http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 10:09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best system no one ever purchased: the Gameboy Micro  (Read 1376 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »

I've kinda always had this want for this little puppy but never felt that it was really necessary since I have a DS Lite.  I can safely say - for the price & quality - it was probably the best ~$50 I've spent on any sort of gaming equipment.  And it's a video game system!

The picture quality is crisp & clean.  I have no idea what the battery life is, but I've yet to ever have it die on me.  The d-pad & button placement are excellent.  It's as sturdy as a rock and durable as all hell.  And it's as portable as a handheld can get.

The only 'cons' I can see some having are the L-R triggers & the size of the screen.  Yes, the screen size is a little smaller than the size if you played a GBA on the Lite.  It might be hard for those with slightly poor eyesight.  The L-R triggers are a bit wonky, but they work.  I'm fully able to dash in Castlevania to the best of my ability   icon_biggrin

SO yes.  The Gameboy Micro - it really is a fantastic little system.  If you have some GBA games you want to bang out, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending picking up this little beauty.  It allows portability in a small & extremely nice package.  Anyone else love this little system?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

I tried one out, but as someone who thinks the PSP screen is small, this thing just gave me a headache. Seriously how you can play on one of these things for any extended period of time and not get some sort of eye strain.. I just don't know.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:41:27 PM »

If it was compatible with Gameboy and GBC games I would probably grab one but I believe they dropped that functionality when they went to the Micro. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 12, 2007, 05:37:37 PM

I tried one out, but as someone who thinks the PSP screen is small, this thing just gave me a headache. Seriously how you can play on one of these things for any extended period of time and not get some sort of eye strain.. I just don't know.
I have 20/10 eyesight... soooooo maybe that has something to do with being able to play it for an extended amount of time.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »

I loved the look of it, but the smaller screen killed my interest. I would probably overlook the screen size if it played GBC games, since i am stuck on my SP for that. It was also too expensive when it came out.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »

It's certainly a nifty little gadget, but just looking at it makes my hand cramp up.  I have problems with the DS Lite being too small, so I know there's no way I could use one of those.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »

Why would I as a DS owner want one?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2007, 06:01:16 PM

Why would I as a DS owner want one?
That's where I was hung up on as well - why would I want one?  Answers:

-sexy as hell
-I HATE playing GBA games on my Lite - it's just personally uncomfortable for me to play on one screen only
-ultra portable
-cheap

unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »

Can it play GB/GBC games?  I forget if the GBA was backward compatible.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:03 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 12, 2007, 06:44:35 PM

Can it play GB/GBC games?  I forget if the GBA was backward compatible.

The GBA and GBA SP were BC with the GB/GBC, however the GBA Micro is *not*. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:27:04 PM »

I gave away my GBA SP and hoped to play GBA games on my DS.  But I hate how the cartridge sticks out of the DS Lite.  So I bought a Micro at Micro Center for $39.99 and have been very happy with it.  It is the only portable console that truely does fit in my pocket.  I have been playing Final Fantasy 1 and FF Tactics Advance on my Micro for a few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:35:45 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »

I never saw the sense in the micro. especially if you have a Cell Phone. Screens are the same size and I don't have to change cartridges. its all saved on the phone.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »

Well as I've played or owned exactly 0 GBA games and I'm interested in possibly owning exactly 1 of them, I doubt I'll be making the investment.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:28:10 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on February 12, 2007, 10:15:36 PM

I never saw the sense in the micro. especially if you have a Cell Phone. Screens are the same size and I don't have to change cartridges. its all saved on the phone.

Well the reason to own a GBA Micro over a cell phone is that it gives you access to the GBA library of games. Which IMO is the best handheld gaming library in existence.

Anyways...I bougth a micro for my daugther's birthday last year while I was away on business. And of course being the curious cat I am, I opened it and tested it out. I was very surprised by how easy it was to view the screen -much better quality than my GBA SP- and how easy it was for me to use it considering I have large hands. Of course it fits my daughters hands that much better and is more comfortable for her than a GBA SP. The layout of the buttons on the micro is excellent which is why it can accomadate different size hands.

My only complaint with it is that it doesn't support the same GameCube link and GBA link cables that the GBA & GBA SP's support. So in order for her to trade Pokemons with her brother and friends I had to purchase the Micro Link cable and a Micro adapter. The same is true for the Micro and the GBA wireless adaptor.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 02:25:28 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 13, 2007, 12:28:10 AM

So in order for her to trade Pokemons with her brother and friends I had to purchase the Micro Link cable and a Micro adapter. The same is true for the Micro and the GBA wireless adaptor.

Umm Yeah.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nintendo is making (lots of) money.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 13, 2007, 02:25:28 AM

Quote from: kronovan on February 13, 2007, 12:28:10 AM

So in order for her to trade Pokemons with her brother and friends I had to purchase the Micro Link cable and a Micro adapter. The same is true for the Micro and the GBA wireless adaptor.

Umm Yeah.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nintendo is making (lots of) money.

LOL  icon_biggrin Yup you're right denoginizer, Nintendo is definitely making a lot of money and sometimes in quite clandestine ways. But to be fair the link cable and adaptor did only cost me about $20. Plus even as early as a year ago the Micro had already seen 2 price drops, so it really didn't cost me a cent more than a GBA SP. And even better, wait and hold for the big clincher, I could get one with a pink ladybug skin. Which was real important at the time since the coral pink GBA's were no where to be found and damn it my daughter wanted one! Of course as I played it at the airports on my way home I umm...swapped out the ladybug skin for the cool black one.  icon_cool
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 06:01:17 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 12, 2007, 10:44:43 PM

Well as I've played or owned exactly 0 GBA games and I'm interested in possibly owning exactly 1 of them, I doubt I'll be making the investment.

OMFG +1 2 U
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »

i wouldnt mind having one,the thought of getting one has crossed my mind for sneeky in work plays...but as i already have the DSlite,i thought that i could do without

still amazes me how small the thing is...only just looks bigger than the cartridge,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: