http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Banner Saga  (Read 2773 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 23, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

I've heard the combat compared to Final Fantasy Tactics (certainly a favorite of mine). Is that true?  icon_smile

Blackguards (another turn-based tactical RPG that) just completed Early Access on Steam and released the other day earlier than expected. Enjoying it OK, but assigning the roughly zillion action points gets on my nerve and the battles tend to involve a lot of popping up a menu and rolling your mouse around to choose menus within nested sub menus. Perhaps Banner Saga would be more my style.
Roughly I guess but I think of it more like elaborate chess. Positioning is very important and for the most part each character only has a regular attack and one special attack. Stat management is pretty minimal and each character can only equip one item.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 02:03:51 PM »

After passing the 50-hour mark in Blackguards, I wanted a little change of pace so finally got this last night. Put 3 hours into it. Lot of fun, very addictive. While there's a lot going on, it doesn't feel painfully micromanaging to me. And aside from assigning one buff-equipment per character, no inventory to speak of (Blackguards is a constant inventory minder).

While some basic concepts echo Blackguards' turn-based combat (which made it pretty easy for me to get into Banner Saga quickly), it's also very different. Doesn't seem to be any ability to heal (no healer, no potions etc.) and to this point haven't gotten any spellcaster types in Banner Saga. Blackguards focuses on the environment in maps playing a role, much of the time, and with Saga it's very much the battle tactics focused on rather than the environment (during combat).

A few pics:

Very cool look (this is one of many Camps), though sometimes I struggle a bit to pick out what to click on the camp screen (text not always as easy to see as on this one).

Animation's very cool. While it gets a tad bloody, this isn't, say, Age of Conan or Game of Thrones - you spend a lot of time battling robots that seem to be from a Hanna Barbera cartoon.  icon_smile

Sometimes the start point is surrounded. You can reposition characters' starting points within a preset starting field of squares.

I'm still grasping what character is best suited to do what. Have to pay attention to the armor/health ratings; sometimes a fearsome looking character has very little armor rating to start. Most enjoy Rook's (Hunter class) "marked" attack, which causes adjacent friendlies to auto-attack the target too if in range.

The classes are really cool and distinct:
http://stoicstudio.com/classes/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:10:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »

Here's some of the special abilities for the various classes. Lot more than this, I just got screenshots for these.  icon_smile

Hunter: Mark of Prey

*I love the visuals on this. The tricky part is lining up a target so you have at least a couple of other friendlies adjacent to it who can do an auto-attack after your Mark. Hunters also have a basic bow attack, and a pretty strong melee axe attack - a very versatile class.  icon_cool

Raidmaster: Stone Wall

*Makes you "tanky." I'm a bit unclear on how long the effect lasts.

Thrasher: Bloody Flail

*Pretty fun, flailing animation. Per the description, has a random effect of slashing at an enemy's armor or strength (health).

Eagle Eye: Thread the Needle

*Not always easy to line up enemies in a straight line, and this damages friendlies on the target line too. I mistakenly took out one of my own guys this morning. Well, it's hard sometimes to tell who's who.  icon_razz

Skystriker: Rain of Arrows

*To me the ability name is sort of ill-fitting. This is more of a one-square "trap" arrow that stops a target and keeps it from doing anything else on that turn. I haven't really mastered using it and have found Skystriker awfully fragile, so I just haven't ranked her to the point that she can fire 2 or 3 arrows (and then live up more to the ability name)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:09:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »

figured I'd post this if anyone is still looking for a copy.
Steam has this for sale until Friday
Regular/Deluxe
$16.74/$20.09

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »

i think a four-pack can be had for $50, if anyone's interested
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »

I'll go in on a 4-pack, I have paypal ability.

I'm digging turn based tactics right now, having a blast with Dogs of War: Online as well.

steam name is Harkonis
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »

I can go in on a 4-pack as well with paypal.  steam name Countach.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:27 AM »

I'd like to go in on a four-pack if there's still a spot available - My Steam name is dorthzborn

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »

Since the sale ends in 24 hours, is anyone still interested in the 4-pack?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »

fwiw, while I give it two thumbs up, I get my ass kicked in it regularly. You smart folks might fare better.  icon_smile I wish it had some form of co-op (don't think it does).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 13, 2014, 09:44:04 PM

Since the sale ends in 24 hours, is anyone still interested in the 4-pack?

I'm still interested.  Countach

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 01:14:28 AM »

I've never done one of these four-packs before, but I guess we'd need someone who is set up to accept Paypal payments to buy the game, who we would then reimburse.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »

In unless someone else wants the spot.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »

did you guys get a 4th person?

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »

I don't have anything in my inventory so I don't think anyone has bought it yet.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

well, if nobody bought the 4-pack, you can get it from Gamefly digital for $13.35  after discount code MAR20OFF

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

This just came out on ios for $10.  I picked it up despite having a ton of games to play.  It just looks so darn pretty!

So if you were giving one tip for people starting out, what would you tell them?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »

Donít get too attached to your party members.  They have Game of Thrones syndrome.

Party members will live or die based on your decisions in and out of combat.

Party members who wonít die.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe there are only 4 characters that CANíT die over the course of the game.  Rook and Alette will be with you for the entire game.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »

I want this too but I also have too many games on iPad in my backlog. I need to stop buying so many damn puzzle based games on iPad that I hold myself to finishing but never finish because I get stuck and uninterested.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 03, 2014, 08:47:16 PM

Donít get too attached to your party members.  They have Game of Thrones syndrome.

Party members will live or die based on your decisions in and out of combat.

Party members who wonít die.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I believe there are only 4 characters that CANíT die over the course of the game.  Rook and Alette will be with you for the entire game.

Good to know.  I read the spoiller becuase I have to many games to not take every bit of help I can get.

I want this too but I also have too many games on iPad in my backlog. I need to stop buying so many damn puzzle based games on iPad that I hold myself to finishing but never finish because I get stuck and uninterested.

I believe the Room 3 is coming out soon. smile

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 03:34:09 AM »

Interested in this to on iOS, thanks for the info.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: