http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:56:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The anything BUT Jade Empire discussion thread  (Read 15524 times)
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2005, 02:25:29 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Try as I might, I just can't get excited about this game.  

Bioware hit it's zenith with Baldurs Gate 2. Neverwinter Nights started the downward trend and now it's hit rock bottom in my eyes with Jade Empire. It sounds more like an action game than an RPG.  It took an already way too linear "RPG" (KoTR) and made it even more linear and more action/adventure. Just like the Ultima series, Bioware is making things wrose trying to appeal to a new audience. frown

Where o where did the old Bioware go???

Yeah heaven forbid a game developer tries to expand its audience.  Or make a different style of game.

Sheesh, I'm getting sick of forums.  Everyone's a whiner.  Or an expert.  

BG2 was WAY linear - especially the back 1/2 of the game.  

And, it was made with SPRITES.  NO VOICE OVER.  Long gone are the days of the 100 hour RPG.
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2005, 03:38:07 AM »

could someone leave a I played the game post before the end of the night.
I am off tomarrow and would like to know if is worth me driving 40min out to the Gamestop I pre. Ordered it from.
Or could I just wait thill I go back to work on Thur.
I do have MC: DUB ed to hold me over.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2005, 04:06:21 AM »

Picked it up tonight, but wound up finishing up God of War.  I would've last night, but the PS2 froze up on me at the last save point.  Since it was 1 am by then, I figured it was a sign, and went to bed.  I'll start Jade tomorrow night.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2005, 04:23:10 AM »

Got jade tonight. Will start it after conan. Cant wait for a few hours of pure enjoyment tonight in the silence and dark just playing this super cool game.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2005, 04:26:32 AM »

I got the game tonight. So far I am giving it a thumbs up. The engine reminds me alot of KOTOR but much improved in Frame rate and also the controls just work better and fast. Clicking between the inventory screen and character screens is super fast compared to KOTOR 2.

The graphics are well done and I am slowly working through the story and enjoying myself.

Combat reminds me alot of Fable but it seems much deeper than Fables was. I don't have a problem with it so far and I'm looking forward to learning new techniques.

I rate it a BUY if you enjoyed the KOTOR games. Now, if they just had Pazaak...

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2005, 04:31:10 AM »

I'll be interested to see what you guys would rate it after you get further in. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2005, 05:07:58 AM »

Three hours in, two thumbs up, one tired Qbe.  Ok, back to the game.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2005, 05:18:29 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Picked it up tonight, but wound up finishing up God of War.  I would've last night, but the PS2 froze up on me at the last save point.  Since it was 1 am by then, I figured it was a sign, and went to bed.  I'll start Jade tomorrow night.

ya know, my God of War froze at the last save point as well.  Interesting.  The next time it worked just fine though.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2005, 05:21:10 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
Some Names:

Hung Long
Sho Nuff
Ped Xing
Egg Shen
Lo Pan
Wang Chung

Don't forget Harry Wong

I swear that's a real name.  I used to process claims for a certain department for the State, and he was in my case load.  I cracked up everytime.  I was so happy he never called me about any problems with his claims, I don't know if I'd keep a straight face
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2005, 10:40:34 AM »

Got mine today.

I am not sure about the combat.  I dont like the way block works (its not instant like it is with NG or God of War) and the targeting is not intuitive for me.  I press one of the triggers expecting to get a particular enemy and at least half the time get a different one.

The character I first chose had Leaping Tiger as his Martial Style.  I found out later after playing around with different characters that Thousand Cuts and Legendary whatever were much more my thing.

olaf
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2005, 12:11:10 PM »

Two people here made excellent points about gaming that I felt needed to be pointed out.

Quote from: "ingrin"
Instead of complaining that a console RPG has been released that isn't expansive and is action oriented, revel in the fact that Bioware has given you another Console RPG where you have control over your actions and can actually affect the storyline of the
game.

I couldn't agree with this more.  I hope Bioware continues this trend forever.

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
I think it's pretty funny how spoiled gamers and developers have become. We expect the end all be all game for everyone for almost every title.

I remember when I was LUCKY in the old days to get ONE game a year that was really awesome. ONE A YEAR.  :shock:

Now I expect to get at least 5 to 6 awesome games a year. The funny thing is the developers are putting out great games. Some aren't for me, some are. We are really lucky we get this much quality and attention these days. I know we pay for it but still, we are lucky.

Boy oh boy is this so true.  Look at how privileged we all are.  Sit back and enjoy our good fortune!  These are exciting times indeed. biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »

Boy oh boy is this so true. Look at how privileged we all are. Sit back and enjoy our good fortune! These are exciting times indeed. Very Happy
Yeah, I have to agree. There is a lot of good gaming out there these days. I focus on picking up games that I know I will like. There are so many good choices, my biggest challenge is finding the most fun for my limited time.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2005, 01:42:56 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
I think it's pretty funny how spoiled gamers and developers have become. We expect the end all be all game for everyone for almost every title.

I remember when I was LUCKY in the old days to get ONE game a year that was really awesome. ONE A YEAR.  :shock:

Now I expect to get at least 5 to 6 awesome games a year. The funny thing is the developers are putting out great games. Some aren't for me, some are. We are really lucky we get this much quality and attention these days. I know we pay for it but still, we are lucky.

Sort of true, but there was also a day when getting one really great movie a year was lucky.  Once movies became big business/mainstream though that changed.

Gaming is a multi-billion dollar business now so it isn't exactly stretching the envelope to expect several good games a year.  

Don't get me wrong, I agree "We are really lucky we get this much quality and attention these days" but I also don't think that is unreasonable.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »

I played for about 3-1/2 hours last night,  I've just arrived in the next town after the school, completed a couple of jobs there, and so far so good.  I'm still feeling it out so I cannot give an accurate impression of the game as a whole, but I can give my first impressions.

Graphics:

The models and animations are nice. Obviously it's similar to KotOR, but polished up and far more colorful. The world is very convincing with it's architecture and the terrain is lusher than I had expected after the barren, techie world of KotOR. Now the effects are just absolutely supurb for the X-Box...I'd imagine that they are pushing the envelope on what it can do. Combat effects just have to be seen in motion, but the subtle use of things like heat blur help create a believable world. Special mention goes to the smoke...really good stuff.

We've heard about framerate problems, I've ran across them on occasion, but calling it a framerate issue my be a misnomer.  It's really something that would only bother those with the most impeccible eye. So far it's hasn't lasted over the blink of an eye...I'll get a millisecond pause and it'll be fine.

Sound:

Music is moody but not overbearing. I'll turn the music off in 8 out of 10 games, JEs music will stay on.  Combat sounds seem a bit understated for my tastes, but turning them up in the options may do the trick.

Voice-overs are great.  I'm not real fond of mountains of spoken dialouge, but they've done a god job with these. It flows better than BioWares previous offerings. Sure, some of it is cheesy, but it's delivered well. There's no drastic tone changes from one line to the next. I suppose it's partly due to the stereotypical reservered nature of asian character, but it's a nice change from the Jekell and Hyde dialouge you sometimes get. Don't get me wrong, they are not bland characters. Zu makes me laugh...often.  biggrin

Gameplay:

Well, think BioWare and the X-Box. There's nothing revolutionary about the basics... I'll just go ahead and say it's KotOR in Chinese Legend...but with melee combat galore! Combat looks fantastic though it is not quite as deep as I had hoped, yet it's still loads of fun. It's similar to Fable, a bit deeper than that, yet far far tougher. I tend to immediately beef up the difficulty on fighting games, so I did so in JE. I also turned it right back down after my first couple of brawls.   :?

I may turn it back up if I get a good handle on fighting. I'm starting to get the swing of it now, though I can tell it'll be tough to master it.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it. Those are my impressions after a few hours and are subject to change.  :wink:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »

Long gone are the days of the 100 hour RPG.

Err...not quite.

Ever hear of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »

Err...not quite.

No, what's that?  Is that part of a series?

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2005, 03:19:13 PM »

I got it last night, My EB got it in just before 6pm.  So after getting home and running Stratholm undead side in WoW i put it in the xbox and went at it. I played for just over 3 hrs.

First off, the story is top notch.  It's well told, the voice acting i'd rate a 89% or in other words right up there with the very best for gaming voice overs.  I can't say much about how choices so far affect the game as of course i'm only on my first time through, but so far i'm very happy with the choices of conversation and the amount of conversation and story present.

I'm pretty happy with the graphics too, but just a hair sharper would have done a lot for the game considering how good it DOES look.  I'd say the characters are nicer in JE but the environment was a lil more detailed in Fable.

As far as the action portion of gameplay goes.  Its taking getting used to but once you get good at switching styles, switching targets, and evading attacks, the whole combat system comes off very very well IMHO.  Keep in mind, this is NOT Ninja Gaiden which was a pure action game.  This is an adventure rpg and will take a completely different approach to gameplay.  Do not expect ninja gaiden swordplay goodness, this is not that kind of game and wasn't designed to be.  I could'nt posssibly emphasize enough how different the action in JE is from NG.  That said, I find the action irresistably fun once i start getting the hang of fights in JE.  There's a few lessons i learned very early on which helped bring my enjoyment up a lot.  They are as follows:

I quickly discovered no one style can be used alone during a fight.  The first thing you should master is switching targets and the second thing is assigning and switching styles.  The 3rd thing you should master is how to do an AE attack to clear your personal space.

You can't use any one style alone because there is something of a semblence to rock paper scissors here.  You'll find times where you need to use a hand to hand martial style or a weapon style or an all out ranged magic style in order to control a fight and win.  So, the big thing is, don't get locked into thinking, oh cool, a samurai sword, i'll play through the whole game using this since I love samurai swords....it doesn't exacty work that way and you'll quickly have your ass handed to you on a plate.

Another big one that'll frustrate you at first is: don't rely on the button for block in melee combat.  This is very unfortunate and is the only thing i don't like about the game.  There is no relyable way to block in melee combat.  The block function only seems to actually be effective against normal ranged attacks.  I don't recommend using it against weilders of ice magic either because they'll hit you with their big attack which freezes you in a block of ice and its all over then.  The big chi power attacks go right through block defeating its purpose entirely.  This means to not get hit you need to evade instead of blocking.  Yes, unfortunately you will have to jump around instead of blocking or parrying attacks.  I find this most unfortunate and it does detract from the coolness of combat IMHO.  A Lot.  Why is it, everything is there and in good form, and well done, except parrying? WTF?  I mean good god man, Neverwinter Nights had good parrying animation and stuff!!!  This is my only rant i have with JE so far.  I think i'll get over it though and be happy with what it is, but i do profess dissappointment in this area....great disappointment that Bioware didn't do better than this. I know they had it in them and they just took the cheesy way out.

On the sound, the sound is 100% top notch in Jade Empire.  The 5.1DD is fantastic and has plenty of base coming out of that sub.  The music is superb and I want a sound track please.  Voice overs are well done and sound effects are right up there with the best.

My final summary of my initial impressions is:  Fantastic adventure/actionRPG.  Do not mistake for a martial arts action console fighter in the vien of Dead or Alive or Ninja Gaiden.  Whats here is great, but also very different and to be enjoyed or not on its own merits.[/list]
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2005, 03:31:37 PM »

Oh yea, i'm using the Female Magic character and chose the Long Sword for my first weapon style and Ice Magic for my first magic style. Using Legendary Strike as my first martial style.
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2005, 05:30:45 PM »

Err...not quite.

I knew you'd take the bait.

I would take one ten hour Bioware RPG over 100 Bethesda Elder Scrolls.  I know they have a small vocal following, but upon close inspection none of the last 3 games really hold up. And they even admit to automating large swaths of the new game - from terrain, to AI, and again I'll bet you get the same phonebook, Styrofoam world feel.  I hope I'm wrong, I love developers who try to break the norm, but you can't tell me the level of polish, story quality, or balance of the ES series in any way compares to KOTOR.  Or are they really going to VO all 1,000 of their NPC's?  Give them each totally unique lines of dialogue?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2005, 05:40:46 PM »

I don't get all the comparisons to Ninja Gaiden.  I never once, in all the previews I read, got the impression that JE was supposed to be an action/adventure game to compete with the likes of NG.  Isn't JE supposed to be, y'know, somewhat of an RPG?  Is it because they both have swords?  I'm confused here.  Maybe it's because I disliked nearly everything about NG, but I sincerely hope that JE is nothing like it at all.

I'm pickup my copy this afternoon and hope to have some impressions later tonight (provided Comcast actually decides to get my connection working again).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »

It's not NG, but the comparisons come from...I don't know....maybe the whole third person, multi-styled martial arts, swordplay, and magic combos stuff?  Tongue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »

Quote from: "JeffG"

Err...not quite.

I would take one ten hour Bioware RPG over 100 Bethesda Elder Scrolls.  I know they have a small vocal following, but upon close inspection none of the last 3 games really hold up. And they even admit to automating large swaths of the new game - from terrain, to AI, and again I'll bet you get the same phonebook, Styrofoam world feel.  I hope I'm wrong, I love developers who try to break the norm, but you can't tell me the level of polish, story quality, or balance of the ES series in any way compares to KOTOR.  Or are they really going to VO all 1,000 of their NPC's?  Give them each totally unique lines of dialogue?

Small following? Both the Game of the Year Edition and the regular edition are part of the "Platinum Hits" line for the XBox. That doesn't even include the PC sales of the game.

Have you seen how active the official forms are for Morrowind/Elder Scrolls? The mod community alone is the largest on the net, besides Neverwinter Nights.

I would say there is a small, vocal minority that dislikes the game with a passion, not the other way around.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I like games like Final Fantasy and KOTOR...but they just don't compare to games like Baldurs Gate and the Elder Scrolls series. They are more like adventure games than RPG's. Jade Empire seems even farther from an RPG than those games. I dislike being led around by the nose when playing a RPG. I like feeling like I can do whatever I want. Bioware RPG's are just not like that at all anymore.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2005, 06:06:05 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Oh yea, i'm using the Female Magic character and chose the Long Sword for my first weapon style and Ice Magic for my first magic style. Using Legendary Strike as my first martial style.

I am also using the Female Magic character but I chose the Staff and Fire Magic.

I am trying to follow the closed fist path but I have to admit it is DAMN hard to be mean all the time.

I mean, I had an ooportunity to badly injure a student based on my choices and I JUST COULDN'T bring myself to do it and then I got stuck with open palm shift (good). Being evil is hard.

I do like the fact that you can now tell by looking at your avatar's face if you are selecting a closed fist dialog path.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »

Err...not quite.

Small following? Both the Game of the Year Edition and the regular edition are part of the "Platinum Hits" line for the XBox. That doesn't even include the PC sales of the game.

Have you seen how active the official forms are for Morrowind/Elder Scrolls? The mod community alone is the largest on the net, besides Neverwinter Nights.

I would say there is a small, vocal minority that dislikes the game with a passion, not the other way around.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I like games like Final Fantasy and KOTOR...but they just don't compare to games like Baldurs Gate and the Elder Scrolls series. They are more like adventure games than RPG's. Jade Empire seems even farther from an RPG than those games. I dislike being led around by the nose when playing a RPG. I like feeling like I can do whatever I want. Bioware RPG's are just not like that at all anymore.

The various versions of Morrowind sold, I believe, several million copies all told, and made Bethesda enough money that they are really set for a loong time. There is a bitter minority that seems to hate the game, possibly because Hetz and others, probably myself included pumped it up-but it was one HELL of an incredible open-ended crazy ass first person RPG hampered by some so-so combat. I still think about starting it up again.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2005, 06:13:55 PM »

Yeah, Elder Scrolls and Baldur's Gate is apples and oranges. I like the ES games because nothing comes close to what they are, outside of maybe an MMO or 2.

Both RPG families are HUGE and we can be thankful for that.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2005, 06:25:53 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I don't get all the comparisons to Ninja Gaiden.  I never once, in all the previews I read, got the impression that JE was supposed to be an action/adventure game to compete with the likes of NG.  Isn't JE supposed to be, y'know, somewhat of an RPG?  Is it because they both have swords?  I'm confused here.  Maybe it's because I disliked nearly everything about NG, but I sincerely hope that JE is nothing like it at all.

I'm pickup my copy this afternoon and hope to have some impressions later tonight (provided Comcast actually decides to get my connection working again).

Thats the point....

Ninja Gaiden...is a console fighter with lots of combos eastern fighting and mythilogical monsters, story, and abilities.

JE is an action adventure with martial arts fighting and eastern weaponry and mythilogical monsters story and abilities.

JE is advertised as having an awsome combat system with 40 unique fighting styles and lots of combos for combat in an RPG system where you grow your character as you choose amoungst the styles to choose from.  JE is advertised as having an incredibly challenging, fun, and ground breaking "contact based fighting system" as well.

Now tell me.  DO YOU SEE ANY RESEMBLENCE HERE?!  I do.

However, the point of the comparisons made so far is....JE IS NOT NG!  The point is so that people don't accidently mistake JE for a Ninja Gaiden RPG!  The point is to say that they actually have nothing in common in spite of the fact that if you just read the advertisements and watched the sample videos and looked at screen shots you'd think one was a sequel or something.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"
Yeah, Elder Scrolls and Baldur's Gate is apples and oranges. I like the ES games because nothing comes close to what they are, outside of maybe an MMO or 2.

Both RPG families are HUGE and we can be thankful for that.

Good point.  I always loved the Baldur's Gate games and couldn't get into Elder Scrolls Morrow Wind at all=(  I tried pretty hard but just couldn't find any personal enjoyment in it.

Tastes vary.  I know a lot of people who like both and also know a lot of people who buy both and end up junking one or the other after fewer than 10 hrs of play.

Selling 2 mil copies means your hype machine worked.  Doesn't mean 2 mil people love your game and series.  Lots of people buy lots of games they end up regretting big time.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »

The regular edition has sold 505k in the US.  No idea on the GOTY edition.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »

Sorry to say that Platinum Hits is not tied to game sales like it somewhat is (although this is arguable) on the PS2 Greatest Hits line.  It's a common misconception many people make.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2005, 07:05:21 PM »

Maybe someone should start a seperate Jade Empire - Official Impressions thread where the focus of the thread could be.... I don't know... Impressions of Jade Empire.

This current thread could then become the matinee showing of Morrowind vs Jade Empire vs King Kong vs Godzilla.  Or whatever it's going to turn into by page 6.

Just a wacky thought.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2005, 07:12:31 PM »

I never once, in all the previews I read, got the impression that JE was supposed to be an action/adventure game to compete with the likes of NG

The comparison I made was strictly the difficulty level.  Thats it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2005, 07:33:12 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Sorry to say that Platinum Hits is not tied to game sales like it somewhat is (although this is arguable) on the PS2 Greatest Hits line.  It's a common misconception many people make.

My understanding is that there is a set of criteria, including sales, that are required before Microsoft makes a title a "Platinum Hit".  As I recall, it's something like 400,000 sold, which is not much below Sony's standard.  It's on the XBox retailer website somewhere; I'll try to find a link.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2005, 07:37:11 PM »

Sony set 400k early on as their Greatest Hit standard (though some titles seem to push this- I think Sly 1 was only at 300k when it was made a Greatest Hit).  When MS initially instituted Platinum Hits there was no sales standard, at the time because the installed base was so small very few titles would have qualified.  Same for Nintendo's "Player's Choice" series.  MS may have since set a sales standard- I'm not sure.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2005, 07:44:37 PM »

I've created an Jade Empire - Official Impressions thread (via Lockdown's request).  Please put impressions of JE in there, but let's not start comparing it to other games.  There are some people who may be on the fence about this game and just want information instead of comparisons.

Comparisons can continue in here though.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2005, 08:50:29 PM »

I think we have a case of over moderation here but what the heck....

I have mine. The cover is shiny. smile

I will not get to play it till late. Being M+ I have to wait till the kids are in bed.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2005, 09:02:56 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

Thats the point....

Ninja Gaiden...is a console fighter with lots of combos eastern fighting and mythilogical monsters, story, and abilities.

JE is an action adventure with martial arts fighting and eastern weaponry and mythilogical monsters story and abilities.

JE is advertised as having an awsome combat system with 40 unique fighting styles and lots of combos for combat in an RPG system where you grow your character as you choose amoungst the styles to choose from.  JE is advertised as having an incredibly challenging, fun, and ground breaking "contact based fighting system" as well.

Now tell me.  DO YOU SEE ANY RESEMBLENCE HERE?!  I do.

However, the point of the comparisons made so far is....JE IS NOT NG!  The point is so that people don't accidently mistake JE for a Ninja Gaiden RPG!  The point is to say that they actually have nothing in common in spite of the fact that if you just read the advertisements and watched the sample videos and looked at screen shots you'd think one was a sequel or something.

Yeah, yeah...I understand the content similarities.  Thing is, everybody seems to be comparing the gameplay similarities ("Combat in JE is similar to NG", "Combat in JE is not as hard as NG", "X aspect of combat in JE functions differently than in NG"), which seems odd given one's a straight-up action game and the other is an RPG.  It's kind of like saying "The combat in Diablo II is not as hard as the combat in Morrowind.".  True, they're both fantasy games, but they have totally different systems and gameplay styles.  Therefore the comparison doesn't really make any sense.  Other than the asian theme, I've never thought there seemed to be any sort of similarity between NG and JE, even in the marketing.  But that's just me.

Then again, I haven't played JE yet, so maybe they are similar enough to warrant the comparison.  It just didn't seem like it from all the previews.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well, got an hour in and I love it... although the wife made me stop to watch House.  What character is everyone using?  I am using the bonus character as I wanted to go magic and wanted to try first as a male character.  That said I am curious as to the other characters, for exammple transformation, what style character best makes use of it?

You can customize any of the character models, so the choice of character is independent of how you want to play.  If you want to use transformation styles, you'll need to max out your Chi.  I'm pretty sure that the initial character style only impacts your starting stats and the way they're automatically distributed.  

Basically, character choice is cosmetic, other than the male/female differences.

Another big one that'll frustrate you at first is: don't rely on the button for block in melee combat. This is very unfortunate and is the only thing i don't like about the game. There is no relyable way to block in melee combat. The block function only seems to actually be effective against normal ranged attacks

I'm going to disagree with you there.  Blocking is very effective against any normal attack, melee or ranged.  Blocking is completely ineffective against the strong (X button) melee or ranged attacks.  This is pointed out in the initial tutorial and the manual.  Blocks stop regular attacks, strong attacks break blocks, regular attacks can interrupt strong attacks.

I think it's reasonable to be disappointed by the shallowness of combat in Jade Empire.  It's a game about a martial artist, centered around martial arts, and the fighting is an important part of the game system, plot and world.  It's a central component of the game and, although passable, it's not that great.  Maybe it gets better.  Right now I find that it's not that interesting unless I go out of my way to do wacky things.  I don't think they get to hide behind genres here - the game focuses on a variety of action combat, and that gameplay element isn't that interesting.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I think we have a case of over moderation here but what the heck....

Well, as in all other forums there can be different threads for the same game.  I was giving those that just want impressions a place to read them instead of having to go through pages in order to find them while people are arguing about games other than Jade Empire.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2005, 09:52:39 PM »

I think it's reasonable to be disappointed by the shallowness of combat in Jade Empire. It's a game about a martial artist, centered around martial arts, and the fighting is an important part of the game system, plot and world.

But the flip side is what if I started up Ninja Gaiden and said "yeah the combat is really deep but the role playinng elements are almost completely non-existant!"  

Yes, Jade Empire is going for a more action based combat model than most other RPGs but I think its wholly unfair to criticize combat for not being as deep and fluid as Ninja Gaiden and God of War where that is the entire focus of those games.

I'm sure the combat engine of Jade Empire can be criticized on its own merits but I think its pretty inappropriate to criticize it on the basis of pure action and fighting titles.  

A similar thread was started on Quarter to Three and the comments were "gosh, combat just isn't nearly as good as God of War."  Well, duh!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »

Yeah heaven forbid a game developer tries to expand its audience. Or make a different style of game.

Developers can do things 'outside the box' without losing the ability to make as quality a game as their previous masterpiece.  It's just incredibly rare.

Bioware hasn't proven to be one of these rare developers.

BG2 was WAY linear - especially the back 1/2 of the game.

And, it was made with SPRITES. NO VOICE OVER. Long gone are the days of the 100 hour RPG.

And yet, it still pwns anything Bioware's done since.

Especially KOTOR.

Err...not quite.

Oblivion's going to be 100 hours long?  To what, install?  ( :wink: )

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: