http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim  (Read 33142 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 08, 2011, 08:12:26 PM

I just imagine the problem like I had in Fallout where I explored a lot of the beginning and then everything got fixed so that the later game was too easy. Especially when it comes to something like a dragon, those guys should be super hard no matter when you first see them.

Many (most) areas in Fallout 3 also have minimum level lock-ins as well as maximum.  Meaning you can't just wander the world at level 1 and have everything lock-in as super easy.  Also a lot of places are just fixed level.  The fundamental problem is simply that it's very difficult to maintain balance for the far end of dozens and dozens of hours of player gameplay in an open-world game.  The player just has too many opportunities to beat the curve.  But take away those opportunities and the game feels restrictive.  I don't know what Bethesda is doing exactly for Skyrim leveling, but I think the assumption has to be that they'll start with the Fallout 3 system and work to improve it.

Got to sneak into the live Skyrim demo yesterday afternoon.  They had a pretty sweet setup.  The sound was just incredible.  The noise when a dragon comes down and lands is unbelievably huge and shook the room with bass.  People in the rows in front of me sat back in their chairs when the thing roared.  
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »

Quote from: kathode on June 09, 2011, 04:28:02 AM

Many (most) areas in Fallout 3 also have minimum level lock-ins as well as maximum.  Meaning you can't just wander the world at level 1 and have everything lock-in as super easy.  Also a lot of places are just fixed level.  The fundamental problem is simply that it's very difficult to maintain balance for the far end of dozens and dozens of hours of player gameplay in an open-world game.  The player just has too many opportunities to beat the curve.  But take away those opportunities and the game feels restrictive.  I don't know what Bethesda is doing exactly for Skyrim leveling, but I think the assumption has to be that they'll start with the Fallout 3 system and work to improve it.

I'm not sure what specifically was done to change it, but the scaling system in Fallout: NV worked well for me. Deathclaws were always a threat, even at the end of the game, as were super mutants. Even the giant rad scorpions would pose a challenge when in groups. All I want is that the enemies that are supposed to be tough (dragons, giants and mammoths I assume, etc) are tough no matter when I first meet them or how powerful I get. And they should be almost instant kills if I run into them early in the game. Otherwise it sort of lessens the impact of leveling and growing stronger.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

Q&A-25 Questions

Tavern brawls!!!!! icon_biggrin

if it was ever in doubt
25) Will you be able to carry on after the main story?
Todd: Yes, absolutely.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »

please excuse the drool  drool

Major Nelson

Today Bethesda announced the The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition for $149.99. In addition to including the game, this premium version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim also includes:

* Alduin Statue. Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector’s only statue stands 12” tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater. He stands perched atop one the game’s many dragon walls that teach the player the lethal language of dragons.

* ‘The Art of Skyrim’ Official Art Book. Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8” x 12 1/8” coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game’s iconic visual style.

* ‘The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ DVD. This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »

$90 is an awful lot for a statue and an art book.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »

As Todd Howard has said, $60 is way too much for a game.  I agree. biggrin

I'll get Skyrim GOTY when it's $30.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »

0_o; Dammit. There goes the wallet.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 02:03:45 AM »

I got both ES3 and ES4 CE editions.  but yes, 90 is a bit much for a book I will page through once, a dvd that I won't end up watching and a dragon statue that will only end up next to the big daddy from bioshock and the fallout 3 bobblehead.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »

character screenshots
Teamxbox

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »

The 1st orc with the grey hair looks cool, as does the nord with the blonde hair.  Not sure about the high elf and dark elf.  The argonians look suitably reptilian.  Much more detail than Oblivion, including manly hair on the arms.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »

Mmmmm if the xbox shots look that nice, the PC version is going to rock.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on August 16, 2011, 03:58:13 PM

TXB haven't actually said that those shots are from the 360 version(i know they are TXB,but still),however all the demos of the game we have seen up to now(at E3 etc) are from the 360 version so it wouldn't surprise me if they are,because the demos have looked great

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »

Wow...the dunmer has arms as big around as my thighs.  I think he's even more buff than the 2 orcs.  HGH?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 16, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

TXB haven't actually said that those shots are from the 360 version(i know they are TXB,but still),however all the demos of the game we have seen up to now(at E3 etc) are from the 360 version so it wouldn't surprise me if they are,because the demos have looked great

I think most, if not all, of these shots are ones journalists created in their hands-on time with the game, so they should be from the 360 version.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 16, 2011, 08:29:24 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 16, 2011, 04:14:56 PM

I think most, if not all, of these shots are ones journalists created in their hands-on time with the game, so they should be from the 360 version.

That makes sense, cause if you're showing off a game, you don't want to show off the best version.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »

I can't wait for PC modders to get their hands on this game and make it look better  ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2011, 02:03:45 AM

I got both ES3 and ES4 CE editions.  but yes, 90 is a bit much for a book I will page through once, a dvd that I won't end up watching and a dragon statue that will only end up next to the big daddy from bioshock and the fallout 3 bobblehead.

But the statue is made of PVC (whatever that is)!!!

lol this one is a hard sell even for me.  There's not a single in-game feature which is kind of a downer.  I may put my pre-order in to be safe, and change my mind later.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »

PVC is a type of plastic
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »

I don't think that is correct.  They did a big press event recently and all I'm seeing are the same images.  I think Bethesda gave them a package of shots to use, which is pretty typical in those situations.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on August 17, 2011, 08:45:52 AM

I don't think that is correct.  They did a big press event recently and all I'm seeing are the same images.  I think Bethesda gave them a package of shots to use, which is pretty typical in those situations.

Bethesda sent out screenshots of their characters, the websites posted them, and then they got passed around as new screenshots.  There's a partial listing here, and you can see some of the characters shown in the earlier post.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 17, 2011, 11:05:57 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on August 17, 2011, 08:45:52 AM

Bethesda sent out screenshots of their characters, the websites posted them, and then they got passed around as new screenshots.  There's a partial listing here, and you can see some of the characters shown in the earlier post.

So bottom line is... we don't know if these are from the crap version or the best version?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »

If you can't tell from the pictures, perhaps you should revise your opinion of "crap".

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 17, 2011, 12:22:09 PM

If you can't tell from the pictures, perhaps you should revise your opinion of "crap".

perhaps he's speaking relatively.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »

got a few more here from GameInformer

Holy shit its a Raider from Fallout 3!! icon_biggrin

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »

I hope those screens are from the 360. While they are considerably better looking than Oblivion, it's going to look a little dated if it looks like that on the PC.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

hate to say, but all of their games in this series has always looked outdated when they came out.  Bad animation is always expected as well.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »

It must be really difficult to model a cat/humanoid, I don't think any of the Khajit models have looked good in any of their previous games.  I liked some of the unmodded Morrowind heads (Dark Elf and Orc come to mind) better than anything I could mash together in Oblivion.  I don't have a lot of patience for a bazillion customization sliders.  Just give me some good stock heads to choose from, and I'm good.  The problem with Oblivion is that we just had the freaky random mash up...and my own artistic talent (read: no talent).       
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »

it's funny how much people care about this(hey,don't get me wrong,i am one of them),when most of the game or probably all for me you wont even see your characters head...only if you use Third Person view,will you be able to see your characters head as there are no cutscenes(usually)

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 17, 2011, 07:12:20 PM

it's funny how much people care about this(hey,don't get me wrong,i am one of them),when most of the game or probably all for me you wont even see your characters head...only if you use Third Person view,will you be able to see your characters head as there are no cutscenes(usually)

True, but assuming they use the same character generation tools to create the NPCs, you will be looking at those quite a bit.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:59 AM »

There's a reason we always referred to 3rd person as "vanity mode" smile People love playing dress up and looking at themselves.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 16, 2011, 11:43:14 PM

PVC is a type of plastic

Polyvinyl chloride  Think plastic plumbing pipe.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 18, 2011, 02:46:56 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 16, 2011, 11:43:14 PM

PVC is a type of plastic

Polyvinyl chloride  Think plastic plumbing pipe.

i think of double glazing windows when i see PVC(not the glass obviously)
Spoiler for Hiden:

kotaku have all the character pictures here,but with one more..LOOK!! DOGGIES!!....just like Fallout 3/Fable ..but better Tongue

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 18, 2011, 01:24:59 AM

There's a reason we always referred to 3rd person as "vanity mode" smile People love playing dress up and looking at themselves.

Or people just hate first person melee combat and would rather have a feel for their surroundings.  Those thoughts that 3rd person is only a "vanity mode" kept me from buying your games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

I guess some people find first person melee too scary slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »

Scary?  I think I was more scared of the crappy animations...  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

Wow. A serious step up from Oblivion. At least they don't look like giant bloated faces of ick like they did in Oblivion without some slider work.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »

some of the presets for the races,looks like Bethesda have really gone to town this time

BethBlog

Breton

Dark Elf

High Elf

Imperial

Orc

Nord

Khajiit

Redguard

Woodelf

Argonian

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »

Alright, bored with the character models, so show something else Bethesda!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2011, 07:11:27 PM

Alright, bored with the character models, so show something else Bethesda!

from Kotaku

Tongue

the game will be playable at PAX,so i am sure we will see something new then

there is also this video from CVG which shows footage(not new) and an interview with Todd Howard where he talks about DLC

"between Point Lookout for Fallout 3 and Shivering Isles for Oblivion" in scale.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

The High Elves look like the vampires from Buffy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: