http://gamingtrend.com
December 05, 2016, 12:39:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Telltale and Game of Thrones!  (Read 1549 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »

please be true!

IGN has learned from multiple sources that Telltale Games is developing a game based on George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones.

It’s worth noting that, while “Game of Thrones” is the title of HBO’s series based on Martin’s books, the series itself is actually known as A Song of Ice and Fire, and the first book is titled Game of Thrones. It’s currently unclear what title Telltale will be using for its game, and whether the storyline will be based on the show, books, or something entirely new.

of all the games made based on the series, this could actually be a good one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:36:04 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »

Could be cool, but it depends a lot on how their license works. If they're only allowed to make small stories set in the "current" time period in the setting, the game's impact will be severely lessened. If they were allowed to explore some of the other important periods throughout Westeros history however, things could get very interesting indeed. They might not be allowed to touch Robert's Rebellion, The Hedge Knight or The Dance of the Dragons (all of which are earmarked for other story treatments), but there are plenty other events of importance.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 21, 2013, 10:48:11 PM

Could be cool, but it depends a lot on how their license works. If they're only allowed to make small stories set in the "current" time period in the setting, the game's impact will be severely lessened. If they were allowed to explore some of the other important periods throughout Westeros history however, things could get very interesting indeed. They might not be allowed to touch Robert's Rebellion, The Hedge Knight or The Dance of the Dragons (all of which are earmarked for other story treatments), but there are plenty other events of importance.
I was kind of hoping for one set during Robert's Rebellion.  still, this could be interesting.  wonder how they'll work combat into it.  and do they plan on using multiple characters' PoV?  it would allow they to pull a first person death scene and get that nice knife-you-in-the-gut feeling that GRRR is famous for.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »

and confirmed!

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »

Well, they already have nudity in the Fables game, no reason they can't have huge sexposition scenes in the adventure game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »

Since Telltale's license seems to be for Game of Thrones the TV series, not A Song of Ice and Fire the books, I guess we can stop speculating about the time period. This will take place alongside the show in some way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »

Wow what a start!
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »

I finished Episode 1 up this morning. I was not expecting the end at all, which made the entire episode even more enjoyable.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But come on this is Game of Thrones we should know that everyone is susceptible to a quick death.

The choices you are presented with really do seem huge at the time you are making them. I will no doubt go back and play it with opposite choices.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the graphics style they use with this game though. It seems like they are going for a look that makes the gamelook like a moving painting, but everything in the background is way to blurry for my tastes. It's not going to ruin the game for me, but I wish they would tone the blurriness down a bit.

Also, on the PS4 I didn't notice any of the audio issues Ron talked about in his review. So your mileage may vary on that complaint.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kvothe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »

I just bought this for ios..: I feel these games are best played mobile...  I'm looking forward to starting it tonight or tomorrow night.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »

Finished the first episode today, and it was very enjoyable. I kind of saw the ending coming (not the details, but the gist of it), but it was still effective.

I just wish Telltale would stop with their fucking mandatory previews at the end of every episode. It's like they're doing their hardest to piss off non-American players who aren't used to (and don't want) that kind of thing. They're essentially telling us that they're so desperate to show us an ad at the end of the episode we paid for that we're not allowed to skip it in any way. They even put it before your final results and the credits, which means jumping back to the menu isn't an option either. I end up turning off the sound and leaving the room until it's safe to come back, and no game should ever force me to do shit like that. I've complained to them about this before, but they ignore feedback on this issue. Every single time I play one of their games, I enjoy it up until the moment the preview comes up, which results in me feeling mildly angry by the time I turn the game off. That's not something they should encourage.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »

I've got my review on the front page, for those interested.  It has no spoilers.  smile

yea, I'm with you on that TiLT.  That, and if I'm beating your game for a second time, don't force me to watch your credits.  I end up alt-tabbing and crashing the game to avoid it.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 04, 2014, 09:28:23 PM

Finished the first episode today, and it was very enjoyable. I kind of saw the ending coming (not the details, but the gist of it), but it was still effective.

I just wish Telltale would stop with their fucking mandatory previews at the end of every episode. It's like they're doing their hardest to piss off non-American players who aren't used to (and don't want) that kind of thing. They're essentially telling us that they're so desperate to show us an ad at the end of the episode we paid for that we're not allowed to skip it in any way. They even put it before your final results and the credits, which means jumping back to the menu isn't an option either. I end up turning off the sound and leaving the room until it's safe to come back, and no game should ever force me to do shit like that. I've complained to them about this before, but they ignore feedback on this issue. Every single time I play one of their games, I enjoy it up until the moment the preview comes up, which results in me feeling mildly angry by the time I turn the game off. That's not something they should encourage.

I don't get this complaint at all. Other than the fact that you don't like previews, how exactly does a 1 minute preview upset you? Also, I wasn't aware that previews are an American thing. Personally I enjoy them.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 05, 2014, 01:47:24 PM

how exactly does a 1 minute preview upset you? Also, I wasn't aware that previews are an American thing.

These two statements are more closely related than you think. Whenever I see regular American TV productions (which isn't often, admittedly), every time they return from a commercial break there's a summary of what's going to be shown in the upcoming 5-10 minutes, just to keep the viewer interested. This ties closely together with the episode previews in TV series and in Telltale games, as neither type of preview is very common outside of the USA, as far as I'm aware. It's a very American phenomenon, and I don't expect an American to understand why it's a problem (not because of any lack of intelligence or imagination, mind you. It's just because it's hard to immediately grasp a perspective that doesn't match what you've grown up with).

Anyway, why would anyone who likes the previews be upset that someone who doesn't like them wants them to be skippable? Does that impact your enjoyment of the game? That was another thing that bothered me when I posted about this thing at Telltale's forum after The Wolf Among Us was released. There were a bunch of people who jumped into the thread to say things like "I like the previews," which for them was apparently reason enough for me to like them too. That is what truly puzzles me. Why can't we have choice in a game series that is entirely built around that concept? Am I the only one to see the irony here?
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 05, 2014, 01:56:07 PM

Quote from: Scraper on December 05, 2014, 01:47:24 PM

how exactly does a 1 minute preview upset you? Also, I wasn't aware that previews are an American thing.

Whenever I see regular American TV productions (which isn't often, admittedly), every time they return from a commercial break there's a summary of what's going to be shown in the upcoming 5-10 minutes, just to keep the viewer interested.

There were a bunch of people who jumped into the thread to say things like "I like the previews," which for them was apparently reason enough for me to like them too. That is what truly puzzles me. Why can't we have choice in a game series that is entirely built around that concept? Am I the only one to see the irony here?

I haven't really seen the preview at each commercial thing on American TV so I'm not sure what you mean by that. A lot of serialized shows will show a preview at the end, but it's usually 20-30 seconds long and shown during the credits. So again it's usually not a big deal.

As for the irony thing, I wasn't trying to change your mind, but this is a video game discussion board, so I was trying to discuss why previews would bother someone enough to actually complain about them. I could see if they were Metal Gear Solid style 20 minute unskippable videos but in TellTale's case they are usually pretty short.

I will admit that one weird thing that bothers me about TellTale games (And any other dev that does this) is when they have a list of the developer's pets in the end credits. That shit drives me nuts. The credits are long enough as it is without adding in a list of 200 pets who really had nothing to do with the game.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 05, 2014, 02:17:51 PM

I haven't really seen the preview at each commercial thing on American TV so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's the kind of thing where they'll say "coming up next" or similar phrases, then show a couple of things to try to hook you into watching until the next commercial. My impression is that it's very common. GameTrailers used to do this kind of thing too with their Bonus Round videos, but they must have gotten complaints, because they've stopped.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 05, 2014, 02:26:29 PM

I haven't really seen the preview at each commercial thing on American TV so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's the kind of thing where they'll say "coming up next" or similar phrases, then show a couple of things to try to hook you into watching until the next commercial. My impression is that it's very common. GameTrailers used to do this kind of thing too with their Bonus Round videos, but they must have gotten complaints, because they've stopped.

I've never heard of a preview at any point except at the end to tease what's coming next week.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

I'm with Tilt on this one. I'm playing the Walking Dead currently, and I absolutely detest their "in our next episode sequences". These chapters are only about an hour long, so I don't want anything to be given away. But you can't skip them. And then it's soon afterward followed by "in our LAST episode..."

I played the last episode thirty f!cking seconds ago! I don't need a recap. Especially one I can't skip. What an inconsiderate oversight.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 05, 2014, 02:39:58 PM

I've never heard of a preview at any point except at the end to tease what's coming next week.

Yeah, I'm not sure what shows Tilt is watching, but outside of BSG doing that kind of tease after their credits, I don't see that sort of thing in US TV other than a "here's what's coming next week" blurb at the end of a show.

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 05, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

I'm with Tilt on this one. I'm playing the Walking Dead currently, and I absolutely detest their "in our next episode sequences". These chapters are only about an hour long, so I don't want anything to be given away. But you can't skip them. And then it's soon afterward followed by "in our LAST episode..."

I played the last episode thirty f!cking seconds ago! I don't need a recap. Especially one I can't skip. What an inconsiderate oversight.

An inconsiderate oversight?  You sound like ibdoomed.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »

I do agree that the preview should be skippable. It would take about 2 seconds to program that option in.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 05, 2014, 03:02:20 PM

It would take about 2 seconds to program that option in.

Ugh... I start twitching when I read stuff like that, seeing as it's one of my pet peeves. For your own safety, try to never say that sentence out loud while in the vicinity of a programmer. Fists may start flying in random directions.
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 05, 2014, 06:12:19 PM

Quote from: Scraper on December 05, 2014, 03:02:20 PM

It would take about 2 seconds to program that option in.

Ugh... I start twitching when I read stuff like that, seeing as it's one of my pet peeves. For your own safety, try to never say that sentence out loud while in the vicinity of a programmer. Fists may start flying in random directions.
Its hard to win with you isn't it Tilt? I try to conceed a point and still you shit on it. Would it take 2 seconds to program the option in? Hell no, it's a figure of speech.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 06, 2014, 02:11:31 PM

Its hard to win with you isn't it Tilt?

Win? I wasn't aware we were having a competition.

I try to conceed a point and still you shit on it. Would it take 2 seconds to program the option in? Hell no, it's a figure of speech.

As I said, it's a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal. There are way too many people who berate programmers and say those exact words ("it'll only take 2 seconds to implement") and mean them seriously for it to be very funny to me, as a programmer myself. It's next to impossible to separate the ironic from those who are being serious.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 05, 2014, 02:39:58 PM

Pretty much every 'Reality' TV show I've ever seen has this preview crap.  It's as annoying as the documentary type shows where they rehash the previous segment.  I almost never watch reality TV shows anymore and I've basically given up on shows on the History channel from all the commercial break recaps. 
Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 06, 2014, 02:41:58 PM

Quote from: Scraper on December 06, 2014, 02:11:31 PM

Its hard to win with you isn't it Tilt?

Win? I wasn't aware we were having a competition.

I try to conceed a point and still you shit on it. Would it take 2 seconds to program the option in? Hell no, it's a figure of speech.

As I said, it's a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal. There are way too many people who berate programmers and say those exact words ("it'll only take 2 seconds to implement") and mean them seriously for it to be very funny to me, as a programmer myself. It's next to impossible to separate the ironic from those who are being serious.
It's hard to win with you is another figure of speech. It means that even when someone tries to agree with you or compliment you, you will still find a reason to complain. I didn't imply that anyone was actually trying to win anything.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:32 AM »

This game is pretty much unplayable on my iPad (4th gen).  Frame rate typically is in the single digits, dialog  constantly skips or repeats itself,  by the time the dialog options show up on screen the timer is usually halfway gone, etc.  it's very odd...I just finished The Wolf Among Us, which ran flawlessly.

I'll probably just wait until it's all finished and grab the full season for PC.

"There's no wrong way to love a chocobo." - Prince Noctis, FF XV
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »

Episode 2 has a release date(s) - February 3, 4, and 5 on Playstation, XBox, and mobile respectively.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 04:31:43 AM »

Episode 2 was a terrible, boring slog. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »

It looks like the final episode comes out next month. Also, the first episode is going to be made free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: