http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The current Rig-Crushing title?  (Read 1077 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »

I've a new PC to build this afternoon, it'll be quite an upgrade from my current rig...and of course I want something to push it hard.

So what's new, demanding, yet fun...aka worth having for more than just showing off?

Crysis? I know it's demanding as hell...but is it good? Anything else?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

I really enjoyed Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, and FarCry 2, all of which should push a new system pretty hard.  The first two are easy recommendations, but as much as I liked the wide open landmass, the freeform adventuring, and the diegetic interface, some people didn't care for them.

If you prefer RPGs, Neverwinter Nights 2 has been greatly optimized over the years, but is still renown as game with extremely demanding requirements.  Many people malign the original campaign, and just as many agree that the Mask of the Betrayer expansion pack is largely fantastic.

Sacred 2 is a different sort of RPG, closer to Diablo 2 or Titan Quest in its execution.  It also has fairly high system requirements, though if you find yourself suffering random crashes, you might need to disable the PhysX features on your nVidia graphics card.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »

Oh, and I forgot Fallout 3!  At maximum settings that game should push any new system pretty hard!

Oblivion is a rather similar game, and may be preferable if you like high fantasy and magic better than post-apocalyptic wastelands and pseudo-turn based gun battles.  If you decide to try that out, I think you'll have the best experience if you take the time to pack it full of POOP.

-Autistic Angel
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »

Yeah, Sacred 2 at its highest settings is certainly fairly rig-crushing. I've had to dial it back a good bit to get it to run mostly smoothly on my pc, and I'm not running a slouch of a computer myself.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »

Some quick picks:

1) Crysis and Crysis Warhead: Good for pushing graphic cards to their limits.  I really enjoyed both games as well.
2) GTA IV (PC version):  Good for testing CPUs.  Quad core pretty much required, but strangely doesn't seem to care as much about GPUs.
3) Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Seems able to eat up whatever your CPU/GPU can throw at it.
4) Assassin's Creed: Another port that also seems to be pretty CPU/GPU demanding.  Decent game with gorgeous graphics.
5) Stalker: Clear Sky.  With all graphics set to max, makes my SLI GPU's cry.  Havenít gotten far into the game, so canít comment on how fun it is.

I'd pass on Far Cry 2, it seems to run surprising well on lower end hardware, and I thought it was a pretty dull game.
Fallout 3 looks great (and is probably my favourite PC game from last year), but also seems to run well on older hardware.  Oblivion is also a classic, but I don't think it will push any new hardware to the limit (though it still looks pretty).

16-bit and loving it!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »

So it seems that Crysis is still the deal eh? I already have FarCry 2 for the 360, but only seem to get the urge to play it in shorts spurts.

Quote from: Windows95 on January 02, 2009, 03:49:48 PM

3) Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Seems able to eat up whatever your CPU/GPU can throw at it.

True...I have this one at the house ready to reinstall on a decent machine. I'm thinking a King Air from Vancouver to Seattle would be a nice lil jaunt. Have you tried this running in DX10? Any opinions?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »

Some quick picks:

1) Crysis and Crysis Warhead: Good for pushing graphic cards to their limits.  I really enjoyed both games as well.
5) Stalker: Clear Sky.  With all graphics set to max, makes my SLI GPU's cry.  Haven’t gotten far into the game, so can’t comment on how fun it is.

Crysis turns into a slideshow at max settings on my rather high-end system.  Clear Sky while not quite as bad still turns choppy at max in any area that really shows off the lighting effects.

Assassin's Creed and Fallout3 both run beautifully at max on my computer.  Both are still very attractive though.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »

Assassin's Creed is a nice looking game, but once you realize that Altair is an unstoppable killing machine with the power to effortlessly slaughter entire regiments of enemy guards, it sort of takes the wind out of the whole "stealthy assassin" concept.

I hope the sequel either tones down the protagonist's combat abilities to something more akin to the Thief series, or moves the action to someplace with more challenge-appropriate enemies.  Battling Cthulhu and its army of terminators and Ryu Hayabusa clones, for example.

-Autistic Angel
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »

Crysis is pretty, but aliens make it dumb.  I couldn't run it smoothly totally maxed, and my system is no slouch...

Far Cry 2 is pretty... it's decent, but disappointing.

COD: WaW looks really great, but I don't know how punishing it is graphically... great multiplayer though.  COD4 as well.

What about Gears of War?  I played it on 360, but it had great visuals.

Fallout 3 is super pretty...

Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 is really good looking with some tweaks (especially the pacific stuff), if you are into flight sims.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »

Quote from: Booner on January 02, 2009, 03:56:03 PM

So it seems that Crysis is still the deal eh? I already have FarCry 2 for the 360, but only seem to get the urge to play it in shorts spurts.

True...I have this one at the house ready to reinstall on a decent machine. I'm thinking a King Air from Vancouver to Seattle would be a nice lil jaunt. Have you tried this running in DX10? Any opinions?

Yes, I have pretty mixed feeling about the DX10 mode.  Unlike many other titles where DX10 seems to cause massive FPS slowdows, it seems on par with DX9 if not slightly faster.  There are however some pretty annoying graphical glitches.  Interior shadows on the 3D cockpits sounds great, but they're so blocky and ugly I prefer them off.  I've also noticed problems with exterior lighting at night, where landing/taxi lights don't seem to work.  Driver updates haven't seemed to fix this problem either, so I'm thinking the ball is in MS's court on this.  (I'm runnning 8800's in SLI for the record).  I've gone back to DX9 for now.  It's certainly nothing like the mock DX9/10 conception shots they released for FSX at the launch of DX10.

Keep in mind, DX10 support still isn't official.  You can select it as a "preview" mode, with I guess official DX10 support waiting for FSXI.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:54:44 PM by Windows95 » Logged

16-bit and loving it!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:44:36 AM »

Well, I'm finally up and going on the new machine. I've just finished installing and updating drivers, bios, basic software, blah blah blah....and just starting to install some games. Starting with 'Age of Conan', I figure that should push pretty hard...and I was very pleased to find copies of both 'Call of Duty:World at War' and 'FarCry 2' hiding in my box of newegg goodies. I wasn't expecting either, so I think I'm set.  nod

I'm hoping to actually get a chance to play something in the next hour, so I can see what this baby can do. eek

Anyways, thanks for the replies all...

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 05:03:25 AM »

Quote from: Booner on January 03, 2009, 03:44:36 AM

Well, I'm finally up and going on the new machine. I've just finished installing and updating drivers, bios, basic software, blah blah blah....and just starting to install some games. Starting with 'Age of Conan', I figure that should push pretty hard...and I was very pleased to find copies of both 'Call of Duty:World at War' and 'FarCry 2' hiding in my box of newegg goodies. I wasn't expecting either, so I think I'm set.  nod

I'm hoping to actually get a chance to play something in the next hour, so I can see what this baby can do. eek

Anyways, thanks for the replies all...

What are the specs?

Another couple of great PC games:

* The Witcher Enhanced

* Company of Heroes (with Opposing Fronts) - this game, with everything maxed, looks gorgeous and has been known to make PC's weep.

* King's Bounty is purrrrty
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:27 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on January 03, 2009, 05:03:25 AM

What are the specs?

Another couple of great PC games:

* The Witcher Enhanced

I actually have a copy of the Witcher somewhere.

As far as specs, it's not top-o-the-line, but it's a huge jump from where I was:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R Mobo
Intel e8500 @ 3.16
4 gigs Patriot DDR2-8500
BFG GTX 280OC
500 Gig WD 7200RPM Hard drive
800W PSU
Samsung 24" monitor

After spending a bit of time with Conan...I'm really impressed with the machine, all sliders absolutely maxed out, bloom on, at 1920x1200 and I'm sitting around 50fps in a small town.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: