http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eye of Judgment out Oct 24 - card-based game (think Magic) for the PS3  (Read 15386 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »

Since I've already got massive wood for the game, it would only be fitting that I align myself with the faction biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2007, 08:58:04 PM »

I read through the manual and it does leave alot of questions unanswered.

How does mana acquisition work?  Does the amount of mana you get increase each turn?  And does it carry over from turn to turn?  Given that you receive a mana point as your creature is eliminated I'm guessing that it does.

I'm a little skeptical about the way combat seems to be initiated.  It looks like creatures automatically attack adjacent squares as they are summoned.  I'm not sure I like that mechanic.

The summoning "lock" feature seems like a way to keep power creatures from getting out there too early.  Which is pretty interesting.  But it could leave you very bogged down if you get a bad draw early in the game. 

Only 110 cards with 20 on them being "ultra rare" and and 25 being "rare" makes me wonder about card balancing.  41% of the set being rare and above seem really weird.  I think you will see alot of the same deck once people separate the power cards from the chaff.

It does look like an interesting concept.  I'm just not sure it's a concept based on a sound card game.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 09:06:44 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

Mana acquisition - you get two per turn.  It does carry over.  Some cards give you mana ( I believe...).  Your monsters that go to the graveyard give you mana.

Creatures do not have to attack when you first summon them.  You do get a free attack though when you place them (i.e. you don't have to pay the mana required to attack on top of the mana required to summon).  That's why you see a lot of people summoning then attacking, essentially, for free.

The card thing - I'll agree with you there.  As time progresses, we'll start seeing cards that people are using more often compared to others.  Expansion pack will hit 4 - 6 months (forgot who said this, but apparently it's confirmed?) which will bolster up the # of cards.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 02:04:29 AM »

Review complete - 80% from me.  It'll go up tomorrow. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 02:10:22 AM »

Very cool, looking forward to reading your thoughts.  Four reviews = 78%, which seems on par, via GameRankings.com.  Game Revolution gave it a "B-", which they scored a 75%.  Sort of weird, because when I was in school, a B- was 80-82%, but whatever.

I'll stop nitpicking biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 02:11:56 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2007, 02:04:29 AM

I suppose I can wait.. but did you try a USB Extender with the Playstation Eye?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 02:46:29 AM »

There's no reason why it wouldn't work unless the cable itself was faulty.  The PS3 follows the normal USB 2.0 spec.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 03:34:04 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 21, 2007, 08:58:04 PM

How does mana acquisition work?  Does the amount of mana you get increase each turn?  And does it carry over from turn to turn?  Given that you receive a mana point as your creature is eliminated I'm guessing that it does.

I'm a little skeptical about the way combat seems to be initiated.  It looks like creatures automatically attack adjacent squares as they are summoned.  I'm not sure I like that mechanic.

The summoning "lock" feature seems like a way to keep power creatures from getting out there too early.  Which is pretty interesting.  But it could leave you very bogged down if you get a bad draw early in the game. 

Only 110 cards with 20 on them being "ultra rare" and and 25 being "rare" makes me wonder about card balancing.  41% of the set being rare and above seem really weird.  I think you will see alot of the same deck once people separate the power cards from the chaff.

It does look like an interesting concept.  I'm just not sure it's a concept based on a sound card game.

That percentage of rares isn't really that out of the ordinary compared to most of the popular ccg
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 03:44:35 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 22, 2007, 03:34:04 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 21, 2007, 08:58:04 PM

That percentage of rares isn't really that out of the ordinary compared to most of the popular ccg

The only two I am familiar with are MtG and MEtW.  And neither of them are even close to 41% rares in their basic sets.  I am assuming you would get 1 rare/ultra rare in each booster pack.  If that's the case and you get the standard 15 cards you will be getting a boatload of doubles before you complete the set.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:46:53 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:46 AM »

Sony should have partnered up with Fantasy Flight Games to make a card/board game for use with the Eye.  Or at least that should be the next logical step for them if they want to make inroads to the US and European market.  Boardgames are still big in Europe, and in the US the only problem with boardgames is finding players.  If they add online play and bookkeeping via the Eye, a whole lot of people will be interested.

And it'd also get back some of the crowd that went over to the 360 since the live arcade has Catan and Carcassone.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:23:49 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 04:36:21 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 22, 2007, 04:16:46 AM

Sony should have partnered up with Fantasy Flight Games to make a card/board game for use with the Eye.  Or at least that should be the next logical step for them if they want to make inroads to the US and European market.  Boardgames are still big in Europe, and in the US the only problem with boardgames is finding players.  If they add online play and bookkeeping via the Eye, a whole lot of people will be interested.

And it'd also get back some of the crowd that went over to the 360 since the live arcade has Catan and Carcassone.

seeing as MS already has the camera they should start making better use of it.  Imagine Magic the Gathering with the Vision cam.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2007, 04:36:21 AM

seeing as MS already has the camera they should start making better use of it.  Imagine Magic the Gathering with the Vision cam.....

Yeah, it would be just like playing Magic over a web cam! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41:31 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 22, 2007, 02:11:56 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2007, 02:04:29 AM

I suppose I can wait.. but did you try a USB Extender with the Playstation Eye?

Yep and it worked fine. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 02:51:34 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 22, 2007, 07:04:58 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2007, 04:36:21 AM

Yeah, it would be just like playing Magic over a web cam! smile

but with 3D monsters and spell effects!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 03:38:57 PM »

Ars technica hands-on impressions (full review to come this week apparently...): http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/10/18/eye-of-judgment-has-arrived-our-first-impressions

Couple of highlights:

Even in the moderate lighting conditions of my living room in the afternoon, the camera had no problem picking up the cards.

I then put together a deck for online play; and after reading the cards and trying to understand what each one did, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a process that could take you hours... there is a lot of strategy to consider. Actually getting the game to recognize your deck for online play—you have to "register it" with the system so you can't cheat—was a snap. You can lay down multiple cards at once and it puts them into the virtual deck almost faster than I could lay them down. It took me around three minutes to create the deck once I had picked my cards.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 22, 2007, 03:44:35 AM

The only two I am familiar with are MtG and MEtW.  And neither of them are even close to 41% rares in their basic sets.  I am assuming you would get 1 rare/ultra rare in each booster pack.  If that's the case and you get the standard 15 cards you will be getting a boatload of doubles before you complete the set.

It would be interesting if it wasn't inline with other TCGs, since they partnered with Wizards of the Coast to do the cards.  You would think they would have consulted them about card distribution.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »

And my review is up -

http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=919

I rushed this out the door and right past the editors.  Let me know if I've lost my mind gramatically...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2007, 04:15:05 PM

And my review is up -

I rushed this out the door and right past the editors.  Let me know if I've lost my mind gramatically...
One bugaboo - last line in the review: "Overall, I’m impressed with how Eye of Judgment."   icon_biggrin

Very nice.  Excited to play later this week...

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 22, 2007, 04:28:41 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2007, 04:15:05 PM

And my review is up -

One bugaboo - last line in the review: "Overall, I’m impressed with how Eye of Judgment."   icon_biggrin

Very nice.  Excited to play later this week...

Yea....completed that thought. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2007, 08:25:12 PM »

Also, for those purchasing Eye of Judgment, the EyeCreate software was apparently released on the PSN today:

http://onaxis.blogspot.com/2007/10/eyecreate-officially-released-on.html

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 11:10:02 PM »

i'm gonna try and see if my local GS has this in stock tomorrow.   i'm still pretty clueless, so can anyone give me an idea of what extra cards i might want to pick up?   gonna try and find a usb extension cable as well.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 23, 2007, 11:10:02 PM

i'm gonna try and see if my local GS has this in stock tomorrow.   i'm still pretty clueless, so can anyone give me an idea of what extra cards i might want to pick up?   gonna try and find a usb extension cable as well.

Couple of things:

The game is listing, now, as shipping tomorrow on Gamestop's site.  So it could be there Wednesday, it could not.

In terms of extra cards, what you get with the game really should suffice.  You get the starter (which is the same as everyone else's starter set) and one pack of boosters (eight random cards.  Guaranteed 5 commons with 3 being rare or ultra rare).  That's really fine.  Boosters are eight-packs and theme decks are, essentially, "starter" sets for each of the different elementals.  If you want to play with another human offline, you'll need to get them their own set.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 23, 2007, 11:10:02 PM

Most recent info I heard was that it would not be arriving in stores until the 25th
and that supplies will be very limited. Stores without reservations may not receive copies
on the 25th. This was as of Tuesday PM. We stopped taking reserves last week.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »

Review from Ars Technica - 8 / 10

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/eyeofjudgment-ars.ars/1

LOLworthy quote:

I lay my card down on the mat. The camera scans it, and on the television runes explode from the card's face before the deity emerges and destroys two of the four creatures my friend has laid down. He removes the "dead" cards from the mat, places them in his graveyard where the vanquished rot, and takes a sip of his drink. Only then do I realize I just blew all my mana, and he's been banking his for an equally impressive attack. He lays his card down, and our eyes turn to the screen to see what carnage his attacks will cause. Heavy metal music is playing is the background.

This is awesome. This is Eye of Judgment.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

1up Review - 8.0

Link:  http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163905

The expertly tuned and balanced card game at the core of the experience is designed in such a way that it doesn't require the game disc itself to be played. Provided you're willing to track stats and further memorize the rules yourself, you can play it against a friend with nothing more than your deck -- no TV, no PlayStation 3, and no Eye. But that's also beside the point; having an infallible, all-seeing eye to take care of the messy specifics associated with tabletop gaming (dice, paper, arguments) makes all the difference in its accessibility, and having 3D representations of your creatures duke it out onscreen is a nice little bonus, too.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »

anyone do the preorder from Amazon with free shipping?   looks like i might go that route since i missed the preorder from GS/EB.   they aren't shipping until next week but that might be the only way to get it without having to hunt like crazy for it.

anyone do the Amazon deal?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »

Did not do the Amazon deal....

Just got a call from GameStop yesterday, confirming the game will be ready for pick-up on Thursday.  Woooooo!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 03:46:59 AM »

Well i'm gonna try and run down one tomorrow.   Gonna try my local GS, TRU, and Wally Worlds.   I've been reading that for whatever reason, that Amazon isn't shipping until November sometime.   Hoping i can come across one tomorrow.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:50 PM »

Just went to TRU, BB, and GS and no dice.   Noone had any in stock.

Might be ordering from Amazon afterall frown

depward

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 25, 2007, 02:46:50 PM

Just went to TRU, BB, and GS and no dice.   Noone had any in stock.

Might be ordering from Amazon afterall frown
Sucky.  Perhaps Gamestop online...?  Ok, just checked - backordered.  Wowza.

Perhaps just going the Amazon route would be your best bet   icon_wink  TheMissingLink and I are getting together tonight to play a couple of matches - we will try to throw some impressions in here...

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2007, 02:57:59 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 25, 2007, 02:54:32 PM

TheMissingLink and I are getting together tonight to play a couple of matches - we will try to throw some impressions in here...

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2007, 05:24:39 PM »

Off work today so I went out looking for it too.  No one around has it.  The guy at Gamestop had never even heard of the game.  paranoid

depward

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 25, 2007, 05:24:39 PM

Off work today so I went out looking for it too.  No one around has it.  The guy at Gamestop had never even heard of the game.  paranoid

Did you try Best Buy, Target & Toys R Us?  I've heard people get it from those three sources more-so than others...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »

Man, my GameStop only got ONE copy of Eye of Judgment (they did get boosters, too) - and that one copy was my pre-order biggrin

SEXY.

Looking through the cards...it's hard to judge which will be vital in a library and which won't.  Some of the stronger looking cards do have their faults in terms of tons of mana to summon, inability to counter-attack, etc.  It's going to take awhile to judg (lol) how each card feels and works in a library.  Really excited to learn this game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2007, 09:18:37 PM »

Wohoo!!   GS is holding me their only copy and i'm running to grab it on the way to work.   Gotta work 7p-7a so i won't get to try it out till tomorrow afternoon/evening.   I'm also heading out of town for a night Saturday, but i'll be back Sunday.   Plus.......i'm off till next Thursday after tonight so i got all next week to give it a go! 

Pumped up!!   Thought i wouldn't get a copy!!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »

Hey man, you buy me any boosters?   paranoid

Good deal Xmann - awesome news.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »

gonna order me a usb extender while i'm at it so it'll be here when i get home over the weekend.   

will this do? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=2221&seq=1&format=2

depward

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2007, 09:34:34 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 25, 2007, 09:32:28 PM

gonna order me a usb extender while i'm at it so it'll be here when i get home over the weekend.   

will this do? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=2221&seq=1&format=2

Yessir - that's exactly what I ordered a couple of days ago actually...

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »

awesome, actually gonna get a 10ft just to be sure.

man i can see now that those booster packs are gonna be addictive.  gonna grab a couple extra when i grab the game.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2007, 12:30:50 AM »

and it's broken.  scanned and printed cards have been found to work just as well as the store bought ones.  so much for unique decks.  and the damn thing is barely out in stores. 

Despite supposedly being printed using special inks rendering photocopying impossible, reports are sprouting up around the interwebs of people successfully copying cards from Eye of Judgment on the PlayStation 3 and scanning them into the game with little or no problem. One of our readers sent pictures of a card he printed out from Penny Arcade, which despite some curling and color differences from the other cards seems to be scanning in just fine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: