http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Impressions, tweaks and more!  (Read 58979 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »

yeah, if you don't like it then don't play forever!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 10, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »

At worst, the MMO quests will be overly generic and repetitive and the modding community will then take advantage of the random quest engine to turn it into something amazing.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 10, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »

Skyrim maybe the last game any of us buy. This is the beginning of the end. We've hit the gaming wall. Skyrim is the future. Skyrim is all.(oops. better add the required sun face) icon_wink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 10, 2011, 12:54:45 AM »

If I go under on 11-11-11 and don't come up until the start of the Steam XMas sale I'm not going to be complaining.  icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: November 10, 2011, 01:04:57 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 10, 2011, 12:46:36 AM

At worst, the MMO quests will be overly generic and repetitive and the modding community will then take advantage of the random quest engine to turn it into something amazing.

Exactly. Who knows what the modding community will come up with this function.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 10, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »

i have another reason for liking the infinite quest thing,these games although enjoyable are a complete bitch for needing money,in Oblivion i had a right time trying to make money i was always skint and as soon as i had my own place,i made sure i picked up everything and would fast travel back and forth whenever i was carrying too much to dump the stuff in my house,so i could sell it all for pennies....as long as these quests pay up,i am in

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »

maybe they should replace the in-game music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gyCFuP3rM2w

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 10, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »

Got my code from D2D and preloading on Steam now!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: November 10, 2011, 07:02:01 AM »

I hope I get to kill Murlocs. Effen hate those guys.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 10, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

omgomgomgomg. this time tomorrow i'll be playing skyrim
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 10, 2011, 08:04:42 AM

Unless there is a power outage at your house.  ninja

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »

*rushes out to buy power generators*

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 10, 2011, 08:05:43 AM

Quote from: jersoc on November 10, 2011, 08:04:42 AM

Unless there is a power outage at your house.  ninja

shit, maybe. they are predicting some snow. and the rain could freeze over. OGMOMGOMG
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »

oh shit, you can use a VPN to connect to an australian server and it'll unlock at 12am there. Just tried it and it works. 2 hours to go!

https://www.vpnsecure.me/ i used that for the 2 day VPN trial for 2 bucks. just sign up and install. exit steam then connect to a server. restart steam and boom!

I guess you have to stay connected(no problem there) or go into offline mode and disconnect if you want.

also, wow do aussies get raped on prices.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2011, 01:23:20 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 10, 2011, 11:04:45 AM

oh shit, you can use a VPN to connect to an australian server and it'll unlock at 12am there. Just tried it and it works. 2 hours to go!

https://www.vpnsecure.me/ i used that for the 2 day VPN trial for 2 bucks. just sign up and install. exit steam then connect to a server. restart steam and boom!

I guess you have to stay connected(no problem there) or go into offline mode and disconnect if you want.

I can confirm that this works!. Game is decrypted and sitting at the menu screen for me to start playing now. $2 for an extra 16 hours of Skryim this weekend (and helping to get it out of the way of my SWTOR time) is more than worth it to me.

You're my hero, jersoc. biggrin

- Ash

PS> So far, I've just left Steam connected through the VPN. Haven't tried Offline Mode.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »

Some reviews are up

http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review-6344622
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1212121p1.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212033p1.html

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, Jersoc!  I think I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.

I will create...Ted, The Accountant!  Tamriel's first notary public and the owner of a chain of used horse lots.  I will win Skyrim through the judicious use of economics. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:46:54 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »

I haven't bought it yet, partly because I was waiting on the reviews (got burned big-time on Oblivion) and partly because I don't have any time to play it right now.

I got into the SW:ToR beta this weekend for the first time, so I figure I'll spend a fair amount of time on that. Then I'm on the road and out of town most of next week, so I can't play then either. So the first real chance I'd have to get into the game is around the evening of the 18th. I figure by then the real reviews - those who are playing the game - should be pretty well detailed, the game may be on sale (unlikely, but possible) and the first patch will be out.

And if it turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread, I took all of Thanksgiving week off just because I needed to use my vacation time, giving me plenty of time to play.    nod

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 10, 2011, 01:23:20 PM

I can confirm that this works!. Game is decrypted and sitting at the menu screen for me to start playing now. $2 for an extra 16 hours of Skryim this weekend (and helping to get it out of the way of my SWTOR time) is more than worth it to me.

- Ash

PS> So far, I've just left Steam connected through the VPN. Haven't tried Offline Mode.

Coooooolnesss! If only I wasn't at work right now!! Guess I can go home tonight and unlock early!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »

awesome find jersoc.  not going to bother with it myslef as I'm at work until 7, and then hapopy hour and other stuff will eat up most of the night.

hell, I could be seeing double by the time the game is unlocked.  OMG, double dragons! what does it mean?!?!?!?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 10, 2011, 02:44:54 PM

I haven't bought it yet, partly because I was waiting on the reviews (got burned big-time on Oblivion) and partly because I don't have any time to play it right now.

weren't the reviews kinda favourable towards Oblivion?...why trust them now if you got burned on Oblivion?

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 10, 2011, 03:14:52 PM

weren't the reviews kinda favourable towards Oblivion?...why trust them now if you got burned on Oblivion?

Quote from: Blackadar
"I figure by then the real reviews - those who are playing the game - should be pretty well detailed..."

Which is exactly why I said I'm waiting on player reviews and not just published reviews..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:22:35 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 10, 2011, 03:18:33 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 10, 2011, 03:14:52 PM

Quote from: Blackadar
"I figure by then the real reviews - those who are playing the game - should be pretty well detailed..."

Which is exactly why I said I'm waiting on player reviews and not just published reviews..

haha,sorry missed that part...consider it bought then if you are relying on the forum effect Tongue

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »

Yeah, I am waiting on player reviews of the leveling system (including "world scaling") and the combat before taking the plunge.  Unless, of course, I have a moment of (inspiration) weakness.

I have no doubt the world-building and player freedom will be stellar.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »

Reviews aren't really going to help you since Oblivion has a metacritic score of 94.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on November 10, 2011, 01:23:20 PM

- Ash

* CeeKay pokes Ash with a sharp stick

so spill!

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

He's playing.  Do you honestly think he's coming up for air in the next week?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »

that's what she said.

ahem....

from the IGn review posted by someone else:

Many times the unexpected takes the form of a dragon. Sometimes they're purposefully placed to guard relics, sometimes they swoop over cities and attack at seemingly random times. In the middle of a fight against a camp of bandits a dragon might strike, screaming through the sky and searing foe and friendly alike with frost or flame. Momentarily all on the battlefield unite, directing arrows and magic blasts upward to knock down the creature, creating impromptu moments of camaraderie -- a surprising change from what may have been yet another by-the-numbers bandit camp sweep. Dragons show up often, their presence announced by an ominous flap of broad wings or an otherworldly scream from high above. The scale and startling detail built into each creature's appearance and animations as it circles, stops to attack, circles again and slams to the ground makes encounters thrilling, though their predictable attack patterns lessen the excitement after a few battles. In the long run they're far less irritating than the Oblivion gate equivalent from The Elder Scrolls IV, can be completed in a few minutes, and always offer a useful reward.

other than the predictbale attack patterns dragons sound pretty cool.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

and dammit (from same review):

The only downside of the PC version is the interface, which is elaborately presented and a breeze to use on consoles, but is inefficiently laid out for keyboard and mouse controls. To cut down on time spent in menus with both versions you can assign almost anything armor, weapons, spells, shouts, pieces of meat as a favorite. This menu can then quickly be brought up during a fight, pausing the action, so you swiftly adjust to the changing nature of a battle without having to page through the main menu system, though on PC an option to also bind items and spells to number keys would have been appreciated.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »

Yeah, I was kind of annoyed by that.  I have a 360 controller I use for other PC games, so I guess I'll just plug it in and go to town with that...but still, it would've been nice to have a PC centric interface on the PC version.   icon_frown

Ah well, I'm going to keep telling myself that the better graphics and user mods will make it worthwhile.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »

Crap! No idea if this is related but they stopped taking new registrations. Still were an hr ago but when I just tried to set it up now when my download of Skyrim was finished they said no more registrations icon_evil
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

I hope that just means they're blocking clients who are registered on US servers initially from suddenly connecting via international servers outside the country, and not an indication that they're already running out of keys for validation!

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on November 10, 2011, 04:58:16 PM

Crap! No idea if this is related but they stopped taking new registrations. Still were an hr ago but when I just tried to set it up now when my download of Skyrim was finished they said no more registrations icon_evil

Son of bitches!... Fuckin' Ceekay!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »

Use "Hide my ass" - they offer 30 days free trial.

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »

I would like to see some impressions of the improved 3rd person animations and camera, which I haven't really seen addressed yet.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 10, 2011, 05:04:59 PM

I would like to see some impressions of the improved 3rd person animations and camera, which I haven't really seen addressed yet.

A couple of reviews have noted that it is improved.  Gamespot described it as "no longer looking like you're floating everywhere".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 10, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2011, 05:00:02 PM

I hope that just means they're blocking clients who are registered on US servers initially from suddenly connecting via international servers outside the country, and not an indication that they're already running out of keys for validation!

he's talking about the VPNsecure, not Skyrim keys.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »

whooo...had me scared there for a second!

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 10, 2011, 04:08:41 PM

* CeeKay pokes Ash with a sharp stick

so spill!

Impressions shall be posted shortly. Just let me get some lunch here and I'll start typing. smile

- Ash
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »

VPN-S must be getting whacked hard. They have over 10 Australian servers to choose from..aptly named,,Australian Skyrim 1 etc...
Can't connect to any of them though. Probably lost my 2 buck fee, but it was worth a shot.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: