http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Banner Saga  (Read 2441 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »

http://stoicstudio.com/

it's a strategy RPG with a nice hand drawn look to it.

Short answer: role-playing meets turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings.

Travel through stunning landscapes straight out of an animated film as your party escapes what could be the end of everything. Battle painstakingly hand-animated foes in strategic, turn-based combat. Make decisions with real consequences in conversations with people you'll actually care about.

The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy. Hope you'll join the caravan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »

Nice find! Coming out this year too. Have to admire these guys. I remember when PB first formed before the first Gothic games. It was 5 guys in a house. Now it's 25 guys in the same house. I hope the best for this three guys. Not the biggest fan of cel games, but adult viking rpg and strat stuff? Could be a lot of fun.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 02, 2012, 06:10:08 PM

Nice find! Coming out this year too. Have to admire these guys. I remember when PB first formed before the first Gothic games. It was 5 guys in a house. Now it's 25 guys in the same house. I hope the best for this three guys. Not the biggest fan of cel games, but adult viking rpg and strat stuff? Could be a lot of fun.
I feel like I'm failing this IQ test.  Is it 5 guys, 25 guys, or 3 guys?

The game looks promising.  Cell shaded, viking themed rpg, with grid, turn based combat?  If they can pull that off, I'm there, regardless of how many guys are on the development team Tongue    
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:12:37 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »

Looks very cool.  Nice find CK.   thumbsup

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »

wow, almost missed their Kickstarter, which ends in about 23 hours.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »

I was really hoping they would hit the $700,000 mark but it looks like they will fall a bit short.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »

The last 24 hours on kickstarter projects can see a pretty big influx.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

havent checked it out beyond reading the blurb from cks original post (LOL "original ck" anyone?) but that spot made it sound like king of dragon pass

which reminds me - anyone know if king of dragon pass will run on win 7?  and want to sell me a copy?

slywink
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on April 20, 2012, 12:58:23 AM

which reminds me - anyone know if king of dragon pass will run on win 7?  and want to sell me a copy?

slywink

If you have an iPad, it is $10.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »

After nearly two years of waiting, The Banner Saga is finally out and available for purchase. Here's my review:

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/valhalla-trail-banner-saga-review/

Such a beautiful game.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 14, 2014, 03:00:48 PM

After nearly two years of waiting, The Banner Saga is finally out and available for purchase. Here's my review:

Such a beautiful game.

awesome review... too bad I'm have a huge back log, but I'm sure I'll pick this up during the Steam Spring or Summer Sale

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »

This games seems to be right up my alley, pre-loading it on Steam now.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on January 14, 2014, 03:00:48 PM

Such a beautiful game.

Thanks David.  Everything about this game looked wonderful, but I'd been waiting for some actual reviews before pulling the trigger. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »

I was ready to purchase, especially after the GT review, but then I read RPS's "Wot I Think" on it. Sounds like it really bogs down and becomes tedious. Going to wait for some impressions I think.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »

RPS seems to be the odd one out on this.  Most reviews are pretty positive. 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »

I’ve played a couple hours now and overall I’m really enjoying it.  I thought the early section was a bit muddled with the game throwing a bunch of characters at you but really picked up once you got to the human protagonists.  The early game has you playing as a bunch of giants that are a bit hard to keep track of but that only seems to last about 30 minutes.  Afterwards, you take control of a huntsman and his daughter and end up leading a band of survivors.  I assume the two groups will meet up later on but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

I’m impressed how much your choices seem to matter.  During an early scene I had to decide whether to attack an enemy or try to distract him instead. I chose wrong and a party member was killed outright.  I was curious if it was preventable, and on reloading, managed to save the character and was allowed to use him in the next battle.

I have encountered a couple problems, however.  I’ve already encountered a couple different occasions where the dialogue just seems “off”, as if the person writing didn’t have a strong grasp of English.  Also, the game frequently gives you new characters but doesn’t let you see their special abilities until after you have assigned them to a battle order.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »

Nice, I kickstarted but haven't played any of the beta stuff. Excited to try it out now...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:47 AM »

Agh. Started this tonight and enjoying it, but I just did something stupid and my best fighter is now dead  crybaby
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 03:46:01 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 16, 2014, 02:28:47 AM

Agh. Started this tonight and enjoying it, but I just did something stupid and my best fighter is now dead  crybaby

That seems to be a common problem.

Looking through various forums seems to say wait on this one. I want to support them for releasing an OS X version, but I don't think I would like it going by the posts/reviews I am seeing.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 16, 2014, 03:46:01 AM

Looking through various forums seems to say wait on this one.

Please excuse me if I don't take that seriously with no references, when compared to the metacritic rating of 84, with 23 out of 25 reviews very positive and the remaining two mixed. What are you supposed to wait for, according to those forum posts? The game is supposedly solid, both in terms of polish and playability.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:45 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 16, 2014, 05:22:04 AM

Quote from: Lee on January 16, 2014, 03:46:01 AM

Looking through various forums seems to say wait on this one.

Please excuse me if I don't take that seriously with no references, when compared to the metacritic rating of 84, with 23 out of 25 reviews very positive and the remaining two mixed. What are you supposed to wait for, according to those forum posts? The game is supposedly solid, both in terms of polish and playability.

Hell if I care if you take me seriously. If it sounds good to you, buy it, I am not trying to steer anyone away from it, just stating it doesn't seem like something I am interested in and others should read around if they are interested. For reference I read Qt3 forums, Steam forums, reddit, Tom Chicks impressions, and the reviews on Metacritic (most of which I have no faith in, good or bad, besides the sites I trust, being RPS and Eurogamer). Sounds like a decent game, but needs refining. Don't want to be frustrated by an overly compacted story that is hard to follow (which is a common complaint), losing characters over a multiple choice questions, and a battle system that is easy once you figure it out but becomes repetitive. The only thing that is prevalent is that it's beautiful, which isn't enough to convince me to buy it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 06:25:58 AM »

So why wait, as you said would be a good idea? None of the things you mention will be changed by waiting. These are inherent to the game design. This is why I called you out.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 16, 2014, 06:25:58 AM

So why wait, as you said would be a good idea? None of the things you mention will be changed by waiting. These are inherent to the game design. This is why I called you out.

Because they could change/improve things from feedback (for instance I would expect the save system to be vastly improved and the story tracking issues to be fleshed out). If not, I can wait until chapter 2 to see what they do with it. If I then feel compelled to get the first one on sale at that point, great. $25 isn't much, but more than I am willing to pay for a game that in its current form seems to need some work.

Heck if I start seeing people finishing the game and singing its praises, I am in. Just not now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:30:54 AM by Lee » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »

I saw this last night at a friends house, and it looked absolutely gorgeous! Such a great design, awesome voiceovers and impressively done drawings, all getting together a mood I haven't seen in a game in a long time.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the combat, but then again, I didn't try it myself, so who knows. All in all, I'd say this is really worth getting from what little I've seen.

A new one
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

If you’re on the fence this might push you over. TotalBiscuit just ran his WTF on the game.  Pretty positive but he also points out some of the problems he has encountered.  Worth a watch.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »

I'm slowly falling in love with this. Was a bit disappointed at first as it seemed a lot simpler than I thought and mostly storytelling. But as you get into it nd are forced to make tough choices and trying to decide where to spend your upgrade points it gets a lot more interesting and I'm getting invested. Definitely not for twitch gamers or players with short attention spans, since I'm neither of those I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 04:15:52 AM »

Things really pick up in the second half of the game.  I’ve just made it through chapter 6 and things are looking pretty bleak for my party.  The atmosphere of the late game is really quite impressive in just how oppressive it is.  My caravan is starving, I’ve been forced to abandon multiple villagers to their own fate and a recent event upset me more than expected from a game like this. 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 03:47:49 AM »

I enjoyed it. Battles didn't have enough variation though. Still, looking forward to part two. I also wish there was more of a middle between easy and normal. A couple battles were really hard on normal, but easy on easy.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »

Finished the game tonight. Overall I’m pretty happy with it but the final battle pissed me off.  The game is not easy to begin with but the ending goes from a steep hill to a sheer cliff.  My party was just not equipped to deal with the “unique” win condition.  After 4 failed attempts I had to drop the difficulty, and even then it was pretty hard for my party.

Despite my ending difficulties I would still give the game a solid 8/10. It's just a shame that with a little more polish and ending consideration, it could have gone from "Good" to a classic.

Some general strategy advice to avoid my trouble.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Get at least two characters to armor break 3, preferably archers.

Very specific spoiler strategy advice.
Spoiler for Hiden:
One of the archers NEEDS to be Alette or you will regret it in the final battle.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »

Finished. Have to say I'm a tad disappointed. Should have stuck to my policy of not buying a game till it hits $10. The RPG portion of this was pretty sparse and over all it's been forever since I finished a game in 6 days. So it was way short. But I did enjoy myself while I played so it wasn't a waste by any means. And I give them credit for this as well: Easy mode was easy. I had tried the last battle on normal 3 times and couldn't beat it. Probably would have eventually but didn't want to. Easy took it right down. Nice.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »

The makers of Candy Crush Saga are legally going after The Banner Saga because...they both have the word "saga" in their name, which they claim is "deceptively confusing".  No, that is not a joke.

I might buy two copies just to give them a little more ammo to fight this bullshit.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »

Yeah, saw repeated stories today that King is going after all sorts of other software companies for their titles. They have "candy" trademarked or something. Seems a bit nuts. I agree, I almost want to buy a copy just to support them (but I am really not interested in the game at this point).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 04:11:19 AM »

Sounds like some people let the success of their flash in the pan facebook and phone game get to their head, and hired accordingly.

But, like the idiot who had the Edge trademark, there's going to be some big entities that will step in to slap them down. One of which could be Disney, since one of their properties involves Candy Rush for Wreck it Ralph.

US trademark and patent law needs a huge overhaul to make them less ridiculously litigious.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »

For veteran strategy game players, would you recommend the game be played on normal difficulty, or hard difficulty?
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 01:09:38 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 22, 2014, 12:38:39 PM

For veteran strategy game players, would you recommend the game be played on normal difficulty, or hard difficulty?

I would play it on hard. I played on normal and did not have much of a challenge until the last battle. Keep in mind it's a pretty linear game with check point saves so if you lose you pretty much have to live with the results unless you want to go far back.   
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 22, 2014, 04:11:19 AM

Sounds like some people let the success of their flash in the pan facebook and phone game get to their head, and hired accordingly.

But, like the idiot who had the Edge trademark, there's going to be some big entities that will step in to slap them down. One of which could be Disney, since one of their properties involves Candy Rush for Wreck it Ralph.

US trademark and patent law needs a huge overhaul to make them less ridiculously litigious.

yeah, I read this earlier.  I hope the negative fallout from this bull comes back to bite them in the ass

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 22, 2014, 03:47:13 PM

yeah, I read this earlier.  I hope the negative fallout from this bull comes back to bite them in the ass

Kotaku had an interesting follow-up piece this morning.  Quote from a spokesman from King, the Candy Crush makers:

"We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content," a spokesperson for King, the makers of Candy Crush Saga, told Kotaku. "However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

"In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga's trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of "Saga" was legitimate."

What's happening is more a function of the borked up US copyright laws.  If King doesn't go after Banner Saga to prove that they are actively trying to protect their brand, that lack of action can be used against them when an actual copycat pops up.

I don't think that excuses going after Banner Saga, but I (sadly) kinda get why they're doing it.  Our system is f-ed up.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »

Damn, finally caught up on the Saga saga.  I had been planning to wait for a price drop on Banner Saga, but now I almost want to just buy it now at full price just to show support.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 22, 2014, 04:26:01 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 22, 2014, 03:47:13 PM

yeah, I read this earlier.  I hope the negative fallout from this bull comes back to bite them in the ass

Kotaku had an interesting follow-up piece this morning.  Quote from a spokesman from King, the Candy Crush makers:

"We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content," a spokesperson for King, the makers of Candy Crush Saga, told Kotaku. "However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

"In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga's trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of "Saga" was legitimate."

What's happening is more a function of the borked up US copyright laws.  If King doesn't go after Banner Saga to prove that they are actively trying to protect their brand, that lack of action can be used against them when an actual copycat pops up.

I don't think that excuses going after Banner Saga, but I (sadly) kinda get why they're doing it.  Our system is f-ed up.
especially in light of this:
King does not own trademarks to "candy" or "saga" (by themselves) yet but has applied for them
really, King?  if you don't own the trademarks, then how do you expect to win this?  it makes you look shallow.  go after the actual copy cats or the app store owners who let this stuff happen in the first place.  

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

I've heard the combat compared to Final Fantasy Tactics (certainly a favorite of mine). Is that true?  icon_smile

Blackguards (another turn-based tactical RPG that) just completed Early Access on Steam and released the other day earlier than expected. Enjoying it OK, but assigning the roughly zillion action points gets on my nerve and the battles tend to involve a lot of popping up a menu and rolling your mouse around to choose menus within nested sub menus. Perhaps Banner Saga would be more my style.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: