http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 360 crashes! It must suck!  (Read 2720 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »

Holy cow people are just waiting for something to complain about.  I have seen videos of the 360 crashing on at least 3 sites this morning!

Like other consoles never locked up?  

I mean, I am all for hating the people who were lucky enough to get systems smile but it just seems like people want a reason to dislike the system.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »

Mine had some error when I first booted it up...then I turned it off and on again and haven't had a problem since.

It's cool to hate MS.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »

Haven't had an issue yet, but if you look for one I am sure you will find one.

The 360 does have built in protection against heat. The dial will light up in red when it has reached it's heat threshold.

With three CPUs you gotta keep that bad boy well ventilated.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »

I had one game out of four of Madden to lock up.  Not that big of deal but it is frustrating.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 03:10:29 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Mine had some error when I first booted it up...then I turned it off and on again and haven't had a problem since.

It's cool to hate MS.

Yup all the cool kids do it!  And it is "M$"

warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 03:17:40 PM »

Not to come off as hating Micro$oft (sorry couldn't resist -  Tongue ) because I'm planning on buying a 360 eventually but...

Is it normal for a console to crash?  I've owned 5 different consoles and have never had one crash.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 03:22:42 PM »

Every console since PS1 I have owned and have had them crash.  My PS2 was actually the worst of the bunch.  

Edit to add.... I have had one crash with my 360.  I had just finished a race in PGR3, and the system was grabbing rankings from XBLive and my net connection went down and the system just sort of froze, it may have timed out eventually, not sure.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 03:57:10 PM »

The 360 does have built in protection against heat. The dial will light up in red when it has reached it's heat threshold.

I was going to mention this - That thing gets REALLY hot. I might have to move it out of the cabinet that it's in.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 04:06:55 PM »

My Xbox 1 has locked up a ton over the course of its long life.  A lot of the lock-ups I think could be attributed to it being an initial launch Xbox with the POS thompson drive.  I also had it stuffed in the back of my tv cabinet which probably didn't help with keeping it cool.  

I haven't seen the inside of the 360 architecture, is there an airflow cooling system inside with fans?  Or is it just heatsinks over the processors?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 04:22:33 PM »

I am alarmed at the number of reported lock ups and crashes this early in the game though -- It's only been out for a day....
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »

Beware!! Teh Xbox can killz U!!1!!1
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »

Oddly enough, I have more crashes on my Xbox than I have on my PS2. For every 3 XB crashes I have 1 PS2 crash. Turn it off, let it cool for a second, then turn it back on. Fixed.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 04:49:11 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I haven't seen the inside of the 360 architecture, is there an airflow cooling system inside with fans?  Or is it just heatsinks over the processors?

Two rear fans, right heatsink is CPU, left one is GPU.

(From anandtech's dissection)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 04:58:18 PM »

Great shot, thanks.  They must've done a good job dampening the fan noise.  Most of the reviews I've read all mention that it's a quiet machine.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 05:03:28 PM »

I was going to mention this - That thing gets REALLY hot. I might have to move it out of the cabinet that it's in.

In all the hype of trying to be the media center of the living room, MS forgot to mention the 360's ability to function as a space heater.  

I won't be removing mine from the cabinet that it's in, but I'll definitely keep the cabinet door open when it's on.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 05:18:27 PM »

Yea...its the 360 that crashes....it CAN'T be the software.  :roll:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »

Great shot, thanks.  They must've done a good job dampening the fan noise.  Most of the reviews I've read all mention that it's a quiet machine.

The fans are on a temp-sensor, they fire up when it gets too hot. It's pretty loud with all fans running full bore, as I discovered last night... still not sure how to ventilate my entertainment center... it may involve a saw or a drill bit that makes big holes.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 05:23:50 PM »

I've seriously debated on moving my 360 from the under the TV cabinet it's in to a spot next to the TV itself, but the machine makes too much noise to put it anywhere it can be heard.

While we're talking about noise though - I've heard sayings around the 'net that the console is quieter when it's on its side. Anyone want to test that out? Personally, it doesn't make any sense, and I don't want to strain the DVD drive by putting the thing on its side.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 05:53:46 PM »

Yea...its the 360 that crashes....it CAN'T be the software. Rolling Eyes

If its the software, then Microsoft's certification process sucks, and it is still Microsoft's problem.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »

That looks like a ram air duct on that as well, or a ventilation duct depending on which way the fan rotates.
The outside of the case, particularly the sides are very ventilated as well

Mine runs very quiet, haven't heard any load noises yet. Just a dull fan noise if the Xbox 360 is the only thing running.

I haven't had any crashes yet, and I have had it running for fours hours straight at the most.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 07:08:55 PM »

I agree with Roguetad. The first batch of consoles out the door for launch are always the guinea pigs. It gives Microsoft (and Sony,etc.) time to figure out what the bugs are, and fix them for the new batch. So waiting until next year for an Xbox 360 isn't necessarily a bad thing, since the guine pigs are testing the waters for us right now. (No offense, guinea pigs  :wink:)  
I've played my ps2 for hours and hours without any crashes. I have the newest slim model though and know the launch ps2's had plenty of disc read errors and other problems. There have been so many different models and upgrades from the launch of the ps2 to the current slim model that it's almost perfect.
Same thing with the original Xbox, and as it'll be the same with the 360 and ps2 when it comes out.
Getting a launch console is just the risk you take as they can't make the new ones better unless they know what's wrong with the first ones.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Mustang66
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »

I heard that too but I think mine's louder than my Xbox.  Fan noise.  However, I have my Xbox in my A/V cabinet and the 360 is on top out in the open, so that could be part of it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 10:00:34 PM »

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »

Huh. this is dissapointing. I very rarely get crashes with my PS2 or XBox. Hopefully the software updates through live or something will help this problem, thats annoying.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 04:20:21 AM »

^^^If he knew how quickly guinea pigs can drop a mound of poop pellets, he wouldn't put that thing anywhere near his mouth.  Those things are deadly when they get their pooper going.

In memory of my sister's long departed guinea pig, my thoughts can best be expressed by paraphrasing the great Winston Churchill, "Never was so much poop dropped in so many places by one animal."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 02:40:32 PM »

Well... my 360 does not appear to like my DVD's of Equilibrium or Volcano High.  It freezes within 10 minutes of starting.

So far it hasn't frozen on Troy though so I'm wondering what the problem is.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »

Crash issues solved?
Some dude over at GameSpot Forums kept seeing his 360 crash every 20 minutes. He was able to pin-point the cause and saw that the Xbox’s huge, hot battery was to blame. His overheating solution? Suspending the huge battery brick from a string. But, he even found an easier way: put the power supply on the edge of a cardboard box. He’s been playing straight for hours straight with no probs. Likewise, this seems to be working for other gamers and might save you that call to Microsoft. Still, the fact that people are resorting to MacGyver-like tactics to enjoy their brand new consoles is totally annoying.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 04:37:54 PM »

I had issues with Perfect Dark Zero crashing constantly (see other thread), but after moving my power supply out of my entertainment center and balancing it on the TV stand so most of it is open, it's working perfectly.

Sad, really - the system can take more heat than the power supply can.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »

Quote from: "Jarrodhk"
Well... my 360 does not appear to like my DVD's of Equilibrium or Volcano High.  It freezes within 10 minutes of starting.

Since Troy moves slow enough as it is, your 360 could be freezing up all the time and you'd never know it. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 05:11:12 PM »

A friend of mine was having problems with his 360 until he moved his power brick thingie out of the back of his entertainment center.

The 360 itself seems like it has less a problem with heat than that big-ass power supply apparantly does. Check out where you've got yours sitting if you're getting crashes. If it's sitting on thick carpet or tightly fit into an enclosed space you might be overheating your 360's power supply.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 06:42:54 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to try moving the power supply.  The thing is the system has been on and playing games for 6+ hours without any crashes or freezes.  Ten minutes into a DVD and it freezes.  I can still access the dashboard, forgot to mention that.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 06:57:43 PM »

For what its worth, the DVDs have to be from Region 1

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 07:32:54 PM »

Frankly Volcano High is a buggy pressing. I've had problems with it in 2 of 3 DVD players (and tested with 4 different disks).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2005, 09:42:11 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to try moving the power supply.  The thing is the system has been on and playing games for 6+ hours without any crashes or freezes.  Ten minutes into a DVD and it freezes.  I can still access the dashboard, forgot to mention that.

If you can access the dashboard, it isn't a true crash. Whenever PDZ crashed for me, it was a total unresponsive system lock. Nothing worked short of holding down the power button on the console to shut the thing down.

I'm guessing it's an issue with reading the DVD, and unlike most DVD players, the 360 isn't just trying to move forward past the error. It just shuts down the movie and gives up.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 10:09:28 PM »

That would make sense.  Wonder if it's a software thing or hardware thing.  It would be nice to get a patch (like the ps2 DVD drivers) and be golden.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: