http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 360 Killed the previous Generation  (Read 3411 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »

The 360 made me go out and finally buy that big ass HD television. Between the hi-def graphics and the achievements I have NOT played a PS2 game. In fact the only reason I have turned my Xbox on at all is to play psychonauts.

Never before has this happened to me, I have not purchased or looked at a ps2/xbox game in the store since.

I think its a combination of XBOX Live/Achievments and how terrible the PS2 looks on my 42" Plasma...

And Im also playing the console games longer than ever to unlock achievements.... Microsoft literally DUMPED the whole XBOX line when the 360 came out... Im sure sony plans on Milking the PS2 for years....

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »

Yeah the Xbox 360 killed the Xbox.  Same as how the Gamecube killed the N64.  See that's why backwards compatibility is so important.  I'm not sure that "Sony milking the PS2" is such a bad thing after all.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »

Im sure sony plans on Milking the PS2 for years....
Sony will milk the PS2 by porting all the bad PS2 games to the PSP, and then remove the fun parts to make the PSP games unique smile.  

I understand about the 360 though.  Its pretty hard to play on the PS2 now, as it looks pretty bad in comparison to the 360, and it doesn't have the slick integration the 360 does.  I also like the achievment points at times more then I should.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

Interesting. I bought a new 55" HD tv right before the 360 and I think the PS2 games look better than ever on it. I play more PS2 games than 360 but that is just due to the quantity of games in the genres that I like.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »

Since I got my 360 a month ago I've probably played more Xbox games than 360 games.  But I also never had an Xbox so they're all pretty new to me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 11, 2006, 12:56:38 PM

I understand about the 360 though.  Its pretty hard to play on the PS2 now, as it looks pretty bad in comparison to the 360, and it doesn't have the slick integration the 360 does.  I also like the achievment points at times more then I should.

Huh? I play my PS2 all the time. Yeah, the titles don't look as good as those on the 360, but graphics aren't the most important part of the game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »

Huh? I play my PS2 all the time. Yeah, the titles don't look as good as those on the 360, but graphics aren't the most important part of the game.
Graphics aren't the most important part.  Games like DQ VIII still look good.  But when a lot of the games are also released on all the systems, hard to get anything but the 360.  Also, if there are two games I want to play, one that looks good and is easier to use on the 360, I'll play it.  Better 360 controllers, achievement points, XBox Live, better graphics and sound, etc all make the 360 more desireable for me.

Not much on the PS2 really interests me anymore either.  Not to much time to get involved in a game like Disgaea 2, and I'm tired of a lot of the RPGs on the PS2 as well, as they seem fairly stale. 

---
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 02:23:25 PM »

I haven't touched my PS2 since I got my 360.  I got tired of it taking up space and finally moved it down into my sons room so he could play it.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »

Got the PS2 in March. It has made me not desire a 360 in the least. TEHO.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 11, 2006, 02:46:09 PM

Congrats, you are the newest member of a very small minority of gamers.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »

I setup my PS2 to try Shadow of the Colossus after I bought my 360; but beyond that it has been sitting in a box in the garage for months...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »

Pssh, the previous Gen is still alive and well, what with Disgaea 2, Yakuza and Okami; the PS2 hasn't skipped a beat.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 11, 2006, 04:10:15 PM

Pssh, the previous Gen is still alive and well, what with Disgaea 2, Yakuza and Okami; the PS2 hasn't skipped a beat.

I wouldn't say its alive and well, more like in its final days (figuratively of course), but sure, good titles will still pop up, but surely you can see that these titles are getting less in number and occuring less frequently, so the writing is on the wall.

In my everyday life, I know 8 people off the top of my head that owned either a PS2 or XBOX and now own a 360. Of those, all but one has sold their previous console and the lone holdout is a Gran Turismo 4 addict that keeps his PS2 just for that game.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »

Of those, all but one has sold their previous console and the lone holdout is a Gran Turismo 4 addict that keeps
his PS2 just for that game.

Foolish mistake in my opinion. There are some blockbuster releases due out before the end of this year for the PS2.  The games for the 360 cannot be better from a perspective of story, pacing, gameplay and writing than these PS2 releases...so the people you're talking about must all be about the graphics.

Wombat on CAG has a great point in one of the Cagcasts. The games coming out for 360 wouldn't be getting hardly any of the pub or buzz if they were coming out for any other system. However, because 360 is the new kid there's a disproportionate raving about anything that's even half-way good on that system.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 04:32:43 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 11, 2006, 03:35:12 PM

Oh and let's compare sales numbers of PS2 and 360. You tell me who's really in the minority.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »

PS2 sold 262k units in August -  beating every console except for the DS.  I'd say that constitutes an "alive and well."

TheMissingLink on PSN
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 04:37:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 11, 2006, 04:32:43 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 11, 2006, 03:35:12 PM

Oh and let's compare sales numbers of PS2 and 360. You tell me who's really in the minority.

Now that is just silly. Roll Eyes You don't think Gears of War wouldn't get pub? Or Halo 3? Pfft, come on now, if were gonna debate, at least do it with some intellectual honesty.
ATB, we're talking about how most people, after getting a 360, let their others consoles go, or just store them. All I did was provide my own experiences and those of my friends, as a way of backing up the original posters claim. If you disagree, fine, stay in PS2 land and miss out on all the great current and upcoming 360 games, no skin off my back whatsoever.

As for your claim about their stories being better than 360 games and my friends being graphics whores, thats bogus. You act as though 360 games are just glitz and flash, something that isn't true, but at this point, your own biases are starting to shine through, so there really is no point in providing you with information that counters your claim. If someone else wants to talk about some great games that aren't all graphics, go right ahead, but at a minimum, Oblivion is one that surely you would see is hardly a graphics over all else kind of game. Come on man.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:41:43 PM by jblank » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 04:39:06 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 11, 2006, 04:37:16 PM

PS2 sold 262k units in August -  beating every console except for the DS.  I'd say that constitutes an "alive and well."

Well we will just agree to disagree I suppose, but thats fine, you guys keep playing the games that make you happy, but for me, my PS2 and XBOX were afterthoughts after I got my 360, and I don't look back with an ounce of regret.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 04:45:01 PM »

I understand about the 360 though.  Its pretty hard to play on the PS2 now, as it looks pretty bad in comparison to the 360, and it doesn't have the slick integration the 360 does.
+1

In comparison, PS2/Xbox/GC games are a jaggy blurry mess when using a high quality HDTV.  The games themselves are still fun, but the visuals definitely look last-gen when held up to what the 360 can produce.  Graphic Whore FTW!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:47:33 PM by Laner » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »

While I love my 360 I find myself wishing there were more games I'd like on it.  Those would be RPG's like the upcoming Final Fantasy 12 and Rogue Galaxy.  Until the 360 develops a more solid lineup of RPG's I doubt I'll be chucking my PS2 anytime soon.  The 360's great for the games it has but they tend to fall in certain categories (i.e. sports & racing games and shooters) that don't appeal to everyone.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 04:48:50 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 11, 2006, 04:45:01 PM

I understand about the 360 though.  Its pretty hard to play on the PS2 now, as it looks pretty bad in comparison to the 360, and it doesn't have the slick integration the 360 does.
+1

In comparison, PS2/Xbox/GC games are a jaggy blurry mess when using a high quality HDTV.  The games themselves are still fun, but the visuals definitely look last-gen when held up to what the 360 can produce.

And for me at least, that started to take away from the games themselves, to the point where I lost desire to play even some of my favorite PS2 and original XBOX games. It's not that the games lost anything, its just that the experience, for me, that I get on current gen games, pales in comparison to what I get on the 360. There is just so much to do and I got sucked into Oblivion so when I tried to go back to the PS2 or original XBOX games, they just didn't interest me. I still play the hell out of my PSP and DS, but the PS2 and XBOX definitely lost luster to me and I no longer have them because of that.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 11, 2006, 04:46:52 PM

While I love my 360 I find myself wishing there were more games I'd like on it.  Those would be RPG's like the upcoming Final Fantasy 12 and Rogue Galaxy.  Until the 360 develops a more solid lineup of RPG's I doubt I'll be chucking my PS2 anytime soon.  The 360's great for the games it has but they tend to fall in certain categories (i.e. sports & racing games and shooters) that don't appeal to everyone.

For someone who is huge on RPG's, that makes perfect sense and I would suggest that also, but as someone that loves military/sports/racing games, the 360 blew everything else offered away.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:20 PM »

The 360 killed most of my ps2 gaming for a long time.  I picked up Yakuza for the ps2 last week and dug my ps2 out of storage for the first time since the beginning of the summer.  The graphics aren't what I've gotten used to, but the game is worth it.

Personally I just can't afford to buy all the games I want for 4 systems right now, so I'm happy to let the 360 murder my desire to play other systems at the moment  icon_biggrin

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:56:31 PM »

I just picked up a couple of BC games to play on the 360: Gottlieb Pinball Hall of Fame and Colin McRae 04. Having fun with both, but I'd thought they'd have been able to do a better job with FSAA.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 04:59:33 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 11, 2006, 04:56:31 PM

I just picked up a couple of BC games to play on the 360: Gottlieb Pinball Hall of Fame and Colin McRae 04. Having fun with both, but I'd thought they'd have been able to do a better job with FSAA.

It can only do so good with the source material. Think of upconverting DVD players, they can take a regular DVD and make it look better for the most part, but still, at the end of the day, it isn't HD, and never will be.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »

Current generation is still going strong for me- I've got a 360 but PS2 has far and away dominated my gaming time this year and it looks to stay that way through the holidays. Truth be told, if it wasn't Oblivion (which runs like crap on my PC), I'd be feeling pretty heavy buyer's remorse over picking up the 360.  Still, I'm sure I'll be glad I got it when most of the titles I'm really interested in start appearing in the first half of next year. 
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 05:06:47 PM »

While I love my 360 I find myself wishing there were more games I'd like on it.  Those would be RPG's like the upcoming Final Fantasy 12 and Rogue Galaxy.
Another Final Fantasy, yawn...  I got really tired of them part way through X.  Boring, easy random battle after random battle, followed by movies showing a pretty dull plot, or trying too...  Blah.

Rogue Galaxy on the other hand, may be the one reason my PS2 hasn't been disconnected.

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 05:07:50 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 11, 2006, 04:59:33 PM

It can only do so good with the source material. Think of upconverting DVD players, they can take a regular DVD and make it look better for the most part, but still, at the end of the day, it isn't HD, and never will be.

I hear you. Still, I'd love to see them upgrade the graphics on these. While Richard Burns Rally smokes the tar out of every Colin McRae effort on PC since CMR02, it's perfect for a console. For the pinball, they could have a parlor like the Gottlieb game does and sell individual tables for 400 or 800 points. I'd gladly pay that for well-made tables, especially if the camera angles were a touch better.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 11, 2006, 01:38:23 PM

I understand about the 360 though.  Its pretty hard to play on the PS2 now, as it looks pretty bad in comparison to the 360, and it doesn't have the slick integration the 360 does.  I also like the achievment points at times more then I should.

Destructor, I completly agree, graphics are NOT everything. But I find with all the 360 games I have, I havent even played some of them... Achievement points, xbox live intergration is HUGE.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 11, 2006, 05:06:47 PM

While I love my 360 I find myself wishing there were more games I'd like on it.  Those would be RPG's like the upcoming Final Fantasy 12 and Rogue Galaxy.
Another Final Fantasy, yawn...  I got really tired of them part way through X.  Boring, easy random battle after random battle, followed by movies showing a pretty dull plot, or trying too...  Blah.

Haven't read much on FFXII, have you?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 11, 2006, 01:45:49 PM

Graphics aren't the most important part.  Games like DQ VIII still look good.  But when a lot of the games are also released on all the systems, hard to get anything but the 360.

Well, obviously yeah, I buy the best console when it comes to multiport titles. But I also buy so few of those games it's not really a consideration for me. Normally it's a title that's only out on one system.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 06:47:30 PM »

If you are into JRPGs then the PS2 is still very viable.  I have no interest in anything on the PS2 except Disgea 2.  But since my 2nd PS2 died a couple of months ago I probabaly will never buy another one.  If it weren't for NFL 2K5 the 360 would be the only console I ever turn on. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

Yeah, um. It isn't MOTS, it's LessOTS. At least, from what I've been reading. GR is posting average rank in the low nineties; I suppose you couldn't expect less unless the game was a dramatic flop. I mean, who'd have the guts to tell the pharoah you and 12 of your closest friends thinks his daughter looks like Anubis?

As to another overwraught story of an androgenous male princess and an effeminate male exploring the world they know nothing about, I'll take a pass. That's not to take away from the game itself, I haven't played through a FF game completely since VII. I played VIII and IX through to the 2nd and 3rd disk (respectively) and was hooked on the PC iteration of FFXI as a means of escapism from a spirit-crushing marriage. I never played X, playing VIII dashed my hopes of ever caring about a Squeenix game.

I find the charm of games like Full Throttle or Strangers Wrath more appealing; I like my hero to be street-wise and experienced. If I wanted to be led around by some pansie, I'd be dating Big Gay Al. (sssssuper!!)

As to consoles; Mr.360 has effectively stopped my interests in them. There is ENOUGH on the system to keep me interested and I don't have the boatloads of time I used to to dedicate to gaming. N3 is JUST AS GOOD as any DW game, albiet shorter (thank you Phantagram). I haven't even had time to pick up and play -eM- yet, and my Oblivion love has gone untended for so long. I have yet to put my used copy of Chromehounds into my 360, and I've easily put 40+ hours into N3 (so DAMNED close; I just can't beat the Night Man with weak-ass Innfyy).

Hell, I still haven't played HL2 Ep1 which is currently installed and ready to go!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge
Yeah, um. It isn't MOTS, it's LessOTS. At least, from what I've been reading. GR is posting average rank in the low nineties; I suppose you couldn't expect less unless the game was a dramatic flop. I mean, who'd have the guts to tell the pharoah you and 12 of your closest friends thinks his daughter looks like Anubis?

I'm not speaking to FFXII's quality because, um, I haven't played it (duh) however the game is pretty much unlike every other FF game other than maybe XI in terms of gameplay mechanics (no random encounters, completely wide open world, no separate battle screen, combat doesn't involve two lines of characters going at it, etc) and it's also the first game since FF6 to not have a single protagonist but instead is more of an ensemble.  So whether it's a good game or not (and pretty much *every* Final Fantasy has scored in the low 90s on Game Rankings so it's current ranking isn't particularly telling), it certainly isn't more of the same. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 11, 2006, 05:06:47 PM

While I love my 360 I find myself wishing there were more games I'd like on it.  Those would be RPG's like the upcoming Final Fantasy 12 and Rogue Galaxy.
Another Final Fantasy, yawn...  I got really tired of them part way through X.  Boring, easy random battle after random battle, followed by movies showing a pretty dull plot, or trying too...  Blah.
Methinks you don't know anything about FFXII then.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 11, 2006, 05:07:50 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 11, 2006, 04:59:33 PM

I hear you. Still, I'd love to see them upgrade the graphics on these. While Richard Burns Rally smokes the tar out of every Colin McRae effort on PC since CMR02, it's perfect for a console. For the pinball, they could have a parlor like the Gottlieb game does and sell individual tables for 400 or 800 points. I'd gladly pay that for well-made tables, especially if the camera angles were a touch better.

i went a little crazy over the last few weeks and have been loading up on BC games for the 360 (hey, they're like 10 bucks apiece, how can i NOT!   icon_biggrin).  Picked up Fable: Lost Chapters, Fatal Frame II, The Suffering, Hitman 2, Jade Empire, and Doom 3.  They all look okay, but whoever wrote the software patch to run Hitman 2 needs to release a patch ASAP.  as it stands, if i move my guy even an inch, he skates across the ground like it's an ice rink.  avoid that one like the plague.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »

FF12 will be great,maybe not compared to earlier FF titles,but compared to the 'usual' game out there

my 360 has taken over my life,i love it...the only thing wrong with it in my opinion is the silly hard drive only being 13 gig...when you have final fantasy 11 on there that takes up 6-7 gig

anyway,i find that i play my DS more than my ps2,i think the last game i really played on the ps2 may of been metal gear solid 3.....but then again the last game i played on my gamecube was zelda ocarina of time and majoras mask....360 has taken over!!,the only reason i play the DS is because its while im at work,lol

i only have a widesreen sony wega,so have yet to appreciate the HD of 360 gaming,but if im enjoying it so much now.....

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »

well, I can still enjoy playing an NES, or N64, or what-have-you even on a fancy new TV, so no, the 360 hasn't "killed" the previous generation, except for those who are seduced by whatever's the "latest & greatest". biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »

Although I still have 5 or 6 games to finish that aren't BC I ended up taking my X-Box out of my entertainment center this past weekend.  The 360 improved my gaming experience in every single way (video, audio, live, gamerpoints, streaming music) and I just can't go back.  I'll just wait until they finally release BC for Psychonaughts to play it and the others in my pile.

Gamerpoints are absolutely brilliant.  They've opened up more reasons to actually play games through more than once.  Or to play them in whole new ways that I wouldn't have even thought of previously.  I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth on more games these days (even to compensate for the $10 price increase).

On a similar note I almost bought a PS2 just for Guitar Hero.  But I had to admit to myself that it just wouldn't get much play time due to the graphics.  I suppose it's a little shallow, but the 360 has spoiled me.  So, yes, the previous generation is pretty much done for me.  But I got my time in as I started with a PS2, then switched to a GC and finally an X-Box.  I had good times with each of them.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 11, 2006, 08:01:57 PM

On a similar note I almost bought a PS2 just for Guitar Hero.  But I had to admit to myself that it just wouldn't get much play time due to the graphics.  I suppose it's a little shallow, but the 360 has spoiled me.  So, yes, the previous generation is pretty much done for me.  But I got my time in as I started with a PS2, then switched to a GC and finally an X-Box.  I had good times with each of them.

I'm a graphics whore... however Guitar Hero absolutely transcends graphics, you don't look at it, you experience it. I re-bought a PS2 for GH alone and consider it money very well spent.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: