http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:18:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The E3 Wii Stampede  (Read 467 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »

Heh, looks like the Wii may be the most popular booth @ E3....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:51:59 PM »

Awesome.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:13:12 PM »

LOL

I thought I read something yesterday that there was a 4 HOUR wait for the Wii on Thursday, compared to 30 minutes for the PS3. One security guard is quoted as saying that there was anywhere from 1500 to 2000 people in line at any one time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:40:08 AM »

A look at the line - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlvLQzvJNA
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »

Here's what I don't get - the Nintendo booth was supposedly allowing each person to play for 5 to 15 minutes.  Assuming they limited everybody to 5, that's only 96 people per machine for an 8 hour day.

I'm not sure how many machines they have, but I can't image the people in the back of the line would enjoy standing in a line for 8 hours with the potential of getting nothing....

...then again, I guess I did that twice while trying to score a Xbox 360 frown

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 02:37:18 AM »

Ha ha, fanboys and fangirls can be so ridiculously funny some times ... and I'd do exactly the same thing. Good for Nintendo, though - everyone wants to try out Wii.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 02:56:44 AM »

I'd be running to the right too.  Wiiii!!!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:29:53 AM »

So here's the thing.  There wasn't a line for the PS3 because it was all out in the open.  Walk up, play with it, just like every other major booth at the show.  Nintendo cleverly manufactured this interest by putting the Wii in a closed off section and making people wait in line to see it at all.

There was certainly a lot of interest in the Wii, but by setting things up this way, Nintendo made it artifically look even bigger by severely limiting how many people actually got in.

I'm not taking any sides on either console (how could I, I've only seen one of them smile ), just pointing out the context of this video.  It's annoying that so many people had no chance to see the Wii, but I do think Nintendo played E3 pretty well by doing this.  The press all got to see it, of course, and then they get videos like this out of it too.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
So here's the thing.  There wasn't a line for the PS3 because it was all out in the open.  Walk up, play with it, just like every other major booth at the show.  Nintendo cleverly manufactured this interest by putting the Wii in a closed off section and making people wait in line to see it at all.

There was certainly a lot of interest in the Wii, but by setting things up this way, Nintendo made it artifically look even bigger by severely limiting how many people actually got in.

I'm not taking any sides on either console (how could I, I've only seen one of them smile ), just pointing out the context of this video.  It's annoying that so many people had no chance to see the Wii, but I do think Nintendo played E3 pretty well by doing this.  The press all got to see it, of course, and then they get videos like this out of it too.

Yup, they learned this trick from Sony last year.  There was a 2+hr long wait to get in and see a 10 minute long video montage of mostly pre-rendered PS3 footage at the Sony booth.  I would say that this pretty much trumps that.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »

As always, I love Bill Harris' spin on things:

I was at E3 today (Thursday ) with Ben Ormand (also known as the Best Human Being Ever), and while I'll have a longer wrap-up on Monday, I saw two overwhelming, dominant themes.

The first, and by far the most important, is that this E3 was catastrophic for Sony. Absolutely catastrophic. This morning at 10 a.m., there were literally hundreds of people in the Nintendo area, and the wait to try out the Wii games (which required entry into a special section) was over an hour long. Almost right next door, there were PS3 games on display, and the crowd around them was two deep.

That's two as in two people per game.

There's no way to spin that. It's the biggest gaming event of the year, Sony has the most powerful (allegedly) console ever created playable on the show floor, and nobody gives a shit. There were additional games upstairs, and there was a short line (by E3 standards) for that, but it in no way discounts playable games on the floor being virtually empty.

Do you know what Sony did when they announced a $599.99 price point? They made themselves irrelevant. I wonder what it feels like to be 3DO.

Don't get me wrong - I love my PS2. But after browsing upon many movies, I didn't see anything (except maybe the latest Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy XIII) worth dropping $600 (as I'd be an idiot to buy the gimped $500 one) on.

The Wii will definitely keep my 360 company. I'll have an entirely new gameplay experience of the Wii right along with my 'uber realistic graphics' of my 360. Once Sony gives me a reason to drop that much money, I might consider it. But not until then (and more than likely a price drop or two).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"

I don't completely understand this logic. A wait is a wait, regardless of how those waiting are arranged. Were there more PS3s to try? Where those playing the PS3s limitted to a shorter playtime than Wii kiosks, and kicked off sooner to allow those beind to play? I mean, otherwise, I can't see how you can really manufacture a wait, only make it look like there is more demand. Both setups will have a bottleneck at the systems themselves, which will set the wait pace, so how did the available systems compare? If people weren't waiting an hour to get their hands on the PS3, how could there be similar demand? Wouldn't there have been just an unorganized hoard of people churning around the PS3 kiosks?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I don't completely understand this logic. A wait is a wait, regardless of how those waiting are arranged. Were there more PS3s to try? Where those playing the PS3s limitted to a shorter playtime than Wii kiosks, and kicked off sooner to allow those beind to play? I mean, otherwise, I can't see how you can really manufacture a wait, only make it look like there is more demand. Both setups will have a bottleneck at the systems themselves, which will set the wait pace, so how did the available systems compare? If people weren't waiting an hour to get their hands on the PS3, how could there be similar demand? Wouldn't there have been just an unorganized hoard of people churning around the PS3 kiosks?

There were no "Wii kiosks".  There was a chokepoint that everyone who wanted to try the Wii had to funnel through.  If you wanted to try PS3 stuff, consoles were spread over a huge area on the floor.  You could go to whatever console you wanted.  Also, people go running in every single day of the show no matter what smile  You don't want to be near the front doors when they open.  I have no doubt the Wii had a far greater draw than the PS3, but I agree with TO on the setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: