http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Impressions, tweaks and more!  (Read 60813 times)
raydude
Gaming Trend Senior Member

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 07, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 07, 2011, 05:37:31 PM

The first time I played that section I also went with him, just to see what would happen.  And, any movie buff knows that splitting up in the woods after someone says, "It's probably better if we split up", is a horrible idea. 

Especially after you just survived a dragon attack that wiped out an entire village.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »

Lord stone is my preference.   :-)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 07, 2011, 06:00:46 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 07, 2011, 04:23:28 PM

If you guys haven't heard of it, you may want to check out the Steed Stone.  It gives you +100 to your carry weight and your armor doesn't add to encumbrance.  A life saver for me, personally.  Although I've heard they may have broken the armor part of that in the 1.2 patch...

Oh, and I had no idea that first guy was supposed to lead you to those stones, but I did find them anyway since I was exploring all options around those initial paths.

eek

Where is this wonderful stone??

North West of Solitude

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 07, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

Apparently 1.3 is out for the PC.  I'm at work but will try it later.

From the official forums:
Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

•General stability improvements

•Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)

•Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles

•Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly

•Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

•Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading

•Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:20:02 PM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 07, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »

Skyrim wont launch now.  Click on play and the screen goes away then immediately pops back up.  Steam is up and running doesnt show the game being updated.

Figured it out.  Right click game go to properties verify integrity of cache files and once it is done the updater kicked off.  After it loaded the update I could launch the game correctly again.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:16:25 PM by drifter » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: December 08, 2011, 01:12:53 AM »

I played for a few hours earlier today after the patch hit and didn't see any new issues.  The resistances thing, which wasn't that noticeable on my current build anyway, does seem to be fixed.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 08, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »

Just played for a few hours myself, and it worked like a charm. I swear they nerfed "sneak" with one of these patches, though. I am maxed out with about 120% in extra enchantments and I am getting spotted in situations where I used to be invisible. Not a bug though, I assume.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 08, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

beat the main story just in time for star wars. how anti climatic. still want to finish up the imperial stuff though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

just found out something neat.  I was sneaking throug a mine, and kept on hitting an area where things blew up but for the life of me couldn't find a tripwire or anything.  finally noticed a shimmering in the air, and was scratching ym head at what was causing the gas to explode.  finally it hit me:  I had firebolt out in my left hand, and the fire effect from the spell on my hand was setting it off.  put it away and I was fine, but damn if that isn't a cool side effect of having the spell readied.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 08, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 08, 2011, 10:49:42 AM

beat the main story just in time for star wars. how anti climatic. still want to finish up the imperial stuff though.

Yeah, I had to double check to make sure I indeed had finished the main story.

About loot. I've been feeling like I'm missing the good stuff or something. I haven't found anything worth mentioning, for a warrior, archer type anyway.
I'm wearing gear I got off one of the mob types. An ok two hander, but in general I never get much from chests and such. Potions, potions, potions...Lots of robes and staffs...but swords,axes,hammers and bows and jewelery for me, not much at all. I'm playing on Adept if that makes a difference. I'm still going to play for a long while yet so maybe stuff picks up later on..

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 08, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 08, 2011, 10:49:42 AM

Thats my goal for this weekend.  Finish up the main story.  I will forgo exploring (still have places I discovered but never entered) and finish the main quest cause I know when swtor hit I will be engrossed

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: December 08, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

Just finished the main story myself. Was surprisingly short, actually. May have something to do with how the story progressed for me. It was mostly a variation of this:

- "Dovakhin, I need you to go to an ancient dungeon and retrieve an important artifact we'll need to succeed in our quest."
- "What, you mean this artifact I'm holding right here in my hand?"
- "Uh, yes actually. Where... How... Nevermind. Now we need to find a person who has been lost to us for a while."
- "Yeah, I think I know who you mean. I ran into him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't very talkative."
- "You what? But... How... I mean..."
- "So, ready to go kill the dragons yet?"

This happened multiple times during the main storyline.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »

I decided to stop randomly exploring and started up the 7,000 steps. However, I'm only at level 11 and Lydia & I are getting our collective asses handed to us by a dang Snow Troll. Repeatedly. Do I need to level up a wee bit more or are there some tips/tricks out there to stop it from swatting me into oblivion?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 08, 2011, 01:55:57 PM

Just finished the main story myself. Was surprisingly short, actually. May have something to do with how the story progressed for me. It was mostly a variation of this:

- "Dovakhin, I need you to go to an ancient dungeon and retrieve an important artifact we'll need to succeed in our quest."
- "What, you mean this artifact I'm holding right here in my hand?"
- "Uh, yes actually. Where... How... Nevermind. Now we need to find a person who has been lost to us for a while."
- "Yeah, I think I know who you mean. I ran into him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't very talkative."
- "You what? But... How... I mean..."
- "So, ready to go kill the dragons yet?"

This happened multiple times during the main storyline.

Indeed - I did tell you it was the main storyline you were taking part in ;-)

I do like quite a lot though, how it doesn't break the game, like previous open world games where you could inadvertently explore too much beforehand.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 08, 2011, 01:58:16 PM

I decided to stop randomly exploring and started up the 7,000 steps. However, I'm only at level 11 and Lydia & I are getting our collective asses handed to us by a dang Snow Troll. Repeatedly. Do I need to level up a wee bit more or are there some tips/tricks out there to stop it from swatting me into oblivion?

that's where i kept getting stuck,and i was on my own...it was probably one of the hardest parts of the whole game for me,everything after that hasn't been much of a problem,or else i have dealt with it even though tough

FWIW-the troll is the last bad guy on those steps,and also Trolls don't like Fire.....oh,but i kept on jumping up the mountain sides where he couldn't reach me,took a while to get him to die because he would then walk off,so i had to keep getting down,shout and wave my arms until he saw me and then run back to my jumping spot...oh,and at that level you will notice like i did his health regenerating

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »

My mage back peddled and burnt it down no problem.

My warrior had to sprint past it while it beat on lydia...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »

Good to know he's the last obstacle and I've tried the Fire Staff that I have and gotten close a couple of times but it always eventually  closes on and kills me. Funny, I usually level up from 11 to 12 during the fight and it still kills me. I'll keep on dancing...

-craig

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 08, 2011, 02:13:42 PM

Good to know he's the last obstacle and I've tried the Fire Staff that I have and gotten close a couple of times but it always eventually  closes on and kills me. Funny, I usually level up from 11 to 12 during the fight and it still kills me. I'll keep on dancing...

Remember, if you enter the menu and level up during the fight, your health, mana and stamina will automagically heal up to full!

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 08, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 08, 2011, 02:17:28 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 08, 2011, 02:13:42 PM

Remember, if you enter the menu and level up during the fight, your health, mana and stamina will automagically heal up to full!

I know, I know! That's been the fun part, I level up because we are going toe-to-toe, blocking and whacking away and I get the level up notice and then think 'Hey, I can... oh damn, death animation'.  icon_frown  icon_lol

-craig

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 08, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 08, 2011, 02:12:03 PM

I tried and failed to sneak past, ran away, and then the troll got distracted chasing a poor gal on her pilgrimage, allowing me to sprint past his cave.  Bravely run away away...
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: December 08, 2011, 02:56:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 08, 2011, 11:02:28 AM

just found out something neat.  I was sneaking throug a mine, and kept on hitting an area where things blew up but for the life of me couldn't find a tripwire or anything.  finally noticed a shimmering in the air, and was scratching ym head at what was causing the gas to explode.  finally it hit me:  I had firebolt out in my left hand, and the fire effect from the spell on my hand was setting it off.  put it away and I was fine, but damn if that isn't a cool side effect of having the spell readied.

I had a similar event that made me appreciate the game more.  I was on a quest where I had to set something on fire.  I got to the object and scratched my head at why I wasn't getting a "Press X to set on fire!" prompt.  Was I just not aiming at the right trigger point?

Then I remembered I was playing an Elder Scrolls game.  Brought out a torch I had in my inventory, maneuvered to touch it to the object, and sure enough it worked.

It's those "roleplay the situation, stupid!" moments that really endear me to the series.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2011, 02:49:59 PM

Quote from: Morgul on December 08, 2011, 02:12:03 PM

I tried and failed to sneak past, ran away, and then the troll got distracted chasing a poor gal on her pilgrimage, allowing me to sprint past his cave.  Bravely run away away...

Her name wouldn't be Karita would it?...she and me fought a Dragon where she was praying and i hid behind a rock while she got killed(*ahem*),later on in the game a group of thugs jumped me,hired by Karita,so the question is how did she hire the thugs if she died,but then again....funnily enough i am not sure if its the same girl,but there is a Karita in the Dawnstar Inn,if it is the same one,she has made a great recovery from being dead!!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 08, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 08, 2011, 04:34:55 PM

Her name wouldn't be Karita would it?...she and me fought a Dragon where she was praying and i hid behind a rock while she got killed(*ahem*),later on in the game a group of thugs jumped me,hired by Karita,so the question is how did she hire the thugs if she died,but then again....funnily enough i am not sure if its the same girl,but there is a Karita in the Dawnstar Inn,if it is the same one,she has made a great recovery from being dead!!

Whooo, duh doo.  Look who knows so much, eh.  Well it just so happens that your friend Karita was only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.   Now, mostly dead is slightly alive.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 08, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »

I had a Companion's NPC surprise the shit out of me when he suddenly appeared alive and well in the Companion's Lodge after meeting his demise much earlier in the game.  He was breaking bread and eating with the rest of his shield brothers and sisters.  I just rolled with it.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was dead.  Hey buddy, um...good to see you.  How have things been?  Anything new?

Regarding the snow troll towards the end of the 7,000 step journey, there's no shame in sprinting past him and running into the building.  You can always play it off like you were just getting in some exercise.  Besides, I don't think the bearded guys care how you get there.  

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2011, 02:56:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 08, 2011, 11:02:28 AM

I had a similar event that made me appreciate the game more.  I was on a quest where I had to set something on fire.  I got to the object and scratched my head at why I wasn't getting a "Press X to set on fire!" prompt.  Was I just not aiming at the right trigger point?

Then I remembered I was playing an Elder Scrolls game.  Brought out a torch I had in my inventory, maneuvered to touch it to the object, and sure enough it worked.

It's those "roleplay the situation, stupid!" moments that really endear me to the series.

You can also just cast your flame spell.  icon_biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 08, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »

My character is a muggle.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 08, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 08, 2011, 05:10:55 PM

Whooo, duh doo.  Look who knows so much, eh.  Well it just so happens that your friend Karita was only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.   Now, mostly dead is slightly alive.

icon_lol

are you suggesting it's true love that brought her back,because if so....
Spoiler for Hiden:

I'll just have to marry her

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 08, 2011, 07:03:31 PM

Quote from: Arkon on December 08, 2011, 05:10:55 PM

icon_lol

are you suggesting it's true love that brought her back,because if so....
Spoiler for Hiden:

I'll just have to marry her

Of course not...before she collapsed, I heard her say to blave, and as we all know, to blave means to bluff, eh. So you were probably playing cards and she cheated, so you took her out to meet a dragon!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

Now I have an odd craving for an MLT...

ninja
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 08, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 08, 2011, 07:11:04 PM

Of course not...before she collapsed, I heard her say to blave, and as we all know, to blave means to bluff, eh. So you were probably playing cards and she cheated, so you took her out to meet a dragon!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 09, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »

ENBseries mod:  http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2971

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-L-HT2YmqUY

WHAT IS IT:
It's graphic enhancement with big amount of controls for users, you may tweak how game looks like by yourself, add post processing shader effects to it.

WHAT IT CAN:
Modify brightess in HDR for clouds, stars, aurora, sun, moons (sun and moons textures must be unchanged at first pixel color on them, gray and black accordinly), sun corona, sun light, ambient light, textures gamma. SSAO gives high quality look of character's skin (and not only). Eye adaptation is not annoying as in vanilla game and could be modified (in enbseries.fx shader file in beta). Additional post processing fx can be found on my web site or in the i-net (i can do some by request).

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 09, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 08, 2011, 07:11:44 PM

Now I have an odd craving for an MLT...

ninja

icon_lol

-craig

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 09, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »

Doing the Companion series of quests...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got the witches heads for the old man of the companions. The head will supposedly cure the werewolf curse, of which I am a victim. When I returned to him I find him dead, at the hands of the silver-hands. No word on how I use the heads to make a cure. The quest is in my completed section. Do I hang onto the heads and will something present itself later on to use them?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 09, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 09, 2011, 02:35:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just got the witches heads for the old man of the companions. The head will supposedly cure the werewolf curse, of which I am a victim. When I returned to him I find him dead, at the hands of the silver-hands. No word on how I use the heads to make a cure. The quest is in my completed section. Do I hang onto the heads and will something present itself later on to use them?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got 4 of them in my chest at the house.  Never did figure out what good they are, but I kept them.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of the curse however, I never use it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 09, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 09, 2011, 02:41:37 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got 4 of them in my chest at the house.  Never did figure out what good they are, but I kept them.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of the curse however, I never use it.

I couldn't even put them in a chest, it said they were quest items.

Spoiler for Hiden:
there are 3 quests left for the Companion storyline IIRC, and the final one is the one that uses the heads.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 09, 2011, 02:55:46 PM

Quote from: Morgul on December 09, 2011, 02:41:37 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

I couldn't even put them in a chest, it said they were quest items.

Spoiler for Hiden:
there are 3 quests left for the Companion storyline IIRC, and the final one is the one that uses the heads.

Try the chest in your bedroom at the breezehome..
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 09, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »

Unfortuantely my Companion's quest line is stuck due to a bugged, "Kill Escaped Criminal" quest.  I have no map or compass arrow for the quest, and the criminal is nowhere to be found.  It seems to be a known issue.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 10, 2011, 06:23:27 AM »

I'm posting this in both the PC and console Skyrim threads in hopes that it can help someone else avoid the same quest problem I've encountered now...

After 48 hours of playing, I hit my first significant quest bug in the game tonight...one that makes it impossible to become the Thane of Riften and buy a house there.  I'll give the details here so that maybe someone else can avoid the same problem.  I don't think describing this problem really warrants spoiler tags as it doesn't really give away anything significant...

In order to become Thane of Riften, you have to complete a series of quests to stop the skooma trade in Riften.  The third part of this quest line requires you to clear a group of dark elves from Cragslane Cave.  Unfortunately, that location is along the road on your way to Riften, and if you stop there and clear the cave along the way to the town (prior to receiving the quest from the Jarl of Riften), it will irreversibly break the quest because the enemies you need to kill to accomplish the goal will no longer be there when the jarl sends you to kill them.  If you want to become Thane of Riften and buy the house there, you have to avoid visiting Cragslane Cave until the appropriate time.

I did a little search to see if this was a common problem and it looks to be a very consistent bug that affects anyone who clears the cave too soon.  A console command has been identified to fix the quest on PC, but those of us playing on a console are out of luck unless you go back to an earlier save.  In my case, that would mean giving up about 8 hours of play...not something I'm willing to do just for another house icon_mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 10, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »

Any chance you have that console command to fix the quest on the PC?

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 10, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Dunamis on December 10, 2011, 06:39:30 AM

Any chance you have that console command to fix the quest on the PC?

This is what I came across when I was looking it up...

Code:
SetObjectiveCompleted FreeformRiften01 30 1
SetStage FreeformRiften01 40

The first command is supposed to set the 'Disrupt the Skooma Trade' stage in Cragslane Cave to a 'complete' state without actually completing the goal.  The second command activates the next stage of the quest, and you should be able to proceed normally from there. 

Those commands should do the trick, but I'm playing on the xbox and have no way of testing it myself...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: