http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:42:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Assassin's Creed thread - brought to you by Jade Raymond  (Read 6755 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 04:35:56 AM »

Quote from: CSL on November 08, 2007, 04:35:22 AM

Soon, so soon.

nod
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 04:44:46 AM »

She's not even the producer, she's a producer.  They have several.  She's a pretty face that they decided to be their public face for the game.  I'm sure the other 150 people working on the game are happy that you think she is "making what looks to be a great game" so they can slack off.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 04:49:20 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 08, 2007, 04:35:56 AM

Quote from: CSL on November 08, 2007, 04:35:22 AM

Soon, so soon.

nod

THE STREETS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF INFIDELS!!!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 05:45:08 AM »

Assassin's Creed and Mario Galaxy next week.  Mass Effect and Rock Band the week after.  Oh my, it's going to be a busy time. 

In the face of those four games, CoD4 with it's five hour single player and multiplayer that I'll never wind up playing must wait until bargain bin.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 08, 2007, 04:44:46 AM

She's not even the producer, she's a producer.  They have several.  She's a pretty face that they decided to be their public face for the game.  I'm sure the other 150 people working on the game are happy that you think she is "making what looks to be a great game" so they can slack off. 

Way to put words in my mouth.

I'm just getting to a point where people drooling over her is tiresome. Yes, she's just one person on a huge team. No shit. She's involved in the production of the game. She has some input of some kind on what goes into said game.

Perhaps, just perhaps, she's not just a pretty but stupid woman they decided to pimp for publicity.

Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but without having actually met her I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt based on where she's at. I don't think you get to be a game producer if you're stupid.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

This would be the business for any Girl(woman)with self esteem issues based on looks.
Gamer-guys sure go ga-ga over girl gamers...

On the other hand any fairly good looking girl who genuinely wants to make a career in gaming would have huge
sexist obstacles to over come to be taken seriously.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 08, 2007, 04:44:46 AM

She's not even the producer, she's a producer.  They have several.  She's a pretty face that they decided to be their public face for the game.  I'm sure the other 150 people working on the game are happy that you think she is "making what looks to be a great game" so they can slack off. 

She is their lead producer, and she's got the resume for it.  She was the lead producer on Sims Online, and worked as a programmer before that (has a computer science degree).  I'm friendly with a guy on their team and he says she does all right.

So there we go.  Now, I'll just wait for the email from her declaring her love for me. Score Down Score Down Score Down
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 12:56:59 PM »

I don't remember any girls looking like that in the one computer science class I took.  I feel ripped off.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 08, 2007, 12:56:59 PM

I don't remember any girls looking like that in the one computer science class I took.  I feel ripped off.

LOL +1
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2007, 04:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 08, 2007, 12:56:59 PM

you have to take the beginner one that all the chicks take to fulfill certain requirements.

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2007, 05:30:08 PM »

For me, it's going to depend on how "platformy" the game is... if it is closer to Prince of Persia than Thief, I'll have to pass. I detest triple jumping through slashing blades up the side of shifting landscape, only to get to a spot you fall from if you don't hit a combination of buttons just so.  icon_evil

I suspect I will wait for you folks to find out, before I even consider it.  I remember the excited anticipation for Prince of Persia, then being frustrated - and stuck - pretty quickly, trying to triple jump up the side of a statue. I had a friend try it, neither of us could manage it, and there were no teenagers readily available to get me past that point.  (Yes, I have no shame, if I can't make a tricky jump in say, thirty or so tries, I will import someone who grew up playing video games - who, of course, can land the jump in one or two attempts.) The game went in the den, never to return until I dusted it off for eBay.

I do so want the variable solutions to each puzzle to be my ticket to seeing the later levels of the game, though...  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2007, 05:31:14 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on November 08, 2007, 05:30:08 PM

For me, it's going to depend on how "platformy" the game is... if it is closer to Prince of Persia than Thief, I'll have to pass. I detest triple jumping through slashing blades up the side of shifting landscape, only to get to a spot you fall from if you don't hit a combination of buttons just so.  icon_evil

Based on everything I've read, you will want to stay far, far away from AC.  The game is very much devoted to platforming. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 07, 2007, 06:56:19 PM

I actually don't care how attractive she may look, because hearing her speak ruins everything for me, including Assassin's Creed.  I have been very excited for this game, but every time I listen to her describe it or talk about it my anticipation falters somewhat.  You would think they would have been able to find someone better to speak on behalf of such a potentially groundbreaking title. 

TOTALLY.  She has single handedly killed my anticipation for this title.

She is hot, but she is NOT a good public speaker.

gellar
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 08, 2007, 05:31:14 PM

Quote from: mytocles on November 08, 2007, 05:30:08 PM

Based on everything I've read, you will want to stay far, far away from AC.  The game is very much devoted to platforming. 

Oh man, I had zero interest in this, but if it winds up getting favorable comparisons to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, I may have to check it out.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »

I hated the Prince of Persia games, that's what has me nervous about AC. I don't mind platforming, but I'm not into the constant puzzle-solving and dying. Platforming I can deal with.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:45 PM »

Quote from: kathode
She is their lead producer, and she's got the resume for it.  She was the lead producer on Sims Online....

Speaking as someone who once tried "playing" a free trial of The Sims Online, I think this is the least surprising thing I've learned all year.

For all I know, Jade Raymond is one of the smartest, most responsive, most effective producers in the game industry, but the fact remains that she's a terrible spokesperson who mistakes game play previews as opportunities to  drone on about "shifting the paradigms of next-gen game play" and "maximizing the fluidity of interstitial animation routines."  This woman has put herself in charge of hyping one of the most anticipated titles of the year, and if you scheduled her against Peter Molyneux doing a 45-minute stage demonstration of a mechanical jack-in-the-box, she'd lose.

I'm interested in Assassin's Creed because it's developed by the same team who created the Prince of Persia trilogy.  I think that's a hell of pedigree, and it's a good thing too -- if all I had to go on was Jade Raymond's bland corporate buzzwords, I'd be assuming she was a random pretty face put up as a desperate ploy to distract from an utter lack of game play.

Fortunately for them, I'm left with considerable faith in Assassin's Creed...and very little in Raymond's talent.  If she's any good as a producer, why can't she produce a spokesperson who makes Assassin's Creed sound *fun*?

-Autistic Angel
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »

I'm sympathetic - and not just because she's attractive.

I'm the equivalent of a "producer", and my management team forces me up to do a bunch of presentations at events/conferences/customer visits.  Not because I'm the World's Greatest Public Speaker, but because I know what I'm talking about (more or less).  They could send a marketer up instead, but they'd flail when confronted with some mundane technical question.  Games are, of course, an entertainment product, so flash does count, but if you don't have Peter Molyneux, do you put up the inarticulate but knowledgeable producer, or the slick but skin-deep marketer?  I say the former.  Which is, I grant, totally self-serving.

I'm excited for AC, mostly because I want to try the control scheme.  Also, who amongst us hasn't dreamt of jumping off tall buildings in medieval Jerusalem into wagons of hay?  No one!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 08, 2007, 06:25:17 PM

Oh man, I had zero interest in this, but if it winds up getting favorable comparisons to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, I may have to check it out.

It's the same team as Sands of Time IIRC.  I don't know if AC has a neat mechanic to let you easily "do-over" platforming screw-ups though. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

If this game ends up as being like, and as good as, the last gen PoP games I'll be very happy. I played PoP:SoT on the XBox and the 3rd game on the Wii and enjoyed both of them very much. Sure they can be frustrating, but the story made them well worth the struggle. I'm personally much more patient with having to do multiple retries of a jumping puzzle than I am with having my head continually handed to me in FPS mplay.

I've been talking about this game with some local video game store staff who's opinions I respect, and they're all buying this day 1. I'm just not sure about the quality of this game, therefore it won't be a day 1 and I'll wait for reviews. If the reviews are favorable I'll likely buy this after I complete ME and SMG... umm....and after RE:UC...oh and after SC:Legends, but for sure right after those. smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 08, 2007, 07:48:44 PM

Quote from: Farscry on November 08, 2007, 06:25:17 PM

It's the same team as Sands of Time IIRC.  I don't know if AC has a neat mechanic to let you easily "do-over" platforming screw-ups though. 

This game just went from "zero-interest" to "very intriguing" for me, even if they don't have the magic do-over hourglass. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 08, 2007, 07:39:01 PM

I'm the equivalent of a "producer", and my management team forces me up to do a bunch of presentations at events/conferences/customer visits.  Not because I'm the World's Greatest Public Speaker, but because I know what I'm talking about (more or less).  They could send a marketer up instead, but they'd flail when confronted with some mundane technical question.  Games are, of course, an entertainment product, so flash does count, but if you don't have Peter Molyneux, do you put up the inarticulate but knowledgeable producer, or the slick but skin-deep marketer?  I say the former.  Which is, I grant, totally self-serving.

The better answer is someone in between.  I of course, say this as that is exactly my job slywink

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2007, 08:21:26 PM

The better answer is someone in between.  I of course, say this as that is exactly my job slywink

"I already told you: I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 08, 2007, 08:59:31 PM

"I already told you: I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

slywink

Exactly!

gellar
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2007, 09:17:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2007, 09:14:08 PM

Quote from: Brendan on November 08, 2007, 08:59:31 PM

slywink

Exactly!

gellar

RIF
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »

Someone slapped this mini review into the forums at Gamespot after playing 40 minutes.  Day one purchase for me for sure:

Hi all,

Assasin's Creed is due out very soon in the PAL marker (23rd Nov) and on Tuesday I was invited to a gming evening by the gaming publisher and had a chance to play the game. Has a chance to play Assasin's Creed and Haze.

I thought I will post my impression.

Assasin's Creed.
- Amazing graphics and enviroment. The city feels so open. You just get so lost but yet its fun to just wander around and do nothing. Everything feels so solid and every building and every objects and every NPC just feel so lively. Gives you a great impression of a living city.

-The game starts with the main character on the top of the tower. From here you can view a big percentage of the city and even from up there, where the view is limited everything is incredibly detailed. From here you can choose to climb down or take a dive of faith. If you inspect closely, you can see a wagon full of hay around the edge of th tower. You can then dive and sort of navigate yourself to fall into the wagon of hay. If you miss you die.

- With the NPC, each one reacts differently to you. You get people walking past bumping into you, some way towards you then looks frightened then move aside. You get kids running around and beggers begging for money. You can choose to do a number of things while walking through a crowd. You can push them aside, either a light shove or a heavy shove. Keep doing the heacy shove and the people will get either frightened or angry and will alert the guards. You can also walk through crowds by covering yourself and by looking like one of the ordinary people.

- With guards,they really are relentless. I went up to a guard and gave him a punch just to see what would happen. Sure enough he got angry and then blew alerted the other guards. I though I will try out the battle system. Now you cna keep tapping attack to do your slash combo but you will get no where. I got surrounded and was getting stabbed from all sides. The guards weem to not attack initially as they surrounded me but when one attacked, a couple more attacked as well. You can also counter by tapping the button to timed with the attack. This is more useful as it is a saver way to take out the guards. But each time a take some out more came to aid so it is a bit pointless trying to fight them all.

I ended up running and testing out the whole interactive environment and sure enough each wall, each groove, each brick and so on I can climb on to, jumpoff and so on. I was at one stage climbing up a brick wall, bounced onto a wooden barrier and then lifted myself up onto the roof top and I didn't stop there. I kept running and bouncing off wooden beams and market stalls. Pretty cool. I even slided down a wooden pole and then before hitting the floor I jumped off and did a roll to land.Looks real cool and I did most of that with little effort but of course it was chaos as I didn'tknow how to control the character fully.

When i was running away from the guards, I bumpedinto so many villagers. I tripped and slipped and I can see why it is important to plan a proper escape route as people will get in your way and the more people you knocked down, the more angry the villager's seems to get as they yell at you and some even get infront of you on purpose.

Now I didn't really achived anything during the gameplay but this have given me an idea what the game is like and I can imagine the amount of work and investigation you have to do as wellto find your kill and so on.

So, from what I have played the game is simply amazing all around and truely amazing. I spent around 40 mins playing it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:57 PM »

I gotta go media blackout on this thing.  I just got spoiled by a screenie (it was a BEAUTIFUL screenshot, though) at NeoGaf.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »

Why the fuck isn't it Tuesday yet.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 08, 2007, 11:05:57 PM

I gotta go media blackout on this thing.  I just got spoiled by a screenie (it was a BEAUTIFUL screenshot, though) at NeoGaf.

Spoiler for Hiden:
was it related to that whole other plotline?  i've always wondered about that, but if that part is out of the bag, i'll have to go on a blackout from the main sites too.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2007, 11:57:47 PM »

Quote from: CSL on November 08, 2007, 11:37:59 PM

I heard doomingly bad news today at Gamestop.  The guy behind the counter, who is that rarest of all creatures, a cool Gamespot employee, said he just got word that AC had been pushed back to the 21st.

Who knows if he was misinformed or was playing some kind of cruel joke, but it sounded genuine to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »

if that's true, that virtually guarantees that i won't be playing this until december.  ME and cod4 will be taking all of my time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 08, 2007, 11:51:43 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 08, 2007, 11:05:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
was it related to that whole other plotline?  i've always wondered about that, but if that part is out of the bag, i'll have to go on a blackout from the main sites too.

Yup.

To be fair, it was a member who posted a screenshot to showcase the beauty of the engine...and on second-thought, he spoiler'd the picture the next time I came back.  I'll definitely read reviews and whatnot, but I would tread carefully.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2007, 12:30:40 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2007, 11:57:47 PM

I heard doomingly bad news today at Gamestop.  The guy behind the counter, who is that rarest of all creatures, a cool Gamespot employee, said he just got word that AC had been pushed back to the 21st.

Who knows if he was misinformed or was playing some kind of cruel joke, but it sounded genuine to me.

3 AAA titles on the same day?  That could be considered cruel and unusual gamer punishment.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2007, 12:46:07 AM »

10/10 from GamesRadar.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »

I don't believe it has been delayed.  None of the websites are reflecting it that I can find.  I am going there tomorrow to be sure.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2007, 12:51:01 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2007, 11:57:47 PM

there is only one sensible thing you should have done in that situation:  leap over the counter and beat the crap out of him until he recanted.

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »

I have been doing some reading and it appears that the art book has been delayed, not the game itself.  Someone in another thread called Ubisoft and it is still on for a 13th release.

I think, and dearly hope, we dodged a bullet here.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 09, 2007, 12:53:48 AM

I have been doing some reading and it appears that the art book has been delayed, not the game itself.  Someone in another thread called Ubisoft and it is still on for a 13th release.

I think, and dearly hope, we dodged a bullet here.   

Maybe it was just the Collector's Edition or something, but like mikeg, I've been checking the websites, and none are showing a delay yet. 

Of course, the news seemed to have just come in at around 6:30, so we'll have to check tomorrow.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »

Eh, if the game was delayed it would have been leaked on the gaming sites already. Big time bogus I think. Anyhoo, great impressions from that guy, this has officially rocket up in anticipation.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2007, 01:53:59 AM »

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but this is what Jade Raymond looks like in the morning...

Isn't it amazing what makeup and a cup of Latte will do?  eek
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:56:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »

icon_eek
Blackjack, that was really quite funny.

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: