http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:33:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Impressions, tweaks and more!  (Read 55487 times)
Hotfreak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 27, 2011, 06:29:15 AM

Sure, but skill is ultimately what decides whether you win a fight or not - In Demons Souls at least. For instance, the big guy who always kills you the first 2000 times you try and its part of the story you die? He can be beaten once you've played the game enough.
Oh, I agree with you for the most part.  But I could also tell the story of dying to the Stray Demon in Dark Sls 15 times in a row, zoning out to level up, then killing him in the first try.

Edit: Arkon, yes, it's frustrating and difficult, but also fair and intelligible -- i.e. you know why you died each time.  Anyway, this is a Skyrim thread and I keep derailing.  I apologize.  I do hope Skyrim has a little deeper combat than previous ES games.  I especially hope that they have smoothed out the kooky character development model of Oblivion -- one that rewarded you for avoiding using your main skills and leveling everything else (among other irrationalities).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:57:19 AM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 27, 2011, 11:49:55 AM

Quote from: Razgon on October 27, 2011, 06:29:15 AM

Sure, but skill is ultimately what decides whether you win a fight or not - In Demons Souls at least. For instance, the big guy who always kills you the first 2000 times you try and its part of the story you die? He can be beaten once you've played the game enough.

Wait, it is part of the game that no matter what you do, you have to die 2000 times before you can win?  That sounds ridiculously frustrating and not fun.  I will be rather pleased then if Skyrim is nothing at all like Demon Souls/Dark Souls.

Sorry, I'm not explaning myself very well, and apologies for the complete derailing. Its a story plot that you die,since the enemy is insanely strong, BUT it is actually possible to beat him, but only if you have mastered the game.

Anyways, I think the point is, that people would like combat that is different from standing still or backpedalling whille firing arrows.

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

How many ways are there to kill something? We just might be coming to the end of new ways to bring things down.  crybaby

Grace: Unmerited favor.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »

So I'm looking forward to this game called Skyrim...maybe we could discuss that game here too.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »

I'm looking forward to it so much I am taking a paid vacation day on the 11th.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »

Im looking forward to it too. You know what Im digging about this game. It's how grimy it looks. I know that sounds funny, but this looks like the most grimiest medieval fantasy RPG ever. Grimy caves. Grimy dungeons. Grimy cities. I feel dirty and covered in 5 days soot just looking at screenshots.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:27:24 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on October 27, 2011, 06:08:16 PM

I feel dirty and covered in 5 days sooth just looking at screenshots.

Covered in truth?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 27, 2011, 06:19:31 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on October 27, 2011, 06:08:16 PM

I feel dirty and covered in 5 days sooth just looking at screenshots.

Covered in truth?

Oops, I meant 'soot'.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »

I lucked out since it appears I'm off the 11th anyway (federal holiday) smile  Now to find a good price between now and then.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2011, 05:20:52 PM

I'm looking forward to it so much I am taking a paid vacation day on the 11th.

I'm taking a week off starting the 13th. Yeah, that Friday and Saturday are going to bug the hell out of me (as I work both days), but a week off after will help that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

I'm off (by chance) on the 11th as well.  icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

Hey, if it's a Federal holiday then (technically) I'll be off as well. Woo-hoo!

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

No better way to celebrate Veteran's/Armistice Day than with fantasy roleplaying and movies about overthrowing the gods, J Edgar Hoover, an Adam Sandler movie where he gets double the screen time, and a horror movie set in Spain.   icon_neutral

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2011, 02:50:03 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 28, 2011, 02:46:28 PM

No better way to celebrate Veteran's/Armistice Day than with fantasy roleplaying and movies about overthrowing the gods, J Edgar Hoover, an Adam Sandler movie where he gets double the screen time, and a horror movie set in Spain.   icon_neutral

I love how the poster for Into the Abyss shows someone stuffing something down the back of their pants.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

He's handcuffed and in a onesie.  No idea if it they're footied or not. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »

Ah.  They should have stuck with the smaller image, makes the title more humorous.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »

I'm off on the 11th as well!! I'll be galivanting thru the grimy lands of Skyrim. I may even be grimy myself and not take a shower that day.  nod
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 28, 2011, 03:48:44 PM

He's handcuffed and in a onesie.  No idea if it they're footied or not. 

... and he's a Doctor!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »

Took me a minute.  Not quite.  That's "Death Row".

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »

It says

D
R

(you just can't see the dot on account of the pants in the way. slywink)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

Todd Howard interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/30/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-todd-howard-interview/

PC Gamer: We’ve heard about the Radiant Story system ensuring a kidnap victim is someone you’ve already met. Can you give any other examples of stuff you’ve seen it do, maybe stuff that surprised you?

Todd Howard: Let’s see… something that was good lately – but this was a bug – lately we realized that chickens were reporting crimes. I found that very funny. That was just last week: “Why are we getting caught?” “Oh, the chickens are reporting the crimes!”

on dragons:

PC Gamer: When you’re not doing the main quest, how common is it for you to run into a dragon?

Todd Howard: You have to do a little bit of the main quest – just the initial stuff – for the dragons to really start appearing, because it sits in with the story. After that point, the more of the main quest you do, the more dragons you’ll run into. But it’s hard to quantify it. They appear every once in a while. Not at a rate that is annoying… it still feels special. It’s hard to know how people will play the game and it’s a little bit random.

hopefully they don't get as bad as Oblivion gates-  those suckers were popping up so much it felt like the Daedras should have just been able to take over.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2011, 06:25:33 PM

on dragons:

PC Gamer: When you’re not doing the main quest, how common is it for you to run into a dragon?

Todd Howard: You have to do a little bit of the main quest – just the initial stuff – for the dragons to really start appearing, because it sits in with the story. After that point, the more of the main quest you do, the more dragons you’ll run into. But it’s hard to quantify it. They appear every once in a while. Not at a rate that is annoying… it still feels special. It’s hard to know how people will play the game and it’s a little bit random.

hopefully they don't get as bad as Oblivion gates-  those suckers were popping up so much it felt like the Daedras should have just been able to take over.

It's official: Dragons are the new cliff racers. slywink
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »

Then I would guess they'll be modded out just as quickly as they were in Morrowind.   icon_biggrin

That's the great thing about the Elder Scrolls games.  Don't like something?  Give it about a week and if others agree, there will be a mod removing it.  Same for stuff that should be in the game.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2011, 03:12:40 PM

Then I would guess they'll be modded out just as quickly as they were in Morrowind.   icon_biggrin

That's the great thing about the Elder Scrolls games.  Don't like something?  Give it about a week and if others agree, there will be a mod removing it.  Same for stuff that should be in the game.

Wait til George Lucas gets his hands on it!  10,000 more Ewoks for Skyrim!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »

review copies have been going out, but it's officially gone gold.  c'mon Friday!

Because I can,
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »

Although it looks damn cool, I'm going to wait a while for patches. Fool me once...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on November 05, 2011, 10:10:32 AM

Although it looks damn cool, I'm going to wait a while for patches. Fool me once...

I'm not waiting.  I've purchased the last three Bethesda RPG's at launch and had no significant problems with any of them. 

- American Dad
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 05, 2011, 06:28:26 PM

I'm not waiting.  I've purchased the last three Bethesda RPG's at launch and had no significant problems with any of them. 

It's obsidian you need to avoid imo.

Are there any deals? I can't find poop. This might be the first game I pay full price for in years.

Also, is steam unlocking at 2am? Seems that way, but they sometimes change to 2pm.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 05, 2011, 07:47:20 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on November 05, 2011, 06:28:26 PM

It's obsidian you need to avoid imo.

Are there any deals? I can't find poop. This might be the first game I pay full price for in years.

Also, is steam unlocking at 2am? Seems that way, but they sometimes change to 2pm.

According to the most recent info from Pete Hines, they are trying for a midnight EST/9PM PST Steam unlock.  They did it for Rage, so it will probably happen for Skyrim as well.

- American Dad
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »

I'll wait on patches & mods.  I'm not sure what their deal is, but it always feels like they know they don't have to finish things properly because modders will do it for them.  Take character models; they been making these games for how long now and they have yet to make a decent body or face model. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »

Direct2Drive has the game at 10% off for preordering, or $53.95.  However, depending on where you live, D2D might charge tax, which would negate most of the discount.  You can also sign up for IGN Prime which takes 15% off, bringing it down to $45.86.  At one time, IGN Prime offered a free trial, but I can't find any working links to that offer.  It's normally $6.95/month, so you'd still save $1 and the discount is good on all D2D games for the whole month.

As for unlocking, Bethesda tweeted that it would be available at midnight in each time zone, but my Steam clock is counting down to 2am on Friday as the unlock time.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 05, 2011, 08:45:05 PM

As for unlocking, Bethesda tweeted that it would be available at midnight in each time zone, but my Steam clock is counting down to 2am on Friday as the unlock time.

yeah, mine is saying 1am.  of course things can change.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on November 05, 2011, 08:37:12 PM

I'll wait on patches & mods.  I'm not sure what their deal is, but it always feels like they know they don't have to finish things properly because modders will do it for them.  Take character models; they been making these games for how long now and they have yet to make a decent body or face model. 

Have you looked at the current body and face models? They're DRASTICALLY improved over Oblivion.

And Bethesda's games have always been solid at launch. And if any bugs come up, the modding community (on the PC version) will fix them very quickly. And Bethesda has been traditionally fast as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 05, 2011, 08:45:05 PM

Direct2Drive has the game at 10% off for preordering, or $53.95.  However, depending on where you live, D2D might charge tax, which would negate most of the discount.  You can also sign up for IGN Prime which takes 15% off, bringing it down to $45.86.  At one time, IGN Prime offered a free trial, but I can't find any working links to that offer.  It's normally $6.95/month, so you'd still save $1 and the discount is good on all D2D games for the whole month.

Thanks for the tip!  I will need to remember that 15% off in the future for Steamworks games.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »

6 bucks, not worth it over steam. Guess i'll just preorder it there.

Hope it does unlock at 12am EST, then i'll have it unlocked when I get home from work.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »

Is it the 11th yet?  Im anxious to try out my new GTX 590 on Skyrim.  I picked up Crysis 2 when it was on sale and this card doesnt even blink at that.  I even played some free WoW just to see and as expected it was prettier but no more interesting than before.  I need me some fresh gaming and Skyrim is already on pre order,  so get here already before I succumb to the LOTR War in the North forum effects!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2011, 04:30:14 AM »

From a post at NeoGAF -
23 hours in, I'm level 13 and am starting to explore more of the world now. I've only just reached another large city after Whiterun (the first city you go to), simply because there's so much damn stuff to do, and not just in terms of the abundance of quests you receive. Spent way too much time collecting ingredients, hunting animals, crafting items to make armour and weapons, cooking food, making potions, chopping wood, mining ore, etc.
  drool

It's going to be a long week of waiting......

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2011, 05:04:44 AM »

can't wait, can't wait.

going to go in on the 360 version for now, but i anticipate a double dip once the modding community has gone whole hog on it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 06, 2011, 02:42:20 AM

6 bucks, not worth it over steam. Guess i'll just preorder it there.

Hope it does unlock at 12am EST, then i'll have it unlocked when I get home from work.

If I'm not mistaken, no matter where you buy it, it uses Steam.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »

Preorder placed at Steam! Also here hoping that it unlocks at 12 midnight on Thursday night. It'll download overnight and I'll be able to play it with a cup of coffee on my Friday holiday morning.  icon_smile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: