http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:21:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GodFather 2 Impression  (Read 7382 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »

Got this for the 360 I owned the first one for PC and never played the console versions. So far the controls are smooth and fluent the aiming is on point with the LT to lock and RT to Shoot. The first Gun I got was some 1944 pistol that took forever to kill.
The driving so far seems realistic in a way but the vehicle I currently have seems rough on corners. This game is deep as far as managing you crew and business well for business you basically put up to a set amount of guards there to protect the place. At a $100 buck per person I find myself balancing between my income and guards. Also its pushing me to extort the Max amount out of businesses to cover expenses.
I am in charge of who to HIT to what my crew wears. As I play more I will give more information about the game, as for now I am only getting my feet wet.

COUPLE MORE HOURS OF PLAY
The core mechanics of the game is still there along with the Ability to give orders from a map you pull up with the start button. You choose your mobsters through an interview process "what do u do" "tell me about your self" and there is more info via what seems to be a Resume.
The side missions comes from the common people on the street from Key informant to missions to killing a husband or wife so they can move in. There are a-lot of demented people out there. You have a choice to refuse any of there missions, but some may require you to have the right people to complete it alla Demolition exp. Safe Cracker ect.
Witnesses are part of the game also beating someone up on the street, running over peds. or even extorting a store will alarm passerby's to run to a pay phone and call the cops on you.

Unlike the past GF when you pull up the map you only see a small part of the city, I am at the first Mob still but so far its focusing on one gang right now. May still be the get your feet wet missions. either way its enough for now because it is\can get overwhelming if it was not for the game\Boss giving directions.

I like how you have to work the streets for information to the location of the enemy head soldiers in that family's tree to weaken that Family ability to effectively run the streets. Because as the game said everything you can do to them they can do to you. For now I keep my soldiers close to me and spend more on goons to defend my fronts. I will soon have to seek out a new strategy as my Family tree gets bigger, 3 seems to be the max you can take with you for now. I must add to send your message to your rival families you must execute their soldiers in a specific way, Shot between the eyes, Chocking, thrown off a building and so on.

This game is lots of fun and a crap load to do. This is a perfect mix of GTA, SaintsRow2, & GangStars2.

This is already out? I thought it wasn't until next week?
saywhat Are you sure it comes out next week? 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:29:00 AM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »

This is already out? I thought it wasn't until next week?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:17 PM »

I hate you.  you're off of my friends list  crybaby

(someone should report him for playing a pirated copy!  Tongue)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:59 AM »

icon_lol  He's reviewing a pirated copy?  icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:32:40 AM »

I can't wait for this game either. 

I learned my lesson regarding modding when I was permanently banned from Xbox Live on the eve that Halo 2 came out.

Go Gunners...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 02, 2009, 09:33:38 PM

saywhat Are you sure it comes out next week?   

Because I can,
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »

Argggghhh matey! JuniorDan let his flags fly!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »

Woohoo I got lucky again..... Um I don't Pirate. Why can't I know people in high places.
This is the real deal, stop trying to put a brother down I strongly support game developers.

PS3 Spinks
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »

I heard that people are also getting Riddick at Gamestop today. Supposedly some games don't have official street dates, they are just available to sell when stores get them? Don't know if that is true or what happened here.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:32:57 AM »

nobody thinks you pirated furreal. we're just mad cause you gots it and we don't.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 03, 2009, 02:32:57 AM

nobody thinks you pirated furreal. we're just mad cause you gots it and we don't.

this.   + a billion

now, get back to the impressions, you lucky bastage

how well do the black hand controls seem now?  new moves?  what have you seen so far that ties into the movie?  (not too specific of course)

damn my luck, but i just know i won't be able to find this around me until next week.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:32 AM »

Quote from: Caine on April 03, 2009, 03:01:26 AM

this.   + a billion

how well do the black hand controls seem now?  new moves?  what have you seen so far that ties into the movie?  (not too specific of course)

damn my luck, but i just know i won't be able to find this around me until next week.

The Black hand controls seemed a lot more exciting in the first game now that you mention it. I can grab, shake, head bot, Knee to the body, strangle with bare hands & thump (not Punch) Thump in the face. I am having a hard time bashing heads to the tables, wall or nearby items. I could be just doing it wrong.

New Moves?????
The Movie?????

I am sorry but its been sometime for me since the last game and even longer for the movie. I don't think this have any ties to the move at all.
The whole family tree and Don control is new but you all already know this.

PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:52 AM »

yeah, note the  Tongue at the end of my statement matey! Tongue

Because I can,
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »

Ya sorry, it was completely jokey, like Arggghhh and everything. I didn't mean it like "You god-damn thief!"
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 03:57:58 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on April 03, 2009, 03:53:56 AM

Ya sorry, it was completely jokey, like Arggghhh and everything. I didn't mean it like "You god-damn thief!"

lol  ninja

PS3 Spinks
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

Congrats on the early score JD! More impressions please. (Though I still need to play Godfather 1 which is dormant on my bookshelf, atm)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on April 03, 2009, 01:07:04 PM

Congrats on the early score JD! More impressions please. (Though I still need to play Godfather 1 which is dormant on my bookshelf, atm)

It is SO good, J. SO good.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »

Is the language rough in this one?  I just want to know whether or not I'll have an issue playing this around my wife (violence aside).

Go Gunners...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 03, 2009, 01:43:45 PM

Is the language rough in this one?  I just want to know whether or not I'll have an issue playing this around my wife (violence aside).

Yes, it's rough. I was surprised yesterday, because even the Amazon clip they had to demo the game was dropping F-bombs and showed a guy doing an execution style murder. I wouldn't think Amazon would make that clip readily watchable by kids.

It is SO good, J. SO good.

I've heard. my problem is SO many good games at once right now smile

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

Will someone who doesn't like GTA and most GTA type games (except Mafia) and loves the Godfather movies like this game?  I didn't play the first one.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

Yes, on the language. The nudity is up by 200% of that in all the GTA series combined. It feels like 75% or the rackets are strip joints. I whacked a guy beating down a lady in her birthday suit in an ally. Why she was naked in the first place? I don't have a clue. May have been an attempted rape, but the nudity is huge.

PS3 Spinks
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 02:09:43 PM

Yes, on the language. The nudity is up by 200% of that in all the GTA series combined. It feels like 75% or the rackets are strip joints. I whacked a guy beating down a lady in her birthday suit in an ally. Why she was naked in the first place? I don't have a clue. May have been an attempted rape, but the nudity is huge.

See...now they're losing me. There were a few swear words in the original and IIRC there were a few women in underwear...
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM

Will someone who doesn't like GTA and most GTA type games (except Mafia) and loves the Godfather movies like this game?  I didn't play the first one.

Its hard for me to answer that because its so much like GTA with so much more control that you don't want to class it with GTA. IF you ever played Gangsters 1 or 2 this is the 3D version of that game.  

PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 03, 2009, 02:18:32 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 02:09:43 PM

See...now they're losing me. There were a few swear words in the original and IIRC there were a few women in underwear...

Yeah...sorry there boobs every where they put lace-granny-panties to cover the "P" if that helps

PS3 Spinks
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM

I hated GTAIV but loved every second of the original Godfather game. The atmosphere and design was awesome, and the movie events were very well woven into the game. I would imagine if they took the same tact with the sequel then yes, you'll enjoy it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »

nudity?  IN!

now I just have to figure out if I want to get the 360 or PC version.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 02:29:16 PM

IF you ever played Gangsters 1 or 2 this is the 3D version of that game.  

The changes they made to the second one kinda turned me off, but I liked Gangsters 1. If it's that kind of gameplay then I'll be pretty happy. Gangsters was fun in the way you ran your empire as a business venture, with goons and hit men. I'm a sick puppy, sure I am...  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

For the Godfather movie lovers. Unlike part 1 This is Not part of the Movie.
The Godfather II game goes beyond the film's story by setting players in the world of organized crime in 1960's Florida, Cuba and New York.
After being promoted by Michael Corleone to Don of New York, players expand to new cities, as they build up their families through extorting businesses, monopolizing illegal crime rings and defeating new families in an effort to become the most powerful mob family in America. To help players manage their empire, The Godfather II introduces "The Don's View" - an innovative strategy meta-game that allows players to oversee the entire world as they grow the family business. Using the Don's View, players will be able to build, defend and expand their crime rings, while keeping an eye on the movements and plans of the rival families. Players will also learn to master the business of organized crime by building a family of Made Men, hiring crew, handing out orders, and promoting their best men up the ranks.

Quote from: Caine on April 03, 2009, 03:01:26 AM

this.   + a billion

The Black hand controls seemed a lot more exciting in the first game now that you mention it. I can grab, shake, head bot, Knee to the body, strangle with bare hands & thump (not Punch) Thump in the face. I am having a hard time bashing heads to the tables, wall or nearby items. I could be just doing it wrong.

New Moves?????
The Movie?????

I am sorry but its been sometime for me since the last game and even longer for the movie. I don't think this have any ties to the move at all.
The whole family tree and Don control is new but you all already know this.

Black hand capabilities seems to be an upgrade I have to learn so there maybe more to it than I first stated. There are various finishing moves you can perform.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:03:01 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »

What I don't mind but you may not like about the game that I've seen so far.
  • 1)Pop in, pop ins, pop ins. Remember GTAIII  Cars here one second and gone the other
  • 2)Your Made men have the ability to "telerport" This must have been put in to counter act any path finding issues. I am also suspect on some of the bad guys to. There is no explanation why I would get attack from a room I just cleared. The good news is they are not spawning guys because there is a set amount guarding the place, you will know this from your Don view.
  • 3)I am in Florida and the hits on my business are increasing 10 folds in New York New Dons are trying to take over. Now I am sending Made men (out of the 3 I currently have) over there to defend because the goons guarding aint crap. While I am running solo in Miami on missions some of which I need the expertise of a made man that's defending a front NY. He cant be pulled out until it is over and it can be a while.  I hope This is where the under Boss will be assisting me soon.
  • 4)The cops stars ramp up mad quick (Patch needed) for some petty ass crimes. I got call out by a witness for beating up a guy (side mission) while escaping my made men started shooting at a cop car that was giving chase. In no time I had 4 stars FBI and the entire Police force boxing me in.  littered the car with bullets, blown it up  injuring my made men and arresting me. I did not stand a chance. 
    When your Made men are injured they are out for 12hours.
  • 5)need to add the ability to role with goons when your valuable made men is indisposed Jail, hospital, prison. You may ask cant you hire another one? yes you can but will you If I just spent 30Gs upgrading them? to start over with someone new for another 30G's?

PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 03:37:49 PM

1)Pop in, pop ins, pop ins. Remember GTAIII  Cars here one second and gone the other

3)I am in Florida and the hits on my business are increasing 10 folds in New York New Dons are trying to take over. Now I am sending Made men (out of the 3 I currently have) over there to defend because the goons guarding aint crap. While I am running solo in Miami on missions some of which I need the expertise of a made man that's defending a front NY. He cant be pulled out until it is over and it can be a while.  I hope This is where the under Boss will be assisting me soon.

those were my two big worries.  the pop in issue has me leaning towards the PC version, since the PC didn't have the GTA pop in issue (or it was fixed at some point as when I played GTA3 last year there wasn't any pop in), and the need to worry about properties in various cities isn't too appealing.  IIRC the first Godfather game didn't have that unless you instigated a gang war.

Because I can,
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 03, 2009, 04:34:19 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 03:37:49 PM

1)Pop in, pop ins, pop ins. Remember GTAIII  Cars here one second and gone the other

3)I am in Florida and the hits on my business are increasing 10 folds in New York New Dons are trying to take over. Now I am sending Made men (out of the 3 I currently have) over there to defend because the goons guarding aint crap. While I am running solo in Miami on missions some of which I need the expertise of a made man that's defending a front NY. He cant be pulled out until it is over and it can be a while.  I hope This is where the under Boss will be assisting me soon.

those were my two big worries.  the pop in issue has me leaning towards the PC version, since the PC didn't have the GTA pop in issue (or it was fixed at some point as when I played GTA3 last year there wasn't any pop in), and the need to worry about properties in various cities isn't too appealing.  IIRC the first Godfather game didn't have that unless you instigated a gang war.

I dont understand why you think it will not be an issue with the PC versions...It coming out on the same day it may get fix before the actual launch day but I doubt it. Reason is yesterday when I first put it it there was already an update for the game.

Informational interviews
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/thegodfatherii/videos.html?mode=interviews
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:01:32 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 07:34:23 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 03, 2009, 02:32:00 AM

I heard that people are also getting Riddick at Gamestop today. Supposedly some games don't have official street dates, they are just available to sell when stores get them? Don't know if that is true or what happened here.

The GameStop in my area says they have Riddick in stock and is saying The Godfather 2 might be coming in tomorrow (a Saturday...). Wierd.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on April 03, 2009, 05:24:22 PM

I dont understand why you think it will not be an issue with the PC versions...It coming out on the same day it may get fix before the actual launch day but I doubt it. Reason is yesterday when I first put it it there was already an update for the game.

Oblivion 360 had pop in issues but the PC didn't, different architecture and all that jazz.  of course they could just not bother optimizing the PC version which could leave the pop in but we won't know until next week.

Because I can,
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

Would it really be that hard to have a PG-13 mode?  Come on.  It seems like a smart business decision.  Just put a few extra pixels on the girls and beep out the 4 letter words.

I'm not a prude and it doesn't bother me, but I can't spend our money on a game I can only play when my wife is gone.

Damn.

Go Gunners...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »

I see Owain has also scored an early copy  crybaby

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

If I was to get a copy of the original Godfather game, is the Wii version or the 360/PS3 one better?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 02:54:27 PM »

Ck will say Wii as the controls are supposed to be awesome.  I played the 360 version and loved it start to finish.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 04, 2009, 02:54:27 PM

Ck will say Wii as the controls are awesome.

there's just something visceral about using the wii-mote and nunchuk to pound an enemy into submission or toss around a shopkeeper.  plus there's nothing like coming home after an annoying day of work and using them to virtually choke a Tattaglia to death.

plus you can lock onto a target and use the wii-mote kinda like a light gun for easy aiming.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 04, 2009, 02:45:26 PM

If I was to get a copy of the original Godfather game, is the Wii version or the 360/PS3 one better?

It depends upon whether you want better visuals or better control. I tried to play the Xbox version a few times, but couldn't complete it. The Wii version grabbed me and I didn't' play any other games until I was don. In terms of visuals, even the Xbox version looked better than the Wii version. I haven't played or seen the 360 or PS3 versions, but I can imagine they're the best looking of the lot.

I'm going to hold off on getting GF2 for now in the far fetched hope that it might eventually make it to the Wii. I guess that's an indicator of how much more I enjoyed the Wii version.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 08:06:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 04, 2009, 02:24:40 PM

I see Owain has also scored an early copy  crybaby

Yeah.. it is nice to have a mom & pop type store around.  If it doesn't have a "Do not sell before" sticker on it they are selling it when they get it.

As for 360 version impressions.. It plays just like the first one for the most part.  The Don view does add another layer to the game and if abused can make the game way too easy and the game doesn't seem that difficult to begin with.  I don't think there are as many execution styles in the game but they are there, along with blackhand persuasion techniques.

I think one of my favorite new additions is the ability to hunt down other families made men and perform a hit on them and if you use the specified execution then they are gone permanently, which prevents the family from using them to take over businesses or defend with.

And while I realize it is the late 50s it would be nice if I could turn corners without having to powerslide because just like your made men say while in game... the cars handle like shopping carts.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: