http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 04:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 360 Agony!  (Read 2536 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2005, 06:08:06 PM »

I walked into ToysRUs this morning....

They got 4 units in last night.   Sold two last night and two right before I got there.

frown  frown  frown  frown

I almost had one....my wife was severely disappointed when I told her.  I guess I shouldn't tell her because she already hates the machine for this whole fiasco in the first place....
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »

You are cursed when it comes to the 360!

I'm guessing you get one within the week...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 06:28:15 PM »

Heh, yeah my Target had 6 in this morning all of which had disappeared when I showed strolled in at 8:15am.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:35:50 PM »

I SOOOO love how they are showing up all over store shelves in small numbers but Ebgames and preorder places are getting JACK SHIT.    I love it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
I SOOOO love how they are showing up all over store shelves in small numbers but Ebgames and preorder places are getting JACK SHIT.    I love it.

Blame EB and Gamestop.....not Microsoft. Your preroder is available right now online for $1000 in one of their bundles that are in stock!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 07:11:47 PM »

(reposted from other thread)

msduncan, I recommend you try some GameCrazy's if you have Hollywood video anywhere nearby. I was talking to the clerk at my local GC, and he was remarking on how well treated they were in regards to stocking of the 360s in comparison to EB and Gamestop. They were expecting some this week for sure.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 07:16:23 PM »

I walked into ToysRUs this morning....

They got 4 units in last night.   Sold two last night and two right before I got there.

frown  frown  frown  frown

I almost had one....my wife was severely disappointed when I told her.  I guess I shouldn't tell her because she already hates the machine for this whole fiasco in the first place....

I had a similar experience on Tuesday when I got to Target 5 minutes before it opened, only to discover that the one 360 they had for sale went to the one other guy that got there before me. It was an awful feeling.

On a more positive note, it does seem like more and more units are trickling into stores this week. If  you were tempted to go the ebay or craigslist route, today might be the day to do it since so many sellers are fearing an upcoming increase in availably units (2 local sellers I had contacted earlier in the week wrote me this morning to tell me they were willing to now take my original offer). Prices have dropped over the past few days. Of course, by Monday when many people still don't have their 360s for Christmas, I expect the prices to rise again, at least for the week. Good luck finding one, msd. I had to comprimise my principles and pay a little more to a local seller, but it was worth it just to avoid any future agony in searching for the thing.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 08:53:55 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Blame EB and Gamestop.....not Microsoft. Your preroder is available right now online for $1000 in one of their bundles that are in stock!

I KNOW!!!!!!!!     :x  :x  :x

Makes me not want to ever shop there again!  The jerks told me in Sept when I preordered that I'd have it on launch day.    :x
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 08:58:57 PM »

Best Buy is going to have a bunch in stock this Sunday. Get in early and be prepared to camp. Looks to be your best possibility at that point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Best Buy is going to have a bunch in stock this Sunday. Get in early and be prepared to camp. Looks to be your best possibility at that point.

Define early?

If I have to camp overnight in the cold rain (forecast for Savannah this weekend) then it will be impossible.   I already am fighting a 3 week daycare cold and have been prescribed Biaxin and Predisone.   If I went camping in cold wet overnight I'll give myself pseunomnia.

If I could get up at 5:30 and go up there at 6....   I could handle that.   I wonder if that would be no hope though.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »

msduncan I suggest you contact the local BB to see how they are handling this release of the 360.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 09:26:30 PM »

Blame Microsoft also damn! It's not like they didn't see this coming. They just wanted to get what they had out in time for Christmas, can't really blame them for wanting to cash in in time for the holiday season, right? I wish they would have just waited until the new year though and maybe then they could have gone with HD-DVD or Blueray or something.. lots of rumors going around about how in the next couple of years Xbox 360 games will have to come on several discs while the PS3 ones only need one since Microsoft went the "old" DVD route. Games even now are filling up the entire double layer discs, and as they improve graphics and all, it's only going to get harder for developers.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 09:43:19 PM »

My local best buy reports:

Opening at 8 am.

They will have around 20 units here in Savannah.  

Sounds like if I wanted one I might have to camp out in the freezing rain and die of a disease or something....
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »

Opening at 8 am.

Sounds like if I wanted one I might have to camp out in the freezing rain and die of a disease or something....

It would be worth it! This thing is teh roxx0rs!

LiveTAG: happydog
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 11:20:20 PM »

Opening at 8 am.

please do, I'm debating on merging all your threads to have one ultimate whine thread biggrin
Grue
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 11:33:58 PM »

msduncan...

I preordered from EB online in early September as well (missed the initial shipment cutoff by 10 days.)

As a result, I was one of the insane jackasses that waited in line for 16 hours overnight in front of a local Best Buy to get one on launch day.  I then spent the next week in bed with a wicked case of the flu.

I learned some important (and even conflicting) things from that experience:

- Fellow hardcore gamers are generally very nice.
- Blue Jeans might as well be wax paper at 3AM, for all the warmth they provide.
- I can go 16 hours without a restroom, but not comfortably.
- Murdering a "line-jumper" sometimes qualifies as justifiable homicide.
- I'm too old for that "camping in line overnight" sh*t.
- The 360 rawks my sawks off.

In the end, I think you'll be very happy when you finally get one.  Best of luck to ya!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 10:22:33 AM »

The store closest to me, at the Westminster mall, is getting 84 units according to the list.

This mall is actually one of the less used malls, but I suspect the best buy there gets a bit of traffic.

I'll probably drive by there early sunday morning and see how things look.  I've resigned myself to getting a box next year.  The only reason why I wanted one for Christmas was to either ebay the thing for much needed college money, or as something to wow my family members with and play some racing/sports games with them on it during Christmas.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 02:54:07 PM »

I was about to write up a about about how even if the Westminster mall's Best Buy is a ghost town, it certainly won't be the Sunday before Christmas 'cause anything on Westminster gets a shit-ton of business.

Then I realized I was thinking Westheimer.  As Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say, "Nnnnnnnneverminnnnnd."  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 03:08:11 PM »

I just looked at the site and they are not in stock. They are taking preorders for an estimated release of 1/31. I repeat that's January 31.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 04:44:39 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

I just looked at the site and they are not in stock. They are taking preorders for an estimated release of 1/31. I repeat that's January 31.

Well they were in stock for awhile on the website and some people got theirs shipped out already. Yeah, they are not in anymore...maybe because of the backlash?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 04:57:48 PM »

Yeah, they are not in anymore...maybe because of the backlash?

No idea. While the website operates separately from the retail stores, it isn't much fun to come here and get (and by that I don't mean personally nor do I mean that people don't have a right to get fired up about all this) reamed because the website inexplicably has units. I work for the company and it pains me that people are ticked off.

At any rate, I can tell you that we have received emails suggesting that we apprise customers of their other options (i.e. Best Buy etc) for those anxious to have systems in time for the holidays. I've also been suggesting to people that they keep us in mind for their software and accessory needs after they locate systems. I want people to find systems, but want to retain some of their business if I can.

I'm expecting to see a run on 360 games and accessories starting tomorrow when the units go on sale at Best Buy. Keep this in mind, and if there is stuff you are planning to buy, you may want to go ahead and get it now. I'm not clear on how restocking will be impacted by the holidays.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 04:37:02 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I went to Best Buy today (Saturday) at 2 PM to buy Animal Crossing and there were already 30 people lined up.  Insane!  I had given some thought to getting up really early on Sunday morning and waiting in line for 4 hours or so but that's not going to work.  I knew there would be a line, but I didn't think it would be that big 20 hours prior to the Sunday's opening!

My store expects 42 premium units.  I'd say those were gone spoken for by 5 PM.

It was wild seeing people sitting in lawn chairs all bundled up and under sleeping bags while tons of people were walking around.  This is the last weekend before Christmas and the place was PACKED.  I walked through the line telling everyone "good luck" and let them know they finally got another shipment of Animal Crossing.  People were real friendly.  Almost made me want to sit down in there line and just get to know some random strangers that share the same hobby.  I just wonder what they do about the bathroom...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 04:41:39 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I wish they would have just waited until the new year though and maybe then they could have gone with HD-DVD or Blueray or something.. lots of rumors going around about how in the next couple of years Xbox 360 games will have to come on several discs while the PS3 ones only need one since Microsoft went the "old" DVD route. Games even now are filling up the entire double layer discs, and as they improve graphics and all, it's only going to get harder for developers.

If it's good enough for Nintendo it's good enough for Microsoft.  And before Devil brings it up, Nintendo makes money which Microsoft's Xbox division would someday like to do so it just makes sense!

I doubt it's going to be a big deal.  Like I said, there are Game Cube games that are on multiple discs, just like there are PS2 games on multiple discs and PS1 games before that.  Sure, it'd be great to have bigger disc capacity, but it's probably way down on the wish list.  I'd rather have a HDD in every box or the extra RAM they actually did add.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 06:24:47 PM »

Just an FYI as to more insanity:

My brother said that the Circuit City he visited this weekend in Hampton Roads, VA got a shipment.  They sold ALL of their stock to employees.  The general public had no access whatsoever.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 12:20:35 AM »

If it's good enough for Nintendo it's good enough for Microsoft. And before Devil brings it up, Nintendo makes money...

THANKS!!

There was no reason for MS to wait. They had some product ready to go, why not sell it? I really don't think the goal was to piss people off, create hysteria or some other conspiracy. Thay have a few systems right now and they are selling them.  

You get "hot items" at X-Mas all the time, Cabbage Patch, Tickle Me Elmo, PS2, etc.. 6 months later you see them all over the place. This time it effects us as gamers again. It may suck but, that's just the way it is sometimes.

I feel bad for everyone who wants one but can't get them. I'm sure MS would LOVE to sell a billion this month but it's obvious that they don't have the means.

In April we'll be hearing how there was a stack of 360s 10 high at every Best Buy and that will be the next crisis....

tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 12:41:04 AM »

been gaming since pong.. and if time has taught my anything , it is patience. I seriously don't get the whole "first" thing when it comes to game consoles. Why be such a rush to get a system when there really isn't a library out yet?  
 I have played the 360, its nice, nothing revolutionary however. Considering the power of the pc games, and the great titles out this xmas, not sure what all the rush is about.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 02:38:10 AM »

Well said.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 02:50:44 AM »

Basically my wife would like for me to have it under the tree on Christmas.   If we don't make it in time to get it by Christmas (which means precious few days left) then we'll just hunt around here to avoid any shipping costs.    As of right now though, she's willing to pay shipping if it means having it under the tree.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 03:22:01 AM »

been gaming since pong.. and if time has taught my anything , it is patience. I seriously don't get the whole "first" thing when it comes to game consoles.

There's nothing that would like to get the day it comes out (or around there)?

People line up for movies on opening night, etc.. Lockdown even gets in line for American Idol every year.

Considering the power of the pc games, and the great titles out this xmas, not sure what all the rush is about.

Rule #1 of GT!!! Haven't seen this one in a while!

biggrin

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 10:17:25 AM »

Hey Msduncan: I've been following your x-box 360 saga since the beginning. I must say that as jealous as I am that there are those who can afford to buy one, I'm pulling all the way for you.

I have to comment on your wife's dedication to you and your hobby.

God bless her little cotton socks for being such a help and not a nagging hinderance..(not that my wife is the later by any means) :wink:

I'm sure you will, but make sure you get her something extra special this Christmas for being such a good sport.
 :lol:

All the best in you hunt for the wild and elusive 360....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »

Try this: Wait!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 12:35:47 PM »

Quote from: "Arclight"
Hey Msduncan: I've been following your x-box 360 saga since the beginning. I must say that as jealous as I am that there are those who can afford to buy one, I'm pulling all the way for you.

I have to comment on your wife's dedication to you and your hobby.

God bless her little cotton socks for being such a help and not a nagging hinderance..(not that my wife is the later by any means) :wink:

I'm sure you will, but make sure you get her something extra special this Christmas for being such a good sport.
 :lol:

All the best in you hunt for the wild and elusive 360....

Thanks for the great sentiments!   I'm afraid the game is getting less possible to win with each passing day.    Since I had to work this morning, my friend who is also looking out for me went up to Walmart last night and was going to call me at 2 in the morning if they followed through like they claimed and got some in on the truck.  (something they told him in the wee hours of Monday morning).    I didn't get a call, so I'm going to give him a buzz within the hour and I'll report back here as to what they told him when he showed up like they told him to at 2 am.

If he'd have called I had clothes laid out like a fireman suit to jump into them and run out the door....   Tongue
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 12:47:31 PM »

Interested in one after xmas?   I have talked to some of my local stores and they say their shipments are expected the 26th.  If I can nab one after, are you interested or was it a by xmas or forget it for awhile thing?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Interested in one after xmas?   I have talked to some of my local stores and they say their shipments are expected the 26th.  If I can nab one after, are you interested or was it a by xmas or forget it for awhile thing?

I'll talk to the wife when she gets a break at lunch and let you know.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: