http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Impressions, tweaks and more!  (Read 52782 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 10, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »

thanks arc...i'll just go with my original plan.  grab a six pack on the way home, eat some dinner, watch a little tv, then nap for a couple of hours and wake up at 11 to play a couple of hours of skyrim before hitting the sack again.

...ah, the life of a giant nerd.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 10, 2011, 05:49:30 PM

VPN-S must be getting whacked hard. They have over 10 Australian servers to choose from..aptly named,,Australian Skyrim 1 etc...
Can't connect to any of them though. Probably lost my 2 buck fee, but it was worth a shot.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until midnight for unlock. I'll be on the lookout for this VPN thing on the next super-major release.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 10, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 10, 2011, 06:28:10 PM

VPN-S must be getting whacked hard. They have over 10 Australian servers to choose from..aptly named,,Australian Skyrim 1 etc...
Can't connect to any of them though. Probably lost my 2 buck fee, but it was worth a shot.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until midnight for unlock. I'll be on the lookout for this VPN thing on the next super-major release.

You able to get a loin cloth?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 10, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2011, 06:35:34 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 10, 2011, 06:28:10 PM

You able to get a loin cloth?

loin cloth? What you talkin' about? I've a whole outfit.  nod
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

So, tried the game a bit - The UI interface is horrible...really, really console centric. The game though, is incredible! Its morrowind 2!

A new one
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »

OK, very initial impressions:

First, yes, it's very pretty. YMMV based on hardware, of course (for reference, my hardware: Win7 x64, Core i7 920, GTX 570, 16 GB RAM). We all knew it was going to be gorgeous. My only graphical criticism is that I still think Elvish faces look weird and I expect modders will still work on those -- the entirely-human and the entirely-alien (Khajit, Orcish, Argonian) races look very good, however.

Second, the introduction is very much according to Bethesda's formula, holding your hand through character creation and an initial setpiece. Character customization is pretty much what you'd expect these days. I don't think it really breaks any new ground but all the options from dirt, scars and makeup to changing chin height or how often your character gets her eyebrows plucked are there. The intro does let you look around the very pretty world quite a bit, reminiscent of the Half-Life train ride, but I wasn't a fan of the premise behind it: you're going to execute my character right at the beginning of the game? Really? This is going to be a very short game. The fact that you don't actually get killed is, therefore, a pretty stunning anticlimax. And then a second really obvious thing happens (really obvious if you've read even ten words about what this game is about) but at least it looks cool while it's happening.

After that sequence ended, I behaved like a good little lemming and went to the first village that I was told to visit, where I met a nice blacksmith and wife, who let me rest in their home (although she told me I was very pretty and should be careful to stay away from her husband), and the owner of the general store, who told me some thieves had stolen a trinket from his store and would I please to go the barrow where they're camping to get it back. Retrieving the trinket sounded simple but took the rest of my morning, as it turned into a pretty lengthy dungeon crawl, complete with an oversized spider, some undead and a couple of puzzle rooms. I was very impressed with the whole set up, and especially with the trick to solving the last puzzle (note: Bethesda is not being pointlessly extravagant by making the pictures of items in your inventory fully-rotatable 3D models. I'm just saying...). It was also nice that the world map indicated "Cleared" on that location when I'd finished with it.

Speaking of the world map, it's very pretty and dynamic (it seems to respond to the day-night cycle just like the world) but I wish it zoomed more, I wish I could turn off the cloud cover so I could see the ground more clearly and I wish there was an in-game legend for the various icons. Another UI-related gripe is that the Skills screen is annoyingly cumbersome. The expected plethora of skills are all there and I like the level-up-perks system itself but there needs to be a quicker way to browse them. As it is, there's no way to group the schools you're going to care about together (to avoid having to constantly scroll past the ones you don't) and you have to mouse over each perk individually to see what it does, with no way to view them all (or even just the perks within a single school) at once.

I also poked around the blacksmith's forge and tried crafting a little. It seems like a very viable crafting system, and felt very typical of some MMO systems, with converting hides into leather and other parts and then combining them with metal to create armor, but I was also reminded of just how much I hate the "craft crap a million times to get better" leveling system. It's one thing to make you improve your swinging-a-sword skill by bashing some skeleton heads in over and over, because 1) you're going to be doing that anyway and 2) it's fun to do, but having to craft so many items from hides or iron before I can even take the perk to craft steel items, and then repeat that so I can take the perk to make dwarvish items, and so on, is just tedious.

I did very much like the freedom to be both a sword-bearer and a magic-wielder at the same time. Lighting people on fire while cutting them down is fun. I can't really offer much depth about the combat at Level 3, though (especially without equipping a shield, combat does feel pretty simple right now, but that's a character choice not an indictment of the system). Routine fights have seemed pretty easy but the aforementioned oversized spider was tough and getting into 3-4 easy fights in a row without giving my health a chance to recover (yes, it does auto-regenerate between combat) got me pretty close to death a couple times. I'm playing on the default setting, Adept, which appears to be difficulty 3/5.

That's about everything I can think of for now. Time to go play some more so I can have more impressions!

- Ash
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 10, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »

I'm guessing one of the first PC mods will be a UI based one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:53:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »

from all the Xbox 360 videos we have seen,how much better does the PC version look?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »

(PR skim-reads Asharak's impressions)

ARGH! Come on, midnight!

Nothing sucks more than having to work on the day of a major release.  nod
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:01:19 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 10, 2011, 06:49:51 PM

(PR skim-reads Asharak's impressions)

ARGH! Come on, midnight!

Nothing sucks more than having to work on the day or a major release.  nod

Working every other day too?

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 10, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »

OK, alt-tabbing out to share two noteable voice actors I've encountered so far: Michael Hogan, Galactica's Saul Tigh, makes an early appearance and I recognize Claudia Christian, Bablyon 5's Susan Ivanova, as well.

I like games that use cool voice actors.

- Ash
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »

got to make sure I have at least a 12 pack of Yuengling in the fridge plus snacks.  wish there was a place around here that carried mead but oh well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »

Watching GiantBomb's 12 hour playthrough that started this morning.

Pretty sure I want this game, but the 360 (and likely the PS3) versions don't look that much better than Oblivion, but it seems like the gameplay has improved a little.

I still wish they would allow monsters to attack while moving, thus removing one of the oddities of the game which was the combat where you just kept moving back while swinging wildly. Although, I doubt they have any extra memory to set aside for a good animation blending system.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »

well I didn't get a chance to play last night. Stayed up until 730 and the damn download was still going. VPN was so slow.

I just finished the little tutorial thing. If you have a 360 controller hooked up the game stupidly defaults to that and I didn't see any options to change it short of unplugging. Pretty sure FO3 did this too. Stupid.

The graphics aren't too bad, but not as omg awesome as I thought they would be. I'm running high with a some sliders up too.

I like the dual wielding. It was pretty sweet in bioshock 2 too. Should add some depth.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

Damn, I read a few more impressions and now I can't wait to get home from work.  Uncharted 3, MW3, Dark Souls and BF3 might not get any love for a really long time even though they are really fun.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 10, 2011, 08:48:24 PM

Damn, I read a few more impressions and now I can't wait to get home from work.  Uncharted 3, MW3, Dark Souls and BF3 might not get any love for a really long time even though they are really fun.

Or 'League Of Legends'.. though for me, no game seems to keep away from LoL for long.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »

So... where's the GT review? I seem to recall a promise that it was gonna be up the day before release.  nod
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »

So I went ahead and used the VPN trick in order to get steam to unlock my copy.  I have played roughly 4-5 hours at this point and I must say I am having a blast.  I am playing at the adept difficulty level, and have had quite a few hairy battles and a number of deaths already.  My biggest difficulty right now is trying to determine where I want to spend my perk points.  I am trying to play as a cross between a thief and a mage.  Have been using 1 handed weapons, mainly daggers, as well as destruction and restoration spells.  I know I want to max out smithing, down the light armor side, but beyond that I have no clue.

Turtle, I could be mistaken but I could swear I have been hit by swords and spells by NPCs who were moving, but I also noticed that back peddling rarely let me get enough distance to keep out of weapon range.

I am running on an older system, GTX 280, Q9450 Core2Quad at 2.66GHz, and 4 GB of RAM.  The launcher autodetected settings at high, and performance has been rock solid.  A fe shots to give an idea of how it looks are attached.

I have noticed an odd sheen/reflectiveness on rock surfaces, could be my drivers, not sure.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »

How long did the unlock take, if I may be so bold?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2011, 10:09:42 PM

The combination of decrypting files/first time setup took around 30 minutes for me.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 10, 2011, 10:14:27 PM

The combination of decrypting files/first time setup took around 30 minutes for me.

That's a looooong time.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: November 10, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 10, 2011, 10:47:53 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 10, 2011, 10:14:27 PM

That's a looooong time.

Took somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes for me.

I've played the game for about 2 hours so far. Will write down my impressions tomorrow, but I can say that the game certainly doesn't feel like it was made for PC. I feel like I'm juggling my way through a console interface using the wrong type of controller. For all the criticism Oblivion got for consolitis, this is worse. The game also feels a bit clunky initially.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow. smile
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 11, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »

Fallout NV was sublime using a controller on the PC. I'm not going to even bother trying to play with a mouse and keyboard as I know they didn't spend much time making it play nice.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 11, 2011, 03:18:08 AM »

Ive been playing for about a hour so far. I got my new 580GTX card today as well. Running on ultra is amazing. The vistas and water are amazing to look at. But we knew that didn't we....Graphics are top notch in every department.
Controls, yep they seem convoluted for the sake of being convoluted........consolitis I imagine.
Thought I'd go with a Nord for the first walk through. Probably going to major on two-handers and restoration. But I know very little about the point allocation at this point in the game, so I'll be doing a bit of hit and miss I suppose, for a while anyway.

Of course it has the same feel as the others in the series, but the "atmosphere" to me feels better. Not going to comment on too much else, waaaay too early in the game to be making any kind of judgement calls or opinions.
But I really think this will be the best one yet, just have that feeling.

By Thors hammer!!!! I shall prevail..................little bit of cheese with your wine.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »

I'm not that impressed with the graphics; I think I'm spoiled by games like Witcher 2.  Why is the hair such low quality? (and I'm playing on Ultra)  Anyway, it's not really a complaint.  Graphics are good enough, just not jaw dropping.  I'm more interested in what else the game has to offer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »

damn, took about 3 minutes to decrypt.  cover me boys, I'm going in!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »

and had the game freeze up on me during the tutorial section.  luckily I quicksave often.

game looks great with everything maxed out, but the animations seem a bit stiff.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »

meet Carver of Morrowind:

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:58 AM »

Played about 90 mins as a Dark Elf and again no tutorial for magic.  Messed around a bit to figure it out.  Thinking of going One hand and Destruction.   Done for the evening and I will pick it up in the morning.

Btw my 550 GT defaulted to High but I pushed it to Ultra and I haven't experienced any hiccups.  Getting very smooth frame rates.

UI is ugly and suffers from consolitis. I hope this is modded soon

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:51 AM »

Played for about 90 minutes as well and had no problems with the game.  I'm running at Ultra and the graphics are great, not awesome but everything is smooth so I like it.  I'm playing with a controller and it works very well but I'm used to other games and keep hitting the back button to wait when I want to pull up the menu, you can change the button layout which is nice and I may do some tinkering. You can use the keyboard with the controller which I use for quicksaving so I don't have to go to the menu for, that's a good thing.  The menus are nice and again with the controller very easy to use and the favorites is a welcome addition since the game stops when you access it so you can change out inventory easily.   I can see with a ton of items though that you maybe doing a lot of scrolling which could become tedious. 

I went with a dark elf and going to try sneaking and magic instead of a sword warrior although I do use a sword on occasion.  I feel so far that I'm pretty overpowered by using magic.  I've fought some enemies and they go down pretty fast with fire, I fended off 5 wolves without taking much damage.  I looked and the difficulty is set to adept with 2 other options for harder settings but not sure how that changes things.  Maybe I missed something but I'm have a hard time telling if a person is an enemy or friendly from a distance, one woman did look like she was in an attack form and when I stepped back she went back to normal but for others I only know once they start attacking me.  I am playing with the cross hair off, but it does show when you are in stealth mode.  I did get to level 2 and there were so many perks to go through it's pretty overwhelming, so it looks to be a ton of customizing which is awesome, but I don't know what to choose.   

This is something small but I thought pretty cool.  I was sneaking around without my weapon drawn and then I heard something so I pulled out my bow and the screen shifted like you would normally do to pull the bow off your back, it's the little touches like that, that draw you in.   

I was supposed to be off a half day tomorrow but not sure if that's going to work out, but luckily I do have next week off.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »

Hah, dark elf bow and magic guy here as well!! Interesting how we all end up choosing that? Loving the game so far - Exploring my very first dungeon was...awesome and just as tense as in morrowind - LOVE the sounds in the game..simply brilliantly enhancing the atmosphere.

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: November 11, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »

Hmmm, Amazon was supposed to be giving me "Release Day Delivery" but tracking shows that it just got scanned in at UPS in CA tonight.  I think I'm not getting my copy tomorrow.   disgust

Sandwiches do fix everything.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »

Impressions after playing two hours:

--Very thorough character creator. You could play at making your toon up for hours.
--Playing with graphics set to medium settings. Even on these settings, everything looks amazing. Game runs smooth on my Athlon XP 5000, 3GB Ram, GeForce 9800, Windows XP rig.
--In one word: Mahvelous!

Will continue to play first thing in the morning! Will post more then!
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 10, 2011, 03:14:52 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on November 10, 2011, 02:44:54 PM

I haven't bought it yet, partly because I was waiting on the reviews (got burned big-time on Oblivion) and partly because I don't have any time to play it right now.

weren't the reviews kinda favourable towards Oblivion?...why trust them now if you got burned on Oblivion?

I know I'm not staff, but I saw that our own GT Review is up!  smile

Staff, please feel free to correct if I've broken protocol.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 11, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

First game in months that is so immersive I've forgotten about my previous obsession...Star Wars who???  icon_lol

If I could have one thing put in MMO's if would be the immersion into a gaming world I feel with a game of Skyrim's caliber. I'm already growing "loyal" to my character, and he's only lv-3. I'm a Nord, and Im starting to get bugged by some of the "other" folks sentiments toward my home land, Skyrim. Fantastic. And to read that this game is "huge" by any gaming standard just makes things that much better.

I think graphic wise its better than Witcher, Deus Ex(although totally different setting)etc, etc. They are amazing. Not many games can make me stop over and over again just looking around soaking it all in.
Just when I start getting a bit jaded toward gaming, a game like Skyrim comes along and reminds me afresh why my hobby of choice is gaming on the PC. I have a Remembrance Day Parade to go to latter this morning,,Poppy day in Canada is always, 11.11 at 11 O'clock. Being a vet and having a son in the forces who will be there with me today, makes it all the more important. But its about the only thing that could drag me away from this game today. But o yes, I will return to the cold North, on that you can be sure...(by the way its snowing here in Wasaga Beach Ontario. Just walked the dog in the woods, about 3inches settled already}

Grace: Unmerited favor.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

I hear ya, arc.  I was up until a little past 1am playing.  Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to go home early from work today. 

Such a great game so far.  Can't wait to explore some more of it!

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: November 11, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »

What a gorgeous game. I managed to get about an hour in before going to sleep. It's going to be a long day on only 4 hours sleep. Still worth it.

I haven't upgraded my video card in a few years but the game was great on ultra. I think it's a ATI 48-something with a gig of ram. I5 chip and 8 gigs of ram. No pauses or stuttering in the game. I found a mine after getting through the tutorial and had a blast exploring it. What's up with all the love for Dark Elves? That was also the first character I made. I have played Dark Elf spellswords since ... Arena?

Anyway. The game is crazy atmospheric. Love all the effects like the way water flows over rocks and the mist that rises near the ground. Character models are well done. As other's have pointed out, they don't have that floaty effect.

I also love the meaty thunk of some of the weapons. You hit something with a mace and it sort of sticks. the finishing move graphics are very cool. I didn't expect those to be so fun. If you are fighting a tough opponent it's fun to see the camera zoom away for the kill. Bows feel great and the arrows actually arc when released before thunking into intended targets.

I really wish I was at home with a cup of coffee, feet up on the desk, exploring Skyrim. GAH! 3:30 can't come soon enough. I am very impressed with the game except for the interface. ARGH! I will get used to it but why can't we have a straight forward click to pick menu? The skills are the worst. You have to scroll over dozens to find the skill you are looking for.

I suspect I will also buy a console copy today so we can play on the big screen. My kids are so used to consoles now, they scoff at me playing games on the computer. Little brats.  icon_wink

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 11, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 11, 2011, 07:09:11 AM

Hah, dark elf bow and magic guy here as well!! Interesting how we all end up choosing that? Loving the game so far - Exploring my very first dungeon was...awesome and just as tense as in morrowind - LOVE the sounds in the game..simply brilliantly enhancing the atmosphere.
How does the switching between magic and bow work?  Can it be streamlined to a click?  This was going to be my approach too  icon_lol

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 11, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »

I am playing pure mage but debating whether to start over because I don't like being limited to two spells and having to hold down Q to switch spells.  I keep getting confused because left click=right hand and right click=left hand.  Is it possible to hotkey like in Diablo?  I had planned to play a pet class but the lack of pet controls and the bad AI behaviour that I noticed in the first zombie I created is making me reconsider.

I had the same issue identifying friend/foe from far but this seems to be a problem in every Elder Scrolls game.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

Well crud I have a graphics bug. In the initital sequence the tree's were flickering like mad and when I looked up the trees moved up into the sky. When I looked down they came back down. This is on an Nvidia 460. I haven't gotten back outside since then so I'm hoping it doesn't come back but I doubt it. The inside part looked fine.
Also still trying to get used to the interface. And I got the prompt for the optional quest to unlock the cage before I got to the room with the cage! Drove me crazy looking around the room where I was trying to find something to unlock Roll Eyes Gave up, moved ahead, ahhh, here are the cages. I think I will enjoy the game if I can fix the graphics glitch.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: