http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eye of Judgment out Oct 24 - card-based game (think Magic) for the PS3  (Read 15020 times)
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2007, 12:16:12 AM »

Hey guy's I'm thinking about buying some card sleeves to protect my cards any suggestions as to what brand will work and where to guy?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2007, 04:55:04 AM »

I finally found a copy of this at Best Buy tonight.  My son and I then went over to Gamestop and bought a couple of theme decks and a few boosters. I played 4 games with the starter deck against the AI. I lost 2 and won 2. All I can say is what a great game. My son and I had a blast. We will probably try a game against each other tomorrow now that we have a basic understanding of the rules.  Another few games and I may be ready to jump online.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2007, 05:59:50 AM »

Picked up some boosters, turns out there's a local gamestop that hasn't been looted by hungry EoJ fans.  Most of the other gamestops I checked they all mention that a someone was buying all their boosters.

Anyway, I managed to nab two Aegis citadels which work extremely well with my Biolith deck.  Basically the Aegis makes all creatures of the same element that the citadel is summoned on Invisible, which means those creatures cannot be attacked by physical or even magical attacks.  Nasty.  But the citadel costs, I think 5 mana, can't attack, and has low health.

For those having PSN disconnect issues, go into your network settings and turn off the "Connect to media server" or similarly named option.  That seems to have fixed my PSN disconnects.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »

Really stupid, but simple question about building decks... How exactly does it work? Do you just flash the card to the eye, and then it'll store it as a digital card? What, if you want two of those cards in the "digital deck", do you physically have to flash two, or once you've flashed one, can you use as many instances of it as possible?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2007, 06:33:06 AM »

You lay the cards out in front of the camera, I think it recognizes 5 at a time in that mode.  If you have multiples of a card, you have to place down all the multiples of that card at the same time.  This is how it confirms that you have multiples of the same card.

It's really fast and simple to do.  Once you have the cards registered in EoJ they're stored and can be used to build new decks for use online.

The absolute best thing about this game is the online play.  As a card/board gamer, my biggest problem was finding people to play with.  Now, I can jump online and play with practically anyone at any time.  To top it off, this isn't a real-time game, so there's no worry about latency which means a bigger pool of players.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2007, 06:35:23 AM »

Picked up the Wood theme deck today when I went to get Ratchet and Clank.  Has a few of the cards that are in the starter, but then has a bunch of new ones.  I will have to give it a go tomorrow.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »

Where does one go (internet link) to find out all the decks available at this point in time?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 03, 2007, 10:20:47 AM

Where does one go (internet link) to find out all the decks available at this point in time?

There is currently five theme decks out right now.

Fire
Wood
Biolith
Water
Earth

Try this link for more info.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=eyeofjudgment&thread.id=49
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:25:47 PM by pingwrx » Logged

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

I finally found a copy last night at Gamestop.  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »

Yeah, mine should be arriving at the household early next week, so I'm looking to doodle with it as well. Already bought a few booster packs.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »

Done with my work week, looking forward to getting alot of playtime in this week.   Gonna try to get some boosters this week too.  Might get online some as well and see how bad i really suck smile

Have a question too about creating decks to register for online play.   I messed around with it for a bit but got confused.   How exactly do you create decks?   I saw several options but it was a bit confusing.   Can someone walk me through the steps?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »

You can create a deck with cards already registered with the eye, or create a new deck using just the eye.

Create a new deck and choose "edit with eye"  then lay out the cards from your deck in view of your camera.  When you have multiples of the same card, you'll have to place down all multiples of that card at the same time.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »

The lighting requirement is really starting to get to me.  I have no overhead lighting in the living room.  All I have are lamps which provide no real light during the day.  I have my blinds open and this thing still can't read the cards.  Honestly, I am not sure if even having an overhead light would help since the daytime light is going to minimize its impact.  I guess maybe I have to go in and adjust the settings differently then I have used them when I play at night.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2007, 09:07:13 PM »

Just so you guys know, I'm trying to work with someone from Hasbro about getting the theme decks and let you know what cards are in them and how they play.  They aren't the fastest to respond, but I thought I would ask since I'm sure you guys would be interested in that.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 06, 2007, 08:41:26 PM

The lighting requirement is really starting to get to me.  I have no overhead lighting in the living room.  All I have are lamps which provide no real light during the day.  I have my blinds open and this thing still can't read the cards.  Honestly, I am not sure if even having an overhead light would help since the daytime light is going to minimize its impact.  I guess maybe I have to go in and adjust the settings differently then I have used them when I play at night.

Hey Grue try changing you camera setting to warm and dark lots of people that have been having problems with it reading are reporting this helped them.
Also anybody else still looking for this game I saw a bunch when I went to Fry's today.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2007, 11:51:41 PM »

I've created a fantastic deck...

Of course, I will be getting a few boosters tonight because hey, why not?  Tongue

I'm playing a lot of German's online, for whatever reason. 

The number of custom games keeps growing, so it looks like the game is still selling.  This is fantastic news, because Eye of Judgment is so damn addictive and deserves sales...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2007, 01:40:30 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on November 06, 2007, 10:55:51 PM

Hey Grue try changing you camera setting to warm and dark lots of people that have been having problems with it reading are reporting this helped them.

Yeah, my stuff is already set to that.  Didn't seem to work well during the day, though.  Now that the son has gone down it works fine again.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2007, 02:44:38 AM »

First let me say that this is by far and away my GOTY.....period.   The wife and i are playing nightly and we still love it.   I've picked up several booster packs and have some nice cards i really like.   Haven't played online yet, mainly because i'm too lazy to register a deck.   Bottom line, this game rocks......bigtime!!

However, i have started to have some issue with the camera.   Just tonight we had to quit a close match because the camera lost connection and we just couldn't get it resynced.    Not really sure what the issue is either.   We haven't changed any lightning where i've got it programmed or anything.   What i'm thinking is that the cloth mat is bunching up and with the slightest touch it moves it enough to screw with the calibration.   Think we are gonna iron it and keep it somewhere where it doesn't have to be folded up again.   Very frustrating when you lose sync in the middle of a match.

Regardless, huge thumbs up for this game!!   

depward

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »

TML and I opened up some boosters, got some good cards (got a Biolith god, that was nice...), and played a bit last night.  Every time I play I'm reminded just how incredibly cool and "different" of a gaming experience this is.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »

Well, note entirely different, but it's new for a console and card games in general.  Just being able to play online is a huge boon for this game that'll keep it alive for a long time.

I wonder if I can somehow get this played and carried in my local hobby/game store.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »

Did a little experimenting with the camera and light today and I have come to the conclusion that with my current lighting situation, this game is unplayable for me during the day.  I tried various combinations of camera settings, light with the only lamp I have in the area, and opening and closing the blinds.  The only way I can get all 9 squares of cards recognized is to play at night with a lamp on.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2007, 07:38:49 PM »

Ack, sorry to hear that, Grue.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2007, 09:02:32 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 07, 2007, 06:26:45 PM

Did a little experimenting with the camera and light today and I have come to the conclusion that with my current lighting situation, this game is unplayable for me during the day.  I tried various combinations of camera settings, light with the only lamp I have in the area, and opening and closing the blinds.  The only way I can get all 9 squares of cards recognized is to play at night with a lamp on.
Really dumb question, but did you try moving the camera to a different position on the board?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »

So, with the booster packs I opened, I was amazed at all the sweet cards I got and promptly re-organized my deck.  I then went on to get killed against the computer and whooped online.  Looking at all deck I realized I had waaay too many higher mana-costing cards.  The 1 and 2 mana cards are so VITAL.  Some of my favorite:

(1) Hellfire Spitter.  Yeah, I know...but Quickness is nice to have and it can attack in any direction without rotation.
(1) Verzar Canine. 1/1, yes, but it gives allied creatures on adjacent fields +1 protection.
(2) Partmole Flame Lizard.  2/2, Quickness, and it only costs 1 mana to attack again.  A blindspot is a small price to pay...
(2) Elven Berserker Maiden.  Having 3 life (5 on a forest field) is nice, she can attack across the field and when she has 1 HP, she adds 2 to her attack and gains a dodge attempt.  Place her on an earth field and you've got a creature capable of 3 damage with a dodge attempt.
(2) Skeleton Soldier.  Really glad I got this common card (finally!) last night.  Health of 2 is nice, the ability to attack in two spots is nice as well.  The great thing is that when destroyed, you gain 1 additional mana, paying off the cost of summoning the creature.

And of course...

(1) White Cubic.  If not just for it's "ooooh shiiiiiit" factor that usually messes up your opponent's strategy, if you're low on mana and don't have the luxury of having a biolith field open to summon your last creature, the White Cubic is a safe creature.  I know that I've been in the situation with only 2 mana to use, only one creature that I can summon and HOPING that my opponent keeps a particular field open to win...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2007, 11:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 07, 2007, 09:02:32 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 07, 2007, 06:26:45 PM

Really dumb question, but did you try moving the camera to a different position on the board?

Yeah, I have it in the position that works best when I play at night.  The lamp sits to the left and so I put the camera on the top.  This also makes sense for the day time, because the only source of light is from a window to the left.  I guess I could try it to the right and see if it improves any since it would be then directly facing the light.  That is not a good position for when my son plays with me, though.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »

I thought you could only summon creatues in squares adjacent to your existing creatures.  But I have seen the computer get around that restriction somehow.  Is there a rule I missed?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 09, 2007, 03:58:01 PM

I thought you could only summon creatues in squares adjacent to your existing creatures.  But I have seen the computer get around that restriction somehow.  Is there a rule I missed?

I don't think it is just adjacent to yours, but adjacent to anyone's creatures.  Are they doing it to a square where there is absolutely no creature and it is not the first turns?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »

Yeah, first turn you can place a creature anywhere.  After that, you can place creatures adjacent to your creatures or the other player's creatures.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2007, 04:35:47 PM »

The video states that if you have no creatures currently on the board, you can summon anywhere.  Not sure if that's still true though, but it's not just your first turn.

Remember that when summoning, you can still consider spaces next to enemy units with no attack zone there as pretty safe, or at least a trade off.  In order to kill whatever you have there, he has to spend to turn, then spend to attack, which is costly either way.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:37:19 PM by Turtle » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 09, 2007, 04:27:09 PM

After that, you can place creatures adjacent to your creatures or the other player's creatures.

Ahh that makes sense.  Thanks.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2007, 11:56:11 PM »

Update 1.01 live November 11th, 2007 (Sunday) at 10:00pm.

- Main revised functions (no idea what this means)
- Reinforcement of COM AI in Battle Arena Mode (no clue)
- Optimization of network connection for Online Mode (never had a problem playing online in my 30 online battles thus far)

There you have it!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2007, 12:29:57 AM »

Quick question.
Hopefully I'll get this up and running tonight, but in additon to the starter deck and 2 boosters, should I grab a couple of other booster packs right away, as they the store has 3 left.
Also, does the starter set have cards from different themes in it? If so, how do you build a deck with it?
Is the best thing to do is just pick a theme and build on it? The store has them decks. Should I get any of those?
I'm pretty new to CCG, so I dont want to spend money for cards I cant use.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2007, 01:14:33 AM »

Theme decks do a pretty good job of covering the basics while not repeating cards too much.  My biolith deck was very different from my starter deck.

Boosters will tend to net you a lot of commons you've seen before, but they're still useful since commons are what help you win at this game.  The big thing with boosters are the high end uncommon, rare, and ultra-rare cards you can get in each pack that you don't see in any of the decks.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 10, 2007, 01:22:54 AM »

DAMN!

Had an EPIC game, where I was in check starting from about turn 15...I then proceeded to NOT DIE.  It is now turn 41, I have ZERO cards left to draw and I PUT HIM IN CHECK AND HE HAS NOTHING TO PLAY!!!

You lose when you have nothing to draw frown

Man oh man oh man.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 10, 2007, 01:56:46 AM »

In the 15 minutes it took for me to get to the store, some jerk bought the boosters. mad
Phone first my ass crybaby
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2007, 07:37:10 AM »

So far I've just played against the computer on normal, and am starting to slowly get the stats in my favor for the wins. Now I just have to get over the problem where I realize my mistake AFTER I just slapped the card down. And of course the occasional "Derp, let me put this wood creature here on the earth grid, and watch it die instantly" moment needs to go away too. Other than that, I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

My deck still needs a lot of finetuning, though. And I am loving the game.

Edited to add ---

Quick question, do you need the physical cards when you're playing on-line? I'm trying to figure out what the point is for me to make a digital deck, if I'm still going to be using the physical cards to play with them.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »

You register a deck with the system, and the system draws your cards for you, but you still have to place them down in front of the camera.

My friend and I are tweaking a biolith deck.  I let him borrow my PS3 over the weekdays so I'm not distracted from my enormous animation workload, and he's been building a deck based on the biolith deck.  The deck is deadly, but the way he tweaked it it's even more reliant on high cost, summon locked biolith cards, without enough mana generators and damage dealers.  I'm going to have to tweak it again after playing many games online.  I only won two games out of 7 or so, one because my opponent wasn't any good (saved up 7 mana, and I used a Mesmer's Lapse with an Ourboros Dragon discard to sap all 7 of that mana).

In another game where I lost I had a funny situation where everyone was missing things that had dodges.  First turn of the game I place a white cubic, and it dodges an attack from his hellfire spitter.  Then I place a water monk next to the cubic which gives the cubic two dodge saves and it just keeps dodging.  Every turn of the game he's wasting 1 mana on trying to kill the cubic.  Unfortunately, other than that move, all my other draws are poor, in fact, all I get are spells for 5 turns, no creatures, which causes me to lose when he finally gets a magic attack out to kill my cubic.

The second win, my last of the night, was against the 113th player, I got a good starting hand of numerous level 1 creatures, which he wiped the floor with and I slowly gained mana.  Then I hit him with a taurus monolith, groundbreaker to reveal somemore biolith tiles, and a bomber.  He was doing okay with a Dungeon fortress that gives 1 mana a turn, a Queen's slave creature, the one with perfect dodge and magical attacks, a catapult, and plenty of mana.  However, I had my ace in the hole, I put down an Aegis Citadel on a biolith tile in a spot with no spaces nearby, making my entire biolith army invulnerable.  However, I didn't have enough mana next turn (4) to place my last creature in hand, the Dragoon (5 cost).  There were only two spots left, a biolith, and a fire.  He took the biolith, as per the usual tactic, in case I only had a creature of Water to place, and whadda ya know I drew a Triton warrior, a water creature with the last tile being fire.  Ugh.  I thought it was over since we were both checked, but I realized I had my Taurus monolith lined up to kill off 2 of his creatures, opening up a spot for my triton and managed to eke out a win.  He had plenty of mana, but didn't want to waste the effort to kill my high health biolith stuff.

I'm going to add back in the freedonian wanderers for some extra mana generation and threat drawing (people really want to kill mana generating creatures quickly).  I'm not sure about keeping the two biolith groundbreakers.  I'm definitely switching out some of the spells creatures so I have some more hard hitting, non summon locked 3-4 cost creatures, to give me some hitting power outside of all the summon locked 3-5 cost creatures with low damage and odd attack patterns.  For some reason there's elf archers in this deck, I'll switch those out with something that better supports my bioliths, maybe beguiling fogs.  The key here is I have to watch how much mana is being used up in this deck.  I have to rely on my bioliths to do the damage and effects, not costly spells.  I'm really not sure about there being 3 Mesmer Errands either (1 mana, draw 2 cards) while useful to get the card you want, it uses mana, takes up space, and I'd rather have more creatures or other directly useful draws.  I'll probably keep 1, and replace the other two with creatures.

By the way, if anyone needs help building a deck, why not post what your current decks that you want help on, along with what you have in general so we can help you?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2007, 03:56:44 PM »

Anyone still playing this? I just got it as an early gift from a good friend today.  I guess I better start adding some GTers to my PSN ID List.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
depward

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2007, 04:48:44 PM »

YUP TML and I are indeed still playing on a fairly regular basis...

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2007, 01:34:14 AM »

I still play it all the time I think I'll be having a cards give away after christmas too because I know my wife bought me a booster box for christmas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 01:36:07 AM by pingwrx » Logged

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: