sort of grate thing, horizontal - so it has air literally on all sides.  The one that overheated was on a solid stand with airflow on top, sides, and back.  I probably should have thought of placing that one vertically, since 360's frequently overheat, but I haven't heard of them having any disk drive issues.

I decided to take no chances, and simply picked up another fan unit for the upstairs one. Of course, it's still vertical, because as soon as space was freed up on the stand, something else took it's place. Par for the course.  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 02:09:23 AM »

Dropped my 360 off at UPS today.   It's on it's way to the repair center.

Do they actually repair them, or do they swap them out?    If they repair them, what exactly do they do to them?

My PS3 coffin arrived today.   I'll send it off through UPS Monday.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 02:27:08 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 21, 2008, 02:09:23 AM

Do they actually repair them, or do they swap them out?    If they repair them, what exactly do they do to them?

It varies.  Some people have them replaced (often with another refurb).  Others, like me, received their original unit back.  Presumably they slap a new heatsink on or something.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 01:16:20 PM »

BTW -- My PS3 console coffin is here too.    I'll be able to report side by side on how service from the two play out.

First impression:

Microsoft was free:  +1
Sony was not:  -

Second:
Microsoft got the box to me a day earlier:  +1
Sony did not:   -
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »

Interesting to see how this plays out.  What is Sony charging you for? The shipping?  I wonder which turnaround time will be faster-I'm guessing the 360.  They should have it down to a perfected science by now smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »

Friend of mine sent his console off more than a month ago to be fixed.  He called and found out it was fixed but they were waiting to ship when they had a certain bulk amount ready to go.  If that's true, yet another stupid policy from Microsuck.  Sad thing is one guy gets his back in a week and another in 8.  The inconsistency is mindboggling. 

By the way, he just got this same console back a month before that and that one only lasted about a month.  This will now be his fourth or fifth.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:40:56 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 21, 2008, 02:09:23 AM

My first one was swapped out for a refurb that was 6 months older than the one I sent in.  Yeah, that made me happy.  They just repaired the second one (DVD drive wasn't working) and sent back the same unit.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 12:43:13 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 22, 2008, 01:28:59 PM

Interesting to see how this plays out.  What is Sony charging you for? The shipping?  I wonder which turnaround time will be faster-I'm guessing the 360.  They should have it down to a perfected science by now smile

Sony is charging me $150 for a problem that seems to be rather common on the internet -- HDMI output going out.    (I'm out of warranty)

M$ recognized their console weakness and extended the original warrany for red rings.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 04:12:42 AM »

when i sent back my system, it was gone for just shy of a month.  didn't help that it took 9 days each way in shipping.

hopefully, yours will be back much sooner.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 04:43:15 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 23, 2008, 12:43:13 AM

Sony is charging me $150 for a problem that seems to be rather common on the internet -- HDMI output going out.    (I'm out of warranty)

M$ recognized their console weakness and extended the original warrany for red rings.

Ooh.  Google Fight. slywink

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: