http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim  (Read 33106 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »

not sure what makes me more excited

whether we can say the game is to be released 'THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!'

or that the Strategy Guide is THIS thick!!
pics from Kotaku

not sure about this(i don't really want every NPC,Vendor and skill book on the map)

anyway,maybe my excitement tomorrow will go up when we can say 'THE GAME IS OUT TOMORROW!!!'

EDIT:found this pic as well

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:47:16 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 09, 2011, 03:36:57 PM

Is it Friday yet?!?

I watched the unboxing of the collector's edition on IGN. I don't think the pictures have done it justice. That figure that comes with it is freaking massive. My wife was giving the evil eye as I gave a running commentary about how awesome it would look in the house.

I know.  I already have the PC version pre-ordered on Steam, but every now and then I'm tempted to grab the CE for the 360 for the statue and just sell the copy of the game.

and then I stop and realize I'd be paying 90+ bucks for something that would sit around gathering dust and regain my senses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

Animation of Skyrim video,some cool finishing moves here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iLLJwInYhd0

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »

I really really really can't wait for Friday. I'm calling in sick to work just for this  icon_biggrin
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 09, 2011, 03:36:57 PM

Is it Friday yet?!?

I watched the unboxing of the collector's edition on IGN. I don't think the pictures have done it justice. That figure that comes with it is freaking massive. My wife was giving the evil eye as I gave a running commentary about how awesome it would look in the house.
Here's the direct link.

Also, I'm less excited about the CE now that I've watched the unboxing - I'm glad I didn't waste money on it and stuck with my PC RE.

Furthermore, that was already opened, since the two half-flaps should have been above, not below, the the flap with the handle on it. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »

Someone on OO said they saw 360 and PS3 copies at Target available to buy. GO! GO! GO!
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »

I'm checking my local Target in a bit.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 09, 2011, 06:42:12 PM

I really really really can't wait for Friday. I'm calling in sick to work just for this  icon_biggrin

I did that when Morrowind came out...then the gamestop didn't get it until about 3pm.   crybaby

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »

I don't usually buy strategy guides but damn! That is one helluva guide.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »

I just found out that my local GAME are having a midnight launch for Skyrim..which means in less than 24 hrs i will be playing!!!! dude

Quote from: Crusis on November 09, 2011, 11:30:27 PM

i have both the normal guide for Oblivion and the GOTY guide,and the GOTY guide is obviously thicker,i dread to think how thick the GOTY guide would be when that gets released!!

another thing is that the guide here apparently costs £19.99,when guides usually cost £12.99

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on November 09, 2011, 11:30:27 PM

I don't normally buy guides either, but I did get the one for Oblivion and it was very helpful...great way to keep track of visited areas and quests in such a massive game.  It was good enough that I'm really tempted to pick up the guide for Skyrim from the start.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »

Bethesda put up a blog post with lots of details on the strategy guide.  Although the regular/collector's edition guides retail for $26.99/$39.99, Amazon has them on sale for $16.19 and $23.52.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »

Well, never in my life have I gone to a midnight release of a game; tonight that will change. I'm undecided on that strategy guide. I can't deny the pury sexy of it, but I enjoy discovering things for myself in games ilke this for a bit. Maybe I'll grab it and put it on the shelf until I'm ready to start using it. I can still peruse the interior maps in the meantime.

I will then proceed to call out of work and disappear into Skyrim for the next three days.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

some reviews(i actually thought the embargo was 4pm GMT,guess not)

CVG-9.5

If you're an Elder Scrolls veteran, you'll already know what you're in for. This is not the next evolutionary stage of the series: rather a loving refinement of what made Oblivion and the now-aged PC title Morrowind so special. It's those games with better voice acting, a slicker interface, a richer world and an improved story. It's also the most polished and user friendly games in the series, with smarter character progression and a gentler learning curve.

Eurogamer-8(nah,just kidding they gave it a 10)

It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you.

IGNUK-9.5

It's difficult to ever feel completely satisfied with a play session of Skyrim. There's always one more pressing quest, one more unexplored tract of land, one more skill to increase, one more butterfly to catch. It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into an finely crafted fictional space packed with content that consistently surprises. The changes made since Oblivion are many, and result in a more focused and sensible style of play, where the effects of every decision are easily seen. Featuring the same kind of thrilling freedom of choice The Elder Scrolls series is known for along with beautiful visuals and a stirring soundtrack, playing Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced.

Gamespot-i can't actually see/find the score metacritic say they gave it 90
If you've played previous Elder Scrolls games, glitches and oddities don't come as a surprise. Nevertheless, Skyrim comes in a year graced with multiple quality RPGs that feature tighter combat, fewer bugs, better animations, and so forth. But to be fair, none of those games are endowed with such enormity. Yet The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim doesn't rely on sheer scope to earn its stripes. It isn't just that there's a lot to do: it's that most of it is so good. Whether you're slashing a dragon's wings, raising the dead back to life, or experimenting at the alchemy table, Skyrim performs the most spectacular of enchantments: the one that causes huge chunks of time to vanish before you know it.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »

Sheesh, I was afraid of just how good it was going to be. I was going to wait to get it, but I guess I can squeeze it in. I just picked up Modern Warfare 3 and am loving that. It's the Abu Dhabi GP this weekend and we're leaving Monday for a trip for our anniversary. I'm not going to be getting much sleep this weekend nod

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »

FYI, giantbomb (and other sites too I guess) is streaming 12 hours of live gameplay right now.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 10, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »

CVG have got a Q+A,not many really but this one was asked and answered

Q: And how many times has the game froze so far?

A: In just over fifty hours, I've had two freezes. A fairly small amount, but hopefully the 1.1 patch sorts them out.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: November 10, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »

If I hadn't just started a new job I would be leaving early today, taking a nap, going to a midnight launch, and then taking off Friday to sleep/play. So jealous of you guys getting a 3 day weekend to experience the new game.

The reviews look great!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 10, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »

Not everyone in the US gets a 3-day weekend. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »

Those of us with weeks of sick time sitting in the bank do though  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 10, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

Not everyone in the US gets a 3-day weekend. 

I'm taking a paid vacation day tomorrow.  unfortunately I have to work Saturday though; could have spent the one day I had left for it but I'm using that one for AssCreedRev next week.

of course that also means my final two weeks at my current job will only be 4 day weeks, with Thanksgiving being another paid holiday.... strategic vacation planning FTW!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »

So has anyone heard of textures not loading correctly if you install the game to your HDD. Over on the Skyrim forums people are saying that if you install the game the textures stay low res. Ugh I hope this is not true. I hate listing to the airport while playing games of the disk  icon_lol

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »

Bethesda supposedly responded and said it's not true. Take that for what it's worth.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »

there is a comparison video Here for 360 Vs PS3 and from the video the PS3 pisses all over the 360 version

although take note that some comments seem to think its either fake or just wrong as some are playing now on their 360 and they say its nowhere near as bad as that,and some people are saying its because of that texture bug,the PS3 peeps have replied saying that the 360 people must be blind or are in denial  icon_lol

also,it seems the video shows installed nearer to the end

I hope it's wrong,because i buy the game for the 360 in 3 and a half hours...defo gonna keep an eye on my characters hands when he is casting a spell,i wanna see fingernails like the PS3 version dammit Tongue

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »

Yeah, the 360 version's textures are a bit poor. I'm watching the 12 hours of gameplay they're doing at Giantbomb since this morning. It doesn't look that much better than Oblivion texture-wise. Seeing that comparison vid is pretty surprising.

So, finally a good use for the bluray space. I can't imagine compressing all those textures down to 1 DVD helped this.

However, I suspect they'll be able to do a bit more optimization that could improve things a little bit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:08:50 PM by Turtle » Logged
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »

Here is a report I just read, said it was posted about an hour ago:

There have been a few reports earlier in the week stating the Xbox 360 version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim suffers from texture streaming issues on the Xbox 360. Oddly enough, the original report stated that when Skyrim was installed on the 360 HDD textures would stream slower then if the game was being played off the disc. Bethesda has confirmed today, that is not the case. Earlier today, VP of PR and Marketing at Bethesda, Pete Hines Tweeted:

I don’t know what texture glitches you are talking about. Game runs same off disc vs. HDD. We don’t see any differences.

Hines then Tweeted that people should wait for legit copies of Skyrim to be released:

I. Don’t. Know. Maybe legit, maybe not. We haven’t seen it. We’ll see what folks say when legit copies are out in release.

So there you have it. The Xbox 360 version of Skyrim does not have texture streaming issues according to Hines. We’ll have our screenshot comparison of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim up for all to see later this evening so be sure to check back soon.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 10, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 10, 2011, 09:06:41 PM

So, finally a good use for the bluray space. I can't imagine compressing all those textures down to 1 DVD helped this.

Memory space is MUCH more limited than disc space.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:43 PM »

That's true, but depending on the project and number of different textures, rendering pipeline, etc...

It's really complex as to what is the problem, or if there's a problem at all. But there's a lot of interplay between space, memory, steaming, compression and decompression rates, and more. So disk space can be a factor if a game is really using a lot of different high quality textures.

I was assuming that these texture issues mentioned are from retail 360 copies released early. So if it really is just a problem on the 360, and not just some software error, then the difference has to be something about the trade offs made on each platform, hence the bluray. Most information I see is that most of that space is wasted, however.

The weirder thing is, I would have expected the PS3 version to have muddier textures due to the weirdness with its memory (2 banks of 256 memory, instead of a unified 512). That's certainly been the case in the past.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »

I'm on vacation for the next week. Maybe Ill pick this up tonight and hibernate for a few days.  icon_twisted
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »

well that was one of the funnest(?) midnight launches,i was 30minutes early so we could wait in the shop,while we watched Skyrim being played(it looked great),and because we were the early birds we all got a Sons of Skyrim hat,and we all wore it while we lined up,all looking like complete dicks but loving it icon_lol...i got some right looks walking home wearing it

and there were raffles going on to win skyrim guides(i didn't win)

(this isn't me by the way,but it is the hat/helmet we all got)

oh and prepare for another erection when leaving the shop and looking into the game case,a gorgeous map is in side,printed on ...i dunno,some deluxe paper to give it a material look to it
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:53:37 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

siege

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:35 AM »

Huge line outside the local Gamestop. Sucks as its quite cold out. I just walked into Walmart and picked it up at the counter with no wait.  icon_cool
siege

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »

First impression is excellent. The sound design stands out more than anything. The music is amazing. During the intro I had some framerate issues but they seem to have disappeared now I've gone my own way. Graphically, it's very hit and miss. Textures aren't the greatest but the environments are gorgeous and the weather effects are outstanding. The shadows look awful but I'm not very picky about the technical things. As long as there aren't any major bugs, I'm good to go for awhile with this one I think.

The combat isn't much different from Oblivion. It still feels like you aren't making contact with enemies when you swing but the slomo kill cam is a pretty neat addition from Fallout. Over all it works and I'm sure it will open up a bit more when I get dragon shouts but it's definitely not a selling point for the game. Ps3 version, btw.

Edit: I need sleep but this game is ridiculously awesome. Just went through my first dungeon and you can tell it was hand crafted. Really good stuff.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:51:56 AM by siege » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

Our review is up! http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »

I'm seeing the same thing as this guy. (Look at 12 seconds vs 2:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhHLuDL3DEA

Installed definitely is a difference in textures, and it is surprisingly worse installed. Very noticeable to me. I also borrowed my friend's PS3 version, and it obviously has the upper hand. I'm slightly disappointed because I hate the PS3 controller.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 11, 2011, 12:40:11 PM

I'm seeing the same thing as this guy. (Look at 12 seconds vs 2:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhHLuDL3DEA

Installed definitely is a difference in textures, and it is surprisingly worse installed. Very noticeable to me. I also borrowed my friend's PS3 version, and it obviously has the upper hand. I'm slightly disappointed because I hate the PS3 controller.

I guess I can live with slightly worse textures, since I play at my desk on my 24 inch monitor and the 360 is about three feet from my head. Running the DVD drive all the time would be too much noise. Would be nice if there was a fix for this.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »

okay anyone else want to confirm that textures look worse on 360 installed vs not installed?  i am 100% picking this game up (just not quiiiiiiiiiite yet) and i install all my games (i have an older 360 and panic instantly when i hear that horrible noise, just waiting for something to overheat or burn out).  how bad is it, is it really there etc (i cant imagine anyone doing too detailed a test now, as anyone getting it is just going to pop it in and play! smile)  but if you do feel ambitious mind playing uninstalled then installed?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

Our review is UP!
http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on November 11, 2011, 04:34:29 PM

okay anyone else want to confirm that textures look worse on 360 installed vs not installed?  i am 100% picking this game up (just not quiiiiiiiiiite yet) and i install all my games (i have an older 360 and panic instantly when i hear that horrible noise, just waiting for something to overheat or burn out).  how bad is it, is it really there etc (i cant imagine anyone doing too detailed a test now, as anyone getting it is just going to pop it in and play! smile)  but if you do feel ambitious mind playing uninstalled then installed?

Go over to Gamefaqs.com.  Several people are reporting the issue now, but some are stating that it is a bug and can happen at any time, uninstalled or not. All I can confirm is that I've installed twice, and both times the textures muddied. Once on a new Elite, and once on my old 20GB Jasper model.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/60961264

It certainly doesn't make the game unplayable, but the difference is apparent. Playing off the disc has led to some slowdown, but nothing too dramatic.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:20:15 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »

GameInformer

Xbox 360 owners should probably hold off on installing Skyrim, at least until Bethesda issues a fix for the textures not always loading properly.

Since launching yesterday, numerous Skyrim owners have noticed textures not fully loading and appearing blurry in the game. Bethesda issued a statement on the matter in its official forums saying the problem is due to players installing the game and plans to offer a fix in the next update.

Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up. We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed).

Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it. We’re working on a solution in the next title update for those who have installed the game.

EDIT:i just deleted the game off my HDD and tried it without being installed and really couldn't tell that much difference(maybe the foliage was less jaggy),i was mainly looking at my players hands though without his gauntlets on and they didn't look that much different,but when uninstalled the loading takes longer,so i am now installing the game again,it certainly doesn't look mega bad anyway

I was very surprised when i saw that Skyrim only took up 3.8gig,whereas Oblivion on the 360 takes up 5.9gig
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:38:13 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 11, 2011, 08:14:33 PM

GameInformer

Xbox 360 owners should probably hold off on installing Skyrim, at least until Bethesda issues a fix for the textures not always loading properly.

Since launching yesterday, numerous Skyrim owners have noticed textures not fully loading and appearing blurry in the game. Bethesda issued a statement on the matter in its official forums saying the problem is due to players installing the game and plans to offer a fix in the next update.

Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up. We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed).

Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it. We’re working on a solution in the next title update for those who have installed the game.

I was very surprised when i saw that Skyrim only took up 3.8gig,whereas Oblivion on the 360 takes up 5.9gig

Is Skyrim a shorter game than Oblivion?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: