http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:21:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Force Unleashed II  (Read 4242 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:18 AM »

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed2/

Loved it last year, can't wait for it next year.  I wonder what the story is going to be, all things considered.  Also since they fired like the whole team after going gold, that makes me a little uneasy.  More TFU is a good thing for me though!  Can't wait to see more!

Here's the VGA trailer from VE3D

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/59554/PC/Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed-Ultimate-Sith-Edition/Trailer/Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed-II-Spike-2009-Videogame-Awards-Trailer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:36:23 AM »

I'm actually hoping they've farmed it out to an external studio.  Lucasarts just doesn't know how to manage a game studio anymore.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »

I really enjoyed the first one so I'll probably pick this up.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 13, 2009, 06:36:23 AM

I'm actually hoping they've farmed it out to an external studio.  Lucasarts just doesn't know how to manage a game studio anymore.

They didn't, same team.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »

Considering how the first one ended that makes no sense....not to mention how powerful the protagonist is by the end of the game.

I expected a sequel but I figured it would follow the Sith/Jedi woman with the horns.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »

I hope they steal some ideas from Arkham Asylum. I played Force Unleashed after Arkham and I kept thinking how much easier it would be to beat sections as Batman instead of a Sith.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:25:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 13, 2009, 06:29:23 PM

They didn't, same team.

the same team they fired?   anyways, excitement level for this one is at zero, it'll probably end up a rental unless I hear the key words 'no more QTE's' and a couple of other things.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 01:11:15 AM »

So..... When's the Wii version due?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:13 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on December 14, 2009, 01:11:15 AM

So..... When's the Wii version due?

I would imagine at the same time, since it came out for about 10 consoles originally.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2009, 09:25:32 PM

They didn't, same team.

the same team they fired?   anyways, excitement level for this one is at zero, it'll probably end up a rental unless I hear the key words 'no more QTE's' and a couple of other things.

Where did you read that they fired the TFU team specifically?

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:06:04 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 14, 2009, 04:59:50 AM

They didn't, same team.

I was just going by what leo said.  if it's on the interweb it must be true!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 05:08:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2009, 05:06:04 AM

Quote from: Ridah on December 14, 2009, 04:59:50 AM

They didn't, same team.

I was just going by what leo said.  if it's on the interweb it must be true!

I don't have the article handy, but they let go of the team after it went gold.  I'll see if I can find something later.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 05:23:40 AM »

Loved the first.  Looking forward to the sequel.  Pissed myself a bit, loved the trailer, enjoyed what I've seen, can't wait to play the continuation. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 05:54:32 AM »

The PR rep for Lucasarts who hangs out on QT3 denied repeatedly that the team was fired, despite rumors to the contrary.  Reading between the lines I'm guessing maybe a portion of the team was let go. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 06:17:40 AM »

Here's some articles that say some of the team was let go:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/lucasarts-cuts-hit-force-unleashed-team-after-all/

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168454
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »

It's not the same team if most of the original people were let go.

Also, you can imagine how low morale they have there at the studio, and that will probably affect the product since it'll be on the same tight schedule.  Low morale + bad schedule usually equals a mediocre game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2009, 08:11:11 AM

It's not the same team if most of the original people were let go.

Also, you can imagine how low morale they have there at the studio, and that will probably affect the product since it'll be on the same tight schedule.  Low morale + bad schedule usually equals a mediocre game.

Well at least the engine and gameplay mechanics are already in place.  I think that makes developing a sequel require much less time.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »

Considering that layoffs after a project cycle completes are pretty much standard operating procedure in this business, I don't anticipate that impacting the production too much, really.

It's a pretty harsh industry to work in.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »

I've haven't played the first one, especially after I heard that later in the game almost everyone is some type of force immune...wtf  saywhat

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »

The layoffs at LucasArts were across the entire studio rather than any specific teams. I know people on the TFU team who are on the TFU2 team currently so it's hard to say what direction it's heading.

Sean Lama
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2009, 06:33:20 PM

I've haven't played the first one, especially after I heard that later in the game almost everyone is some type of force immune...wtf  saywhat

The force immune stuff is about 1/1000 of a big deal as the Internet made it out to be.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 14, 2009, 06:40:38 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2009, 06:33:20 PM

The force immune stuff is about 1/1000 of a big deal as the Internet made it out to be.

Some of it was frustrating, but certainly not game-killing.  I equate the online hate for Force Unleashed to the internet overreaction to the elevators in Mass Effect.  For most it wasn't an issue.  But for a vocal minority it was unbearable.  I enjoyed the storyline, the gameplay was a blast, the force powers were pretty spectacular, and the endings were worth experiencing.  Well, mainly the "dark" ending (and then restarting the game to experience the endgame outcome).  It was one of my most-enjoyed Star Wars games in a long while.  I'm looking forward to the sequel.  

Few things compared to pulling down TIE fighters and crushing AT-ST vehicles like tin cans.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:55:06 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »

They got the story down last time. Hopefully they can actually manage to make the game fun this time around, instead of a horribly unbalanced exercise in pain and frustration.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:40:44 AM by TiLT » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »

I really loved FU.  Didn't care for the ME elevators, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

I guess my problem with this is where can the story go? At the end of the game, Light or Dark, you were basically established at the most powerful force user ever. What obstacles are left for you to challenge or even compete with you?

I guess I'm just worried its going to be the oh-so-tired-and-annoying you magically lose all your powers and have to rebuild, only to fight the Emperor again. Still, the original was a great game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 02:26:57 AM »

I found the complaints about TFU even more baffling than the complaints about ME's elevators.  Did people want to be able to use the same few attacks and tactics on every enemy in the game?  The game remained interesting throughout because it forced you to use everything in your arsenal rather than rely on the same handful of powerful attacks.  The only problem I had with the first game was the poor targeting system.  You never knew what the game was going to auto-target, and much of the time, it refused to auto-target anything.  If they just fix that, I'll be happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:44:28 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 15, 2009, 02:26:57 AM

I found the complaints about TFU even more baffling than the complaints about ME's elevators.  

Okay, I'll mention a few of the things that ruined the game for me:

- Unbalanced, untested difficulty. It would bounce all over the place throughout the game, being easy at one point then almost impossibly difficult the next. I believe the second boss you meet is the most difficult by far (and bugged too).
- Bugs, bugs, bugs! All your attacks are unreliable, not only because of poor targeting, but also because the targeting is bugged in the first place. I came across situations that made the game impossible to win unless I restarted from the last save (important events wouldn't trigger, for example in boss fights).
- The targeting is screwed up. When your character suddenly turns 180 degrees and attacks something behind him (that you can't even see) instead of the enemy right in front of you, something is very, very wrong.
- Stun locks. Enemies would repeatedly, and through the entire game, knock you down with a charged attack and then start up the charge animation just as you hit the floor. These animations were timed (due to the lack of testing) so that they'd hit just as you got up, knocking you down on the floor again. I died several times because of this, and there was absolutely NOTHING I could do to stop it.
- Also, being knocked down for 5+ seconds at a time isn't fun and is in fact completely pointless in a SP game.
- Enemies that block lightsabers with their ARMS?
- Wonky, unpredictable movement. Jumping puzzles were extremely frustrating because I wasn't at all sure where I would land.
- Certain enemies that were obviously designed to be easy to take down, but who turned out to be some of the hardest enemies in the game thanks to a combination of all the factors above.
- Hit points on enemies? Really? It takes 3-4 swipes with a lightsaber to kill a stormtrooper, even at the beginning of the game? Why?

It's been a while since I played the game now, and I've been trying to forget it (except the story) ever since. I know there are plenty of things I left out of this list simply because I can barely recall them any more, and I'm thankful for it.

The most annoying thing about the game is that it was so close to being good. If they'd only actually TESTED the game before launching it, they could have gotten rid of almost all its problems in a matter of months.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:45:59 AM by TiLT » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 15, 2009, 05:44:28 AM

I found the complaints about TFU even more baffling than the complaints about ME's elevators.  

- Unbalanced, untested difficulty. It would bounce all over the place throughout the game, being easy at one point then almost impossibly difficult the next. I believe the second boss you meet is the most difficult by far (and bugged too).
- Bugs, bugs, bugs! All your attacks are unreliable, not only because of poor targeting, but also because the targeting is bugged in the first place. I came across situations that made the game impossible to win unless I restarted from the last save (important events wouldn't trigger, for example in boss fights).
- The targeting is screwed up. When your character suddenly turns 180 degrees and attacks something behind him (that you can't even see) instead of the enemy right in front of you, something is very, very wrong.
- Stun locks. Enemies would repeatedly, and through the entire game, knock you down with a charged attack and then start up the charge animation just as you hit the floor. These animations were timed (due to the lack of testing) so that they'd hit just as you got up, knocking you down on the floor again. I died several times because of this, and there was absolutely NOTHING I could do to stop it.
- Also, being knocked down for 5+ seconds at a time isn't fun and is in fact completely pointless in a SP game.
- Wonky, unpredictable movement. Jumping puzzles were extremely frustrating because I wasn't at all sure where I would land.
- Certain enemies that were obviously designed to be easy to take down, but who turned out to be some of the hardest enemies in the game thanks to a combination of all the factors above.
- Hit points on enemies? Really? It takes 3-4 swipes with a lightsaber to kill a stormtrooper, even at the beginning of the game? Why?

Other than the sloppy targetting, I didn't notice any of those things.  I thought it played great.  If you had all those problems, though, I can at least see where the complaints are coming from.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 15, 2009, 06:19:12 AM

Other than the sloppy targetting, I didn't notice any of those things.  I thought it played great.  If you had all those problems, though, I can at least see where the complaints are coming from.

+1

Also, I think there is a point to getting knocked down in an SP game, in general.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 15, 2009, 06:19:12 AM

+2.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 04:04:37 AM »

They got the story down last time. Hopefully they can actually manage to make the fun game this time around, instead of a horribly unbalanced exercise in pain and frustration.

put me in this boat.  the first time i blew out a glass window and a blast shield came down, i was thrilled.  about 30 minutes after this, however the magic was gone and i literally played through it only because i wanted to hear the story told.  i had very little fun.  i cant put my finger on why, but i just didnt
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »

Release date announced today for October 26, 2010!

IN IN IN!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »

Reminds me that I need to get around to playing this sometime.  Not big on action-y games in general, but this one looks like it could be fun.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »

Picked up the original last night and played through most of the first two missions.  So far, I'm pretty underwhelmed.  The combat is fine, I suppose, but the puzzles all just seem kinda lame and the areas are quite dull (you have the entire Star Wars universe to choose from, and you drop me in the middle of a junkyard?)  Hoping it gets a little more interesting.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2010, 12:55:04 PM

Picked up the original last night and played through most of the first two missions.  So far, I'm pretty underwhelmed.  The combat is fine, I suppose, but the puzzles all just seem kinda lame and the areas are quite dull (you have the entire Star Wars universe to choose from, and you drop me in the middle of a junkyard?)  Hoping it gets a little more interesting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
it doesn't

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »

Woot!  Nice artwork!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »

I'm confused.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Isn't he dead? And if he is magically resurrected, won't they just have to kill him again? Actually, I didn't play the DLC - who did you play in those levels?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:17 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 09, 2010, 02:55:44 AM

I'm confused.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Isn't he dead? And if he is magically resurrected, won't they just have to kill him again? Actually, I didn't play the DLC - who did you play in those levels?

If you really want to know

Spoiler for Hiden:
He's a clone.  That's supposed to be part of the storyline in this sequel.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 09, 2010, 03:00:17 AM

Quote from: Teggy on June 09, 2010, 02:55:44 AM

I'm confused.
Spoiler for Hiden:

If you really want to know

Spoiler for Hiden:
He's a clone.  That's supposed to be part of the storyline in this sequel.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well at least that sort of fits the source material.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2010, 12:55:04 PM

I thought it was interesting from start to finish, but that's just me.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: