http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:00:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim  (Read 33143 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »

The list of achievements has been revealed.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 26, 2011, 05:12:14 PM

It's funny that Imperials are better at looting than everyone else.  Hey, you missed some coins hidden in his socks.  No thanks are necessary, it's what I do...finding extra coins.  I also speak on behalf of the Emperor, and can notarize documents. 
Skyrim is racist? Cancelling preorder.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:40 AM »

I like them taking Perks and stuff from the Fallout series. Er, did they have perks before?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 17, 2011, 02:12:40 AM

I like them taking Perks and stuff from the Fallout series. Er, did they have perks before?

I remember star signs that gave you bonuses (all hail The Tower!) and racial perks, plus as you advanced in a skill you'd be able to do certain things, but it looks like they're going a bit more in depth with that this time around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:59 AM »

I am replaying Oblivion at the moment,and there are also ..er...Magic Wells(i dunno what they are called)and you gain some perk for a few minutes when you draw the magic from the well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »

sometimes i really really hate Major Nelson

majornelson
The package that arrived in today's mail. Don't be surprised if I don't resurface until January http://t.co/G6zY35fy
14 hours ago

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 29, 2011, 02:05:02 PM

sometimes i really really hate Major Nelson

majornelson
The package that arrived in today's mail. Don't be surprised if I don't resurface until January http://t.co/G6zY35fy
14 hours ago

yep, someone else posted a pic of their copy yesterday too, but that is a good thing.....

it means next to no chance of a LAST MINUTE DELAY LIKE WHAT HAPPENED WITH OBLIVION!!!  Cabbage Patch Cabbage Patch Cabbage Patch

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »

I got my copy too.  Day 1 review?  No....day BEFORE review.  Yep. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2011, 09:09:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 29, 2011, 09:06:46 PM

*Fist Shaking*

Have fun Ron

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

cool.... icon_evil

what platform Ron?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »

This concept art trailer is pretty cool.  Great music too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zYcuyiMa-QY
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 29, 2011, 09:54:48 PM

cool.... icon_evil

what platform Ron?

360.  I'm buying it for the PC myself. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2011, 04:04:05 AM »

Looking forward to your review.  Can't wait to play this on the 360.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

The whole beginning of the game has leaked onto Youtube. Don't watch unless you want to be majorly spoiled. I've got to say, looking at video, it doesn't look much different from Oblivion, gameplay wise. Animations are still not that great. Oh well. The game still looks incredible, but you would think that Bethesda could have hired some decent animators with all the money they raked in from Oblivion. Maybe I'm just spoiled from games like Batman and Uncharted now which have incredible animation.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »

Here are the two videos, if you want to see for yourself....but be warned....MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlyIsGI0WE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3UCCJYU59A

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 30, 2011, 01:47:23 PM

Here are the two videos, if you want to see for yourself....but be warned....MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TlyIsGI0WE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3UCCJYU59A

taken down, unfortunately.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »

The videos have been reposted here:

http://kotaku.com/the-elder-scrolls/

There has been quite a bit of backlash over this video so far. I admit, I have not been following this game as much as the other ones....but have they made this game out to be a vastly improved gameplay experience or something with incredible animation? It looks pretty good to me, but I thought Oblivion looked fine. It honestly looks like a somewhat upgraded Oblivion, which is fine with me in the end. It really seems like some people are PISSED though.

I'm not pissed, but I am a tad disappointed, since I really wished they would have done something about the animation system in the last few years, besides adding "finishing moves".

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »

Bethesda has a few... issues... that they struggle to overcome with every game they release. One of them is animation, but I almost never care about that since I have no interest in playing their games in third person.

A worse issue they have is that they somehow manage to make any voice actor sound bored and uninspired, no matter how good that actor is. They managed to blunder their way through Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Sean Bean, great actors all, without getting a good performance out of any of them. Only Malcolm McDowell (of all the well-known actors) managed to pull off a respectable performance for them that I can recall, but that's partly because he always sounds the same anyway. I really don't understand how they do it. There must be something about the process they put their actors through that takes away their inspiration, but without an insider's view of the process it's impossible to tell what that could be.

Another issue is the level scaling, but that has been covered in depth already, so no need to retread that ground.

All in all though, these things don't matter all that much because (apart from the level scaling) none of these issues are central to the games' designs. You can play Oblivion for hundreds of hours without ever hearing Sean Bean's voice, and you can do the same with Liam Neeson in Fallout 3 (apart from the very beginning). The animation is hardly an issue for those who play in first person.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 31, 2011, 08:50:27 PM

Bethesda has a few... issues... that they struggle to overcome with every game they release.

and that whole checkpoint save system......

* CeeKay ducks

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

Well, as I'm grabbing the PC version, any and all issues with things like level scaling (I thought Skyrim used the Fallout version of it, which means that mobs have level caps on both the low and high end) will be no doubt solved once modders get to it. biggrin

But I'm getting this at launch no matter what issues it might have. Bethesda's games are always worth 100+ hours of gameplay on the first playthrough. And WELL worth revisiting again later once the modders have fixed any issues that should've been looked at beforehand.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

PC version for me as well. Should be the first game to really test my new video card.

Also, I suspected they wouldn't be able to get that much better than "upgraded Oblivion" considering they're still aiming for the same generation of consoles. They're only so many techniques and tricks you can use to make things look and run better, but eventually you still hit that same technical wall.

Can't wait until the next gen consoles, where hopefully they jump to 1GB or 2GB of memory so developers can do really interesting stuff.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

Granted I haven't seen the videos, but I can't believe anyone would seriously think it looks like just a moderately upgraded Oblivion, visually at least.  In general what I would guess most people are really saying is more like "It looks only slightly better than my years-old memories of Oblivion." smile  Ron would be the person to ask either way, considering he's playing right now.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 01, 2011, 05:21:54 PM

Granted I haven't seen the videos, but I can't believe anyone would seriously think it looks like just a moderately upgraded Oblivion, visually at least.  In general what I would guess most people are really saying is more like "It looks only slightly better than my years-old memories of Oblivion." smile  Ron would be the person to ask either way, considering he's playing right now.

Didn't you work there? Don't you get a complementary version of 'Skyrim' or something?  icon_razz
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »

Grabbing for PC this time around.  Did 360 for Oblivion and want to try PC this time around.  Can't wait

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 01, 2011, 06:18:35 PM

Grabbing for PC this time around.  Did 360 for Oblivion and want to try PC this time around.  Can't wait

Yeah, I'm picking up the PC version too. For all the possible modding down the road.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »

Same.  I was going to go 360 like I did with Oblivion but I've got a rig that can handle it this time around.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »

Granted I haven't seen the videos, but I can't believe anyone would seriously think it looks like just a moderately upgraded Oblivion, visually at least.  In general what I would guess most people are really saying is more like "It looks only slightly better than my years-old memories of Oblivion." smile  Ron would be the person to ask either way, considering he's playing right now.

Exactly. The graphic detail (at the very least, the character models) is drastically improved over what Oblivion had. I'm outright shocked just how good it looks considering that Oblivion was on the same console generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2011, 08:18:08 PM

Exactly. The graphic detail (at the very least, the character models) is drastically improved over what Oblivion had. I'm outright shocked just how good it looks considering that Oblivion was on the same console generation.

and hopefully the range of voices for the characters as well  paranoid

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 01, 2011, 06:05:57 PM

Didn't you work there? Don't you get a complementary version of 'Skyrim' or something?  icon_razz

I wish!  I didn't work on Skyrim at all though, so I wasn't expecting it smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 01, 2011, 08:43:28 PM

They've also said there's a lot more generic voice actors, so it won't be two people being the voices for an entire race (one male, one female).

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

I had the PC version on pre-order with Amazon but just canceled it.  I can't decide which version I want so I'll wait a week or so and see how the 360 version stacks up against the PC.  My PC can be problematical at times so the ease that comes with the 360 setup plus playing on the 47" tv with surround sound could be a better experience for me.  I have UC3 and Batman along with Forza to play while I figure this out.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2011, 09:19:07 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 01, 2011, 08:43:28 PM

They've also said there's a lot more generic voice actors, so it won't be two people being the voices for an entire race (one male, one female).

Up to and including Fallout New Vegas (in which I assume Bethesda had a large hand in the voice acting department), they haven't been able to do this properly. New Vegas actually got pretty bad because each faction had a limited few actors for it. If you ever visited the NCR base in the very southwest corner of the map, you'll have noticed how there's just one voice actor for every male character there.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »

First off, they've done from a dozen voices with Oblivion to 'over 70' with Skyrim. I do think they have the clone issue solved with this game. biggrin

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/03/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-trailer-examines-the-sounds-of-skyrim-advocates-warm-mead/
This interview/preview with the sound/music of the game shows that even Todd realized that the clone problem was a serious problem, and wanted it solved with Skyrim.

Quote from: Zinfan on November 05, 2011, 09:24:02 PM

I had the PC version on pre-order with Amazon but just canceled it.  I can't decide which version I want so I'll wait a week or so and see how the 360 version stacks up against the PC.  My PC can be problematical at times so the ease that comes with the 360 setup plus playing on the 47" tv with surround sound could be a better experience for me.  I have UC3 and Batman along with Forza to play while I figure this out.

I also read (I could've sworn on PC Gamer's site, but I can't find it) that the PC version will have higher resolution textures, different (smaller) font, more graphic features you can turn on and off, and of course, mod support. That said - the console versions (all the previews AFAIK have been on the 360) look fantastic.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »

Day One Patch

Bethesda representatives confirmed to Game Informer this afternoon that a patch update will be available upon Skyrim's release this Friday, November 11. The patch will be for all platforms.

and this part i have heard before
In a recent interview with Wired.com, Bethesda director Todd Howard says that downloadable content for Skyrim is already in the works and plans to release “substantial” pieces sometime after the game's launch..

“We’re not going to be doing a lot of it," Howard told Wired. "Our high-level thinking is that there’ll be not as many [pieces of DLC], but they’ll be bigger and more substantial. The goal overall is not necessarily to put out more content, but to make the game better.”

“We’ll start hitting on everything after vacation,” he said when asked about a release window. “We’ll take a break [after the game launches], see what consumers think of the game, then see which direction we want to go.”

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »

Modders (on the PC version) > Anything that Bethesda has ever put out in the past (and for free, too).

But it doesn't surprise me that they're planning DLC in the slightest.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »

looks like console players in the Netherregions can play already: http://kotaku.com/5857428/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-on-sale-now-in-the-netherlands

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

'Rim jobs in the Netherregions? I'm sticking to the PC thread, methinks.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »

Have they confirmed mod tools this time? I think I remember reading yes, but my memory has been crap as of late.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2011, 02:10:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2011, 12:58:48 AM

Have they confirmed mod tools this time? I think I remember reading yes, but my memory has been crap as of late.

Yep, it's confirmed.

New video!  Music is great-
http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/reaching-new-heights-world-skyrim-0/
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »

Is it Friday yet?!?

I watched the unboxing of the collector's edition on IGN. I don't think the pictures have done it justice. That figure that comes with it is freaking massive. My wife was giving the evil eye as I gave a running commentary about how awesome it would look in the house.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: