http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:49:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fall: Last Days of Gaia (best party based RPG you've never heard of!)  (Read 1650 times)
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »

In response to Enigma's question in another thread I though I would start a thread dedicated to the Fall.

Where I got it
http://www.1advd.ch/DefaultG.asp?idlnk=4130034

I've created a walkthrough for the game, it needs a little updating. I just moved onto other games before i finished the walkthrough as much as I wanted to detail in it smile Walkthrough does include the fan based English mod, so you can have english subtitles

http://home.comcast.net/~taskforcecommand/The%20Fall%20FAQ.doc

My little mini snap shot review of it

If you ever played Soldiers of Anarchy, the Fall is made by the same developer, and feels very similiar. However the game is much more about roleplaying and character development, than straight tactical strategy title. Think Soldiers of Anarchy meets Fallout and you get the basic idea. If you've never played Soldiers of Anarchy , I guess think Jagged Alliance light with 3D, meets Fallout theme

The setting is very Fallout esque. Set in a post apoclyptic setting no civilization to speak of, and a few remaining communities barely hanging on. After you home town is burned to the ground you wander into a town that's building a reputation as re-establishing law and order in the wild lands. You quickly get recruited to restoring order in the area and soon find yourself leading a team of 5 other soldiers to restore peace, while making peace with what happend to your parents and finding what remains of your familiy in this wild frontier. I really enjoyed this one once I got into it.

Downside, is that they never made (and will never release) an english version, so I had to buy the german release and install the fan made english mod.  Problem is you have to deal with german speaking with english subtitles. It took about 3 re-tries till I got into it, around the time I was about a hour in...and finally got hooked by the story and otherwise great title.

The game has just a few lowlights. A few non criticial bugs, and some rare poor translations,  but otherwise play is rock solid. The combat despite a wide array of skills, and weapons, mods, ect, is pretty straight forward and requires pretty straight forward tactical strategies. However, considering the dearth of party based RPGs I really enjoyed this one! You can customize how you look, your skills and stats, and your party and who's in it. Fairly open ended play (sort of like NWN2 with new areas opening up as you go but find yourself hitting the old areas as well for your tasks).

The Fall really does feel like a living breathing world, much more so than Obilvion or Morrowind for instance. You find yourself talking to just about every NPC to find out if there are quests they can give you, even if they dont have a quest they each have their own stories and their repsonses and comments change depend on time of day and of course quest status or choices you made.

People go about their daily lives as you adventure. The game models, passage of time and day and night. So you'll see people cycle  through work, play, sleep, and sometimes their stories change depending on the time of day! Talk about a roleplaying game!

I love/hate that I feel compelled to look for loot in each new area. I've find the occasional very cool item, and a of course a whole lot of cheap junk, and just about anything can have items you can salvage, wreaks, barrels, crates, tables, junk piles, and the building interiors and maps are littered with a mountain of things to search.

You can also hunt deer, wolves, look for water, and scavange folage from the land as you explore. This game is huge! I'm not even mentioning stats, abilities, weapons combining, vast arsenal of weapons, time dependent events and quests, and on and on. smile

I really enjoyed this one, and I think just a tad more satisfying that no one else really knows about it. smile Or willing to deal with having to order a game overseas and play it with subtitles. For me though, it was so worth it smile

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:44:32 AM by davidf » Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »

We heard about this one a while back, the word was it was a buggy mess for the euro release, which caused everyone to lose interest for the US release.

If they've fixed things up I'm interested.
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »

Well the special addition version isnt quite bug free, but its definetly more stable than most US releases.

I found no game stopping bugs, maybe 1 crash to deskop and no lockups on my system. The fan mad english mod was also quite good! The text only occasionally read akward, they should hire this guy to do movIe translations smile
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »

I know the title makes it sound like I'm calling it game of the year. Its not, it won't keep your feet warm at night, it wont save you money on car insurance. Its got a few bugs. You'll have to deal with ordering a overseas copy. You have to install the fan mod to even translate the interface from german! The combat is pretty shallow despite the rather immese detail of the game. Its not the best in genre, but considering the dearth of ANY party based rpgs (let alone good ones) over the last several years this game was a suprisingly freash breath of air, and I welcomed it greedly onto my hard drive! smile Played it twice, and considering the scheduled future of detailed and immersive games, want to and probably will play it a few more times. smile

Note: A frame of refrence, when I say detailed I don't mean pretty graphics. I mean a game with depth, layers,  and options. Not MOO3 layers, but XCom, Pirates, Freedom Force, TW series, Rise of Nations layers. Plenty of diffirent ways to tackle challanges and no ONE way to win. The more linear or on rails it feels, the more uninsterested i am.
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »

This is Starforced, I believe. Nuff said.  It's not worth putting that garbage on anyone's system.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »

Quote from: Darkstar One on December 15, 2007, 09:50:25 PM

This is Starforced, I believe. Nuff said.  It's not worth putting that garbage on anyone's system.

Ugh, two games that I am reviewing have Starforce on them...SCREW THAT STUFF...When will they learn frown

davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:20:24 PM »

Actually the duluxe version is NOT starforced! Look it up on anti starforce sites, and not enabled on my system to confirm. The standard version did have Starforce though, and the game was barely able to run as well from what I hear... frown
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:22:12 PM by davidf » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 05:57:26 AM »

I thought this thread seemed familiar . . .

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=37556&highlight=Fall+gaia

Draw your own conclusions.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 04:21:06 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on December 16, 2007, 05:57:26 AM

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=37556&highlight=Fall+gaia

Sarkus its pretty clear to me you not posting the thread for additional information on the game. So I'm left to think its a dig on me personally. Draw your own conclusions? You mean that I loved the game enough that I would start its own thread when someone asked about it in another thread http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,23989.0.html
or that I'm somehow a marketer from the publisher of a 3 year old game, not sold in the us, and that the developer and publsiher have both clearly opted to ignore the us market all together?

I've known Tom Chick since we used to do reviews for gamesdomain together. We both worked for Strategy Games plus (Computer Gaming Magizine) with Scott Udell and Peter Smith for a good bit of time, and even met a few times at E3. As a result I was very interested when he started his own site (quartertothree), and was a lurker and occasional poster on the forums for years.

Then I post information on a few games that are sailing under the radar and then some jackasses at the site think Im some sort of marketeer. Never occured to anyone that I just really liked a certain catagory of games that there has been a dearth of over the last few years, so better insult me and call my opinions irrelevant! Thanks

Even though, the insults have died down and still occasionaly post there, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Geo and I used to hang out in another forum (actually run by SG+ Peter Smith) as well and he mentioned this one might be a good fit. Pete's forum was fun for years but it has grown increaing console centric. Which I hate, mainly because I hate the controls, I just really like my mouse and keyboard. So i considering transplanting here due to conditions at my 2 previous primary forums (one hostile, other console centric).

On a side note: I am getting a 360 for christmas sadly, just because I can't stand not getting to play a bioware RPG (Mass Effect)  for the next unknown years till they make it on the pc. Damn you Mass Efect for making me cave and get another console!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:05:52 PM by davidf » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »

This sounds like a game that would be perfect for me.  I think I'll get it if installing the English mod isn't a pain in the ass.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on December 16, 2007, 05:57:26 AM

Maybe we should start a thread re cross posting but I cross post to three forums - OO/QT3 and here - ohhh and of course BC, does that make me bad  icon_lol

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 08:01:57 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 16, 2007, 05:57:47 PM

This sounds like a game that would be perfect for me.  I think I'll get it if installing the English mod isn't a pain in the ass.

I personally didnt have any problems with it, even still I list a step by step install guide in the FAQ i created, just in case, as it is in German. I frankly had a harder time ordering the game overseas. Also I can't seem to get 1advd to bloody stop sending me marketing blubs in german. However, otherwise it was pretty smooth, just make sure you get the deluxe version, I heard the older releases are seriously bugged and not sure the fan mod works on them
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 10:49:57 PM »

Just found a site for another game in development in the Fallout vein...

http://www.afterfall.pl/index/en/show/455

I keep an eye on this one. The game engine looks dated, but still way better than UFO Extraterrestrials from the looks of it, which is always a good thing smile Not a lot of detail on specific on play style, but it sounds like a left from fallout where you only direct control your primary toon frown The depth looks promising however. I watchful eye, to see if it ever matures into a actual purchasable product
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 12:02:14 AM »

Quote from: davidf on December 16, 2007, 04:21:06 PM

Sarkus its pretty clear to me you not posting the thread for additional information on the game. So I'm left to think its a dig on me personally. Draw your own conclusions? You mean that I loved the game enough that I would start its own thread when someone asked about it in another thread http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,23989.0.html
or that I'm somehow a marketer from the publisher of a 3 year old game, not sold in the us, and that the developer and publsiher have both clearly opted to ignore the us market all together?

I said "draw your own conclusions" because there is something a little odd about you popping up on these two sites, with no posting history at the time, and advocating a game where you specifically point to a site to buy it.  Does that make you a marketer?  Hell if I know, I just think it's odd.  Other people pimp games they like, but they usually wait until they have some history, and they rarely provide "buy" links.  I realize that you were asked about where to buy, but you could have answered in that thread (which you also started and which hasn't gone anywhere since).

There's a difference between posting in an existing thread that you like a game that may have been overlooked, and including a few sentences about why, versus feeling the need to start a new thread about it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:22:49 AM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 02:05:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with davidf's posts either here or at QT3.  Trying to insinuate that he's a VM seems a bit extreme.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:45 AM »

Ah, I see you're in the Pacific Northwest - same here!  That's always nice on this forum biggrin

The game looks pretty interesting and would most likely run on my aging system.  I'm going to definitely look into it, thanks!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 02:29:43 AM »

Quote from: davidf on December 17, 2007, 01:29:20 AM

Sarkus, i tried to follow up and explain where I was coming from so there would be no misconceptions about my reasons for posting and why I'm here. So you decide to follow up your post with more veiled personal stabs at me? Way to welcome someone dude! I really hope you get what you deserve this christmas, firmly up where you most assuredly deserve it...

The only point of my original post was to let people make their own decision on the VM issue.  I was very surprised to see a post here that was almost identical to what I remembered seeing posted over at QT3 just a few months ago, seemingly out of nowhere.  It made me suspicious when I looked up the topic over there and saw the same name attached.

That said, I don't want this to become a personal flame war and will gladly apologize for touching a nerve. 

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »

I don't post in a thread and this wacky shit happens? Come on people, I don't have unlimited time!
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »

Thanks davidf...I actually purchased this gave, the extended version,  off Ebay many, many months ago.

I totally forgot that I even bought this game until I read this thread. Because of this thread I installled it last night and applied the English mod. Excellent stuff!!!
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 17, 2007, 02:10:45 AM

Ah, I see you're in the Pacific Northwest - same here!  That's always nice on this forum biggrin

The game looks pretty interesting and would most likely run on my aging system.  I'm going to definitely look into it, thanks!

Ha smile Came back here after living awhile in cali, glad to be back, really!

Goonch, i hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Considering the dearth of party based RPGs, im still really pissed that this one never got (or will get) released in the US! Instead we get cr@p like Jagged Union, where its just a mess.buggy, and the translation is far worse than The Fall! Jrpgs never appealed to me since they are to often too cartoonish. I prefer the more realistic feeling rpg style, though I did enjoy Odium and Incubation despite the abstracting of strategy.
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on December 17, 2007, 02:29:43 AM

That said, I don't want this to become a personal flame war and will gladly apologize for touching a nerve. 

Your reconciliatory gesture is noted for what it was. In the interest of peace. and goodwill in this holiday season I will delete the prior post to you. I should have taken it offline anyway.

Returning you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:17:32 PM by davidf » Logged
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 07:35:02 PM »

though I did enjoy Odium and Incubation despite the abstracting of strategy.

WOW! blast from the past and two very good games - especially incubation

i always thought that was a great game regardless of anyones genre preference though in hindsight maybe it was a bit niche
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: