http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The beginning of the end for E3?  (Read 590 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:01:51 AM »

Between noise regs and making booth babes wear more clothes is it the beginning of the end for E3?

NCsoft has been fined $5000 for too loud a booth and they wont be coming back. Will more follow suit?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17009

The publisher will be complying with the decision regarding the fine, but the company's VP of strategic development, Fred Schmidt, has suggested that NCsoft may choose an alternative venue to present its games next year, snubbing the most recognisable and highly attended trade event for the industry.
Addressing the assembled crowd during the event, Schmidt stated: "We're not sure we're on the same plane with this organisation... We have been harassed for three days straight, and I'm not sure we're coming back here, but we are going to have a party next year - real near here - and we hope you all will come."

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:07:02 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Between noise regs and making booth babes wear more clothes is it the beginning of the end for E3?

NCsoft has been fined $5000 for too loud a booth and they wont be coming back. Will more follow suit?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17009

The publisher will be complying with the decision regarding the fine, but the company's VP of strategic development, Fred Schmidt, has suggested that NCsoft may choose an alternative venue to present its games next year, snubbing the most recognisable and highly attended trade event for the industry.
Addressing the assembled crowd during the event, Schmidt stated: "We're not sure we're on the same plane with this organisation... We have been harassed for three days straight, and I'm not sure we're coming back here, but we are going to have a party next year - real near here - and we hope you all will come."

Doubt it.  E3 isn't about booth babes to be sure, and if NCsoft doesn't rent a booth next year they will probably pick up the torch that Gathering Of Developers once carried with the 'booth' out in a lot across the street from the convention center.

Actually, I hope they do that biggrin  would be much more fun biggrin:D:D

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:17:56 AM »

Ive dreamed of going to CES then E3 since 1990 but I woulda rather gone to that GOD party even more.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:59:31 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ive dreamed of going to CES then E3 since 1990 but I woulda rather gone to that GOD party even more.

Aside from free beer they weren't really anything special.

And the lot itself is gone, they put a building up there now.

(Of course, I hope they find a way to do it too, because I'm not going to pass up free beer either smile )
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 02:13:00 AM »

So tell me what NCSoft has that I'd be missing next year? slywink

You want deafening? Try the Konami booth and the Namco booth both in the same proximity with both cranked up to a 15. When the MGS4 trailer started at the same time as the Hellgate: London trailer you couldn't hear out of either ear.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:27:27 AM »

Personally, I would love to see them do away with E3, or atleast any kind of public access, I'd also like to see them scale the whole thing back a lot. I'd rather see a couple of smaller regional shows.

The GDC is becoming more important and relevant compared to E3. It's only a matter of time before E3 declines to the point of disinterest, but it won't die until MS, Sony and Nintendo decline to show up. Imagine if one or two of them had their own three day event and invited the press during the same time as E3. It'd be pandemonium.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 05:06:09 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So tell me what NCSoft has that I'd be missing next year? slywink

You want deafening? Try the Konami booth and the Namco booth both in the same proximity with both cranked up to a 15. When the MGS4 trailer started at the same time as the Hellgate: London trailer you couldn't hear out of either ear.

I was just about to bitch about how *!@#%! loud Konami's booth was last year. You couldn't get anywhere near the damned place whenever last year's MGS trailer fired up without getting deafened. Honestly, it made me want to unplug/damage a few things every time I heard that trailer.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:26:08 AM »

This makes no sense.  I don't recall the NCSoft booth being loud at all.  I dropped in and talked to their head of marketing and could hear him fine. *shrug*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 05:46:28 AM »

From my understanding, NCSoft had some sort of live band playing one day, and that's what got them in trouble. Not really sure of the exact details.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 06:07:08 AM »

They're talking about Mutaytor.  Apparently Sega had people with sound monitors aimed at the NCSoft booth and reported them if they got over the line.  Dunno, tho.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 06:26:42 AM »

I wasn't nearby when Mutaytor was playing, but I hear they were very loud.  And I saw their stage setup earlier in the day.  They had 4 or 5 separate drumkits set up on stage.  It looked nuts.  I probably should've gone and checked it out.  But it did look like they were basically flaunting the noise regulations.  It's bad enough without things that seem to be designed to be nothing but loud.

Overall I think this year was less noisy and less crowded (getting tickets without paying was much harder) than the last few years, and that's a good thing.  Putting a rock band on the floor doesn't help anyone.

Now get off of my lawn, you kids.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 06:39:18 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
I wasn't nearby when Mutaytor was playing, but I hear they were very loud.  And I saw their stage setup earlier in the day.  They had 4 or 5 separate drumkits set up on stage.  It looked nuts.  I probably should've gone and checked it out.  But it did look like they were basically flaunting the noise regulations.  It's bad enough without things that seem to be designed to be nothing but loud.

Overall I think this year was less noisy and less crowded (getting tickets without paying was much harder) than the last few years, and that's a good thing.  Putting a rock band on the floor doesn't help anyone.

Now get off of my lawn, you kids.

Ahh, yea - I did hear them warming up.  I was headed into a booth during that mess.  I missed it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

From Bill Harris:
"NCsoft won the coveted Assholes of E3 award (which I also refer to as "The Akklaim Award") with some sort of live band thing with a woman who was breathing fire. At least, that's what I think I saw—I was too busy gouging my eyes out to be sure."

I think E3 will be fine smile
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 02:11:52 PM »

I'm sure other companies broke the regulation as well but weren't fined.   Ok, so file an official complaint.  They violated the rules intended to cut back the circus atmosphere and were caught.  That VP just sounds like an an immature a-hole on a publicity stunt.  "Look at us!  See how cool we are!"
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »

The problem is that E3 is supposed to be a trade show for journalists and retail representatives and instead some companies view it as a public show and act that way.  It's a good thing that the organizers are trying to tone down the public aspects of the show.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 09:10:08 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
From Bill Harris:
"NCsoft won the coveted Assholes of E3 award (which I also refer to as "The Akklaim Award") with some sort of live band thing with a woman who was breathing fire. At least, that's what I think I saw—I was too busy gouging my eyes out to be sure."

What's his site again?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
From Bill Harris:

What's his site again?

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 11:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "ATB"
From Bill Harris:

What's his site again?

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

Bill Harris is pretty funny; been reading him since the GG days.

That said, I was suprised by the photo of him on Gamers With Jobs from this years E3.  He's older than I imagined.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 06:59:57 PM »

I've been attending the E3 show since I turned 18, 2006 was my 6th consecutive year in a row. Every year is basically the same story, to me it didn't seem louder or toned down, although it definately wasn't as crowded as last year. I do agree that a few booths need to turn down the volume, I had a hard time playing WoW: Burning Crusade with the speakers screaming in my ears. They definately are making an effort to tone down the booth babe's costumes though, while I was in the media registration room a model dressed up as Wonder Woman was arguing with someone from the show, he wouldn't let her wear her costume (which I admit was pretty damn revealing).

As far as the appeal of the show, I don't know why a select few choose to complain about it every year. I understand that its an industry event but that doesn't mean we should all have to show up in suits and ties with our notepads ready to take notes. To me the show is about having fun, getting together with a bunch of other gamers who are there to have a good time and gawk at all the new games, and basically just become recharged about the industry as a whole so when I go back to work I'm pumped up about the games and gaming in general.

Let the GDC be the watered down version of E3, I like my E3 how it is.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: