http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim  (Read 32451 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 14, 2011, 03:38:46 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
So I'm going up the 7k steps, and there is a troll I just can't kill as a warrior at level 8.  Any suggestions or do I just need to level up a little more.
 He just swats me twice or three times and I'm dead.  My housecarl and I just can't do enough damage.

Did you try your shout?  I'm just saying as I forget at times as well.  

So my Dark Elf BattleMage  - Destruction Magic, One- Handed Dwarven Mace enchanted with Fire & Heavy Armor is kicking ass.  Love finding  these random dungeon. In one I was exploring a cave inhabited by frost spiders when I saw a button on the wall.  Press the button and I find a Coven of Vampire Witches.....    Love this game

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:07:31 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 15, 2011, 12:52:41 AM

I know this has already been mentioned (somewhere) in this or the other thread, but my copy of the Collector's Edition stategy guide showed up from Amazon today and holy moley... there's a whole lota stuffs in there!  eek

And it's thick enough to kill somebody if you smash it on their head, too! biggrin

But yes, the strat guide is freakin' awesome and very well done.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2011, 02:57:09 AM »

I managed to kill him twice at level 8, but the trade off was my Housecarl Lydia died too, which is weird as she wouldn't die on other attempts, just take a knee.  So I ran past and leashed him.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2011, 03:18:31 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on November 15, 2011, 02:57:09 AM

I managed to kill him twice at level 8, but the trade off was my Housecarl Lydia died too, which is weird as she wouldn't die on other attempts, just take a knee.  So I ran past and leashed him.

I ran for my life at level 7.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2011, 04:53:55 AM »

found my 203rd location today...it's official,i hate bears

also,i had my first hard lock(360),i hope that is one of very few

EDIT:apparently Luke Skywalker is in a cave somewhere hanging upside down,so i have heard anyway,gonna go look for him tonight he is supposed to be in Bleakcoast Cave which is south east of Winterhold
EDIT:EDIT:okay i have just been there,its a snowcave and it has Frost Trolls in there so it really does seem like Hoth Wampa's cave,however the trolls always kick my ass so i have not been able to have a look around the cave yet(i legged it back out when i saw the two trolls in other words)

last night,i was near Whiterun when i found a Horse standing over a dead guy,i am guessing his owner,he was 'hoofing',like animals do when missing their owners(pawing at the body)
I climbed on the horse(because it didn't have steal..and this was the first time on a horse),and rode it to Whiterun which was only 30 or so seconds away,and when i got off the horse,it trotted off again in the direction we came..so i followed it and it ended up over it's owner again,kinda like a Horse version of Greyfriars Bobby icon_biggrin...i left it there in the end

I also found a word of power,which was not being guarded by a Dragon,but a ghoul type enemy in his tomb(he broke out when i learnt the word),he was extremely tough,but it 'fell' off the side of the cliff and i was able to hit him without him hitting me,and it took ages,but i killed him in the end,when i looted his body i got a item called Volsung(i actually think this was what the bad guy was called as well)

The item was a Light Armour 'Facemask',it was 28 in Armour,5 in Weight and Valued at 4611,Prices are 20% better,you can carry 20 points more and you can breathe underwater

not too shabby icon_wink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:27:39 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
siege

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »

Over 30 hours in and I feel like I've just scratched the surface. Level 18 and I'm starting to dabble into enchanting and alchemy. There's an overwhelming amount of content in this game. Keep getting sidetracked.  

Edit: Game is starting to get a very unstable framerate and slow load times on PS3. Guess Beth still haven't figured out how to develop on the console.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:38:48 AM by siege » Logged
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »

Out of curiosity, when does the game open up?  I am only three hours in but so far everything has been go here, then here, then here...Will the game introduce me to a sequence that lets me know I am open to explore or do I need to wander off on my own and ignore the story for a bit?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Travis on November 15, 2011, 09:34:40 PM

Out of curiosity, when does the game open up?  I am only three hours in but so far everything has been go here, then here, then here...Will the game introduce me to a sequence that lets me know I am open to explore or do I need to wander off on my own and ignore the story for a bit?

just turn left at any point.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm trying to amass wealth for houses and ingredients, so I have to constantly fast travel back and forth, but I always deplete my first town's gold reserves in a single trip, so now I'm on my way to discover another big city so I can dump more loot there.

But, I keep seeing cool places I want to go to, but I can't since I know I'll find more stuff I want to take with me.

And Travis, see that cool looking building in the distance? You can go there, at any time.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »

Okay.  So there isn't really a point where the plot slows down?  Maybe I am still in the intro of the game but so far it was been very direct with "go and talk to this person" and it all seems very urgent so far. 

Also, with Morrowind, when I explored I just got slaughtered.  Everything was so far above my characters capabilities.  It was also hard for me to tell what quests I could do.  Is Skyrim the same or did they adjust this aspect?  So far I haven't had issue except for the dungeon traps which I simply can't figure out how to time....
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »

Quote from: Travis on November 15, 2011, 11:57:58 PM

Okay.  So there isn't really a point where the plot slows down?  Maybe I am still in the intro of the game but so far it was been very direct with "go and talk to this person" and it all seems very urgent so far. 

Also, with Morrowind, when I explored I just got slaughtered.  Everything was so far above my characters capabilities.  It was also hard for me to tell what quests I could do.  Is Skyrim the same or did they adjust this aspect?  So far I haven't had issue except for the dungeon traps which I simply can't figure out how to time....

I think once you get to Whiterun (the bigger town after Riverwood) you definitely get more options for sidequests and things, which may feel like "permission" to deviate from the main path.  By the time I left Riverwood I had already been doing quite a bit of exploring, and then I definitely took my time getting to Whiterun by a very indirect path.  smile

Don't forget that the main storyline will be there waiting for you, so you can just go exploring anytime you want.  There are lots of little bandit camps, dungeons, towns, NPCs, etc that you can find just wandering around.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2011, 01:27:53 AM »

I could not resist the landslide of positive vibes coming from this game and picked up the Xbox version on the way home from work.  Is there still an issue with textures with installing? 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »

I haven't had any issues on xbox... and am wayyy too sucked in. We'll see if it lasts (tired of Oblivion/Morrowind after a while), but really enjoying it right now.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2011, 02:07:50 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM

I haven't had any issues on xbox... and am wayyy too sucked in. We'll see if it lasts (tired of Oblivion/Morrowind after a while), but really enjoying it right now.

I thought everyone who installed was having texture issues.  Bethesda even confirmed it and said they were working on it.  Are you not seeing anything like that with a game installed on the HD?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2011, 02:29:37 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 16, 2011, 02:07:50 AM

Quote from: Azhag on November 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM

I thought everyone who installed was having texture issues.  Bethesda even confirmed it and said they were working on it.  Are you not seeing anything like that with a game installed on the HD?

They're the kind of issues you're unlikely to notice unless you're playing two versions of the game side by side.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »

I did have two hard locks on loading screens, but I cleared the cache and haven't had an issue since then. I'd advise trying that if you run into the same.

So far I like the level balancing. I've had a good mix of dungeons I can walk through, decently challenging dungeon bosses, and one encounter that I absolutely couldn't win even when I pulled out all the stops. I feel like it's going to be a lot of fun to go back to some of these places when I level some more.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:13 AM »

Can you change your character appearance and name after you set it in the beginning?

Can you change your skills after you've started to place points in them?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 16, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »

I started to do my own thing after Act I finished(about 7 missions into the main story),i counted my missions/side quests that i have done and i have done 17,i have about 40 open though...which is a bit ridiculous for 37hrs worth of gaming,i have however uncovered my 260th location today though  icon_biggrin

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: November 16, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 16, 2011, 07:19:03 AM

I started to do my own thing after Act I finished(about 7 missions into the main story),i counted my missions/side quests that i have done and i have done 17,i have about 40 open though...which is a bit ridiculous for 37hrs worth of gaming,i have however uncovered my 260th location today though  icon_biggrin

Wow, 260th location?  I've been playing for about 35 hours and have only discovered like 55 or something.  I didn't even know there were 260 named locations in the game! 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 16, 2011, 05:40:13 AM

Can you change your character appearance and name after you set it in the beginning?

Can you change your skills after you've started to place points in them?

No, and no.

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »

Okay.  So there isn't really a point where the plot slows down?  Maybe I am still in the intro of the game but so far it was been very direct with "go and talk to this person" and it all seems very urgent so far.  

Also, with Morrowind, when I explored I just got slaughtered.  Everything was so far above my characters capabilities.  It was also hard for me to tell what quests I could do.  Is Skyrim the same or did they adjust this aspect?  So far I haven't had issue except for the dungeon traps which I simply can't figure out how to time....

I started to do my own thing after Act I finished(about 7 missions into the main story),i counted my missions/side quests that i have done and i have done 17,i have about 40 open though...which is a bit ridiculous for 37hrs worth of gaming,i have however uncovered my 260th location today though  icon_biggrin

I did a sidequest when I reached the first town and explored a bit right after that.  I think finding the first town was the second official quest.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 16, 2011, 07:44:08 AM

Wow, 260th location?  I've been playing for about 35 hours and have only discovered like 55 or something.  I didn't even know there were 260 named locations in the game! 

According to the guide there are 345 Primary Locations and 202 secondary locations(that include points of interest etc)

it's going to be hard trying to mop up the last few places,as i already have a pretty full map,and when i fast travel to locations i see no covered places on my compass

I amy of done a few more side quests than i posted,as i found out that some side quests are not kept in your journal once completed(eg I did the Red Eagle quest yesterday,and although it was in my journal when the quest was open,when finished it disappears and isn't in the completed quests either....that's a bit dumb i think i would rather see the completed quests as well)

I found M'aiq The Liar yesterday,can't remember where he was but apparently he pops up in various places(M'aiq The Liar has also appeared in Morrowind and Oblivion)

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »

Man, sit down at 8:30 after the kids leave, look up and its 1 am.. 

eyes are on fire after a week of this.   This game is crazy good..  I am  going to go sleep when I get off work...  ummm..  as long as I do not turn on the playstation.

Argh, 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2011, 02:09:55 AM »

Loving this screenshot -
http://deadendthrills.com/2011/11/the-blades/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »

Good grief, I think I've played 4-5 hours and I've only done the first dungeon and not even left the first town area.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2011, 02:49:50 AM »

As much as I love this game, I'm going to have to put it aside until a patch is released. My save game file has reached 10 megs and the frame rate/load times have become unbearable. I've also had my PS3 hard lock twice as well as numerous occasions of getting stuck in spots and having to reload saves. The game is great but there are too many other games vying for attention to put up with this junk.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2011, 03:08:50 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 17, 2011, 02:09:55 AM

Very cool. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2011, 03:11:50 AM »

Awesome screenshot (well, highly edited screenshot, but mostly a screenshot in the end).

And sad to hear you've experienced so many problems, Seige. I've put in 60 hours into the PC version and have had exactly one crash to desktop total (when I tried to alt-tab out of the game). This is by far the most stable Elder Scrolls game ever in my eyes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2011, 03:31:55 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 17, 2011, 02:09:55 AM

There can be only one!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »

it's been a pretty good couple of months for video games and their sales

Skyrim sells 3.5million in 48hrs

Bethesda expects Skyrim launch units to generate over $450 million in global retail sales. By comparison, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 made $400 million in one day, and sold over 6.5 million units in the US and UK alone.

Bethesda shipped seven million units of Skyrim for launch. More than 50 per cent of launch units were sold in the first 48 hours, which means Skyrim sold over 3.5 million units in that period.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 17, 2011, 03:11:50 AM

Awesome screenshot (well, highly edited screenshot, but mostly a screenshot in the end).

And sad to hear you've experienced so many problems, Seige. I've put in 60 hours into the PC version and have had exactly one crash to desktop total (when I tried to alt-tab out of the game). This is by far the most stable Elder Scrolls game ever in my eyes.

Indeed it is the most stable. I think it's mainly an issue with the PS3 version. Both Oblivion and Fallout shared the same problems. Ahh well, I'll get back to it eventually. Plenty to play in the mean time.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 17, 2011, 05:23:48 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 17, 2011, 03:11:50 AM

Indeed it is the most stable. I think it's mainly an issue with the PS3 version. Both Oblivion and Fallout shared the same problems. Ahh well, I'll get back to it eventually. Plenty to play in the mean time.

I am on the PS3
I have a level 14 and a level 9 character, no idea how many hours.  1 crash.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »

I have the PC and Xbox 360 versions. While the PC version does look better than the Xbox (especially with all the tweaks that people have found) the Xbox version does look very good. No crashes so far, on either version.

I am very, very impressed with this game. This is the Elder Scrolls game that Bethesda has been promising since Daggerfall and now they have finally got it completely right. This is the Game of the Year, no question.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 17, 2011, 02:49:50 AM

As much as I love this game, I'm going to have to put it aside until a patch is released. My save game file has reached 10 megs and the frame rate/load times have become unbearable. I've also had my PS3 hard lock twice as well as numerous occasions of getting stuck in spots and having to reload saves. The game is great but there are too many other games vying for attention to put up with this junk.

How many hours have you put into the game? I read somewhere or another (IGN?) that the game gets more unstable the longer you play due it not removing corpses or and the like from the game world. Hopefully, Bethesda will put out a patch for that soon. I mean, really, do I need that first dungeon I cleared to still have dead bodies on the ground?*

*Note: I haven't gone back to those dungeons to actually see if this is true; just going off what I read in a review.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: November 17, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 17, 2011, 02:24:39 PM

Quote from: siege on November 17, 2011, 02:49:50 AM

How many hours have you put into the game? I read somewhere or another (IGN?) that the game gets more unstable the longer you play due it not removing corpses or and the like from the game world. Hopefully, Bethesda will put out a patch for that soon. I mean, really, do I need that first dungeon I cleared to still have dead bodies on the ground?*

*Note: I haven't gone back to those dungeons to actually see if this is true; just going off what I read in a review.

I like having corpses lying around. The dragon I defeated at the mage guild is still lying there in its skeletal form and makes me feel a certain pride every time I walk past it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »

Dragons keep lying around yes, but I doubt the other characters will for more than a day or two.

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 17, 2011, 02:41:25 PM

Dragons keep lying around yes, but I doubt the other characters will for more than a day or two.

I dunno - I offed a dragon once outside of town and when I came back (less than a few game hours later) it had somehow melted away.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »

I went back to the beginning dungeon to see what was through the other door and found the bodies still lying around, and according to the game I've been running around killing other things for about a week.

PC version BTW.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »

Btw, someone posted on OO a tip for homeowners.  I'll spoil it for the purist

Spoiler for Hiden:
Seems your house can be burglarized while you are out adventuring.  I will be sending Lydia home as soon as I get in from work.  Actually, I will quick travel home to check on my shit.  If my dragon bones and scales are gone I will not be a happy camper

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 17, 2011, 04:05:40 PM

Btw, someone posted on OO a tip for homeowners.  I'll spoil it for the purist

Spoiler for Hiden:
Seems your house can be burglarized while you are out adventuring.  I will be sending Lydia home as soon as I get in from work.  Actually, I will quick travel home to check on my shit.  If my dragon bones and scales are gone I will not be a happy camper

wow,thanks for the tip
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lydia has done nothing but stay at home for me,and after reading that,that is where she will be staying i have 10s of 1000s of gold worth of loot in my house,including a lot of quest items,if they went missing i would be very very pissed(i mean those 3 of 8 masks i have found cost 4600 each)

I have spent the day Smithing,and trying to get that higher,anyone got any tips that rises it higher quicker(the smithing that is)..currently about 45 in it

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: