http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 05:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: The Creepiest Game You Finished?  (Voting closed: January 23, 2005, 04:12:11 AM)
Silent Hill 2 - 2 (8.7%)
Silent Hill 3 - 1 (4.3%)
Silent Hill 4 - 1 (4.3%)
Resident Evil 4 - 7 (30.4%)
Resident Evil 3 - 0 (0%)
Fatal Frame - 2 (8.7%)
Fatal Frame II - 10 (43.5%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Creepiest Games - No Spoilers Please  (Read 2326 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2005, 04:12:11 AM »

I have blown two evenings in a row now playing Silent Hill 2.  Geez, does this game get freaky.  When I first picked it up, I thought it was just going to be running around town through the volumetric fog, doing dumb puzzles and hiding from the same 'thing' over and over.  I thought it was going to be, you know, boring.

But I'm nine hours in now and holy *ucking crap, does this game get freaky.  Mind*uck freaky.  Not so much one particular location, but just the psychological weight of place after place after place -- I don't even want to list the things that happen in case folks still have it sitting on their shelf.  Play it. already!

(You'll see creepier than this.)

To make myself completely wacked out over the next few months, I ordered up Silent Hill 4 and the first Fatal Frame, mosty based on Triggercut's fevered recommendation of the sequel (I want to play them in order).

Anyway, vote for your favorite creepiest consle game listed here or post-in others.  (I don't know PlayStation Games, for example.  Just the big titles.)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 04:43:52 AM »

I didn't vote in the poll, but will put in a write-in for the first Silent Hill.  I haven't played any of the sequels.

The part that creeped me out was when you go in the school and encounter the dead children with tiny knives.  Zombies are one thing, regardless of the state of decay, but a dead child with a knife...

I thought the twins in Resident Evil: Code Veronica were creepy because of how cold and they were, even as little kids.  It isn't a scary moment, but seeing their sense of wonder when they are pulling the wings off a dragonfly damaged my fragile psyche.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »

fatal frame...

i've never been more consistently, constantly creeped out by a game all the way thru than fatal frame - no guts, no gore, no hideous mutations, just a relentless, oppresive sense of isolation & fear. for me, it's like ico, one of those rare games you just have to experience, to the extent that words can't quite describe why it works so damn well (tho, obviously, a solid story & excellent graphics & sound help)...

if true horror (like some people say) isn't so much as what's around the next corner as it is what goes thru your mind as you approach the next corner, than no game's achieved the heights of true horror like fatal frame...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 04:24:26 PM »

Hmmm...for some reason, I'd always thought the Fatal Frame games were only on Xbox.  Looking at gamerankings.com though, I see that's not the case.  I may have to pick those up now, since I've heard so much about them.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »

Right now I think Resident Evil 4 is the haus du jour in this arena. Clover Studios recaptured everything that made the first one so creepy, you'll approach every single path wondering what's next. You look at every building wondering is some diseased village member or cult member is going to come charging out after you.

On top of that the atmosphere is set up perfectly. Nothing beats the game kicking off with you entering a room to see a woman pinned on the wall with a pitchfork to her face.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:19:08 PM »

Right now I think Resident Evil 4 is the haus du jour in this arena. Clover Studios recaptured everything that made the first one so creepy, you'll approach every single path wondering what's next. You look at every building wondering is some diseased village member or cult member is going to come charging out after you.

On top of that the atmosphere is set up perfectly. Nothing beats the game kicking off with you entering a room to see a woman pinned on the wall with a pitchfork to her face.

okay, here we go again...

i agree with you that re4 does recapture the feeling of the first one, except for a couple things:
1) the open areas make it a lot less claustrophobic
2) i wasn't 'wondering' after a while if a euro (or 2 or 3) was going to come charging out - i just plain knew...

put another way: there were 2 recent low-budget horror movies released the last couple years (in the u.s., anyway): 28 days later & ringu. 28 days was more shocking, & violent, & gross, but, to my mind, no way was it nearly as creepy as ringu...

put yet another way: john hurt's case of indigestion in alien was about as frightening/disturbing a movie moment as you'd wanna see, but, for sheer creepiness, nothing beat the unbelievably drawn-out bits where the crew explored the blacked-out ship trying to track the alien down...

while all horror games (& movies) contain a certain amount of both elements, shock & creepiness, the size of the portion of the one or the other varies. i think re1 had a pretty much even balance (with the 'licker-cam' movie segment being a favorite example of perfectly-done creepiness), but, as the series progressed, the amount of shock time, except for a few memorable moment, seemed to increase at the expense of the other...

which, among a few reasons, is why i like fatal frame so much - it's all about creepy horror (with a few shocking flashbacks thrown in for good measure), in much the same way pre- night of the living dead hollywood had been...

put one more way: whatshername walks into the bates motel in psycho, where she sees - a women impaled on the wall with a pitchfork through her head?! definitely would've been shocking, eh?... instead, she sees a bunch of glassy-eyed stuffed birds... creepy...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 03:47:24 AM »

Kind of surprised to see that Eternal Darkness isn't up here. That game was soooo ominous and scary. I mean talk about a mind***k  as your character loses sanity strange things begin to happen. I won't mention them, but if you have a cube give it a rent..

Ascendent
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 04:50:47 AM »

No offense to Eternal Darkness.  I only have an Xbox and am not really up on games for the other consoles.  Glad you brought it up, though.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »

i haven't played all of the list (no FFrame 2, only RE is 3, and no Silent Hills except 2) - of the ones i have played through, i'd say there are two tied for first place:  Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 1 - plus i agree with Ascendent on Eternal Darkness,  all three are equally creepy - "don't play with surround sound and the lights out" type of creepy.

i played through RE 3, but didn't find it creepy - probably i was too busy figuring out the controls and camera.  i'm looking forward to RE 4 and it's improved controls, and S Hill 4, but i'm going back top finish some other games first... finally!

speaking of that, i'm finishing Thief: Deadly Shadows right now, and i'll add an Honorable Mention for one section of the game - the "Cradle" section, that whole orphanage gig is totally creepy... the rest of the game is just tense and suspenseful, which isn't the same.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 05:42:56 PM »

Full game:
Clive Barkers Undying.  
Single level:
Thief 3 ShaleBridge Craddle.

that is all.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 10:08:54 PM »

Silent Hill is way up on the list, IMO.  There may be creepier games out there, but as stiffler mentioned, the kiddies with knives are pretty intense.  Another one not on the list is Gabriel Knight 2 - there were certain sections that were very very creepy... that game did a great job of constantly building the sense of dread.
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 08:01:57 PM »

I just watched my wife play FF2 Directors Cut (Yes, my wife actually plays video games!) and I have to say I must have nearly jumped out of my skin more times watching that game that any other.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 11:39:18 AM »

Fatal Frame 2 scared the crap out of me.  It started from the beginning and never let up.  There were times I didn't think I could finish it because I was getting so stressed out at certain points.  I also made a point to play in the dark with the sound turned up which didn't help any.  There was even a moment that made me yell out loud.  That never happened to me before, even during a scary movie.
It gets my vote for Scariest. Game. Ever.

Silent Hill 2 was pretty scary too, but I found the monsters to lose their scare factor about 2/3 of the way through.  Maybe more variety would have upped the tension.  Still, it's a very creepy game and it gets second place.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 04:46:42 PM »

bump!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 05:09:18 PM »

Add PC games!! Undying or System Shock 2 hands down beat any of these titles.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »

I'd definately add Eternal Darkness and Undying to the list.  Can't play either of those alone in a dark room.

Maybe I'm strange, but I never found any of the RE games to be very scary.  They're high on the gore factor, and had a couple "gotcha" moments, but overall I didn't think they weren't very creepy.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 06:45:47 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'd definately add Eternal Darkness and Undying to the list.  Can't play either of those alone in a dark room.

Maybe I'm strange, but I never found any of the RE games to be very scary.  They're high on the gore factor, and had a couple "gotcha" moments, but overall I didn't think they weren't very creepy.

You know, I felt the same way about Silent Hill. I only played SH2 and SH3, and I wouldnt call either game "scary". The only way I can think to describe them is..."disturbing".

Now, Undying had some genuine fright moments, as did System Shock2. Amazing how atmospheric those two games are.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 08:19:35 PM »

Undying didn't even make me flinch.  I never understood why it was supposed to be so scary.

I want to write-in for 'The Suffering.'  Sure, the "normal" parts of the game weren't that scary, (ie, the combat), but anything involving his murdered family and that creepy-ass eyeless blood-colored child that would flash whenever you were about to see his children being tortured to death in some fun way was just... wow.  Dr. Killjoy's sanitarium level was also fantastic and horrific -- anyone remember exploring the padded cells and finding the 'morality point' within?  That was disturbing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 01:55:39 AM »

I'm going with Fatal Frame 2. I don't own it, nor have I finished it, but I played it for about 45 minutes and that was freaky enough by itself to eclipse all the creepy games I played before.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 06:27:22 AM »

I voted RE4 because it was the closest to what I think, But RE1 is still the scariest experience I remember gaming.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 06:58:10 AM »

FF II:  Crimson Butterfly with my vote.  
Eternal Darkness was a great game, and when the sanity loss started to go on, you really got some wierd stuff, but I didnt find it creepy at all.  SOme suspense, but not really creepy.  I would have to agree with many here, that the dark sort of cant see it creepy is better than the gore horror.  Don't get me wrong, I like the gore horror games, and they usually look WAY better than the dark horror.  As for RE4.  Haven't played it yet.  Looks awesome, saw someone play it for a bit.  I would really like to give it a try though.  Then maybe I can make a more informed opnion on that game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: