http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Decline of the PS3 Gray Market  (Read 6312 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2007, 01:19:32 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on January 03, 2007, 11:02:34 PM

Alot of people that buy things when you put the same products in front of them with 2 price tags alot of times equate lower priced as being inferior.

I agree, which is why two SKUs was stupid from the start (same applies to 360).  However if the majority of PS3s on the shelf were the cheaper SKU and the packaging and branding was good enough (ie call the $600 the Wireless Gaming Edition or something) to clarify things it would only help Sony in the long run.  Consumer perception is that the PS3 is $600 right now.  If Sony can just change that perception to $500, then they've given themselves a free psuedo price cut and might pick up some additional sales. 

Even on the internet, where people should know better, the PS3 is repeatedly referred to as being $200 more than the 360 except that when you compare apples to apples, it's really only $100 since the 360 doesn't include the wireless adapter either. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2007, 01:29:18 AM »

Though I have no evidence to back this up.  I get the feeling that Sony's margin (or lack there of) is better on the 60gig version.  I certainly saw alot more 60gigs on the shelves at various retailers during my travels yesterday.  There must be some reason for that.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2007, 02:51:50 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 04, 2007, 01:29:18 AM

Though I have no evidence to back this up.  I get the feeling that Sony's margin (or lack there of) is better on the 60gig version.  I certainly saw alot more 60gigs on the shelves at various retailers during my travels yesterday.  There must be some reason for that.

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt of that and all of the analysts predictions on cost of hardware back that up.  And if the 60 Gig version sells well that's fine.  But my gut feeling based on the buzz as well as the reports of PS3 availability in stores (just from personal experience every single store I've been in during the last week that sells consoles now has PS3s in stock) is that PS3 sales are going to tank starting in January.  If the PS3 lags behind where the 360 was during the comparable month last year then I think Sony has a problem on their hand and price is certainly a big factor.  While they may lose more money, pushing the $500 SKU might spur some additional sales and shore up the foundation a bit. 

I think $600 is way too much too ask during first quarter when they coming out of a holiday season that was all abuzz about the Wii and not PS3. 
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2007, 04:10:02 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 04, 2007, 02:51:50 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on January 04, 2007, 01:29:18 AM

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt of that and all of the analysts predictions on cost of hardware back that up.  And if the 60 Gig version sells well that's fine.  But my gut feeling based on the buzz as well as the reports of PS3 availability in stores (just from personal experience every single store I've been in during the last week that sells consoles now has PS3s in stock) is that PS3 sales are going to tank starting in January.  If the PS3 lags behind where the 360 was during the comparable month last year then I think Sony has a problem on their hand and price is certainly a big factor.  While they may lose more money, pushing the $500 SKU might spur some additional sales and shore up the foundation a bit. 

I think $600 is way too much too ask during first quarter when they coming out of a holiday season that was all abuzz about the Wii and not PS3. 

Getting some exclusive games that look demonstrably better than the 360 would really help (if possible) .  They need a console seller or three, possibly desperately.  The fact that much of the launch lineup consists of meh games and 360 ports is really not helping at all.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2007, 05:01:57 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on January 04, 2007, 04:10:02 AM

Getting some exclusive games that look demonstrably better than the 360 would really help (if possible) .  They need a console seller or three, possibly desperately.  The fact that much of the launch lineup consists of meh games and 360 ports is really not helping at all.

lair really should've been a launch title - it has the potential (as seen in this video) of being an authentic 'showcase' -type game, & appears to make excellent use of the new controller to boot...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2007, 06:50:20 AM »

Whoah, just saw that video, looks like a fantasy version of Warhawk.  Yeah, I'd agree Lair should have been release title, but it looks like that studio took the time to really learn the hardware and is putting it to good use.

I also like the use of the sixaxis controller.  I just looked it up and it seems the controller does have both rotation sensors and accelerometers.  The only thing it's missing is the pointer device.  One thing I definitely like about these new controllers is how they remove some weird button combinations for some moves.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »

All I can tell you is that from my experience is that it is really unusual for someone to call or come in looking for the 20GB unit, and most people looking for the 60GB have zero interest in the 20, even when you carefully detail the few differences. We've had plenty of people walk away from 20GB purchases when it was all we had in stock.

These days there isn't all that much demand for either, and believe it or not, there are still a fair number of people out there that have no clue how much the PS3 costs, which kind of flies in the face of all of this anyway.

As for lair, I love dragons, but for whatevere reason, this really doesn't excite me...but I can't put my finger on why. Great looking water in that vid BTW--maybe the best I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:46:41 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:42 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 04, 2007, 12:34:49 PM

All I can tell you is that from my experience is that it is really unusual for someone to call or come in looking for the 20GB unit, and most people looking for the 60GB have zero interest in the 20, even when you carefully detail the few differences. We've had plenty of people walk away from 20GB purchases when it was all we had in stock.

These days there isn't all that much demand for either, and believe it or not, there are still a fair number of people out there that have no clue how much the PS3 costs, which kind of flies in the face of all of this anyway.

As for lair, I love dragons, but for whatevere reason, this really doesn't excite me...but I can't put my finger on why. Great looking water in that vid BTW--maybe the best I've seen.

For me personally, I am interested in both. The wireless on the 60gig is very appealing to me, but on the other hand, I am sure I can deal without it. When I do get a ps3 it will be a tough tough choice.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »

I would get the 20 gig for sure if I were to buy one.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 04, 2007, 09:41:00 PM

I would get the 20 gig for sure if I were to buy one.

Me too.  The chrome just doesn't look that good.  I (don't yet) need wireless, except for the PSP stuff which might be useful.  The HD size and media reader stuff is easy enough to add.  Is WiFi access for the PSP worth $100?  Not for me.

Here is a REAL question.  Does the PS3 play PS1 games?  I guess that should be pretty obvious, but I haven't heard one way or another.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2007, 02:59:04 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on January 05, 2007, 12:22:00 AM

Here is a REAL question.  Does the PS3 play PS1 games?  I guess that should be pretty obvious, but I haven't heard one way or another.

If you're talking about downloadable PS1 games:  Right now, no, but it is supposed to happen in the future.

If you're talking about the originals games:  Yes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:11:05 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2007, 02:59:04 AM

Right now, no, but it is supposed to happen in the future.

Since when? I thought it did with a few notable games not working?
unbreakable
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2007, 03:15:20 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 05, 2007, 03:12:00 AM

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2007, 02:59:04 AM

Right now, no, but it is supposed to happen in the future.

Since when? I thought it did with a few notable games not working?

I recall hearing the PSX support was supposed to be at the same level the PS2 could support them.  I have no idea if it's true or not, that's just what I heard.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2007, 03:53:24 AM »

PS1 games play fine on the PS3. You can't play downloaded PS1 games on the PS3 yet, but if you have the original PS1 game you're golden.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2007, 04:09:41 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 05, 2007, 03:53:24 AM

PS1 games play fine on the PS3. You can't play downloaded PS1 games on the PS3 yet, but if you have the original PS1 game you're golden.

yup... just ran nightmare creatures 2, tomb raider, final fantasy viii, persona 2, & jackie chan: stuntmaster (?!), & it played all of'm (as andrew says, downloads from the store only play on the psp right now)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 05, 2007, 03:53:24 AM

Sorry to confuse people...This is what I meant...the downloadable ones.  For some reason I assumed he meant those since I figured it was obvious the originals worked.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:11:54 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: