http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 05:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The anything BUT Jade Empire discussion thread  (Read 15609 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2005, 11:57:14 PM »

It comes out next week and I'm setting up camp!

/edit: changed the thread title once again.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:28:42 AM »

IN!

(Before anything of substance hits this thread)

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 01:10:50 AM »

What do you want to know?  I'll have my review up Monday morning and have been playing it non-stop...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 01:22:19 AM »

Preordered and paid since February 10.  I guess you can count me in.

There's a thread going on GameFAQs which is slamming the game, primarily based on the OXM demo.  However, OXM itself gave the game a good review and Bioware has yet to let me down, so I'm not too worried about the opinions of a bunch of GameFAQs trolls.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:25:25 AM »

I personally feel the the OXM demo will prove to not be overly representative of the full game.  It was supposed to be just a taste of the combat.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 01:35:32 AM »

What do you want to know?

Is summed up, for me, by...

have been playing it non-stop...

How could anyone get a clear handle on the game from that 20 second OXM demo?

The CG Review will tell all!! biggrin

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »

I don't even have an Xbox and I want this. Don't convince me to get this....

Ascendent
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 02:11:30 AM »

All Bioware games are automatic purchases for me but I'd be interested in some brief impressions of:

1) Story
2) NPC depth
3) Graphics- specifically framerate (I've heard it can be choppy)
4) Combat
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 03:07:39 AM »

I posted something about this the other day, but here is the recap:
I avoided almost ALL mention of this game since it was announced. I nkew the setting, I knew the combat was much more user intensive and real time, and I knew it was martial arts. Ok. A couple days ago I figured it was time to start looking into info on the game. I went to the website, read up on it, looked at all the videos of the combat techniques and then:

On the Sexual scale developed by me with the aid of TML and Deppy, this game rates firmly in the Orgasm stage. Basically this is my most anticipated game starting right this second. I think its going to be absolutely phenomenally fun as long as the story is engrossing like most bioware games (I have no reason to believe it wont be, but there is really very little info about the story on the official site), and the combat is as involved and incredibly cool as it looks!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 03:26:34 AM »

I could almost ditto Rage. I've not been keeping up with this at all...

Then I read this post....

Then I visited the official site to see how it all turned out....

Oh my! I've glad I've not been hyped by this, it would have been a long wait. Can't wait till next week. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 03:36:30 AM »

1) Story
2) NPC depth
4) Combat

1.) Storyline thus far is engaging and you can tell that its going to stretch its legs and run for a while.  Its the standard fare 'you are the chosen one' stuff in the beginning, but in true Bioware fashion they quickly show you how this story will be a little different.

2.) ALL NPCs are voiced - they all have a story to tell, some have a little bit of envy for your power and position, some are confrontational, some treat you like a fledgling student.  No cookie cutters here.

3.) I have not seen framerate issues yet, the game has a high detail level.  Its not Splinter Cell, but it is certainly better than anything in KOTOR or KOTOR II.  

4.) Combat is good stuff.  Its a mixture of action and strategy.  With the D-Pad you can use 4 styles (I have 6 thus far) and switch through them on the fly.  A typical battle might go something like this:

I open with Dire Flame pelting my enemies from afar then switch to Heavenly Strike to slow my opponent with a few well-aimed strikes.  I switch to a third martial art (name escapes me right now) which is a high speed art that I can pummel my opponent repeatedly, and then finally switch to Long Sword and finish them off.  Additionally I can also map a Demon form into the D-Pad and use that form to drive my opponents into submission if I'd care to spend the Chi and Focus.

DO NOT LET THE OXM DEMO SWAY YOU THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!  The demo is ABSOLUTELY NOT indicative of the final product by ANY stretch.  I don't know what stupid ass greenlighted that 10 second demo but they should be smacked.  

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:53:40 AM »

I hope not - the demo blew major ass.  Combat was pathetic, imo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 04:28:19 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I heard bad things about it so I didn't even bother to try it-I cant IMAGINE how the combat that I saw clips of (there are like 20 on the official site), combined into a fast moving, real time, fluid, combine different stuff style could POSSIBLY be pathetic or suck, so hopefully KD is right.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 04:33:48 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
1) Story
2) NPC depth
4) Combat

1.) Storyline thus far is engaging and you can tell that its going to stretch its legs and run for a while.  Its the standard fare 'you are the chosen one' stuff in the beginning, but in true Bioware fashion they quickly show you how this story will be a little different.

2.) ALL NPCs are voiced - they all have a story to tell, some have a little bit of envy for your power and position, some are confrontational, some treat you like a fledgling student.  No cookie cutters here.

3.) I have not seen framerate issues yet, the game has a high detail level.  Its not Splinter Cell, but it is certainly better than anything in KOTOR or KOTOR II.  

4.) Combat is good stuff.  Its a mixture of action and strategy.  With the D-Pad you can use 4 styles (I have 6 thus far) and switch through them on the fly.  A typical battle might go something like this:

I open with Dire Flame pelting my enemies from afar then switch to Heavenly Strike to slow my opponent with a few well-aimed strikes.  I switch to a third martial art (name escapes me right now) which is a high speed art that I can pummel my opponent repeatedly, and then finally switch to Long Sword and finish them off.  Additionally I can also map a Demon form into the D-Pad and use that form to drive my opponents into submission if I'd care to spend the Chi and Focus.

DO NOT LET THE OXM DEMO SWAY YOU THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!  The demo is ABSOLUTELY NOT indicative of the final product by ANY stretch.  I don't know what stupid ass greenlighted that 10 second demo but they should be smacked.  

This all sounds Orgasm. So the story is involved and engrossing? Writing KOTOR quality Ron? And compare the combat to other RT RPGs like KOTOR-better? I liked KOTOR combat but thought that the "style" system they were going for in JE would be much deeper and more tactical. I think the one you are talking about is Thousand Cuts btw, that other combat style smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 04:51:52 AM »

I am just fearful because everything I have seen of this game has the main guy transforming and kicking ass.  From what I have read there is supposedly much, much more to it than that, but damn if it doesn't look more like Virtua Quest than anything.

I will buy it just to play the flying dragon shooter game from last years E3 video :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 05:19:16 AM »

Thanks Knightshade.  Sounds great.

Ooh- I have a new question!  Is there some half-assed plot excuse (find the _x_ number of sacred relics, missing Jedi council members, and whatever the exuse for KOTOR was) that allows you to visit _x_ locations in semi non-linear fashion like most recent Bioware games (okay one example was Obisidian)?  They write some great stories but that little gameplay/story conceit needs to be put to bed.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 05:23:34 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Thanks Knightshade.  Sounds great.

Ooh- I have a new question!  Is there some half-assed plot excuse (find the _x_ number of sacred relics, missing Jedi council members, and whatever the exuse for KOTOR was) that allows you to visit _x_ locations in semi non-linear fashion like most recent Bioware games (okay one example was Obisidian)?  They write some great stories but that little gameplay/story conceit needs to be put to bed.

Starmaps
Find 5 jedi

find the 5 jedi was slightly better at hiding the collect the keys syndrome than the canned starmaps, but I agree that a new plot device needs to be worked out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 05:32:30 AM »

Starmaps- thats it!  For the life of me I couldn't remember.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 01:16:33 PM »

See, I think the problem with the demo is that people took it for more than it was; a demo of the combat system to show the way it works. I've played each character 3-4 times, and I've gotten a better feel to how the combat works. The environment is partially destructable, (and there are improve fighting skills such as beating someone with a ham or a table leg). In the demo you can mess up the statue in the square. You can change modes rather quickly, and get used to the dodging and blocking.

The storyline, however, is non-existant in the demo, and people read too much into that. From what IGN was saying about it, there is open palm, closed fist, and neutral, and not all characters will care if you reek of cold death. Apparently it's not so cut-n-dry although I expect the veil to still be thin enough if you look for it.

This may well be the last game I buy for this gen's Xbox. It might just be that I've saved the best for last.  biggrin  Can't wait for next week.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 01:49:50 PM »

Replay Value?

That is my question.  Can I rent this and finish it over the course of two weeks/weekends.... or should I buy it because of the desire to play it again after finishing it.

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 01:59:45 PM »

Ponch is back!!

Buy it and shut up!  biggrin

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »

Just cancelled my preorder at EB....

...And then preorderd at Overstock for 45 bucks for the LE (yes they're charging an extra $1 and change for the LE, but it's still cheaper than any place else for a prebuy!

This number one on my most anticipated, but I'm planning to finish POP:WW before taking this on...BTW- POP:WW is, despite my initial reaction, quite amazing.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Just cancelled my preorder at EB....

...And then preorderd at Overstock for 45 bucks for the LE (yes they're charging an extra $1 and change for the LE, but it's still cheaper than any place else for a prebuy!

This number one on my most anticipated, but I'm planning to finish POP:WW before taking this on...BTW- POP:WW is, despite my initial reaction, quite amazing.

They say that shipping may be 2-15 days which seems a bit long.

Has anyone had any experience with them and how fast they ship?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 05:19:32 PM »

I got halo 2 the Friday after it came out so I that puts shipping at 3-4 days depending on when the mailed it.

As I'm in no hurry, it could take the full 15 and I wouldn't care.  I think that number is just a pad though...
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I got halo 2 the Friday after it came out so I that puts shipping at 3-4 days depending on when the mailed it.

As I'm in no hurry, it could take the full 15 and I wouldn't care.  I think that number is just a pad though...

I am not in a big rush either, but sooner is always better.

I went ahead and ordered from them.  For $10 I can wait a couple days if I must.

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2005, 05:53:21 PM »

I pre-ordered (the LE) from Overstock.com too. I had a $5 coupon (from them -  for anything), and they haven't burned me yet, so I figured what the heck...

Oddly enough, I was on the fence about JE until I played the much maligned demo. The fighting was much better than I was expecting (for the reflex impaired like me), the thing is drop dead gorgeous, and it's from Bioware. How can it miss?

I know nothing is certain, but the OXM review actually re-assured me. Sometimes, when they're not frothing at the mouth about Halo/Halo 2, they can actually do some decent reviews.

So to quote that great sage & wise man, Jerome Howard, "I can hardly wait!"

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »

Another question- how big are the areas compared to KOTOR 1 & 2 and how long are the load times compared to the aformentioned?
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

Fine I preordered...I don't even have an xbox and I'm hyped about this. Now to find a cheap xbox to play this on

Ascendent
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2005, 09:42:18 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Fine I preordered...I don't even have an xbox and I'm hyped about this. Now to find a cheap xbox to play this on

Ascendent

You got it bad, man. BAAAAAD :twisted: !
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

My demo disc was messed up when I received it, so I'm glad I didn't miss out on much.  But demo or not, this is one I'll be getting when it comes out.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2005, 01:52:36 AM »

at what level do you get your lightsaber?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2005, 02:00:25 AM »

Any hope of this seeing a PC release?  You see...I don't own an Xbox, but Bioware goodness must not be missed.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2005, 02:12:50 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Any hope of this seeing a PC release?  You see...I don't own an Xbox, but Bioware goodness must not be missed.

There's always hope, but having played the demo I don't see the combat system being anywhere near PC friendly.  It's real time where you control your main character in a 3D fighting game lite kind of way, switching styles on the go.  I have  a hard time seeing that translated to a mouse.

While there are some interface similarities, this is not KOTOR with an asian fantasy instead of Star Wars setting.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2005, 05:56:34 AM »

Bioware has definitely dropped hints about a PC release, but haven't officially confirmed anything.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2005, 11:33:48 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

There's always hope, but having played the demo I don't see the combat system being anywhere near PC friendly.  It's real time where you control your main character in a 3D fighting game lite kind of way, switching styles on the go.  I have  a hard time seeing that translated to a mouse.

Well there are gamepads.  Actually I have a PS2 Dual Shock connected to my PC and it works flawlessly.

Plus the inevitable PC port will have higher resolution graphics and (hopefully) have any bugs fixed.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »

I did not like either KOTOR at all and couldn't hang for more than an hour each.  As a matter of fact I have yet to find an rpg yet I like.  Wonder if this could be he one.  Hmmmmm.

Believe me, if I end up liking it then anyone can.  Will report back after renting.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2005, 12:34:44 PM »

Another question- how big are the areas compared to KOTOR 1 & 2 and how long are the load times compared to the aformentioned?

The areas are bigger than most in KOTOR 1 and 2 and the load times are cut in half.  Two steps in the right direction. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2005, 07:41:40 PM »

The areas are bigger than most in KOTOR 1 and 2 and the load times are cut in half.  Two steps in the right direction. smile

Goddamn thats like 90% of the technical problems with KOTOR1 and 2 solved right there!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2005, 08:05:44 PM »

Great to hear!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »

Thanks for the impressions Ron.  I may have to schedule a day off next week...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: