http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:50:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Essential 50 Games  (Read 4276 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2005, 09:23:23 PM »

According to 1up.com anyway.  Link here.

These are the innovators -- the creations which shaped entirely new genres. The revolutions that launched great designers to fame. The concepts that inspired countless other games. And of course the failures that brought mighty corporations to their knees.

We're working in a roughly chronological order rather than according to any sort of ranking.

The Games:
Essential 50 Club

1. Spacewar (1962: PDP-1)
2. Pong (1972: Arcade/Console)
3. Space Invaders (1978: Arcade)
4. Adventure (1979: Atari 2600)
5. Battlezone (1980: Arcade)
6. Pitfall! (1982: Atari 2600)
7. Zork (1977-79: DEC PDP-10)
8. Game & Watch (1980-88)
9. Star Wars (1983: Arcade)
10. Pac-Man (1980: Arcade)
11. Donkey Kong (1981: Arcade)
12. Rogue (1980: VAX/BSD UNIX)
13. E.T. (1982: Atari 2600)
14. Dragon's Lair (1983: Arcade)
15. King's Quest (1983: PC)
16. One-on-One (1983: C64)
17. Super Mario Bros. (1985: Arcade/NES)
18. Gauntlet (1985: Arcade)
19. M.U.L.E. (1983: C64)
20. Dragon Warrior (1986: NES)
21. Ultima IV (1985: Apple II/PC)
22. The Macintosh (1984)
23. Tetris (1986: PC/NES/GameBoy)
24. Prince of Persia (1989: PC)
25. FaceBall 2000 (1990: GameBoy)
26. Doom (1993: PC)
27. John Madden NFL Football (1990: Genesis)
28. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991: Genesis)
29. Super Mario Kart (1992: Super NES)
30. Populous (1989: Amiga/PC)
31. Herzog Zwei (1991: Genesis)
32. Street Fighter II (1991: Arcade)
33. Myst (1993: Mac/PC)
34. Mortal Kombat (1992: Arcade/SNES/Genesis)
35. Virtua Fighter (1993: Arcade/32X)
36. Super Mario 64 (1996: Nintendo 64)
37. Tomb Raider (1996: PS/Saturn/PC/Mac)
38. Final Fantasy VII (1997: PS/PC)
39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999: PS)
40. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998: N64)
41. Metal Gear Solid (1998: PS)
42. Half-Life (1998: PC)
43. Gran Turismo (1998: PS)
44. Parappa the Rapper (1997: PS)
45. Ultima Online (1997: PC)
46. Pokémon (1998: GameBoy)
47. The Sims (2000: PC)
48. Jet Grind Radio (2000: Dreamcast)
49. Grand Theft Auto III (2001: PS2/Xbox/PC)
50. Halo (2001: Xbox/PC/Mac)

I think it's a pretty good list for the most part.  But The Macintosh?  Final Fantasy VII but not II/IV or III/VI?

Some I've never played and would never have though of as essential like Parappa the Rapper.  I thought they did a nice job of representing the classics.  I would have liked to see Wizardry or Might & Magic represented.

What do you think?  Agree or disagree?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 09:33:11 PM »

ET for Atari? WTF?
Did they include that because of its innovation in desert burying technology for excess cartridges?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 09:38:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
ET for Atari? WTF?
Did they include that because of its innovation in desert burying technology for excess cartridges?
And of course the failures
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 09:41:21 PM »

ET for Atari? WTF?

Check out the link on that page for the ET game.  It's some good reading:
E.T. certainly wasn't solely responsible for Atari's downfall; the company's demise was a gradual implosion. But the game is a dramatic symbol of Warner's staggering ineptitude -- an unprecedented level of incompetence that turned one of history's fastest-growing companies into one of its most money-losing in a matter of years. The simple fact is that no other game more effectively represents everything wrong with the early American gaming industry than E.T. It's less of an influence than an indicator of an unfortunate status quo. Even so, it will remain one of the most important games ever created... at least, until more publishers are willing to come out from under its dire shadow and take a stand for quality. Unfortunately, the industry seems to be headed in the direction of Hollywood these days: away from small, simple productions and towards franchises, licenses and blockbusters. And thus the spectre of E.T. looms a little larger with each passing year
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:06:59 PM »

From the article:

Every week through the end of the year, classic.1UP.com will be presenting a look at a different video gaming landmark -- the fifty most important games to be created within the forty years that the medium has existed.

If you look at it in the context of most important games, and not essential games, the inclusion of games like ET, FFVII, and the Macintosh (although that one is a bit strange) make more sense.

All in all, it's a pretty good list.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:25:23 PM »

Even going as far as calling them "important", I sure as hell wouldn't include either "ET" or "Halo." Fuck no. "ET" as an example of a disastrous idea and result? There are too many examples of that to count, so it must get points for being the first in the console gaming world. And "Halo" as an important landmark in gaming? Uh, not quite guys so stop blowing Bungie please. Dear Lord am I getting sick of all the "Halo rulez all, yo" crap that's out there, like we all have to bow before Bungie just because they made "Halo." :roll:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 10:40:47 PM »

I'll just repost what I typed on another board regarding E.T.:

I owned some really terrible games for the 2600 (Word Zapper, Submarine Commander, Journey: Escape, Pac-Man), and was fully aware of that fact at the time. E.T. wasn't one of them. The majority of people who bash it have either never actually played it, or have only attempted to play it on an emulator. Without the instructions. 20 years after it was remotely contemporary.

I'm not saying it was a *great* game - it wasn't. It was too abstract, didn't really have much to do with the movie, the pits *were* frustrating if you didn't know how to avoid them and/or levitate immediately after falling in one, etc.

But it's not the worst game ever, not the worst game on the 2600, not even the worst game published by Atari on the 2600. I think the urban legend of millions of E.T. carts being buried in the desert (and yes, it's an urban legend - said landfill has never been found, nor has anyone been able to produce an eyewitness to this event) has created this aura of "suckiness" around it that is largely devoid of any actual hands-on experience by it's detractors.

I understand why it was on the list - if anything, it set the precedent of licensed movie games that were only made because of the license, not because it was a good game idea.  And that it is (unfairly, IMO) considered one of the main reasons for the 1983 video game crash as well as the beginning of the end for Atari.

The article as a whole was a very interesting read... the nostalgia be all building up inside o' me and stuff, yo...
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 10:46:53 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Even going as far as calling them "important", I sure as hell wouldn't include either "ET" or "Halo." Fuck no. "ET" as an example of a disastrous idea and result? There are too many examples of that to count, so it must get points for being the first in the console gaming world. And "Halo" as an important landmark in gaming? Uh, not quite guys so stop blowing Bungie please. Dear Lord am I getting sick of all the "Halo rulez all, yo" crap that's out there, like we all have to bow before Bungie just because they made "Halo." :roll:

ET's failure convinced many retailers to get out of the video game business all together.  The sudden lack of retail presence accellerated and deepened the crash.  That did open the market for Nintendo.  Nintendo had to work hard to overcome retailers fears.  In effect they had to abandon the toy model and market the NES as a computer/electronics product.  That was a sea change in the industry.

Halo's primary importance was that it saved the Xbox.  All that graphical power would have been for naught if the user base didn't build enough for Microsoft to stick with it.  Halo alone sold enough systems to get more publishers to support the Xbox.  Good or bad, we wouldn't have a three horse race in the console market if it wasn't for Halo.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

25. FaceBall 2000 (1990: GameBoy)

Doesn't belong on there.

Nor does that.  It's a good game, but the 'racing' genre started long before it.  Plus, outside of Nintendo, no one's bothered to follow the Mario Kart formula, so it's not that essential in the least.

45. Ultima Online (1997: PC)

Definitely belongs on there, but I'd add either Islands of Kesmai or Everquest, the former because it was the first MMORPG, or the latter because it's the model being copied to this day, despite coming after UO.

48. Jet Grind Radio (2000: Dreamcast)

Nah.

50. Halo (2001: Xbox/PC/Mac)

Definitely not.  I understand the idea of giving a nod to the console FPS--but I'd give that nod to Goldeneye, which was actually fun, as opposed to Halo.

This list is missing a crapload of important stuff.  Not a single Gold Box RPG?  Not an RPG that represents the 2 and 1/2 Dimensional first-person party dungeon crawlers like Might and Magic, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, etc?  Where's Baldur's Gate and/or Fallout, games that literally resurrected the CRPG genre before they faded into obscurity like Adventure games did?  Speaking of Adventure games, where the hell is a LucasArts adventure?  It gives a nod to King's Quest, thus acknowledging Sierra and their adventure games, but LucasArts did the genre in their own unique and spectacular way... why aren't they represented?  Where the hell is Dune 2, often regarded as the originator of the RTS genre?  Or hell, if you want to be populist about it, where's Command and Conquer?

It's a good list, but there are sacrifices that can be made to accomidate for genres they apparently forgot to cover.  ie, Zelda: Ocarina of Time can be nixed from that list.  The two things it embodies -- Nintendo franchise power and high-quality 3D adventure, are already sperately represented on the list.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 01:54:17 AM »

I didn't notice any RTS genre games either.  Populous is one, but that's not the model that's been followed.  Warcraft, C&C, or Dune perhaps?

Who reads these anyway?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 02:22:24 AM »

They missed a lot, most glaringly the original Zelda and Final Fantasy IV, for going far beyond their contemporaries in terms of exploration and storytelling, respectively.

I think Mario Kart was included not for the racing, but for the fact that it was a game that encouraged people to play together, popularizing "party" games.

The only reason I can see for the inclusion of Jet Grind Radio is that it was (one of?) the first cel-shaded games.

I do think Halo belongs on the list, but more for its social relevance than for its gameplay.  It went a long way towards making non-gamers see video games as "cool" rather than "geeky".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 02:47:14 AM »

Faceball 2000: the first multiplayer first person shooter. I think it belongs.

PSN ID: EduardoX
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 03:54:05 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
They missed a lot, most glaringly the original Zelda and Final Fantasy IV, for going far beyond their contemporaries in terms of exploration and storytelling, respectively.

I agree completely.  Especially about FFII/IV which stood above the previous Final Fantasy games based on the strength of its story.
The only reason I can see for the inclusion of Jet Grind Radio is that it was (one of?) the first cel-shaded games.

The first.  It's old hat now but when JGR came out it was stunning to say the least.  Few games were as visually arresting as JGR.  The gameplay kept me interested for about 3 hours.  I did love the soundtrack and wish I could find it somewhere.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 04:22:51 AM »

I do think Halo belongs on the list, but more for its social relevance than for its gameplay.  It went a long way towards making non-gamers see video games as "cool" rather than "geeky".
Nah.

I'd argue gaming is still seen as geeky.  At least, the majority of it is.

GTA3 and The Sims did more to mainstream gaming than Halo ever did.  Halo's a good example of a killer app/one trick pony, but it's by no means even near the top 50 most Influential games of all time.

Faceball 2000: the first multiplayer first person shooter. I think it belongs.

It's the first, yes.  But it's not like it inspired id to write Doom's netcode.

I honestly don't think it belongs on there.  Not when the entire RTS genre, Simcity (more important than The Sims imo), Starflight or Elite, and several crucial RPGs aren't.

Prince of Persia is an extremely dubious choice as well.

As for the Final Fantasy argument, while FF4/FF6 may have sported better stories, (and I have trouble agreeing with that), FF7 was simultaneously the final nail in the cartridge's coffin and the result of an unprecedented betrayal:  Square moving away from the short-sighted Nintendo and siding with what would become the next titan of the console market:  Sony.  Plus it ushered in an era of cinematic RPG storytelling that makes it the Citizen Kane of the series.

Like it or not, FF7 is far more 'important' than FF4 or 6.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 04:38:40 AM »

I think that FF7 is on the list because it actually made RPG's accessible.  The Gold Box series was a computerized version of D&D.  The early FF games were huge, but still in a niche market.  FF7 had a huge marketting campaign behind it, and it exceeded expectations by leaps and bounds in the US.  I doubt that you would see as many RPG's for consoles out in the American market if it wasn't for the success of FF7.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 05:27:43 AM »

Halo has been very influencial, anyone can see that, whether it was deserved or not. The reasons people have listed all add up to it being important. It is what put the Xbox in the running and that is huge. A third console, all equally able to survive. It has never happened before like this. To me, that alone is huge, and what is to thank for this? Halo.  In all reality, Master Chief is going to be more memorable to the generation of kids just starting to play then anyone else. He is in some ways the new mario, the face of console gaming. Agree with that or disagree but it doesnt change that facts of how important it is.

Continue to say how Halo wasnt ground breaking and how it sucks, but culturaly it was ground breaking. Its "cool" to play Halo. It isnt nerdy. Its social, something GTA 3  or most gaming for that matter isnt. It was essentially the first game to allow 16 player games in one room on the console. It has changed a lot of things.

It is also by far the most succesful FPS on a console. Sure goldeneye was great and was the first breakthrough console FPS, but it wasnt Halo. It didnt cause near the stir, didnt single handedly put a console into second place (over nintendo that is saying a lot), and didnt do half as much as Halo to make consoles mainstream.

Everyone here knows Halo wasnt a huge revolution ion terms of gameplay. It wasnt ground breaking. We are all aware of that. But it was presented in a manner that no FPS had really been presented before. FPS games were still for the PC. Even goldeneye couldnt do what Halo did. Halo is just another FPS that is true, but it still caused a revolution in consoles.

Jet grind radio definatly deserves to be on there. I lvoe that game! Ive been playing it again now since I read this! Great game  smile . And it started the cell shading fad. Granted I have started to despise the cel shading fad, it still was a big deal.

I can see mario kart for the SNES being there. It may not have been the first racing game, but it did start the kart racing, which is a big deal. Many games have followed the lead of mario kart. Kart racing is its own genre (and a healthy one for that matter) as a result of mario kart.

39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999: PS)

Agreed here! Tony Hawk also did a ton to make gaming "cool."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 06:04:44 AM »

Wow, Chris, I think I'm the polar opposite of you.  Every time I see Tony Hawk's name, I can't help but think he's a corporate icon of what They think kiddie counter-culture is.  Skateboarding used to be a clique-ie activity engaged in by psuedo-social outcasts.  Now it's got it's own MTV-esque prepackaged garbage series on ESPN.  Total Sellout of the activity occurred via Tony Hawk.  He absolutely ruined the very activity he engages in.

But hey, he's richer than hell now, so I doubt he gives a damn.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 06:17:18 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
It is also by far the most succesful FPS on a console. Sure goldeneye was great and was the first breakthrough console FPS, but it wasnt Halo. It didnt cause near the stir, didnt single handedly put a console into second place (over nintendo that is saying a lot), and didnt do half as much as Halo to make consoles mainstream.

Just to correct a factual error of yours--the Gamecube is FAR more popular globally than the XBox.

And I really don't buy the idea that Halo made gaming mainstream.  The Sims did that far better than Halo ever did.

And just FYI, the XBox did NOT survive because of Halo.  The XBox survived because Microsoft was both expecting and fully willing to lose literally millions of dollars in an attempt to force their way into the console gaming market.  In short, the XBox is around because Microsoft was ready to go to the cleaners over it.  Not because of Halo in the least.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 06:53:16 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Just to correct a factual error of yours--the Gamecube is FAR more popular globally than the XBox.

And I really don't buy the idea that Halo made gaming mainstream.  The Sims did that far better than Halo ever did.

And just FYI, the XBox did NOT survive because of Halo.  The XBox survived because Microsoft was both expecting and fully willing to lose literally millions of dollars in an attempt to force their way into the console gaming market.  In short, the XBox is around because Microsoft was ready to go to the cleaners over it.  Not because of Halo in the least.

Actually im pretty sure the xbox is in second place worldwide. Whot do you consider worldwide? Everything except north america? Worldwide includes north america. Everythign I have found says that the xbox is still indeed in second place. I would be interested to see some hard facts to the contrary, but I doubt it. I have googled and googled and everything I have come up with says the xbox is firmly in second place. And I know that the cube couldnt possibly FAR more popular worldwide. If it is ahead, it would be a narrow lead that is for sure.

And if it wasnt for Halo, there is no way that the Xbox would be anywhere near as popular as it is now. MS could stick with it and lose millions all they want, but it wouldnt be the same without Halo, and there would be very little buzz around the xbox 2. LE, you are a huge critic of Halo, and I would be careful to not let your bias against it make you look ignorant. If you cannot see the affect Halo has had on the gaming industry (not necesarily meaning revolutionizing gameplay) you are blind because of your hate of a game simply because it is popular.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 07:02:30 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Wow, Chris, I think I'm the polar opposite of you.  Every time I see Tony Hawk's name, I can't help but think he's a corporate icon of what They think kiddie counter-culture is.  Skateboarding used to be a clique-ie activity engaged in by psuedo-social outcasts.  Now it's got it's own MTV-esque prepackaged garbage series on ESPN.  Total Sellout of the activity occurred via Tony Hawk.  He absolutely ruined the very activity he engages in.

But hey, he's richer than hell now, so I doubt he gives a damn.

Some peolpe would say that he brought it back from the brink of death. It just depends on how you look at it. If ruining it is making it mainstream, then sure. But that is like people who complain that everyone likes "their band" now that it has become mainstream. They complain that they were fans before anyone else knew about them, and that they were there in the garage days of the band. Who cares? Is it only cool if nobody else knows about it? Its like LE's hate of Halo. Its a huge success, so he says "but they wernt there in the early days of FPS games! Stoopid nubes."

Skateboarding is huge because of Tony Hawk. He ruined it if he wanted to be a psuedo-social outcast, but I doubt that is what he had in mind. Its become a main stream bona-fide sport.

I never get it when someone says a person or group is a "sellout." Oh, im sorry, you would turn down the money and success? Teachers had a strike here in my town a couple of years ago. Damn them for wanting more money. Stupid sellouts.  smile
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 01:04:03 PM »

Never heard of Game & Watch until now.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 01:05:50 PM »

Excuse me - where the hell is the WING COMMANDER series on that list? :?

That series defined every space-based simulation since then as well as the implementation of full motion video as a story-based element into games.

It also put SoundBlaster (and Creative Labs) on the map and it forced many, many people to purchase CD-ROM drives for their powerful 386 machines!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »

Quote from: "Scuba-V"
I didn't notice any RTS genre games either.  Populous is one, but that's not the model that's been followed.  Warcraft, C&C, or Dune perhaps?

31. Herzog Zwei (1991: Genesis) - If I remember right, it was the first RTS on a console, period. And quite possibly the first RTS at all.

One title I think that should've been there was the original Starfox on the SNES. 3D polygons on a home console? Sure, 3D had been done already (in the Arcades with Virtua Fighter, among other games), but never before on a home console.

And Stardrifter - I completely, totally, and utterly agree with you. I remember upgrading my PC with a Soundblaster card for Wing Commander 1 ("You cannot defeat the Drakkai!" biggrin ), and upgrading my PC from a 386/16 to a 486/25 just for the sequel. How's that for computer innovation? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 05:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
Excuse me - where the hell is the WING COMMANDER series on that list? :?

That series defined every space-based simulation since then as well as the implementation of full motion video as a story-based element into games.

It also put SoundBlaster (and Creative Labs) on the map and it forced many, many people to purchase CD-ROM drives for their powerful 386 machines!

It shows that if you make a list of games like this that includes PC, console and arcade then you won't come close to what many would agree on. Its also   going to squeeze out games since this includes "big failures" as they call them like E.T. Not really sure the reason for this type of list really. I would just leave off the bombs like E.T. and just put them in a "Biggest gaming flops ever" list or something.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 05:18:40 PM »

i agree on Legend of Zelda for NES, what were they thinking, leaving it off the list?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 05:52:30 PM »

They've started a second list, for games that are classics but they didn't feel belonged on the Essential list.  See http://crucialclassics.1up.com/
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 06:17:54 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
They've started a second list, for games that are classics but they didn't feel belonged on the Essential list.  See http://crucialclassics.1up.com/

Yeah, now everyone can be happy and have their games on the list! smile
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 06:46:12 PM »

Everquest should be on the list for many reasons (or perhaps Ultima Online but EQ had far more subscribers).

If Halo is on the list then Tribes 1 should be there.  Tribes influenced Halo and many other online games.  Counter Strike was an important game as well.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 07:18:39 PM »

[

Nor does that.  It's a good game, but the 'racing' genre started long before it.  Plus, outside of Nintendo, no one's bothered to follow the Mario Kart formula, so it's not that essential in the least.

Your kidding right?  
Mario Kart had 4 palyer split screen racing and was hugely popular.  It was one of the first 4 player  split screen games that I remember.  Games you are forgeting that "followed the formula"
Crash Team Racing 1 and 2
Smurfs Racing
Star Wars lame Kart game
Diddy kong Racing
Theres at least a couple more I cant remeber as well.  Seemd for awhile that every succesfull platformer ws coming out with a 'kart' racing game.

Edit: heres a few more games that didn't follow the mario Kart formula  :roll:

looney Tunes space race
toy story racer
wacky racers(dreamcast even)
speed punks
south park rally
muppet race mania
chocobo racing
mikey's speedway usa

looks more like Mario Cart starte a whole sub-genre in racing.

morlac00 on PSN
Zap Rowsdower
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 08:12:55 PM »

Wow. They managed to miss Civilization, SimCity *and* Pokemon.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »

Quote from: "Zap Rowsdower"
Wow. They managed to miss Civilization, SimCity *and* Pokemon.
Pokemon is #46.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2005, 08:30:28 PM »

Sim City was an important game, thats for sure. But there isnt enough room for all of them!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2005, 08:38:35 PM »

The early 90's NHL series for Sega Genesis should have been on that list.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »

Quote from: "morlac"
Edit: heres a few more games that didn't follow the mario Kart formula  :roll:

Holy crap!  Rollie eyes!  I got served!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2005, 09:35:40 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 12:40:14 AM »

uh, not to point at you and laugh, gut you did notice he said NHL instead of NFL right?  i understand if you meant the nhl series as it was also EA, like madden.  

btw, i loved madden.  the only real sports game i played as often as a non-sports game.  great fun.

JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 01:16:39 AM »

Eh, wrong and wrong.  Xbox is the number 2 console worldwide, has been for a while now.  The cube was crushed in the US, and while it is 2nd in Japan there just aren't as many of them playing console games (There was a 40% drop last year alone.  They’re all playing handhelds.)

And, the point someone made about Halo is that as a result of it Game Developers  & publishers started making Xbox games.  MSFT does have dough, and that has helped them, but I do think Halo belongs at the bottom of the list for the reasons stated here.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005, 02:35:58 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"

uh, not to point at you and laugh, gut you did notice he said NHL instead of NFL right?  i understand if you meant the nhl series as it was also EA, like madden.  
Whoops.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005, 02:41:33 AM »

Quote from: "JeffG"
Eh, wrong and wrong.  Xbox is the number 2 console worldwide, has been for a while now.  The cube was crushed in the US, and while it is 2nd in Japan there just aren't as many of them playing console games (There was a 40% drop last year alone.  They’re all playing handhelds.)

And, the point someone made about Halo is that as a result of it Game Developers  & publishers started making Xbox games.  MSFT does have dough, and that has helped them, but I do think Halo belongs at the bottom of the list for the reasons stated here.
Apparently we're both wrong.  Courtesy of CNET:

"(Nintendo and Microsoft) are fairly close for No. 2, and I think they'll remain that way," he said. "Xbox has done really well in North America, but it hasn't gotten very far in Japan and the rest of Asia. The (Nintendo) GameCube has a solid presence in all three (regional) markets, but they're not really knocking them dead in any of them."

As for the other part, give me one example where Halo's success made a developer want to develop for the XBox more than Microsoft shelling out publishing money did.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2005, 03:29:26 AM »

I don't even OWN the first Halo, but it is hard to deny the crazy amount of MAINSTREAM press the second one got.  They were showing people lined up outside of shops and video clips from it on the ABC Nightly News (whatever Peter Jennings hosts).  Whether it is a good game or not isn't the issue.  The fact that it DID cross whatever boundary, real or imagined, between "real" journalism and niche gaming journalism is what makes it special.  For some reason it has gone beyond the next great game (a la MGS3, FFX!, or the like) and was able to build on the hype.  My mom, who has never played a video game in her life, was exposed to it.  There are few outside of Mario and Sonic that I could say the same about.  That doesn't make it a great game, but it is important and influencial.  I don't know if I would call it "essential," but that would be rather subjective.  Like my own personal "desert island" collection.  I might put it on my list, if only to finally sit down and play it to see what the hype is about.  FPS on a console, why bother?  If anything, I'd put Halo 2 on there instead since it at least has a nice selection of multiplayer modes.

The only company I know that is slapped silly by the power of Xbox is Team Ninja.  Of course the guy that did Ninja Gaiden said he would happily jump to the PS3 or next-gen Nintendo box if it were the most powerful.

Oh, and the RTS game by Westwood (who later created the Command & Conquer series) was Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis.  It was revolutionary.

I ramble on...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: