http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:36:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best game on the PSP - DJ Max Portable *SEQUEL ANNOUNCED!!!* *NOW SHIPPING*  (Read 1957 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »

DJ Max Portable

YouTube link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=C0h6hCaaRwg

Nice review

SCREENSHOTS

Quite possibility the best rhythm game I've ever played, DJ Max Portable is rhythm crack on the PSP.  The game features a crazy assortment of music from Jpop to JRock and Acid Jazz to DnB with "hardcore" and "classical techno" inbetween.  The songs are quite varied (even some that are midly amusing, such as an animal one) and make it so you don't really get bored of any one song.

The game plays like any other beat game - hit a button when you need to hit the corresponding "beat."  In this game, the bars scroll downwards.  They first let you start with the (still quite hard) four button configuration - <, ^, triangle, and circle.  Then you can advance to six button or eight button playing.  The difficulty is definately there as well - at first I was frustrated because it was so hard.  But once you get practicing and just playing, you'll be able to hit the notes as they're flying down the screen.  The game can get insanely fast (not quite as fast as that video at YouTube) but it starts you off at a very easy pace.

Also, of course beats come in single button presses.  But as the difficulty ramps up, you'll be having to hit three buttons correspondingly, hold down buttons for a long beat, and even hold down a button AND spin the analog stick.

The "theme" of the game is a sort of Korea-anime theme that sports cute visuals.  Be forewarned - if you don't like "Anime" you probably wouldn't like this game.  The videos that play in the background are movies of drawings or even video clips.  They vary from song to song as well.

There are a LOT of unlockables to unlock, such as getting various percentages to how many beats you hit in a song and so forth.  You'll be obtaining new songs, images, and "discs" for rewards.

Along with the actual game, you can play any song using the OST menu or even just watch the videos of any song as well.

The game is very import friendly.  You just won't be able to read some of the unlockable achievements when you actually unlock them.  Not to worry though, since you can just go to the menu and it will say "New!" by whatever you unlocked.

Unfortunately, you can only import DJ Max Portable for around $50.  But, if you're a fan of beat games and like / don't mind anime (including some weird songs, like one where someone is taping animated girls on the beach?  And there are the typical "panty" shots here and there), then I would highly recommend this game for you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:24:06 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »

I was prepared to dog you out, but I checked a few vids and this actually looks fun. I'll keep it in mind for my next psp purchase.

Ascendent
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

Is there English in the game, or all Japanese?  PSPs aren't region locked then?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:30:03 PM »

As long as the menus are navigable in even poor English, I'm in (next month, when I get paid).

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:45:53 PM »

Should have read the review:

I don't think I've ever imported a game that was as friendly to English readers, either. Despite being a Korean title, all tracklistings are in English, as are the majority of the game's menus. Hell, even about half of the songs are in English. Since all PSPs are region-free, that's another potential headache to not worry about.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »

I may just have to check this out. Thanks, Dep.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:45:57 PM »

I imported this a good while back and think very highly of it, though I like Ouendan for the DS better.  DJ Portable Max is also very difficult.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:25 AM »

Yep, it's quite difficult.  But I just worked at it . . . and I'm getting progressively better.

It's just a really good game if you like beat/rhythm/anime games.  It brings it all together really nicely.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 02:35:49 PM »

I saw this being played at Project A-kon, and thought it was cool.  It is on he same lines as the Beatmania series, and looks to be as difficult.  (For the record..I got to see beatmania being played by some experts...wow)  Still, it had a pretty cool anime style and I liked the music I heard.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »

Saw this at Kotaku:

DJ Max Portable 2 has just been announced by Pentavision.  Wonderful!  DJ Max Portable STILL stands up as my favorite rhythm game and, probably, my favorite PSP game (shhh!  Don't tell VP:L!).  I would still highly, highly recommend those who enjoy rhythm games (and a little bit of anime since this game is infected some rediculous anime mini-stories during the songs) to import DJ Max Portable.

Links here:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/dj-max/the-overlooked-psp-game-218224.php
http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=15165

CrimsonFox
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:00:08 AM »

These games are freakin fun.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »

DJ MAX PORTABLE 2 IS NOW SHIPPING

Have my order in.  Wish I could get the deluxe version... but it's $160-odd buckaroos.  And that's nutty.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-1u9y.html

Couple of things they added:

-English language selection (the previous one didn't have this but it was incredibly import friendly)
-New gameplay mode
-Music video isn't somewhat blocked by the actual playing surface

WOOOOOOO!

OMFG AWESOME trailer!!  http://youtube.com/watch?v=brRQHFruRE0

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:38:25 PM by depward » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

I'm gonna grab it biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:54:03 AM »

I do believe I will this time as well.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »

I am really tempted to get this...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 04:52:44 AM »

I got this in the mail the other day from PlayAsia and it's tons of fun.   thumbsup This is the most action my PSP has seen since I bought it.   thumbsup 
Tons of content and good music.  It's difficult, but it's slowly getting a little easier the more time I spend playing.   It's so addicting.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 06:42:25 AM »

Yeah, loving the leveling system and such.  Good tunes.  Pretty much mastered the 4beat songs (from previous DJ Max Portable experience) - now doing pretty well on 5 beat songs...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 07:58:57 AM »

With this, Crush, and the Killzone online patch my psp has been getting a ton of playtime

Fun fun fun, so many good games coming out for the PSP.  Finally!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 05:55:16 AM »

The games are finally coming to the US in the form of DJ Max Fever, a compilation of the two DJ Max Portable games.  The games look like a lot of fun in the videos I've seen, so I'll definitely be getting this.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »

Does anyone know a release date on this? 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 27, 2008, 02:42:35 PM

Does anyone know a release date on this? 

November 11.  Highly recommend it...

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31:23 PM »

while I usually suck at rythm games, the style and the music are right up my alley.  I had been considering importing the first two for some time. (Especially after watching someone play it at Project A-Kon a year or so ago).

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: