http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim  (Read 31434 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »

I finally got past the "hermit Vikas" glitch and was able to finish up the companions quests.  Haven't decided whether to end the affliction or not.  

Not sure what changed, but I went exploring up near the cave where he got stuck to see if it was there was anything worth seeing and then fast traveled to dragonsreach for a last attempt to get him to respawn and he was right there, going on about the quest.  Didn't have to wait or anything.  I had tried that just outside the cave and spent a few minutes shouting him closer to the entrance to see if that would help.  Then I got frustrated and tried to get him killed, but he is invincible as your follower.

Just glad to be past that now and on to the next part of the main quest.  I will now be saving before any cave with a follower present, especially ones who are quest related.

As for the patch, it loads a lot faster with the install and looks just as good.  I think the resistance bug is affecting me though as I took down a frost dragon and was getting hurt a lot from his breath as a Nord.  Last time I fought any frost using creatures I wasn't taking anywhere as much damage.  I hope it doesn't affect potion buffs.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »

Looks like the resistance bug is a real thing and they're going to release another update next week-
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »

Gamefly just shipped me my copy, so it looks like I have the weekend to finish assassins creed before this pulls me in.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:09 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on December 01, 2011, 06:25:40 AM

Quote from: Razgon on November 24, 2011, 07:17:32 AM

Just be aware that the game doesn't stop, when you finish the main quest, so go ahead. Frankly, I'd say most people are missing out on some great abilities and stories by not doing the main quest early on, which I know previous games taught us to do.

Thanks for mentioning this. I stopped playing while waiting for the patch (I wasn't even out of the first location when I stopped) and I restarted today. I'll stick to the main quest (or pretty much so) for now per your suggestion.

Dammit, I just can't do it. I come into town fully planning on just selling some stuff and moving on and first thing you know I'm looking for the Gilt Beaver Claw in some dirty dungeon that hasn't been pressure washed since Thor Finger-Wagger came back from The Great Northern Unpleasantness And BBQ. Haven't these people heard of mops?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2011, 02:57:22 AM »

OK, now this is just plain crazy. I get to a bigger town and they say "hey, we spotted a dragon, go with these guys and kill it". Are you nuts? Have you seen one of these things? I soiled my underwear, sorry, my "beneath-my-tunic-cotton-thingees" the last time I ran into one of these horrible creatures and I can't get a new pair till I get paid at the end of Last Semen. Now you want me to go out there and actually try to kill one?

OK, so they talked me into it. I follow Carl the House Maid, I think that's what they called her, and off we go to the middle of freaking nowhere. Suddenly someone spots the flying beast and I ran into the damn tower and hid inside. There was screeching and howling and also a lot of noise from outside too. Finally I peeked outside and the nasty was almost dead so I shot a couple of arrows into it from the safety of the doorway. When it was dead I ran out and looted all the good stuff while Carl was making some speech. Yeah, sunshine, keep talking; these dragon bones must be worth something on E-bay.

Then everyone starts looking at me and saying how I have bad breath or something and suddenly they tell me I'm now called "Dragging Pants" or some such nonsense. I didn't hang around to listen, I was off to try to pawn the bones.

Eventually they drag me back up to the main house, err, keep, or whatever the weird dude with the tiara calls it. He says that since I'm Dragging Pants I have to go visit ZZ Top at their studios in High Hoth. I try to explain to him that first, I'm not even wearing pants, and second, that Hoth place is damn cold and like I said, I don't have any pants. But his mind is settled and what with all the guards I figure I'll humor him and leave and go anywhere but where the Empire might be expecting me to go.

But bad news. After he gives me a little hatchet he tells me he's assigned me Carl the House Maid to keep an eye on me, only it's not the same Carl. She says her name is Lydia but I have my doubts when I start humming to the tune to "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" and see doesn't recognize the tune. And she scares me a bit.

So we're off to see ZZ Top and maybe when I explain the mix-up to them they will let me sit in and jam with them. I think I have this enchanted lyre in my bag somewhere... let me look...

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 02, 2011, 05:03:25 PM »

I had a very terrible time today,i had missed an Unusual Gem(Side quest for Vex in the Thieves guild to collect 24 of them),and it was in the Thalmor Embassy which you visit at the start of Act II,well you can only enter the place during the main quest..so i was screwed

however,i read up online,and found this Video,which i copied,and thankfully i was able to glitch myself back into the embassy and pick up the Gem...but what a pain it was trying to do it,it took me ages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4NEu_c_j8&feature=player_embedded

I was a bit pissed with Bethesda for not letting us back into the place,how the hell was i to know i would need to get back in for a quest i picked up 90 hours later icon_cry

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 02, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »

That gem can be taken at least 4 places, since I have 4 copies of it

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »

Question about the main quest line.   Will you have to pick a side between Empire and Stormcloak.  Simple yes or no.  I am close to joining Legion since I am playing a Dunmer

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 02, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 02, 2011, 05:08:37 PM

That gem can be taken at least 4 places, since I have 4 copies of it

There are 24 of them actually.  It is an annoying (IMO) "find them all" quest.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 02, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 02, 2011, 05:17:48 PM

Question about the main quest line.   Will you have to pick a side between Empire and Stormcloak.  Simple yes or no.  I am close to joining Legion since I am playing a Dunmer
To complete the main quest line?  No.  You don't have to join either.  I consider the Empire vs. Stormcloak quest line as the next most important story after the main quest.  They're not related though.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 02, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »

Can you join both the Empire and the Stormcloaks?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 02, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »

Can you join neither and still finish the main story?  Both sides are unappealing to me.  Racists vs the "Empire", which is the lesser evil?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 02, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »

Quote from: skystride on December 02, 2011, 06:31:26 PM

Can you join neither and still finish the main story?  Both sides are unappealing to me.  Racists vs the "Empire", which is the lesser evil?
That's what I did.  I felt the same way too about both factions.  After I finished the main story I did the Empire story line.  It's a completely seperate story from all of the dragon stuff.  I wasn't really impressed with the Empire quests and story.  Many were repetitive, and not near the quality of the main quest line.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 02, 2011, 09:33:04 PM

That's what I did.  I felt the same way too about both factions.  After I finished the main story I did the Empire story line.  It's a completely seperate story from all of the dragon stuff.  I wasn't really impressed with the Empire quests and story.  Many were repetitive, and not near the quality of the main quest line.

Sorry, this is completely off topic, but your post dredged up something from my past. It's "separate", not "seperate". I remember this from forty (holy crap, forty?) years ago, watching an old half-hour police show called "Adam-12". The scene, which has stuck with me since then, has one officer typing up a report while the other looks over his shoulder. The over-the-shoulder guy says "You spelled that wrong. Remember, there's 'a rat' in 'separate'". I can't remember the names of my relatives, but I can remember "a rat" in "separate"  Roll Eyes

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on December 02, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Sorry, this is completely off topic, but your post dredged up something from my past. It's "separate", not "seperate". I remember this from forty (holy crap, forty?) years ago, watching an old half-hour police show called "Adam-12". The scene, which has stuck with me since then, has one officer typing up a report while the other looks over his shoulder. The over-the-shoulder guy says "You spelled that wrong. Remember, there's 'a rat' in 'separate'". I can't remember the names of my relatives, but I can remember "a rat" in "separate"  Roll Eyes
That's awesome.  I will remember that now icon_smile  Separate is one of many words that I routinely screw up without a spell check. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 02, 2011, 10:04:44 PM

That's awesome.  I will remember that now icon_smile  Separate is one of many words that I routinely screw up without a spell check. 

shouldn't this be in a seperate topic? biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 03, 2011, 03:47:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 02, 2011, 10:44:16 PM

No.  You should of known that its definately acceptible for them to have there discussion here slywink

Anyway, I received the guide from Amazon today, and the thing is just crazy.  Over 650 pages with small text and presumably everything you could ever want to know aobut the game.  It's also filled with checklists so you can keep track of everything you've done in the game.  I plan to explore on my own first, and then use the guide to make sure I didn't miss anything.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 03, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 03, 2011, 03:47:52 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 02, 2011, 10:44:16 PM

No.  You should of known that its definately acceptible for them to have there discussion here slywink

I think you mean "hear".

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »

A rat in separate.

Thanks for sharing that smile 
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: December 05, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »

The little 3 meg patch sure made a difference on the 360. Textures look a hell of a lot better especially indoors. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

After playing for about 60 hours I am doing the main quest and it is pretty cool. Not sure how many more quests I'll do before tackling the dark brotherhood questline again.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
stryker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:25 AM »

there is also a rat in "seperate".
which is the most common misspelling I think.  Someone should talk to those Adam-12 writers...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »

Quote from: stryker on December 06, 2011, 01:35:25 AM

which is the most common misspelling I think.  Someone should talk to those Adam-12 writers...

No, there is e rat in "seperate".

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: December 06, 2011, 04:27:32 AM »

Quote from: stryker on December 06, 2011, 01:35:25 AM

Send them the a link.

Well, at least according to OnePoll.com on Britons. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 10, 2011, 06:20:53 AM »

After 48 hours of playing, I hit my first significant quest bug in the game tonight...one that has made it impossible for me to become the Thane of Riften and buy a house there.  I'll give the details here so that maybe someone else can avoid the same problem.  I don't think describing this problem really warrants spoiler tags as it doesn't really give away anything significant...

In order to become Thane of Riften, you have to complete a series of quests to stop the skooma trade in Riften.  The third part of this quest line requires you to clear a group of dark elves from Cragslane Cave.  Unfortunately, that location is along the road on your way to Riften, and if you stop there and clear the cave along the way to the town (prior to receiving the quest from the Jarl of Riften), it will irreversibly break the quest because the enemies you need to kill to accomplish the goal will no longer be there when the jarl sends you to kill them.  If you want to become Thane of Riften and buy the house there, you have to avoid visiting Cragslane Cave until the appropriate time.

I did a little search to see if this was a common problem and it looks to be a very consistent bug that affects anyone who clears the cave too soon.  A console command has been identified to fix the quest on PC, but those of us playing on a console are out of luck unless you go back to an earlier save.  In my case, that would mean giving up about 8 hours of play...not something I'm willing to do just for another house icon_mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 10, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

Me and Myto had a problem with the Thane of Riften status as well,but it wasn't that part,it was after that and was able to buy a house,if we went to look at the house straight away then it would bug,if we bought the house and then straight away decorated it,it was fine

I know some people on that Thane of Riften quest are having problems with the Skooma part

most of the quest bugs i have are because i have done the thing they wanted before i have got the actual quest,i know its a big game but i am sure Bethesda should of realised this would happen,i for one started the game and then just went exploring and found 250 locations before i carried on with the game(i am on 341 now)
Glitched quests for me:

bigger yet still relatively small side quests
Repairing the Phial-the guy wants a briar heart,and points you to where there is a place that is populated with Forsworn and their Briar Chief,i had already killed everyone,and the waypoint points me to the dead chief who is empty because i had already looted his heart,i have the heart on me but can't use it,or any other Briarheart i come across

Arniel's Endeavor-i need to place a warped Gem Stone into a few dwarven converters and heat the converter up with a spell Arniel teaches me,they are pointed out on the map,i do the first and then it tells me to go to another one,so i go to another one and use the spell,but nothing happens...i have tried going to the other locations but still nothing happens

Miscellaneous quests
Use Ward while student attacks you-this was early on in the game and when someone came up to me in whiterun said to use ward i mistakenly thought i had the spell in my home so i went back though the door and then came back out when i realised i was mistaken,but he had gone,never saw him again,but still have it in my journal

Report Leifnarr's death to his family-this is another i should of got the quest first,but i found the body first in a dungeon,the quest still popped up in my journal when i found the body,when i find the family,they don't give me the correct line to respond,so this is another that is still in my journal

Kill the Dragon at Eldersblood Peak-damn thing flies all over the place and then stays just enough away so i can't touch him with either Dragonrend or my Bow,and it's all jerky when it does fly...first time i went to him he was one of the flying backwards kind,now he flies forward but not very smoothly and always fucks off when i come close,and i always get bad slow down/frame rate problems when i do go for him

Find helm of Winterhold in Yngol Barrow-this one is so fucking annoying as i think this is for Thane status in Winterhold,you go to Yngol Barrow and have these bright light blue balls following you about making an odd noise,eventually you come to a ring door that you need the coral claw,i have the coral claw and when i match up the symbols on the ring door,and then select the centre piece nothing happens,so i can't progress through the door,i have even gone back home and took the rest of my claws there and tried to use them instead,but it doesn't work

Kill the bandit leader at Uttering Hills Camp-no waypoint,so when i do find out where Uttering Hills camp is(which i have already cleared because it was part of the thieves guild questline) i go there and kill everyone and the bandit leader,nothing happens,and they are Sommerset Shadows not Bandits if that matters

not bad i suppose for how much time i have put in,but still it would be nice if i was able to clear these from my journal and the 'quest' items from my item list..i have had a few quests where i have needed to reload and it has fixed itself,and thankfully none of the main quests have problems

I finished the Companions questline last night,which was good but disappointing at how short it was,i started and finished it last night,took no more than 2-3 hrs,whereas the thieves for me was just as long as the main questline and the Mages was a decent length as well..not started Brotherhood yet

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

When is the console version of the patch's patch supposed to arrive?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 10, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 10, 2011, 03:34:30 PM

"Pushing for Next Week"

Beth Forums

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 10, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 10, 2011, 04:57:56 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 10, 2011, 03:34:30 PM

"Pushing for Next Week"

Beth Forums

Thanks.

-craig

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »

There was a one day price cut for Skyrim here in the UK

guess it worked

Skyrim topples Modern Warfare 3 in UK

I ran into a bug last night

I would ask Aela for work at the Companions and she was babble on about some Totem we have to go and get,and my waypoint took us to Sunderstone Gorge

when we arrive there,we go through the cave mouth to a loading screen.....and my 360 locks up,this happened 3 times at the same point last night before i gave up and went to bed

as the place is random,i may try a autosave for before i get the quest and see if Aela gives us another place,and then at a later time i will check out Sunderstone Gorge and see if it crashes on me,on my own(it shouldn't do,i think i have cleared the place out in the past)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:39 AM »

I managed to fix my problem,i just got to Aela quicker than last time and she gave me a completely different mission,so i did that and then she gave me the totem quest,and this time in a different location,so i did that last night

However...who was it who had the problem with the companions and the jailbreak guy?,well i have the same problem,no waypoint to find him,remembering what you said i reloaded a save before i asked him for a job,and will either experiment or hope that some patch in the future will fix it

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »

I have pretty much finished up with this today finally

so my main play thru took 204 hours,and an achievement didn't unlock 'Oblivion Walker' collect 15 daedric Artifacts,there are 16 so you are allowed to let one pass,i thought i did it right,but i heard differently...apparently the Skeleton Key even though listed(and listed for the achievement)does not count towarsd the deadric 15.....that means without the skeleton key,there are only 15,which is what you need,right at the beginning of the game i let the Skull of Corruption go thinking fine i will get the rest and still be cool...wrong

so after i failed to get that achievement,i finished up with everything else,getting the remaining achievements(which was what brought my total playtime to 204hrs)

Then i start the game again concentrating on getting Daedric Artfacts,i was now an Imperial hottie called Belinda,i played this time on very easy and went through the daedric artifacts one by one,Ill met by moonlight can be done so that you get both artifacts available to you instead of the one that is supposed to be(which i also missed out of taking advantage of on my first playthru),and they both add to your total

i got the achievement with still needing the Ebony Mail,and not even going for the Skeleton key

i unlocked the achievement after 19 and a half hours on this second playthru

so 1000/1000 baby!!!

so if anyone is in the same place i was having let one of the daedric artifacts go thinking you will still be cool,you wont be...unless you still have Ill met by moonlight to go,or if you did it and got the ring,then you can go back and get the skin

Favourite storyline i think is the Dark Brotherhood,followed by the Thieves guild...The Mages and The Companions were very short and shit,civil war was so-so as well

but with there plenty to do in the game it didn't stick in my mind that much

Still unable to start Blood on the Ice mission in both games,so i have still not done that(and not got the house in Windhelm either),and i have not maxed my level to 81 as i have not maxed out all my skills

I got married to Aela The Huntress from The Companions,i told her to wash her face for the wedding,i guess she didn't hear me,and she sets up a shop in your house,and i noticed in her things for sale were her wedding ring,LOL,so i guess the honeymoon is over Tongue

great game though,bring on The Elder Scrolls VI  icon_biggrin

actually the DLC should be good,if they are aiming for more shivering isles type DLC,as that is still my favourite DLC of all time

and it will be interesting to see Fallout 4 as well

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 20, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »

Question about Dark Brotherhood questline:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Once you get to "Dark Brotherhood Forever" (I think that's the name), where you are in Dawnstar Sanctuary and I am the official "Listener" do the quests get/stay interesting, or is it just a series of meet contact, kill victim repeated over and over? I'm getting a little tired of being an evil, murdering bastard, and if the quests are just going to be kill next victim over and over, I'm ready to move on. If, there is some more cool DB storyline to come by doing these, I would like to know that, without knowing the details.

I am at around 70 hrs in, level 26.8 or so. Still having fun. Done with main quest (fun, but anti-climactic and seems mostly pointless since Dragons continue to attack everywhere) and sided with the slightly less evil Nord rebels (they didn't try to execute me at the beginning of the game, so I went with them). Amazed at how compelling some of these side quests are, which has kept me playing, but I am getting a little fatigued now. By far and away the best TES/Bethesda game, and the only one I would rate highly.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2011, 05:10:31 AM »

not sure why i didn't see your question anout The Dark Bro's,but
Spoiler for Hiden:
yup,they carry on and on

and although the Nords didn't try and kill me at the beginning,they were pretty racist towards any and all dark elves(especially in Windhelm),so i fought for the Imperials

but i think both sides are meant to have their faults so it doesn't matter who you join,they are all similar missions anyway

Skyrim now has Conspiracy Theorists

explained(well...kind of,well..not at all) in the link

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 23, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »

have they fixed that annoying resistance nerf they added last patch?  I hate getting my ass handed to me on a frozen platter courtesy of the damn frost dragons.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »

Yes.

-craig

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »

Finally got some time in with this.  Graphics are improved, the score is even better than I remember, each side quest, no matter how tangential to the story, are compelling and have that "I just have to see what happens" feel, and the dialogue shows true effort in its development, including accents, emotion, etc. 

My biggest dislike is the compass.  Locations will show up on the compass, but until you actually discover them you have no idea how close or how far they are, if they're worth visiting, what they might be, etc.  If it starts to show up on your compass then it would be a huge help if those locations then showed up on the game's map.  I spend a little too much time wandering after locations that appear on my compass.  But overall the game is fantastic and at times overwhelming (do I learn to make potions, weapons, armor, do I help with farming to make some money, do I train as a mage, do I learn to cook?).

I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this one. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 12, 2012, 03:37:04 PM

My biggest dislike is the compass.  Locations will show up on the compass, but until you actually discover them you have no idea how close or how far they are, if they're worth visiting, what they might be, etc.

I think locations only show up on the compass if you're within a certain range of them and as you get closer the icons on the compass become bigger. I also believe that each location type has specific compass icon. For instance, a town or inn looks like a house, a ritual stone looks like a little stone, a dragon nest looks like a dragon head, etc.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 12, 2012, 03:52:35 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 12, 2012, 03:37:04 PM

My biggest dislike is the compass.  Locations will show up on the compass, but until you actually discover them you have no idea how close or how far they are, if they're worth visiting, what they might be, etc.

I think locations only show up on the compass if you're within a certain range of them and as you get closer the icons on the compass become bigger. I also believe that each location type has specific compass icon. For instance, a town or inn looks like a house, a ritual stone looks like a little stone, a dragon nest looks like a dragon head, etc.

As I was typing my assessment I realized that this is probably the case, that you first have to be within range of a location for it to show up as an icon.  It would be nice if they had some sort of map key, though, as some symbols aren't entirely intuitive when you first start out playing the game.

I also find myself reading every book I find.  Some are fairly extensive and the stories entertaining and fun to read.  To think that someone wrote these stories scattered throughout Skyrim without any guarantee that they'd even be found, read, or seen, is just unbelievable. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »

PeteRock is the 1%. The 1% who actually reads the books in Skyrim, that is. Heck, I've gotten to the point that I skip much of the dialogue. I love the game, but the lore does nothing for me.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: