http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The art of playing multiple games at once  (Read 922 times)
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:34:10 AM »

I don't think I have mastered this art at all. I see some of your sigs and it seems like you are playing 20 games at once. Is there a normal process for this? Do you switch games every day?
With some games I can accomplish this. Right now I am playing POP:TTT on PS2 and Jewel Quest/Burnout on 360. These types of games are easy to go back to wherever and get back in. I just picked up Oblivion (Circuit City price matched CompUSA's $44 even though they were out of stock..woohoo) and I'm a bit worried to bring it in the rotation. Any time I try this with a longer more involved game, I get lost when taking an extended break for another game.
The woes of getting older and having less time to play games...stupid jobs..
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:52:52 AM »

I usually end up juggling 2 or 3 games at a time and finishing maybe one of them.  :oops:
Maybe it's my short attention span, but it's hard for me to stay with one game from start to finish.  My intentions are always to get back to them someday.

I used to have a lot of downtime at work, so my DS was working overtime.  Things have picked up though, so now I haven't had as much time on that.  I play some before and after work, but I wish I had more time.

Now I'm in the middle of Ninja Gaiden (I MUST finish) and I just started Suikoden V.   If I didn't have to work, I could probably finish both of them by next week.  As it is, it's more like next month.  Kingdom Hearts and Oblivion are just around the corner for me too, so I don't know which games will prevail then.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:58:36 AM »

As I feel I MUST complete nearly every game I buy, I typically play through one at a time.

However, if I'm not particularly enjoying a game but not hating it either, I'll have as many as 3 going at a time, usually of different genres.

But, if I love a game, it's all I'll play until I'm done with it.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:01:56 AM »

i need to play many games at once, because i get bored of just one, so i cycle threw a few until i complete them, then i get a new group. and so on.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 06:02:12 AM »

Yeah, it's not cool, I do it a lot and I tend to not finish many games.  

The one game I want to play a BUNCH of at this certain moment will be trumped by Kingdom Hearts 2 next week.  I don't know how I'm going to juggle Oblivion and KH2, to be honest.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 06:07:23 AM »

I really don't have much choice - if I'm to review em, I need to juggle em.  I am currently playing DW5 for 360, The Outfit, Oblivion, DDO, and Suikoden V.  I typically am playing SOMETHING, I just switch up between em daily.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:18:51 AM »

I generally have many, many games going at once, mostly RPGs.  Somehow, I ended up with the talent of being able to keep 20 different RPG stories straight in my mind at once.  It's not exactly x-ray vision or telekinesis, but it helps when 5 RPGs you really want to play all come out within a month of each other slywink  Yesterday was my day off, and I started Suikoden 5, played Serious Sam : TSE and Doom 3 on my PC, and Dragon Quest 8, MS Saga, GTA - San Andreas, and Jade Empire on the consoles.  I can't imagine playing only one game or only a few at a time.  Even if I loved the game, I'd get bored with it.  It does take me a long time to finish games, but I try to finish every one I like.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »

I also find that I'll start and restart a game if it doesn't grab me right away.  An example of this is KUF: Crusaders.  I'm very interested in the game but just can't get the hang of it...so it's in my 'active' rotation, but I'm already forgetting how to play it so I'll probably start over.

Last night I fired up the original  Metal Gear Solid <psx> on my PS2 and I'm already hooked after just an hour into it.

I'm currently playing in addition:

POP:TTT (XBOX) 95% complete
GUN (XBOX) 10% complete

I was enjoying POP:TTT immensely until this happened and have been playing it in fits in spurts since.  It has also taken me forever because a new console arrived and it has monopolized my time.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

I can play more than one game at a time..but I prefer to only play one story game at a time.  Like right now I'm playing DQ8 as my priority, but then I have my ds games on the side or just older classics that I play on and off.

It just feels wrong to play more than one main game at a time..

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »

As of last year I've tried like hell to focus on only one game at a time and last year it served me well. This year I tried to stay the course but have failed. smile Unfortunately, I blame that mostly on getting to a point in DQ8 where I have to power level until I'm satisfied (which is another four or five levels per character) and I just can't do it anymore. It's so bloody boring PL'ing now.

So I then threw on PoP:TTT the other day to take a break and have played it relentlessly. Dual bosses gave you fits ATB? It took me three tries and the second one I did something stupid that got me killed so it was my own fault. smile I love this game. It's absolutely the sequel that Warrior Within should have been.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Dual bosses gave you fits ATB?

I had no life power ups...if I'd had them it wouldn't have been hard.

If you did it with no upgrades, then I bow to your POP:TTT masterfulness.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »

Well, I did only have two. slywink I would have had three but there was a glitch in it that I couldn't get past at all. The challenge is literally diagonal jumping past a lot of blades and then onto several rapidly falling columns. But after my third try everytime I'd hit one diagonal jump it would send me off in the other direction or right through a wall. I even tried pointing in the direction I wanted to jump in with no luck. Stupid piss poor QA.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:19:43 PM »

I usually try to have a favorite of certain genres going.

For example, one MMOG (optional, but WoW has filled that since it came out), one 'other' (which is from my huge backlog of games), and one online FPS.

When the 'other' is a single-player FPS, sometimes it takes away time from my deathmatching, but sometimes not.  I guess it just depends on the game.

I can play either TFC or Enemy Territory all day every day and never get bored.  

I would probably still be playing Jedi Outcast if it still had players: I was a virtual god in that game.  Jedi Outcast was one of the few FPS games I would play online where, given a few warmup matches, I would end up winning almost every round.  "Holocron" matches were the most fun; you wouldn't start with any Jedi powers, but there would be little icons around the map with one of the powers; if you pick it up you can use it, and you can have up to six holocrons.  If you get killed, however, your holocrons fall around where you died, and they are up for grabs to whoever can take them.

Blah, just talking about that game makes me want to play it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: