http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 08:56:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Godfather 2 PC Impressions  (Read 3464 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »

so, anyone else planning on grabbing the PC version?  I was on the fence until one of the guys at my local Gamestop (who has always been straightforward with me on what they're getting in) told me they were only getting in 2 copies of the PC version since no one actually pre-ordered the game.  after that, and seeing that they had recently halved their PC games section from 2 sides of a display rack to 1 side, I put money down on it.  He even gave me the code to unlock that special Made Man even though the promotion was only listed for the consoles (whether or not it works is another question).

My impressions so far?  it sucks to be stuck at work with the game waiting to be played just blocks away.  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »

My guy looking thoughtful as fireworks go off:

I'm going to have to kill these fashion victims?  COOL!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »

so, in a odd turn of event, I'm actually getting some hitching during gameplay on a PC that runs Far Cry 2 beautifully.  there's not many settings to play with, but I think it may be related to the fact that objects don't really seem to show any detail until you get within 10 feet of them.  luckily none of the pop-in (ie cars not there then 'pop' it's there) that's been reported for the 360 version has shown up yet.

I tried looking on EA's forums for some tweaks, but now I think I need to go read some Harry Potter fanfic pr0n to raise my IQ level back up after reading some of the stuff that is on there....

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »

I bought it for PC while I was out for lunch despite having no time to play it. hope to at least install it and get started tongiht.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »

tons of hitching on a high end pc. what gives?
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:02:01 AM »

I have an unopened copy available for trade here:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=32805.0
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »

Quote from: vizionblind on April 09, 2009, 12:39:32 AM

tons of hitching on a high end pc. what gives?

I see hitching in the movies, but I haven't noticed any during gameplay. Pretty annoying.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2009, 04:52:08 AM

so, in a odd turn of event, I'm actually getting some hitching during gameplay on a PC that runs Far Cry 2 beautifully.  there's not many settings to play with, but I think it may be related to the fact that objects don't really seem to show any detail until you get within 10 feet of them.  luckily none of the pop-in (ie cars not there then 'pop' it's there) that's been reported for the 360 version has shown up yet.

I tried looking on EA's forums for some tweaks, but now I think I need to go read some Harry Potter fanfic pr0n to raise my IQ level back up after reading some of the stuff that is on there....

I told you to get the 360 version.   Roll Eyes disgust

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »

yea, I think the 360 version may be the way to go...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 10, 2009, 11:35:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2009, 04:52:08 AM

I told you to get the 360 version.   Roll Eyes disgust

I can deal with the occasional hitch for no pop-in and mouse/keyboard controls.  I watched the Gametrailers review and the detail issue I mentioned shows up in the 360 version shown too.

looking into it further apparently the hitching people are having apparently was not in the last beta build.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »

OK, from the 'Cnnot leave well enough alone' files:  I was playing around with settings last night and got it running smoothly, but then I couldn't stop playing around with them and ended up losing the smoothness with no real notes on what I had changed.  I think it might have been telling the GF2.exe to run as admin plus a couple of video changes but I can't replicate it.  the fact that I did it and then screwed it up makes me want to:

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

I am finding it kind of annoying your Made Men's ability to upgrade to better weapons is tied into playing MP and getting 'honors'.  so if you don't intend to play MP your SP game is gimped?  seems kinda unfair.  another thing that gets me is that it looks like it costs money whenever you want to change their weapons.  like they couldn't pick up one that's sitting around in your safehouse?

still, I'm having fun so far.  I got a bunch of favors done last night, at one point it seemed like I accepted one another would pop up, and eventually I had 10 favors lined up (including two from the same woman who had a contract killing pop up right after I accepted a bombing mission from her), but found out 2 of the bombing ones I took were for my own businesses  saywhat

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2009, 05:40:29 PM

I am finding it kind of annoying your Made Men's ability to upgrade to better weapons is tied into playing MP and getting 'honors'.  so if you don't intend to play MP your SP game is gimped?

You can kill off the low license guys when you see higher license guys. slywink

seems kinda unfair.  another thing that gets me is that it looks like it costs money whenever you want to change their weapons.  like they couldn't pick up one that's sitting around in your safehouse?

Those weapons cost money!

still, I'm having fun so far.  I got a bunch of favors done last night, at one point it seemed like I accepted one another would pop up, and eventually I had 10 favors lined up (including two from the same woman who had a contract killing pop up right after I accepted a bombing mission from her), but found out 2 of the bombing ones I took were for my own businesses  saywhat

I never had to bomb my own business and I own everything in 2 locations and am working on wiping out family #3. I'm really enjoying the game still. There are a few niggling things I wish weren't there but overall I'm happy enough to have played it every free minute for the past 4 or 5 days... though free minutes are much more rare than they once were.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 13, 2009, 01:58:56 PM

You can kill off the low license guys when you see higher license guys. slywink

but I like Jimmy the Nose, Bernie the Christian and Hank the Crank!  crybaby

I never had to bomb my own business and I own everything in 2 locations and am working on wiping out family #3. I'm really enjoying the game still. There are a few niggling things I wish weren't there but overall I'm happy enough to have played it every free minute for the past 4 or 5 days... though free minutes are much more rare than they once were.

maybe it was because I haven't gotten out of NYC yet (been too busy playing Fallout 3) and own everything, but the first one was to bomb the whorehouse near the Corleone Compound and the other was the bakery you take over first.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »

Just finished the game. I enjoyed it. Sure there were some bugs and it certainly isn't a pretty game, but overall I found it to be a pretty enjoyable experience. It took me around 12 hours to finish it without doing much of anything extraneous.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »

Picked up a copy of The Onion and found a review for this game there, apparently reprinted from the A.V. Club website. Overall they gave it a B- but one note about the voice work made me chuckle:

Reprising his role as consigliere Tom Hagen in voice work, Robert Duvall delivers a performance so vivid, you can almost hear him looking at his watch.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »

so far I've taken out both Rosato's and made the bonus guy a Capo, which gives him a third skill and makes him very handy.  I've also been busy taking over enemy businesses to strip away thair perks- my first target was one of the ones that gives you cheaper guards- I'd like to see how long that family can keep up the insane amount of guards they have been keeping on their fronts when they have to pay full price.

I'm having fun so far, but I haven't been doing alot of favors.  when I took down Tony Rosato I only offed one of his made guys.  I've also found that you don't have to take out all the guards to take over a business- a few times I've been busy intimidating the places owner while a firefight was still going on.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »

Last night I wiped out the Granados and now own all of NYC and Miami.  The Grandos didn't do much to me except bomb one of my businesses a few times- it was the same one and it seemed like there was nothing I could do about it, but luckily it only took away my ammo belts.  After that I had to rough up some union guy (hey, he could have survived being thrown off the third story of his compound), returned to NYC and robbed a bank on the way back to see Michael.  I wonder if I skipped any of the story since I pretty much set out to wipe out the Granados and Rosatos as soon as I got to Miami even though my mission was to take over only one crime ring from each of them.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2009, 02:38:35 PM

I wonder if I skipped any of the story

There's a story? From what I could tell the story doesn't really change based on your actions.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »

I hit the part with the Mangano's last night, and that cheap stunt the devs pulled after the warehouse mission kinda irked me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
taking away some fronts during a cutscene was kinda lame- I could have easily defended them considering how easy it was to take them back.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 23, 2009, 03:52:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
taking away some fronts during a cutscene was kinda lame- I could have easily defended them considering how easy it was to take them back.

I was annoyed by that as well, but it didn't take long to undo it and I appreciated it from a story perspective... and as I mentioned previously, as thin as the story was, having something like that helped.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:52 AM »

tonight I finished the game, but almost gave up due to a weird glitch halfway through the final mission.  I was running from the cops on the way to my Florida compound, and halfway there my controls glitched all of a sudden.  my sprint key became my weapons change key, my use key became my sprint key, my fire key wouldn't do anything while my aim key fired, tab and ESC switched between each other and I could not figure out what key became the use key to commandeer a car while none of my made men command keys did anything at all.  I ended up running all the way to the compound, almost dying at one point as I got shot up, went down and watched both of my medics run away from me.  at 5 seconds one of them teleported back to me (literally popped out of thin air in front of me) and I was able to make it the rest of the way.

whew!  I'm done.  now to lend this to my friends so none of them actually spend money on it.  this is a time where the sequel was definitely not better than the original, and if they do a third game they're going to have to do alot of convincing plus get stellar reviews to get me to buy it.  I had fun, but given the scope of the first game the additions didn't add enough to make up for smaller areas.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: